• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Can't open programs with left click

I have a very similar problem. I can't open programs with left click, I have to right click and open. I can't create working shortcut folders anymore. And Norton Quick Scan and Full System scan won't scan more than about 4000 items. I also can't close the Quick or Full System Scan, I have to either turn the computer off or log out of the computer.

As such, I did try the solution you posted, peterweb. However, Norton Autofix gave me this message:

Attention! We have failed to fix 1 item(s).

Repair ---------------------------------------------------------- Result

Internet Connectivity - Host File Cleanup ------------- Failed

Please click Open Support Web site for further assistance.

I'm using Windows XP on a Dell computer with Norton Internet Security.

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can't open programs with left click

I have a very similar problem. I can't open programs with left click, I have to right click and open. I can't create working shortcut folders anymore. And Norton Quick Scan and Full System scan won't scan more than about 4000 items. I also can't close the Quick or Full System Scan, I have to either turn the computer off or log out of the computer.

As such, I did try the solution you posted, peterweb. However, Norton Autofix gave me this message:

[edit: Clarified subject.]

Kudos0

TPC_II wrote:

Hi TPC_II,

I have asked a moderator to move your post to it's own thread as you are using a different product than the OP.  You should see a link to where it is moved.

Kudos0

This could indicate a problem with your hard drive.

To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Let us know if there are any errors found.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

No errors were found. Said the volume was clean. But I still can't left click, and Norton Quick Scan gets stuck still. This current scan only went to 4528 items scanned. However, it claims it's still working, but it never makes further progress.

Kudos0

And now Norton is suddenly broken. The shortcut on my desktop, the link in my program list, they don't let me even access Norton properly. Upon right-clicking these and hitting open, I was given this message.
Missing Shortcut
Windows is searching for uiStube.exe. To locate the file yourself, click Browse.

I'm not sure what happened to make the shortcut going missing, it was there last night when I had the computer on. I turned it off when I went to bed and just turned it on awhile ago to find this.

Kudos0

Don't disable Norton Tamper Protection.

Simple.

P.S. if Boot protection is off rootkits can easily disable Norton.

Kudos0

Um, I didn't. I don't even know where that is.

Kudos0

If you can get to the main UI, try clicking on Support - Get Support to run  Autofix to check your installation and fix what it finds.

If that does not work, it will probably be time to reinstall.

Let us know.

Kudos0

It says:

Norton Autofix
Attention - Norton Internet Security has encountered an error.
Error: 8506, 422
We were unable to find an automated fix for this issue. Please go to our Support Web site for further assistance.

So I followed the link it gave, sending me to another page. It told me to restart first, see if that helps, so I did, but it didn't do anything. So then the next step said to downloaded the Norton Remove & Reinstall tool and did all that.

And yet Quick Scan is still stopping in the 4000s. I'm not sure what to do next, so please help.

Kudos0

Just to confirm, you ran the Norton Removal and ReinstallTool and you still have the problem?

Kudos0

That's correct. I went through the process and it completed. I didn't see it mention an error in uninstalling or reinstalling either, so I assume it did the whole thing properly. But Quick Scan still gets stuck on random files after scanning through about 4000 items.

Kudos0

It looks like we need to do a more thorough reinstall. The Remove and ReinstallTool may leave some thingsmbehind so it knows what to reinstall.

The following procedure is more thorough in the uninstall phase.

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrt
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Click on the Download button beside your current product subscription. This will download and install a preactivated copy of your product.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.
Import your Identity Safe data.

Let us know if this helps

Kudos0

It didn't work... I did as you said, used the link, downloaded the thing, uninstalled it, reinstalled it, did LiveUpdate like four times, and it still gets stuck in the 4000s.

Kudos0

This thread is about not being able to open programs with left click. Is this still a problem, or is it just the scan issue now?

Do you now, or have you ever had any other security software on this computer? If so, you need to use the uninstall utility for that software to fully remove any remnants of that i stall.

Kudos0

Yes, that's still a problem. To make it clear, I can't open programs by left-clicking. I also can't open folder shortcuts or make them. And Quick Scan and Full Scan get stuck on random files after scanning about 4000 items.

I did actually have another security program on here, McAfee. Somehow it got downloaded through an Adobe Reader upgrade and I've had trouble trying to fully remove it. I'm not sure if it's completely gone, but I haven't seen it pop up in a long time.

Just to be sure, I checked Add or Remove Programs and I didn't see it. I'm pretty sure everything is uninstalled, and Search can't find anything.

Kudos0

TPC_II wrote:

Yes, that's still a problem. To make it clear, I can't open programs by left-clicking. I also can't open folder shortcuts or make them. And Quick Scan and Full Scan get stuck on random files after scanning about 4000 items.

I did actually have another security program on here, McAfee. Somehow it got downloaded through an Adobe Reader upgrade and I've had trouble trying to fully remove it. I'm not sure if it's completely gone, but I haven't seen it pop up in a long time.

Just to be sure, I checked Add or Remove Programs and I didn't see it. I'm pretty sure everything is uninstalled, and Search can't find anything.

Hi TPC_II,

Go to the following link:    http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Start with Step #2 under SOLUTION and download and run the McAfee Removal Tool.  When complete - reboot.  This should ensure all McAfee is removed from your system.

Now let peter know what problems you still have.

Kudos0

Incomplete Uninstallation
Some or all files may not have been removed successfully. See logs for more details.

It did give me a huge notepad of the log it made too, but it's too much for me to comprehend.

And Quick Scan still gets stuck. And I still can't left-click open programs. And Search says there's no McAfee files on the computer.

Kudos0

TPC_II wrote:

Do you have another mouse you can try? Maybe the left mouse button is failing.

