• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Firefox, Norton Confidential and Phishing protection

I'm running OS X 10.6.8. and have Symantec v 5.1.2 (22) and Firefox 15.0 on my Mac, all the latest up-to-date versions. Everytime I open Firefox, I get the following message - This version of Firefox is not supported by Norton Confidential. You will not be protected while browsing the Web. Norton Confidential cannot protect you while you use this version of Firefox. Phishing Protection requires Firefox 1.5 or later.  There are no issues with Chrome, Safari or Opera!

This has only happened since updating Firefox today. Any ideas to help would be appreciated.  If responses include using Terminal, I've not used it before!

Replies

Kudos1

Re: Firefox, Norton Confidential and Phishing protection

Norton Internet Security 4 does not support any version of Firefox beyond version 4, which was the latest version when Norton Internet Securit 4 was released.

Norton Internet Security 5 supports all current versions of Firefox, however Norton Internet Security 5 is only compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 or later. You are running Mac OS X 10.6.8 so unfortunately you can't use that product at present.

Ryan McGannPrincipal Software EngineerMacintosh Products & SolutionsSymantec
Kudos0

Hello - I am having the same issue after I just renewed (running MAC OS X 10.6.8 and latest version of Firefox (15.0.1).  I was not informed that I would have this issue before renewing my Norton Internet Security.  I also read in the renewal information that there are issues supporting Safari (my other browser).  Hence, what do you suggest to ensure I am able to take advantage of the Anti-phishing services I thought I was purchasing while using one of my two browser options (Safari or Firefox)?

Kudos0

Unfortunately this is a new issue. Mozilla had previously said that Firefox 3 would not be upgraded any further. However, Firefox 3 customers were recently automatically upgraded to Firefox 15. There's not much more we can do about it, since Firefox 15 is vastly different than Firefox 3.

The only recourse is to upgrade your Mac to Mac OS X 10.7 or later so that you can use Norton Internet Security 5. Since you have an active subscription you are entitled to Norton Internet Security 5 for free, but you need to be using Mac OS X 10.7 or later to use it.

Kudos0

hey Ryan. Actually NIS 4 supported every version of Firefox through Firefox 14. Mozilla rep Tyler Downer states that this is an issue with Norton not properly updating their wording on what versions of Firefox are supported. Norton Confidential works fine on Firefox 14.0.1, just not Firefox 15. Snow leopard users that have paid for renewals deserve continued browser support. You guys got this fixed for Windows users. Come on man! This should be a simple fix through LiveUpdate. If i wanted os x lion or cougar, I would have updated to it. That's not an acceptible IT solution. Where's Mike Romo?

Kudos0

Hi 

I have been getting the same problem but I am running OS X 10.8.1 and just updated Firefox to 15.   Seem silly that the upgrade is not supported by Norton's,   

There also seems to be errors with the live update such that NIS for Macintions Submission Control Data

the NAV for Macintosh Virus Defs and the NCO for Macintosh Anti-Phishing Defs all seem to not be working

Kudos0

Yeah, sorry Ryan, but these posts are true.  Firefox 14 worked fine - no problem until Firefox 15.  If Norton Confidential is now a dead letter, instead of sending us this:

"This version of Firefox is not supported by Norton Confidential.  You will not be protected while browsing the Web.  Norton Confidential cannot protect you while you use this version of Firefox.  Phishing Protection requires Firefox 1.5 or later."

Why don't you just tell us to uninstall the software because you aren't going to support it anymore?  I'm not going to upgrade beyond 10.6.8 until I can get around the lack of Rosetta support in the latest versions of Mac OS.

Kudos0

Just so we are clear: Firefox 14, 15 and even 16 beta are supported, if you are running Norton Internet Security 5. @dezelIf you are using Norton Internet Security 5, please let me know. It's supposed to work on Norton Internet Security 5 with Firefox 15. If you are using NIS 4, that is not a supported configuration--NIS 4 is not supported on 10.8.

Norton Internet Security 4 is no longer updated, which is why the message still says Firefox 1.5 "and up". Firefox 4 was the last supported Firefox version we supported in NIS 4, and the code bears that out (the install.rdf file caps our support at Firefox 4.*). However Mozilla may have had a bug that allowed it to work up until Firefox 14.  

For those of you running 10.6.8, we are still investigating our options sine the product is no longer updated. We try to support our older customers when we can, but Norton Internet Security 4 was released 5 years ago, so you can understand the difficulty in maintaining that product.

Kudos0

hey Ryan. Just so I make myself clear. I have 9 months left on my NIS4 renewal. I am one of the nearly 35% market share of all mac users that have chosen to maintain snow leopard as our installed operating system. This is a CRITICAL security issue that needs to be patched ASAP, regardless of Norton's lazy support policy towards "older customers". As an IT security consultant, I cannot recommend Norton products for mac to others moving forward when Norton fails to accomodate present subscribers. As a shareholder, I refuse to endorse a company that blatantly disregards the needs of its paying customers. These knucklehead policies have made your product obsolete to us long time NIS customers. You guys can internally coordinate a patch release through LiveUpdate, or we can get the legal dept. involved starting with complaints filed with the BBB & FTC. Please cut through the red tape & get it done. This should be of highest priority. No disrespect intended. 

