• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

norton toolbar extension in google chrome

Hello,
I am having an issue with the NORTON extension toolbar slowing and freezing webpage's when loading. I updated to 360you about 3 months ago and have not had a problem until about 7-10that days ago.
Page freezes when loading, I can't scroll or interact with page at all. If I open a new tab or go to different tab already open and come back, original page is fully loaded and operates fine.
I even bought a new router because, I bought a new laptop and problem was more prevalent. Thought maybe the wireless connection was acting up. I upgraded from a duo wireless N router WNDR3300 to an R6300 Widow Router 802.11ac Dual Band Gigabit. I still had issue with both PC's: desktop with ethernet cable router connection, and NEW laptop with wireless connection. Both PC's are running Windows 7 with NORTON 360. I disabled NORTON extension in chrome settings and problem goes away.
All my products are up to date. I leave PC on all the time with automatic updates enabled. I would like to know if there is a fix for this, or maybe NORTON doesn't know about it yet.
NORTON 360 version: 6.3.0.14
Desktop: win 7, 4G of memory, 500Gb hard drive, AMD Agglomerate II X2 255 processor 3.10 GHz.
Laptop: win 7, 8G of memory, 750Gb hard drive, 2640M(17) processor.

Thanks for help.
Jason

Replies

Kudos0

Re: norton toolbar extension in google chrome

Also, just contacted NORTON support, they told me to uninstall and reinstall chrome. I did and it did not help. I think this is a problem with NORTON Identity safe extension because it happens using Internet Explorer as well.

Jason
Kudos0

Hello,
I am having an issue with the NORTON extension toolbar slowing and freezing webpage's when loading. I updated to 360 about 3 months ago and have not had a problem until about 7-10 days ago.
Page freezes when loading, I can't scroll or interact with page at all. If I open a new tab or go to different tab already open and come back, original page is fully loaded and operates fine.
I even bought a new router because, I bought a new laptop around the time it started occuring and problem was more prevalent. Thought maybe the wireless connection was acting up and I had been debating upgrading my router anyway. I upgraded from a Netgear duo wireless N router WNDR3300 to an R6300 WiFi Router 802.11AC Dual Band Gigabit. I still had issue with both PC's: desktop with ethernet cable router connection, and NEW laptop with wireless connection. Both PC's are running Windows 7 with NORTON 360. I disabled NORTON extension in chrome settings and problem goes away.
All my products are up to date. I leave PC on all the time with automatic updates enabled. I would like to know if there is a fix for this, or maybe NORTON doesn't know about it yet.  Also, I just contacted NORTON support, they told me to uninstall and reinstall chrome. I did, and it did not help. I think this is a problem with NORTON Identity safe extension, as soon as I enable it the Freezing and slow loading starts happening immediately.

NORTON 360 version: 6.3.0.14
Desktop: Win 7, 4G of memory, 500Gb hard drive, AMD Athalon II X2 255 processor 3.10 GHz.
Laptop: Win 7, 8G of memory, 750Gb hard drive, 2640M(17) processor.

Thanks for help.
Jason

Kudos0

Similar problem occurring with Google Drive.

If enable Norton extension Google Drive initially connects, then gets disabled. If then disable Norton extension, all works fine. See this Google posting:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/drive/5VeZzFhvgIU.

** Do not actually have to clear cookies, as just enabling/disabling extension and restarting Chrome, reveals the problem.

All latest updates installed.

Over to you Norton ...

Kudos1

I have the exact same issue.  Everytime I go to a new page, the page freezes for 20-30 sec.  CPU usage shoots up for a few secs.  I go to a new tab and come back and it starts working earlier.  I disabled norton identity safe and it is working fine now.  I have NIS 2012.  It was happening on IE.  So I installed Chrome and it is happened with Chrome also.

Kudos0

Same Chrome problem here. I finally disabled the Norton extention as the browser was running too slow to use. I also did the re-install of Chrome to no avail. Chrome now loads instantly without the Norton extention.

Kudos0

Can you all try updating to the latest version and see if that fixes the problem? To update to the latest version, please visit the Norton Update Center. Please let me know if you have any questions?

Thanks!

Vineeth

Kudos0

I am having the exact same issues explained above. On a freshly opened instance of Chrome everything works fine, but after using it throughout the day and opening and closing tabs and having multiple tabs opened at the same time, it starts to bog down. Pages take forever to load, some will freeze completely and cause the tab to crash and then re-load, and the CPU usage is much higher than it should be. In many cases when I click on the link a page will partially load but then freeze, and I can't croll the page up or down or type in any of the boxes, but simply clicking on another tab and then going back to the first one fixes the problem.  When these things start happening I have to either close all my tabs one by one and then restart the browser, or just disable the Norton Toolbar extension and then everything is back to normal. 