Kudos0

Well I got ahold of another mouse and tried it, but the left-click problem still exists regardless of what mouse I use.

Kudos0

Hi TPC-II,

Did you by chance save the incomplete uninstallation log?  If so, please attach it to your next post -  perhaps we can spot something in it.

Kudos0

Yeah, here's the log file thing.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

TPC_II wrote:

Yeah, here's the log file thing.

Thanks - I went thru it rather quickly and yes I can see why they recommend sending it to McAfee techs to look at.  There does not appear to be many FAILS listed - but not knowing what they stand for is no help.  Sorryr - it was worth a shot though - perhaps a tech from Norton can understand it.

Kudos0

Well thanks for reading it anyway. So what now?

Kudos0

Good question - what now?

How about checking Start > Control Panel > Mouse > Buttons Tab > ensure Switch primary and secondary buttons is unchecked.

Kudos0

Have you been using an account with administrator privileges while doing this troubleshooting? The log you posted shows it was unable to establish trust.  This could indicate insufficient privileges

If not, try running the McAfee tool again from an admin account. Then run the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool again from the admin account.

The mouse issue would be a Windows issue. Do you use the default Microsoft drivers, or special drivers from the manufacturer, ie Logitech?

Kudos0

Yeah, I tried switching the mouse clicks before. All it did was result in switching the problem around.

Technically all the accounts on this computer do have admin powers, but I guess some features don't work since mine specifically doesn't have a password. So I'll try making and using an admin account.

And...nothing's changed. So yeah, here's the new McAfee log if you want to see it. I also did the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, but it didn't give me any unusual messages, so I don't know.

And yeah, I'm using a Dynex mouse. I've been using it for a few years now.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

TPC_II wrote:

And yeah, I'm using a Dynex mouse. I've been using it for a few years now.

If you are using the Dynex software, try downloading a fresh copy of the software. Uninstall the old software, reboot.

On rebooting, the default Windows driver should take effect. See if things work correctly. If they do, you can decide whether or not to install the Dynex software again.

Kudos0

Well, I'm back after being busy for a few days, and in those days I couldn't find the original mouse. It broke down years ago, so we stopped using it and stuck with this Dynex mouse since then. I also tried to find the software for the mouse, but couldn't find anything using Search or looking in Add or Remove Programs. I really don't see how it could be the mouse though, it's not like it has problem left clicking, it only is when I try to open programs like Paint, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.

Kudos0

And now Norton tell me the System Status is "At Risk". So it told me to click Fix Now, which then opened a Quick Scan, which...got stuck again. What should I do?

Kudos0

Is your XP fully updated to SP3?

Go into Device Manager and remove the mouse from there. Then reboot and windows will reinstall the mouse drivers.

See if any of this helps.

Kudos0

I'm not sure about SP3.

And I tried the mouse thing, no change.

Kudos0

TPC_II wrote:

I'm not sure about SP3.

And I tried the mouse thing, no change.

SP3 is the 3rd Service Pack for Windows XP.

I see that nobody in this thread suggested safe mode.  In Safe Mode, nothing except the core Windows files run.  That could test whether there is a conflict somewhere.  Test your mouse in there.

To get into safe mode, reboot your PC and repeatedly tap "f8."  Then chose "safe mode."

See http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm for more help on how to do this.

Bring back the ability to store passwords locally on the PC in Norton 2013 products | Add the ability to turn off "share" in the Norton 2013 products or remove share altogether | Malware on your PC? Keep calm wait for forum member "Quads" to respond. Do NOTHING else. See for more information. | Did you know you can upgrade your Norton products for FREE if your subscription is valid?
Kudos0

Well, I tried safe mode, the problem still exists in there.

I also noticed a line of text on the top of the screen in safe mode, and it mentioned Service Pack 3, so I guess I have it.

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

You could try this fix from "Kelly's Korner" which re-associates .exe links:

EXE FIX (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm) line #12

(maybe do a restore point before just in case it causes more problems)

Kudos0

Back to your mouse.  Is it a USB or PS2 connected mouse?

If it is a USB mouse, try using a different USB port on your computer. If possible, try one on the front of your computer.

If it is a PS2 mouse, see if you can get hold of a USB mouse to try.

Kudos0

Based on Peter's post, I suggest you try get a hold on another mouse and try that or try the mouse you have on another PC.  This is to test whether the problem lies with the mouse itself.

Bring back the ability to store passwords locally on the PC in Norton 2013 products | Add the ability to turn off "share" in the Norton 2013 products or remove share altogether | Malware on your PC? Keep calm wait for forum member "Quads" to respond. Do NOTHING else. See for more information. | Did you know you can upgrade your Norton products for FREE if your subscription is valid?
Kudos0

scarfy wrote:

Based on Peter's post, I suggest you try get a hold on another mouse and try that or try the mouse you have on another PC.  This is to test whether the problem lies with the mouse itself.

Yes. This is to check the physical mouse, but my suggestion also checks the physical ports on your computer that the mouse connects to.

Kudos0

To Peter: It's a USB mouse, so I tried it using the front port like you said. No change. I also tried the monitor ports. No change.

To scarfy: I did try a new mouse, but I tried it again using three different ports. No change.

To Davec33: Huzzah! That fixed it! I can open up all the programs now with left-click! Thank you!

And somehow that seems to have fixed Norton too! Quick Scan was moving pretty slow, but it actually finished, and now it says System Status: Secure. No idea what caused this craziness though, but I'm glad it's over.

Kudos0

Teamwork rules  

Glad you got it fixed. 

You might want to mark the post with the solution so others with similar problems can find a fix.

Kudos0

Done. Thank you guys, I really appreciated the help!

Replies are locked for this thread.