• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos2

Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

I keep getting a Norton info alert box that pops up telling me that:

You have turned off your
antivirus protection.
Your PC will be vulnerable
to viruses and other threats.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm running : Win XP // Norton Internet Security version 19.7.1.5

When I bring up NIS it says "System Secure."  What explains this divergence of status?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.


gmoritz wrote:

I keep getting a Norton info alert box that pops up telling me that:

You have turned off your
antivirus protection.
Your PC will be vulnerable
to viruses and other threats.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

---------------------------------------------------------

I'm running : Win XP // Norton Internet Security version 19.7.1.5

When I bring up NIS it says "System Secure."  What explains this divergence of status?


Have you run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available?

Run Autofix by clicking on Support - Get Support. This will check you installation and fix anything it finds.

Try running a full system scan in Safe Mode. That way any malware cannot hide behind running Windows processes.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Thanks for the reply.  It may or many not be true that I may need to manually override

live update,it needs autofix and a full system scan, but Norton is both saying :

You have turned off your antivirus protection. <<< and >>> System Secure.

I was looking for an explanation of this status conflict.

If I really had antivirus protection turned off, it doesn't seem

to me that it would report System Secure. This appears to be a bug.

I got NIS because it is always updated and always scanned.

If the solution to having this message pop up is to start manually intervening, that's a defect.

There are a few things up with which I will not put.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.


gmoritz wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  It may or many not be true that I may need to manually override

live update,it needs autofix and a full system scan, but Norton is both saying :

You have turned off your antivirus protection. <<< and >>> System Secure.

I was looking for an explanation of this status conflict.

If I really had antivirus protection turned off, it doesn't seem

to me that it would report System Secure. This appears to be a bug.

I got NIS because it is always updated and always scanned.

If the solution to having this message pop up is to start manually intervening, that's a defect.

There are a few things up with which I will not put.


Hi gomoritz,

I understand what you are saying and I also understand that you basically asked for a fix for the conflict of situations you seem to have.  Peterweb suggested some things to try to fix you situation, but it seems you are not too receptive to that assistance - but rather thinking it is a bug. 

Do you have a Fix It button available in NIS?  If so that is why it is there - to automatically scan you system and attempt to locate what is incorrect in your installation (if anything) and ifx it if it can.

If you do not desire to manually intervene and think that it is a defect and feel everything that goes wrong with all programs should be automatically corrected, I have to disagree with you.  Most programs require some kind of human intervention - Norton is no different.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

> I understand what you are saying and I also understand that you basically
> asked for a fix for the conflict of situations you seem to have. 

As long as we are being condescending, then -no- you do not understand what I am
saying or what I asked for.  I asked "Does anyone know why this is happening?"

I want to know why a message is saying that I have turned off antivirus protection.

It has only popped up twice - the first time a month ago.

If NIS says "System Secure" then there is no reason for me to spend an
inordinate amount of time on something when NIS says everything is fine.

> Peterweb suggested some things to try to fix you situation, but it seems
> you are not too receptive to that assistance - but rather thinking it is a bug.

Fix what?  I want to know what the pop-up is telling me.
If you don't know then you don't know if I have a problem or not.

I don't even know what I am trying to fix.

> Do you have a Fix It button available in NIS?
> If so that is why it is there - to automatically scan you system
> and attempt to locate what is incorrect in your installation ...

No.  There is no Fix It button.  There is a big green banner that says
"System Status Secure"  It is huge and takes up a lot of screen real estate.

There is an old saying that goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I cannot get the pop-up to appear on command.

Now for the condescending bit:
-------------------------------
> If you ... feel everything that goes wrong with all programs should be
> automatically corrected, I have to disagree with you.  Most programs
> require some kind of human intervention - Norton is no different.

Please spare me.  Just because the system assigned me a name of "newbie"
does not mean that I am.  I don't want to know how to operate the program.

