• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

Error: 3048, 3

I have received this error 5 times now today. Nothing has changed on the PC, no new programs, updates or anything.. All of a sudden, POW, this pops up. I have restarted, verified I have current deffinitions, downloaded and installed power eraser, nothing has worked. What the he!! is the message and how do I make it stop?

Norton 360
Windows 7 Professional
7601.17803.x86fre.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504
Norton Autofix Results: 0 item(s)

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Error: 3048, 3

Hi bpsevans,

You got part of the corrective action suggested in the Knowledge Based article for this error from here (Running the NPE)

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v68226310_EndUserProfile_en_us&lg=english&ct=us&product=home&version=current&pvid=f-home

but it appears you missed the small print at the bottom in red:

What if this didn't work?    Which will take you to this link: 

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?ct=us&lg=en&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=current&docid=v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us

Then if still no joy you should run the Norton Removal Tool as explained at the bottom of the above link.  Please note, even if the RnRT runs to completeion, if it does not fix your situation continue with the instuctins for the NRT. 

What if the Norton Remove & Reinstall tool fails

Please let us know what happens.

Kudos0

Thank You for this information. Unfortunatley I have already completed these tasks as I found your instructions in another forum concerning this. Once this proccess was complete, the message still returned.

Kudos0

bpsevans wrote:

Thank You for this information. Unfortunatley I have already completed these tasks as I found your instructions in another forum concerning this. Once this proccess was complete, the message still returned.

Same problem here!

Kudos0

bpsevans and vsnmx

Just to confirm, you did a complete uninstall using the Norton Removal Tool, then downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 360?

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here   www.norton.com/nrt
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Click on the Download button beside your current product subscription. This will download and install a preactivated copy of your product.
Run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.
Import your Identity Safe data.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I am afraid that this problem has been going on for a week now on my laptop. Full erasure, install, reinstall, ... Forgotten everything we have tried. Initially Norton 360 would work for a couple of days after reinstall and then get the error again. Now, it seems to be only hours.

Chat support hasn't helped resolve the problem either. The problem is that login safe along with Firefox locks up Firefox and I am forced to reboot to continue using the machine. I really want a fix.

Kudos0

Now, I seem to be consistently getting 11006, 2. One site says run update and reboot. The other says reinstall. Reinstall coming up.

Kudos0

After using the removal tool and reinstalling, I went through a sequence of liveupdates and reboots until there were no more updates.

Just when it looked like things were settling down, I received "8504,5". In the community discussion related to this error, a couple of participants talk of it possibly be caused by Firefox and Google updates. When I went to start Firefox, it wouldn't start so I am entering this through Internet Explorer.

I have for a while now disliked the way every Windows application installs its little startup program for updates or fast loading or whatever. If Firefox or Google are the cause of this then I also partly lay the blame with Microsoft and its poor OS architecture that helps cause crappy programming.

The instructions from Norton are to go through the reinstall process. Back to square one. Since this is the xth install this week and I am not making much progress, it looks like another call to Norton support is coming up.

At least through here, I have documented the sequence of errors and actions.

Kudos0

I decided to reboot without reinstalling and then do liveupdates. Three reboots and live updaes later, there were no more updates so I began to use the system.

Everything seemed to be working fine until I sarted Firefox. It asked me to setup the login vault which I declined and then got a "System Restart Needed" if I click either the "Vault Closed" or "Login Assistant". The as if triggered by Firefox, Norton popped up "Error: 11006, 2".

Norton 360
Error: 11006, 2
Windows 7 Home Premium
7601.17835.amd64fre.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030

Now, I have been here before but I am thinking that Firefox and the Norton Toolbar are no longer working together. So what version of Firefox works? The version of Firefox on this machine is 15.0.1. The version of Norton 360 is 20.1.1.2. I am not sure why but I had problems with Norton earlier on this machine that needed a reinstall and updated the version of Norton.

Our other machine hasn't had problems so is running Firefox 15.0.1 but is still on Norton 360 6.3.0.14. I will not be updating the version of Norton on this machine until this problem is resolved.

I am going to work through a process of disabling the web features of Norton in Firefox (particularly the login safe and see what happens).

Kudos0

I think that I am convinced that my problems stem from the use of the identity safe in Norton in Firefox. somewhere in Norton's versions, it no longer works with Firefox.

I will update if the faults reoccur.

Kudos0

You seem to have exhausted reinstalling Norton.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox?

Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

You seem to have exhausted reinstalling Norton.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox?

No, I had not considered that. In part because I rely heavily on tabs but I will consider doing it when I have some time to ensure that I have backed up the book marks and tabs. I lost all my logins stored in the identity safe so I don't really want to lose my links.