I have updated both Chrome & Norton to the latest versions but that didn't help at all. In fact, I think it is one of the recent updates which is causing the problem because everything was fine up until a few months ago. 

Kudos1

I'm having this problem too. Google Chrome freezes on every other page. When I disable the Norton extention eveything works fine. 

Kudos1

I updated everything and I'm still having this problem

Kudos0

I'm so glad I finally found something where other people are having the same issue. I've only allowed Norton in Chrome, not firefox or IE yet-- both of those work fine and Google Chrome is freezing for the longest time-- so frustrating!

How did you disable the Norton Extension-- in add ons? If I disable it will I still have protection?

Kudos0

Soozabelle wrote:
If I disable it will I still have protection?

Yes and no. You will still have protection as far as auto-protect, intrusion attacks, SONAR, etc. The basic protection for your computer. What you would lose protection wise, if the Norton extension were to be disabled, would be the anti-phishing technology that protects and warns you against fraudulent websites. That is also very important protection. You need this protection when using Identity Safe and making any kind of online financial transactions.

Ed

Accepted Solution
Kudos6

Try this and see if it fixes the freeze/hang issue, until a more permanent fix comes along:

1) Open Chrome and type "about:plugins" in the address bar.

2) When the plugins page opens, click Details in the upper right side fo the page.

3) Near the top of the page will be 2 files for Adobe Flash Player.

4) Find the file with the location that ends in Pepper Flash or pepflashplayer.dll.

5) Click Disable for this file and restart the Chrome browser.

6) Go to: get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and dowenload the latest version of Flash Player.

7) Once it installs, restart Chrome.

Try a few websites where CHrome woudl freeze and see if the problem is now solved.

Corey
Kudos0

I was having problem with Chrome freezing/no loading for 20 or more seconds per page on my Windows 8 PC with the Norton 360 Premier v 20.2.0.19, and the suggestion from cohbraz worked, thank you!

Kudos1

You are very welcome!

Corey
Kudos0

cohbraz 

11-26-2012 12:53 PM

Try this and see if it fixes the freeze/hang issue, until a more permanent fix comes along:

2) When the plugins page opens, click Details in the upper right side fo the page.

4) Find the file with the location that ends in Pepper Flash or pepflashplayer.dll.

6) Go to: get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and dowenload the latest version of Flash Player.

Try a few websites where CHrome woudl freeze and see if the problem is now solved.

Nice one cohbraz works perfectly now no more freezing :)

Kudos1

toolbar doesn't play nicely with Google Chrome or Firefox

cloud vault is a train wreck

Norton has bit off more than they can chew

Kudos0

I am having the same issue.  Only way to temporarily fix it is to diable/enable the plugin.  I have to do this about once a day.  It is something so minor at first glance but it is very annoying, I'd rather uninstall norton if this is acceptable operation.

Kudos0

you would think someone at Symantec would show some concern if the solution to this problem is to disable their product

It seems Sales are more important than whether the product actually works 

Kudos0

Thx cohbraz tried your fix for chrome and it worked great, good stuff!

Kudos0

I am new to NIS 2013; I was not sure whether the Chrome freezing I experienced was due to NIS (or Chrome or Windows 7 or …??). This topic told me my NIS is involved.

I followed cohbraz's advice [11-26-2012 04:53 AM], my Flash Player was updated from 11,5,502,110 to 11.5.502.135. Now my freezing newspaper site worked as before. Great Corey! You did not instruct us to reactivate the plug-in; I think this was by intention. If I reactivate the plug-in, the freezing reoccurs.

At the Adobe site I found interesting information about the built-in Flash Player: “Chrome users don't have to download new versions of Flash Player. Chrome automatically updates when new versions of Flash Player are available.” Please read http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-google-chrome.html.

“If the built-in Flash Player in Chrome is disabled, Chrome uses the downloaded plug-in version of Flash Player if it is installed on the user’s system. If multiple Flash Player plug-ins are enabled, Chrome uses the integrated Flash Player.”

It seems to be obvious that the integrated plug-in (pepflashplayer.dll) shall remain deactivated and the normal system plug-in (NPSWF32_11_5_502_135.dll) will be used.

BTW, I found another mysterious way to stop the freezing: Right-click on the freezing web site, select 'Inspect element' (or something like that, at the bottom of the menu that appears). Then close the inspect window that is opened (X in upper right corner).