I want to know if anyone knows why NIS says both :

"You have turned off antivirus protection" and "System Secure"

Note that I am writing this for the second time.  You didn't seem to get it the first time.

My work on the computer keeps me plenty busy.  Some people get off on just
running a bunch of tests, but I don't have the time.  I've got work to do.

I don't need lectures on the need for human intervention.
That is not what I asked: 

__________________________ Antivirus protection is NOT turned off.
__________________________ I want to know why NIS says it IS.

I did not ask for a fix.

My assumption is that Norton employees monitor this board and might have seen this.
If not, I'm not going to spend a lot of time for a pop-up that shows up at random.

Your advice reminds me of the days when Norton would hijack my computer to do what

should have been background tests and the company said that you have to put up with

it.  This is not a bug.  You have to work around our control of your machine.

I was just days away from reformatting the hard drive and installing something else

when NIS was offerred by the company.

See?  "Reformatting the hard drive"  You think I am too prissy to get my hands dirty.

I want an explanation.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

When the pop up says that it has turned off a feature you can be sure that the feature is off. You can then do some troubleshooting to determine the cause. The system is still secure only because nothing more has happened. The first time you open a file, web site or some other activity that might compromise your securing that indication just might disappear.

As users we try to assist other users who ask for and need help. The process works best as a dialog. Should you choose not to particiapte this manner we will cease to irritate you with our attempts to assist.

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

You were asking why you were seeing the pop up and the secure message at the same time. I was trying to get you to check your installation, in case something might have gotten out of place as can happen with any Windows program from time to time. If you try my suggestions and nothing is fixed, then other suggestions would be forthcoming from the volunteers here.
Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

OK.  Thank you for answering my question.  I am certainly willing to do some legwork

if I know why.  I appreciate you giving explanation to this seemingly wrong message.

Re: .." ... pop up says tht it has turned off a feature, you can be sure that the feature is off. ..."

Wouldn't the first order of

Wouldn't the first order of business be to turn the feature back on?

I appreciate the need to find out why this is happening, but if I'm suddenly

without antivirus protection, I should have a switch to turn it back on.

For the two times this has happened, when I looked at the Computer/Network/Web ...

settings, and everything is green and turned on.

Are you saying that my installation might be compromised and is sending false

information to the control window?  Just what do I believe?

It seems to me that I would need to deinstall and reinstall NIS to be sure.

If it is that compromised then any results from any scan would be suspect.

You can see my concern here.  This is a binary thing.  Either it

is working or it is totally hosed ( even though it doesn't look hosed ).

Ever hear the expression " ... a little pregnant?"

Again, thank you for answering the question.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

I was trying to avoid a re install by having you use Autofix to check the installation.

Usually when a feature is turned off there is a button to "fix" the problem. If that is not showing it could indicate a problem with your installation.

Start with the Autofix and if that does not help and if you want to reinstall, you can download and run the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool found here.

If you use Identity Safe, be sure to backup/export your data, just in case.

Also be sure to manually run LiveUpdate a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Hi gmoritz,

Welcome to the Norton Community.

A few more questions if I may since I did not see these addressed earlier:

1. What SP do you have on Windows XP?

2. Do you have any other security software installed besides NIS?

3. When you first observed the warning message did anything out of the ordinary precede that occurrence or since then?

4. Just to be sure....You said the warning message was from NIS but I just want to double check this or could the message have been from Windows?

Best wishes.

Allen

Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64 bit, 32 GB * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32* Ghost 15 * IE 9, Firefox, Safari. Test laptop with W7 Home Premium 64 bit * NIS Vers. 21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Sorry to be so late getting back to this thread. 

I didn't reinstall and I didn't do anything else.

I have not seen the message since last posting.

1. SP3

2. No other secuirty software.

3. The message just pops up and then fades away.  Nothing wierd before/after.

If it stayed up long enough, I would get a screen capture since it does not

appear that there is anyone else who has ever seen this message.  Ever.