Kudos0

hi all i to have just had this error come up but in my case this is a new computer which has just been built. the only thing i have done is install norton 360 and updated it and bang this error came up. i never had any problems with 360 v6.0 it was perfect so lets hope this is just a random error and nothing bad.

ps not the best thing to see on a new build after getting it home from the shop :(

Kudos0

Last night I had Norton technicians looked at my machine. After a reinstall that didn't fix the problem, they claimed the problem was out of date video device drivers. I have just installed the latest NVIDIA drivers and have just started Firefox. I will update my post once I have checked Norton and identity safe.

Just went to open identity safe in Firefox and got the "System needs restarted" message and the Norton threw an 11006, 2 message. I am going to reinstall Firefox and Norton now.

Kudos0

Firefox and Norton reinstalled but the identity safe won't open. Rebooting to can attempted login to the identity safe.

Reboot has allowed me to access the identity safe and things look ok for the moment. If this does fix the problems then what have I done?

1) Updated the Video Drivers

2) Unistalled both Norton 360 and Firefox

3) Made sure there were no remnants of either programs in the program directories (identity safe didn't seem to be uninstalled) so I forced an uninstall.

4) Reinstalled Norton 360

5) Reinstalled Firefox

Am I confident the problems are solved? No.

Ok, the technicians saind that Norton 360 2013 was only released on 4 September and it seems they are aware of the problems. The latest version doesn't have a local identity safe. Not sure I am that keen on a cloud based identity safe.

Conversion from the old safe to the new seems unreliable forcing an reinitialise of the safe but Norton tells me they are working on a fix. I wish the install had warned me of the change.

We will see over the next few days how stable this is.

Kudos0

I don't seem to be getting any error messages but Firefox and the identity safe don't want to play together.

Kudos0

I have again disabbled the identity safe simply because it makes my system more stable not to have it switched on. I am trying to contact the Norton Case Manager but the email that I was given doesn't seem to be working.

Kudos0

hello again i had my system on for about 15 hours and didnt get anymore problems with norton 360. All i can think of is theres still afew problems with v7 as you said its only been out for afew weeks. i have done scan after scan and nothing has come up bad the only thing i can see was norton fixed a install problem. Never had any problems with v6 so its kind of a shame its happen now with v7. I will be keeping a eye on things and will update.

PS really video drivers as a problem??

Kudos0

LordWhitehead wrote:

PS really video drivers as a problem??

Any Windows program has to interact with every program or driver on a user's system. When the developers test, they will usually have the latest updates to everything on their system. If things work for them, they cannot possibly test on every one of the millions of possible combinations of hardware and software.

So yes. We are all testers when software first comes out. Only through our complaints and comments are the developers aware there is a problem. This is why corporations will wait until at least SP1 of an OS or program before deploying.

This is also why you may have multiple computers in your control and only have trouble with one.

Kudos0

A call from Norton support encouraged me to turn on the identity safe again but ...

This is what I have just emailed to them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure what is happening but Norton 360 seems to close its interface at regular intervals and when it does the identity safe no longer works in the browsers. Message is that the system needs restarted. Restarting the Norton interface and logging back into the identity safe seems to make it work again in the browsers.

Norton just closed down and from the tool bar in Google Chrome, I tried to access the settings and received a "Error: 11006, 2". Starting Norton 360 from the menu makes everything work again.

Norton setting panel just closed while I was trying to work with it. Started again when I went through the menus. Trying to find out how to enable the IE Norton tool bar. Doesn't even appear as an option in IE's manage addons.

Norton 360 wasn't allowing me into the  browser settings option and then closed. When I tried to restart it, I just received an "Error: 8504, 5". It now looks like I need to reboot the system.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something is really unstable in the product. I notice that updates are coming through almost by the minute. it is also continuing to close itself even with the identity safe closed.

Kudos0

I have just restarted after turning identity safe off and Norton 360 seems to be crashing (at least the interface is closing). Just trying an experiment with the interface closed.

I also notice that the icon vanishes from the task bar but can't tell whether Norton has actually stopped running. I am waiting to see whether I get any errors when I try to do something that requires Norton intervention.

When the icons and interface vanish, I can't tell whether the processes have stopped running. None of the processes are clearly identified as Norton. I notice there are unidentified nvxdsync.exe and nvvsvc.exe tasks running. You can possibly identify whether these are Norton processes. The Norton 360 service says it is running when the icon or interface is present but vanishes when the cancel or disappear.

I have just tried starting the service from the task manager. This hopefully means that no UI components are open. The service has still stopped. So now I don't think it has anything to do with the identity safe or UI.

I am wondering whether I can revert to an older version of Norton 360 that doesn't have these problems.