I also observe freezing in Internet Explorer 9; I imagine it helps to add the “difficult URLs” to the Secured Areas in Internet options. I do not know whether this an IE or NIS issue. (I have experienced slow IE9 before.)

Firefox 17.0.1 seems to work well with NIS.

NS 22 / Win7x64Pro SP1 & NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] Win 8.1
Kudos0

I'm having the same problem as well. It's been 4 months since this thread was started and still no word from Norton. My sub expires in 22 days. I have been using NIS for 4 years now. I guess it's time to try something else.

Kudos0

Same here. Exactly! When's the fix coming??

Kudos0

re: When's the fix coming??

probably never

Kudos0

Worked like a charm!!!  Thanks,

Kudos0

Corey, Thank you so much - after weeks of searching for a solution and using online support, I found your post and it did the trick.  I don't know how you came up with that one, but good work!  The google chrome site has lots of questions about it so I will post a link to here from there to help out those folks.

Kudos1

taarnac wrote:

Corey, Thank you so much - after weeks of searching for a solution and using online support, I found your post and it did the trick.  I don't know how you came up with that one, but good work!  The google chrome site has lots of questions about it so I will post a link to here from there to help out those folks.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this information for using the alternative Flash Player in Chrome in place of the integrated (built in) flash player, has been at the Adobe website for some time ... Using the Alternative Flash Player in place of Integrated Flash in Chrome

Scroll down to How can I run the system plug-in, debugger or alternative versions of Flash Player in Google Chrome? The information is listed there.

I did this some months ago, to see if there was an improvement in flash content at YouTube and other websites that play flash video. A major improvement over the built in Pepper Flash in Chrome which isn't that good.

Keep in mind you will have to keep this updated as the built in Pepper Flash is now disabled and will no longer receive the automatic updates it would if enabled.

Keep an eye on this page for the latest version available and the version you are running. Ignore the box, Chrome (Pepper based Flash Player).

My version of Flash Player

Finally this page for Flash Player download when a new version is released. Uncheck the McAfee Security Scan Plus box.

Download for Alternative Flash Player in Chrome

Ed

Kudos0

Apparently this only works sometimes. It didn't work for me. The fact that an Adobe program seems to be the cause of the Norton Identity Safe toolbar issue in browsers is questionable at least. The bottom line is that ever since Identity Safe was moved completely to the cloud it has failed massively in most web browsers. What's even more disturbing is that Symantec / Norton aparenlty refuse to listen to their customers. Either that or they are flat out ignoring them. Most all of those that beta tested the software - myself included - filed multiple bug reports and complaints about the Identity Safe move to the cloud and they were completely ignored. You have to ask yourself why a company asks for feedback when they already had their minds made up on what they were going to do.

Main PC: Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) - AMD FX-4130 3.8 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - NIS 2013 (21.1.0.18) - NU 16 - IE11, Firefox, Safari, Chrome 31
Kudos0

Hi KoloheWiz,

I agree with you that the move to put the vault online only wasn't the greatest idea for Norton 2013 (version 20) products. That and the problematic current version is why I am using NIS 2012. I have very few problems with page load performance and 0 problems with my 2012 toolbar in Chrome.

My post previous to yours is strictly about better flash player content performance using the alternative flash player in place of the integrated built in (Pepper Flash) player.

Also informing users of Chrome that with the built in flash player disabled, they will have to keep the alternative flash player updated themselves.

Ed

Kudos0

KoloheWiz wrote:

Apparently this only works sometimes. It didn't work for me. The fact that an Adobe program seems to be the cause of the Norton Identity Safe toolbar issue in browsers is questionable at least. The bottom line is that ever since Identity Safe was moved completely to the cloud it has failed massively in most web browsers. What's even more disturbing is that Symantec / Norton aparenlty refuse to listen to their customers. Either that or they are flat out ignoring them. Most all of those that beta tested the software - myself included - filed multiple bug reports and complaints about the Identity Safe move to the cloud and they were completely ignored. You have to ask yourself why a company asks for feedback when they already had their minds made up on what they were going to do.

It is not the Adobe version that is causing the problems, it is the built-in Google version "Pepperflash" that Norton does not work well with. By disabling that version and loading the Adobe flash player, the toolbar work as expected.

Ed is correct about the updates: make sure that Adobe is set to automatically update itself, or at the very least make sure that you check for updates regularly.

Corey
Kudos1

For those using the Chrome browser with the built in Pepper Flash disabled, ensure you are updated to the latest Adobe Flash Player release.

You no longer receive automatic flash player updates with Pepper Flash disabled.