4. It looks like an NIS message.  If I could get a picture, that would be good,

but my screen capture software would need to be running at the time and it would

have to be set for capture desktop and not just a window.

It would be really good if someone had actually seen this pop-up from the Taskbar

before.  It would lend a sense of urgency if someone had seen it and then saw

something bad happen later.  I regularly go into my NIS control panel - and nothing.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Does this message come up just after starting your system or just after logging in? If so was it a long time since your last log in?

If this is what occurred, Norton may be letting you know that it needs to get its updates before protection is ready. By the time you start the Norton UI, the updates probably took place, so your system would show as Secure.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Hi gmoritz,

The wording of the notice confirms that it is a Norton product alert, not a Windows alert.  However, if Auto-Protect had actually been turned off and left off, the alert notification would not fade away quickly, but would stay until you closed it.  So it sounds like some sort of momentary disruption that is shutting down the antivirus.  The notice goes away as soon as the AV protection becomes enabled again.  When is this occurring? 

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

>> peterweb :
> Does this message come up just after starting your system or just after
> logging in? If so was it a long time since your last log in?

> If this is what occurred, Norton may be letting you know that it needs to get

> its updates before protection is ready. By the time you start the Norton UI,

> the updates probably took place, so your system would show as Secure.

>> SendOfJive :
> The wording of the notice confirms that it is a Norton product alert,
> not a Windows alert.  However, if Auto-Protect had actually been turned
> off and left off, the alert notification would not fade away quickly,
> but would stay until you closed it.  So it sounds like some sort of momentary

> disruption that is shutting down the antivirus.  The notice goes away as

> soon as the AV protection becomes enabled again.  When is this occurring?

OK, I monitored a few occurrences and the "banner" says it is a Norton
message - coming out of the Taskbar Notification area.

(1) I have noticed that it shows up after I log in in the morning, but not
every time and not that I have noticed if I have had it off for a few hours.

(2)The theories above look good, but I would think the banner message would be

logged, but it is not.  The [Security History] shows an entry last night where

it performed LiveUpdate Session and an entry now where I'm in the Norton Community

Watch Feedback.  There is nothing about turning off antivirus protection.

I'm going to set my Screen Capture settings to 'Whole Desktop' and

see if I can capture this little bugger when I log in first time.

If I get it, I should be back sooner next time. 

It's so intermittent, that I forget that this thread exists - hence the late replies.

Maybe I'll get a capture and will be back in a couple of days.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Hi gmoritz,

What is your Norton "Enable Boot Time Protection" option setting?  You can find this in Computer > Real Time Protection.  If it is set to "OFF" this may be a case where Norton is detecting its own delayed startup - the program health status is reporting before all of the Auto-Protect components are fully loaded.  As soon as everything loads, the alert goes away.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.


gmoritz wrote:

>> peterweb :
> Does this message come up just after starting your system or just after
> logging in? If so was it a long time since your last log in?

> If this is what occurred, Norton may be letting you know that it needs to get

> its updates before protection is ready. By the time you start the Norton UI,

> the updates probably took place, so your system would show as Secure.

>> SendOfJive :
> The wording of the notice confirms that it is a Norton product alert,
> not a Windows alert.  However, if Auto-Protect had actually been turned
> off and left off, the alert notification would not fade away quickly,
> but would stay until you closed it.  So it sounds like some sort of momentary

> disruption that is shutting down the antivirus.  The notice goes away as

> soon as the AV protection becomes enabled again.  When is this occurring?

OK, I monitored a few occurrences and the "banner" says it is a Norton
message - coming out of the Taskbar Notification area.

(1) I have noticed that it shows up after I log in in the morning, but not
every time and not that I have noticed if I have had it off for a few hours.