Kudos0

I have been receiving the 3048, 3 error code for over a week, as well.  I am NOT using the security vault, however.  We do primarily use firefox.  I have run the power eraser every day, removed and reinstalled norton several times, and continue to get the same error message.  ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Kudos0

kiwi-et wrote:

I have just restarted after turning identity safe off and Norton 360 seems to be crashing (at least the interface is closing). Just trying an experiment with the interface closed.

I also notice that the icon vanishes from the task bar but can't tell whether Norton has actually stopped running. I am waiting to see whether I get any errors when I try to do something that requires Norton intervention.

When the icons and interface vanish, I can't tell whether the processes have stopped running. None of the processes are clearly identified as Norton. I notice there are unidentified nvxdsync.exe and nvvsvc.exe tasks running. You can possibly identify whether these are Norton processes. The Norton 360 service says it is running when the icon or interface is present but vanishes when the cancel or disappear.

I have just tried starting the service from the task manager. This hopefully means that no UI components are open. The service has still stopped. So now I don't think it has anything to do with the identity safe or UI.

I am wondering whether I can revert to an older version of Norton 360 that doesn't have these problems.

If your current version was working and just startrd having problems, I don't think it would help to downgrade,

We may be dealing with a hardware issue. There may be a problem with your hard drive.

To check your hard disk, click on the Windows Start button. In the search box type CMD. Right click on cmd.exe and click on run as administrator. In the command prompt type "chkdsk c: /r"  without the quotes. A message will come up asking if you want to check the disk on the next restart. Answer 'Y'. Reboot and the check disk will run before Windows starts up. This check will check the file system as well as the physical disk surface. This scan can take a long time, depending on the size of your hard drive.

Let us know if the scan find anything.

Kudos0

Running a chkdsk was done early in this process to reveal that there were no problems.

Kudos0

A technician supposedly said my problems were fixed because when he logged into my machine everything was working. Not even five minutes after he logged in I discovered that the Norton 360 service was stopping. When it stops access to the identity safe stops and I am not sure what else stops.

If Norton don't have a fix by tomorrow evening, it is either downgrading or looking for an alternative.

Kudos0

Finally progress. I use a source control tools and it seems TortoiseSVN is interfering with Norton 360. Now that we have unistalled TortoiseSVN, Norton 360 seems to be stable.

I believe that through this process, there has been a number of problems. Hopefully this is the last and the product will return to being stable.

Kudos0

kiwi-et wrote:

Finally progress. I use a source control tools and it seems TortoiseSVN is interfering with Norton 360. Now that we have unistalled TortoiseSVN, Norton 360 seems to be stable.

I believe that through this process, there has been a number of problems. Hopefully this is the last and the product will return to being stable.

Ah ha.

Tortoise...I have seen and dealt with this one before. Sorry I missed it this time.

If things remain stalbe, please come back and mark this thread solved, so others can find the solution

Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

If things remain stalbe, please come back and mark this thread solved, so others can find the solution

Kudos0

kiwi-et wrote:

peterweb wrote:

kiwi-et
Look for the 'Accept as Solution' button at the bottom right of the post that solved your issue. Even if it is yours.
Kudos0

There is no "accept as solution" button. I suspect that is because I took over an existing discussion stream.

Kudos0

kiwi-et wrote:

There is no "accept as solution" button. I suspect that is because I took over an existing discussion stream.

Exactly - only the original poster (thread starter) has that option displayed. so that they are the onlyones who can mark their thread as solved.  Had yu starte another thread - you would have that option available to you.  That is why I have suggested n the past that the "me too" folks start a separate thread - especially since 9 times out of 10 the problems it turns out are not the same, or the resolutions are not the same.

That said, Guru's and above (Mods/Admins) do have the powers needed to mark solutions or to unmark solutions - but IMHO, it's not fair to the OP to do so, because they still may not have their initial post solved.

Kudos0

kiwi-et wrote:

As Yank confirmed, it is only the original poster that can mark a solution.

I guess I get confused sometimes. It does happen at my age  

Kudos0

I am sure the problems that I had were actually a series of problems but because the technical support didn't always explain what they were looking for and updates kept coming in almost on an hourly basis, it is dificult to conclude what each of the problems were. Two things did get changed.

1) The video drivers were updated to the latest version. I am not convinced that this actually corrected anything

2) TortoiseSVN was uninstalled. This did stop the N360 service stopping. At one stage, it was stopping, then restarting only to stop again about 15 minutes later.

It may be that the interaction with TortoiseSVN was the primary problem all along. What frustrates me a little is that I have no information as to why Norton 360 and TortoiseSVN interfered. If I did, I might be able to communitacte to the TortoiseSVN people about the problem and see it fixed. I hope Norton has taken the time to communicate to them.

Kudos0

kiwi-et wrote:

It may be that the interaction with TortoiseSVN was the primary problem all along. What frustrates me a little is that I have no information as to why Norton 360 and TortoiseSVN interfered. If I did, I might be able to communitacte to the TortoiseSVN people about the problem and see it fixed. I hope Norton has taken the time to communicate to them.