Adobe Flash Player for Chrome version 11.5.502.146

If doing this manually, uncheck McAfee Security Scan Plus.

Ed

Kudos0

Thanks for the info, Ed.

My previous IS system had a feature called “vulnerability scan”, I could scan my computer to find whether some of my installed programs needed update. I found this scan very helpful; it is cumbersome to check each application for updates on a regular basis. I think Secunia was the information source for new releases.

I have just learned that Secunia offers a free “Personal Software Inspector (PSI)”, the URL is http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/. I ran this program today, and I was informed that three Adobe programs needed update: Adobe AIR, Adobe Flash Player 11.x (ActiveX) and Adobe Flash Player 11.x (NPAPI). (And, btw, Firefox from 17 to 18; I have learned to wait with the update until NIS Toolbar is patched).

I have experienced that Secunia PSI sometimes seems to freeze; I only close the program and reopen it, than it runs OK. I should like to know, have any of you used Secunia PSI for for an extended period?

Kudos1

John,

I have been using Secunia's PSI 2.0 version for some time now. It works like a total GEM!

If you don't like the 3.0 version (I personally did not because it is a "dummied down version") uninstall it and here is the link for installing version 2.0.  secunia.com/PSI2Setup.exe or if you would prefer the actual spot where it shows in the blog here is the web page.(then scroll down and look for the blue hyperlink just like you see above: http://secunia.com/community/forum/thread/show/12848/psi_3_0_huge_disappointment

It worked for me today just in fact on Adobe Air because it showed it was an "End of Life" program.  Or at least I thought.  When I clicked on the "Approve Update" (the Dashboard is realllly coool... you're gonna like it!) it gave me a 100% score again ... still don't know what the heck it does.. When I have time I'll figure it out.

Anyways.. I am VERY happy with it.  It is wayyyy more cooler than filehippo.com (cuz I used that one before and it stinks) hands down!

Take it easy,

-fryer

[Edit: Removing hyperlink to a executable file to conform with the Participation Guidelines and Terms of Service]

Kudos0

Sorry about that.  I even checked both Secunia links in the "know before you go" section of Norton 360 Premire 2013 and it said that both sites were safe with NO issues.

I am a Newbie I admit... just tryin to help out.  No harm meant.

Sincerely,

fryer

Kudos0

Thanks a lot, fryerlawrence. I shall give v 2 a try.

@Sunil_GA, Your removal of the link (I copied it before the removal) is very confusing to me. I tested the link in Norton Safe Web. The result was all green (SECURE). Can I not rely on Norton Safe Web?

Kudos0

Hi John,

As per the Forum guidelines, direct links to exectables are not allowed. I apologize for the wrong 'edit' note. I understand why that must have caused confusion. Thanks for pointing it out to me.   Cheers, Sunil.
Kudos0

Thanks, Sunil. I noticed you changed the edit note as soon as I had PM'ed you. Now the note is quite understandable! (And Norton File Insight gave the exe 'green light'.

I am new with NIS; reading the user forum gives me more knowledge about the product, both strengths and weaknesses. So far I am very pleased with NIS 2013.

BTW, fryer, have you intentionally closed the personal messages settings in your profile?

Kudos0

Thanks Sunil for the "heads up" on the direct link to .exe files.

I will make note of that. Tanks!

-fryer 

Kudos0

Sorry John... yeah for right now I have that function disabled for now.  Perhaps in the future I wil "un-dsable" it.. but not for right now.

If you want to "chew the fat" on Secunia 2.0 you can get a hold of me at lw.gordon at msn.  I was a little tired last night when I replied so it was short. However, I can tell you that Secunia v2.0 is "Top Notch"  I do not know how long they will support it for... but I am going to hang on and drive it into the ground like an ol' $500 Subaru beater car.  

-fryer

Kudos0

I just installed Google Chrome.  I can't get the 360 toolbar or Identy Safe to install.   I've read too much in the forums and didn't get anything out of it.  I need help.

Kudos0

jolub wrote:

I just installed Google Chrome.  I can't get the 360 toolbar or Identy Safe to install.   I've read too much in the forums and didn't get anything out of it.  I need help.

Hi,

Check if Norton Identity Protection is listed in Extensions.

You should also try clicking Support > Get Support and let Autofix check your installation.

Let us know how you get on.

Dave

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

Hello All,

With the new Norton Internet Security 2013 including the Norton Toolbar all you have to do is go to your control panel and remove Google Chrome.  Then re-install it and your all set!!!

Diesel

Kudos0

@ jolub HERE! HERE!....LOL

@dolamiti/Diesel....Ummmm... well... I would like to believe you...