(2)The theories above look good, but I would think the banner message would be

logged, but it is not.  The [Security History] shows an entry last night where

it performed LiveUpdate Session and an entry now where I'm in the Norton Community

Watch Feedback.  There is nothing about turning off antivirus protection.

I'm going to set my Screen Capture settings to 'Whole Desktop' and

see if I can capture this little bugger when I log in first time.

If I get it, I should be back sooner next time. 

It's so intermittent, that I forget that this thread exists - hence the late replies.

Maybe I'll get a capture and will be back in a couple of days.


Hi, gmoritz.  I have experienced the situation you describe in one situation only - after the update of ATI Video Drivers.

There is something about updating the ATI Catalyst Driver package - the whole thing - not just the drivers but the Drivers, the CCC and the Media Codecs (what used to be called the Avivo package) all-at-the-same-time - that gives NIS indigestion.

This is one of the reasons ATI recommend disabling anti-virus/firewall/anti-malware programs before installing Catalyst Driver Updates.

Note:  As far as I am aware - this "interference" problem is not unique to Symantec products.  ATI recommend this accross-the-board with security software from all manufacturers.

Fix procedure:

1. After the Catalyst Package has completed installing, it should ask you to reboot the machine in order to complete the installation process.  Do so as directed - do not delay this.

2. Once the machine has restarted - the Catalyst Package completes some housekeeping during the startup phase - which is where the Catalyst integration process and NIS get into a tussle over who is in charge.  NIS loses - the ccsvchst.exe process is shut down while Catalyst completes its install procedure - and NIS promptly throws a hissy fit.  Quite rightly so.

3. NIS "assumes" (yes, the mother of all screwups) that ccsvchst was shut down because something nefarious happened - and pops up a dialog asking you to "fix" what ain't broken.

4. All that is really required is to restart the machine again the moment the desktop appears and stabilizes after that first Catalyst reboot (all your items are in the System Tray, but none of those processes have yet spent any time doing anything).  At that point, Catalyst is completely installed and NIS has not yet had a chance to grumble.  Upon the subsequent reboot, Catalyst is completely finished its install-housekeeping - NIS starts without interruption - and all is again sweetness-and-light-in-the-world.

5. This problem seems to be exacerbated by the use of the "Agressive" setting for the NIS "Enable Boot Time Protection" option.  I have noticed that "Normal" is now the default for this setting - the above situation may have something to do with the change to the default value.

At least, the above is what goes on here.  I've seen this on my own machines a couple of times now - and  I now make a point of performing the abovementioned housekeeping process.  Nary a peep out of NIS since I adopted this procedure after each Catalyst update.

Note: I suspect that other software than Catalyst may be interfering with NIS startup - some for supposedly-harmless purposes and some for disreputable purposes.  It is not always easy to tell the difference.  The SysInternals tools called Autoruns and Process Explorer are your friends when it comes to diagnosing stuff like this.

Hope this helps.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

I have this message turn up about once every month or so. In fact it turned up about 30 mins ago whcih is why I have joined this forum and thread

Bottom right hand corner for about 5 secs. I will try to get a screen shot. Am using Win XP SP3

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.


wavering wrote:

I have this message turn up about once every month or so. In fact it turned up about 30 mins ago whcih is why I have joined this forum and thread

Bottom right hand corner for about 5 secs. I will try to get a screen shot. Am using Win XP SP3


What version is your NIS? Support - About

Does it just show up when you boot up?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Well two suggestions. Norton should allow copy and paste.

It is 6.3.0.14

and this forum should allow image attachments then people can post screen shots (otherwise, sigh, I have to waste time looking for a converter)

It seems to show up randomly

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

Kudos0

Re: Norton Info Alert - You have turned off your antivirus protection.

OK noted re adding images but every forum I have ever been on just allows image attachments - having to click on a tree seems bizarre. Why would I do that? Do you imagaine that people actually read guidance? Anyway here it is again

[edit: Please do not post identifying information per the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service.]

Replies are locked for this thread.