• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Double Click norton desktop icon nothing happens, click norton in start bar nothing happens.

I have Windows 7 home 64bit and I use the 2012 version of Norton Internet Security on a new pc. After a few weeks of running fine I ran into this problem: After start up I clicked on my norton desktop icon and nothing happened I waited about a minute for it to load then tryed to load it from the start bar and again nothing happened. I did have a icon next to my clock so I tryed clicking that and yet again nothing happened. I went to restart my pc and windows brought up the thing that it uses to force close a program when turning off the pc. After restart I clicked it and it loaded instantly like it normally would I did a live update and did a full scan with nothing found but some cookies. Iv had norton installed for a few weeks before this problem happened and after restart it seems to be working. Was this a virus that caused this? Or something wrong with windows? Iv never had this happen before and iv used norton for years. A bit worried, thanks in advance for any help.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Double Click norton desktop icon nothing happens, click norton in start bar nothing happens.

I have Windows 7 home 64bit and I use the 2012 version of Norton Internet Security on a new pc. After a few weeks of running fine I ran into this problem: After start up I clicked on my norton desktop icon and nothing happened I waited about a minute for it to load then tryed to load it from the start bar and again nothing happened. I did have a icon next to my clock so I tryed clicking that and yet again nothing happened. I went to restart my pc and windows brought up the thing that it uses to force close a program when turning off the pc. After restart I clicked it and it loaded instantly like it normally would I did a live update and did a full scan with nothing found but some cookies. Iv had norton installed for a few weeks before this problem happened and after restart it seems to be working. Was this a virus that caused this? Or something wrong with windows? Iv never had this happen before and iv used norton for years. A bit worried, thanks in advance for any help.
Kudos0

Re: Double Click norton desktop icon nothing happens, click norton in start bar nothing happens.

Hi Anime473,

It is unlikely to be virus.  I would click on Support > Get Support,  and let that run and check your installation.  It should fix any simple issues it finds.

I you are concerned about viruses & malware,  the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is Norton compatible and can be kept on your PC for a second opinion.  decline the offer of the PRO version.  You can download a copy here  -  http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

If it happens again,  come back and we can dig a little deeper.

Dave.

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32
Kudos0

Well so far so good. Still have clue why this happened or what caused it to not respond/crash when clicking the icon.
Kudos0

Anime473 wrote:
Well so far so good. Still have clue why this happened or what caused it to not respond/crash when clicking the icon.

Hi,
I have no positive clue but it only takes one bit out of place to cause a problem. There are a large number of reasons why this can happen which is why the program has its diagnostic and repair components.

It doesn't happen often but yours is not a unique experience.

Keep us posted and

Stay well and surf safe

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Kudos0

Things have been going fine for over a month and it happened again.

Replies are locked for this thread.