The Tortoise developers are aware of the issue and have issued a fix a few weeks ago. If you need that software, the latest versions are reported to not cause the problems.

Kudos0

I may check out the latest version but I am slowly converting my repositories to git.

Kudos0

Hi, I keep getting this same message and I have a new computer. IF we are all getting it I doubt it's a hard drive issue. I get another one as well 8504, 104. No one seems to know what these are and Norton just can't supply a fix nor tell us what causes them. Only just bought Norton (wish I hadn't) they only seem to care about taking money and not fixing error messages

Kudos0

What on earth is tortoise, how do I find out if I have it and how do I get rid of it. Thanks in hope

Kudos0

Drynet wrote:

What on earth is tortoise, how do I find out if I have it and how do I get rid of it. Thanks in hope

Tortoise is a developer tool, and you would not have it on your computer if you did not know what it is.

Kudos0

Drynet wrote:

Hi, I keep getting this same message and I have a new computer. IF we are all getting it I doubt it's a hard drive issue. I get another one as well 8504, 104. No one seems to know what these are and Norton just can't supply a fix nor tell us what causes them. Only just bought Norton (wish I hadn't) they only seem to care about taking money and not fixing error messages

Did your new computer come with any other security software installed? Even a trial version would have to be fully removed the the removal utility from that company unless it was the same Norton product you are trying to use.

For your Norton 360, be sure you have run LiveUpdate manually a few times, rebooting as necessary, until no updates are available.

Also, try clicking on Support - Get Support to run  Autofix to check your installation and fix what it finds.

Kudos0

Boy oh boy, this is the issue that will keep me from renewing my Norton this next time.  I started getting this error, did all the steps, ended up having to telephone Norton where somebody did all the smoke and mirrors steps like are indicated as the fix in this thread.  So disappointing that it never worked, especially after spending hours of removing, reinstalling, again and again etcetera.  It is a REAL issue, and Norton is NOT honestly addressing it if they tell you to do the Power Eraser thing.  There is a problem with their product, and it is sad that they either won't admit it or won't fix it.  I need to feel comfortable with the company holding my Internet Security in it's hands.  I have lost that confidence.  I hate to be this way, but you should lower your confidence level in Norton, as well as your expectations.  

Kudos0

Norton is not the cause of the error 3048, 3    It just flags it while scanning..

Norton directs you to look into device manager to see the problem only.   Do not make any corrections.  

Norton un-installing and re-stalling is not going to correct the problem.  Hhad it done already by Norton Tech.

SOLUTION:  Download the  FREE  MICROSOFT  FIX IT  Center  download.   The app with the little man with the wrench icon.

click   RUN THE DOWNLOAD.   This download should take you to a list of problems to be solved one of  which is the HARDWARE  and DEVICES.    CLICK ON THE CHECK BUTTON next to that problem.  It  explains what the download will do-    final step CLICK RUN.     That last step solved my problem.   Double checking to see that the problem was solved,  you can go back to Norton TUNE UP-DIAGNOSTIC REPORT  or   device manage.  You will see in device manager, the yellow  error signs are no longer there. 

Kudos0

GO TO MICROSOFT FIX IT CENTER DOWNLOAD.  NORTON IS NOT THE PROBLEM.    The problem is with the portable devices that are added to your computer.     microsoft fix it center can resolve problem without having to remove any of your portable objects. . 

Kudos0

bpsevans wrote:

I have received this error 5 times now today. Nothing has changed on the PC, no new programs, updates or anything.. All of a sudden, POW, this pops up. I have restarted, verified I have current deffinitions, downloaded and installed power eraser, nothing has worked. What the he!! is the message and how do I make it stop?

Norton 360
Windows 7 Professional
7601.17803.x86fre.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504

bps evans
USE THE MICROSOFT FIX IT CENTER DOWNLOAD TO SOLVE THIS ERROR PROBLEM 3048 3   Nothing else will work.   un-installing and re- installing will not solve. 

The microsoft fix it center is safe and free.  

Kudos0

Norton directs you to open DEVICE MANAGER.   Do not do any corrections-just look and see where the yellow error icon is located.     Mine was with portable devices.   I used MICROSOFT FIX IT CENTER download application to resolve.   It is safe and free.     Microsoft fix it center did not fix all my problems-but error 3048 3 was the most pressing and it was resolved.   It is worth trying this download-the error is with MICROSOFT.    

Kudos0

My error appeared right after I deleted all versions of Java and then ran CC cleaner. I think something Norton needed was deleted during this exercise.

Kudos0

This message has been moved to a thread of its own.

Replies are locked for this thread.