I "just" installed Chrome just the other day, which I know is the latest version.  I also have ALL of the Norton Updates that I need.  So I know that it is not that.

I installed Chrome and the Norton symbol shows up in the toolbar... however:

1. Everything that I wanted to chose was "grayed out".

2. I also checked every possible and conceivable "setting" that I could have missed and could not see anything on my end.  I was checking and re-checking every nook and corner of "Settings" there could be.

3. Yessss the Norton toolbar was "enabled" in Settings (of which the "wrench icon" topic was something else to follow.  Finally figured out that "Settings" "is" the new "wrench icon"

a. I even disabled it, saved it, re-enabled it, saved it = nogo.

4. Nothing I ever did changed and could not get the log-in information to auto-fill for me.  IE9 moves "effortlessly" in that arena for IE9, except for the fact that whenever you have multiple log-in fields I have learned you have to turn off your "Vault" in order for it to "behave" so that you can fill in da blanks without having Norton to keep filling in information and having it affect what your trying to fill in.

Although Chrome is "supposed to be safer" to surf the web with... I am not liking it the way you have to "jump through hoops" to get the icons that you have to look the way you want them to look.  I have a few hundred "favorites" saved and I don't wanna burn my mouse out havin' to click on each one of them to get them to "icon only" status. IE9 does it with "ONE" click   THAT is a pain in the rear end!

So I dunno....

-fryer

Kudos0

Edjr60 wrote:

For those using the Chrome browser with the built in Pepper Flash disabled, ensure you are updated to the latest Adobe Flash Player release.

You no longer receive automatic flash player updates with Pepper Flash disabled.

Adobe Flash Player for Chrome version 11.5.502.146

If doing this manually, uncheck McAfee Security Scan Plus.

Ed

I have disabled the built-in Pepper Flash, but today File Insight told me that 11.5.31.138 of pepflashplayer.dll was installed (automatically!).

[And NIS File Insight told me the location: c:\Users\<User>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\11.5.31.138\pepflashplayer.dll

I love NIS v20.]

Kudos0

After the File Insight message I checked the extensions: pepflashplayer was still disabled. Later on, after a browser restart, I noticed that Chrome was automatically updated. Now the pepflashplayer was ENABLED! Due to the update with a new Chrome release???

The next day I discovered that my Norton toolbar had disappeared, please read http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Could-not-load-Norton-Identity-Safe-Chrome-Error/m-p/904235#M8426.

I do not know whether this is a Norton issue or a Chrome issue.

Kudos0

cohbraz wrote:

Now, with Chrome v 24.0.1312.57, it is not possible to “permanently” disable pepflashplayer.dll? At each browser restart the plugin is automatically re-enabled.

Fortunately it is still possible to disable Java SE.

Kudos0

Yes, it appears that it's impossible to permanently disable the pepflashplayer - everytime I restart Google Chrome, it is re-enabled. Do we really have to go to chrome://plugins/ every time we start the browser in order to disable it? That's a shame. Chrome seems to run much better with the standard system Flash plug in   Maybe it's time to return to Firefox...

Kudos0

judy67 wrote:

Yes, it appears that it's impossible to permanently disable the pepflashplayer - everytime I restart Google Chrome, it is re-enabled. Do we really have to go to chrome://plugins/ every time we start the browser in order to disable it? That's a shame. Chrome seems to run much better with the standard system Flash plug in   Maybe it's time to return to Firefox...

Yep. Chrome defaults Pepper Flash back to enabled at a restart.

However, Firefox 19 will be out soon, and they made some great changes to it. It is much faster than recent Firefox versions.

Corey
Kudos0

cohbraz wrote:

judy67 wrote:

However, Firefox 19 will be out soon, and they made some great changes to it. It is much faster than recent Firefox versions.

Firefox 19 sounds great. I do hope it's supported by NIS 2012 since I haven't upgraded to NIS 2013 and would prefer to stick with it for a while longer at least...

Kudos1

cohbraz wrote:

Have you noticed? In Chrome v25 it is again possible to disable the pepflashplayer.

Kudos0

To all those currently experiencing freezing / hanging / crashing of the chrome browser, 

The problem is indeed with the norton toolbar, ........  it is not necessary to disable the extension itself,  but only to hide the toolbar by closing it on clicking  " X " at the left corner .

Thus the safe search option will still be displayed in the browser and the extension is still enabled.  The viewed page will then be automatically re-sized, and all browsing and scrolling functions will revert to normal.

hope this helps you all ................ after weeks and weeks of personal misery !!!!!!!!

Replies are locked for this thread.