• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Norton 360 Won't Scan

I'm having issues running scans, both the full and quick. I've looked through a great number of related posts and tried the same suggestions without success. I have Norton 360 6.2.5? I can run a full scan on safe mode, but it remains at 0 items scanned when I try it on normal mode. By then, it causes my computer to freeze, and I have to manually power it off. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, and I checked for live updates. I've used the Norton Power Eraser too. Nothing has worked. This has been going on for several days now, and I am very frustrated. Please help!

P.S.. I've also used the get help tool on Norton and it told me Norton was working correctly.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 Won't Scan

I'm having issues running scans, both the full and quick. I've looked through a great number of related posts and tried the same suggestions without success. I have Norton 360 6.2.5? I can run a full scan on safe mode, but it remains at 0 items scanned when I try it on normal mode. By then, it causes my computer to freeze, and I have to manually power it off. I've uninstalled and reinstalled it several times, and I checked for live updates. I've used the Norton Power Eraser too. Nothing has worked. This has been going on for several days now, and I am very frustrated. Please help!

P.S.. I've also used the get help tool on Norton and it told me Norton was working correctly.

Kudos0

Hi JMBiebuyck,

Could you tell us what version of Windows you are using,  including Service Packs?  Do you have any other security programs installed?  What was installed before N360?  Did you use that programs removal tool? (Important)

You mention you have uninstalled  Have you used the Norton Removal Tool?  If not,  Please export your ID Safe data to a safe place.

Uninstall and reboot,  then run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot again.  Next,  sign in to your Norton Account to download a fresh copy.  Remember to run Live Update,  rebooting where required,  until no more updates are available.  Import your ID Safe data.

Please let us know how you get on.

Dave.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

I am using Windows 7 v6.1 Service Pack 1. I had Windows Defender as secondary security, but Norton disabled it. I've had this laptop two years and Norton is the only security I have on it. It was working fine until I downloaded an update for Norton, not a live update. I did use Norton Removal Tool twice, but the third time I went through the control panel. Norton still prompted me through the removal process. I've checked multiple times for live updates. I will try the Norton Removal Tool one more time.

Kudos0

Just to rule out anything sinister,  you might consider downloading the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/.  The free version is Norton compatible so you can keep it as a good on-demand scanner.  Decline the offer of the trial Pro version as it can conflict with Norton.  Update it and run a full scan.

Dave.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

JMBiebuyck wrote:

I am using Windows 7 v6.1 Service Pack 1. I had Windows Defender as secondary security, but Norton disabled it. I've had this laptop two years and Norton is the only security I have on it. It was working fine until I downloaded an update for Norton, not a live update. I did use Norton Removal Tool twice, but the third time I went through the control panel. Norton still prompted me through the removal process. I've checked multiple times for live updates. I will try the Norton Removal Tool one more time.

Does the update you refer to mean upgrading from V5 to V6?

You already have the Norton Removal Tool, so now download a fresh copy of n360 from here for 360 Standard.

or here for 360 Premium

Run the removal tool, then reboot.

Run the install for the correct version of 360.

Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Also try running "chkdsk  /R" on your hard drive to eliminate the possibility the hard drive is failing

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I tried the removal method and malwarebyte. I'm having the same problem with the malwarebyte; it keeps freezing up. And my Norton still won't scan. I did run the chkdsk /R. It didn't list any problems or errors. I'm not sure what to do next. It will run in safe mode though.

Kudos0

Does Malwarebytes completely freeze, llok like it's going really slow or just shut down??

Quads

Kudos0

It stops at the same number. I waited about half an hour for it to change. Then it greys out and says it has stopped responding. It freezes up my computer and won't let me do anything else. I have to manually shut it down. This is only in normal mode. All the scans work in safe mode.

Kudos0

Does Norton stop at the same file??

Quads

Kudos0

No, Norton won't scan at all. It sits a zero for hours. I just completely removed Norton, redownloaded it, and did a live update. I noticed that whenever I do that, the live update screen will say that it hasn't been updated for two, three days, though I've been doing multiple live updates. I will restart my computer, do a live up date (it says everything is up-to-date) and then attempt to scan (either full or quick). It justs sits there, not scanning and freezing up my computer. I troubleshooted malwarebyte and the report was clean. 

Kudos0

Download  GMER from http://www.gmer.net/ and run it

Quads

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Are you having trouble getting that to run a scan and log to??

Quads

Kudos0

Downloaded the gmer.com and scanned my computer. It said there was no system modification. Did another live update and attempted to run a full scan. Full scan is working, so it appears everything is okay. Thanks for all the help.

Kudos0

GMER a lot of the time does not know what is modified and what is not, It's an advanced tool that most people in percentage do not understand and rightly so.

Quads

Kudos0

Well thank you for advising me to download something that I wouldn't understand.

I'm not sure what your comment meant, but my Norton actually is still not working;  I'm just too frustrated to continue. As soon as my subscription ends, I will be switching back to my old protection. I did want to thank you for putting in all that time, though in the end it did nothing to help with my problem. Question: How do I uninstall all the programs I had to download? 

Kudos0

JMBiebuyck wrote:

Well thank you for advising me to download something that I wouldn't understand.

I tell people to download programs most don't understand From Hijackthis, OTL, aswMBR, GMER, FRST.................

I am not dealing with this thread anymore for it,

others can give it a go.

Quads

Kudos0

JMBiebuyck wrote:

No, Norton won't scan at all. It sits a zero for hours. I just completely removed Norton, redownloaded it, and did a live update. I noticed that whenever I do that, the live update screen will say that it hasn't been updated for two, three days, though I've been doing multiple live updates. I will restart my computer, do a live up date (it says everything is up-to-date) and then attempt to scan (either full or quick). It justs sits there, not scanning and freezing up my computer. I troubleshooted malwarebyte and the report was clean. 

Sorry I missed this one before. Have you checked your System date and time? If the product thinks it is not up to date, it could hamper the scans.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.

Replies are locked for this thread.