Kudos0

Yeah why can't you make a monthly patch like microsoft does or even every three months would be okay, just to fix any problems with previous versions of your software. Microsoft keeps doing updates for years after they realse their operating systems so why cant you do that. XP is still somewhat getting updates on it and that was created almost ten years ago. BBB seems like a nice place to report the issue.

Kudos1

Norton Internet Security 5 is on version 5.3, and has received around 7 updates since it was released about a year ago. The problem is that this issue affects Norton Internet Security 4, which is an older product. It's unfeasible for us to support older products when the newer version already exists, simply due to limited resources.

I understand that some of you are still using this product, and I feel your pain, but at the moment our efforts are focused on Norton Internet Security 5. When looking back, there are many software vendors who are forced to make the same decision...we use Office here at work, and there are lots of bugs in Microsoft Office 2008 I'd like to see Microsoft fix, but Office 2008 hasn't had an update since July 2009 (except for security vulneraiblities).

We are currently evaluating our options for our older customers running Norton Internet Security 4 and I don't have anything I can say at this time, other than we are looking into what options we have. I strongly encourage those of you who are running Norton Internet Security 4 on 10.7 to upgrade to Norton internet Security 5, as that product does not have this issue.

The most secure route for our customers is to upgrade Norton Internet Security, OS X, and Firefox to their latest versions. This ensures that security patches are in place to close any vulnerabilities, and to provide the best performance possible.

NIS 4 customers on OS X10.6.8 will continue to have phishing protection for Firefox 4 and prior versions. SafeWeb for the latest version of Firefox will only be supported through our NIS 5 products.

Your valid Norton Internet Security subscription entitles you to product definitions product updates, but it does not guarantee you that the product will work in perpetuity. If you have a valid subscription you are entitled to Norton Internet Security 5 for free, and support will gladly give you a copy of that product.

Refund requests are handled by Customer Support and should be sent there.

[edit: changed the firefox support information.]

Kudos0

Negligence.

Kudos0

I too am having the same problem. I downloaded the Norton software from Xfinity and do not know what to do now. It seems to work on Safari but not Firefox v15.0.1. What can I do to fix this problem. I am a Mac user running 10.6.8 and not planning on updating to 10.7 or 10.8.

Please help me protect my computer.

Kudos0

The Comcast/Xfinity product does not work with Mac OS X 10.8. Unfortunately Comcast/Xfinity doesn't have a licensing agreement to distribute the Norton products that are compatible with Mac OS X 10.7 or 10.8; the agreement in place only covers the older products. 

Ryan

Kudos0

You should keep in mind that Firefox 3.6 is NOT supported by Mozilla anymore, and is vulnerable to many security holes. Downgrading to that older version is a security risk.

Kudos0

Mozilla's claims regarding Firefox's inbuilt phishing protection may be found at:-

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/phishing-protection/firefox2/

Kudos0

I am running Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)  and I get the same message.  Obviously, 10.7.4 is more recent than 10.6.8.

What's the solution here?

Kudos0

My problems started when I upgraded to Firefox 15, as well.  But I'm running 10.7.4, so it should be covered, but I still get the warning.

Kudos0

greenman

I might be wrong (!), but the answer might be:- Just ignore Norton's message and plough on regardless on the basis that Firefox provides phishing protection !

i.e. The second part of Norton's comment

"This version of Firefox is not supported by Norton Confidential. You will not be protected while browsing the web"

is a tad inaccurate ??

Maybe ??

Kudos0

Ryan,

Can you direct me to where I would upgrade from NIS4 to 5 for free?  I've got an active subscription and I'm running 10.7.4, and like others, since I've installed Firefox 15, I've gotten the error messages and the difficulties dowloading the NAV for Mac Virus Defs, the NCO for MAc Anti-Phishing Defs and the NIS for MAc Submission Control Data.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Kudos0

Yeah well only problem with downgrading for me is i'm a ChaCha guide and we need the current version of firefox and adobe flash at all times so no i can't downgrade.

Kudos0

So I decided to check back on the status of all this after my earlier post, read through the trail, was mostly discouraged for a variety of reasons (side note: rather than call us "older" customers, might I suggest verbiage such as "tenured" or "loyal"...albeit the latter may be short-lived).  A couple notes, 1) I bought my MacBook from the Mac store in Fall 2010 (not FIVE years ago...) and Snow Leopard came on it and 2) everything worked fine this summer UNTIL I renewed my Norton subscription...that's when I started getting errors with Live Update and informed that Firefox would not be phishing-supported.  In other words, at the time of deciding on renewal, customers should be told that if certain attributes they are used to will not be supported.  

I was just about ready to initiate a BBB case of my own, but decided to try the LiveUpdate one last time...an am glad I did as it SEEMS to have gone through ok...that is to say, there were no Errors on the update.  So does this mean either 1) I'm in the clear with a fully working Norton product (including for Firefox phishing protection, whether via Norton or Firefox...) or 2) I'm in the clear with a fully working Norton product but only if I use the Safari browser?

No rush on the response - will check back next week.  Thanks, Dan

Kudos0

Safari hasn't been supported by Norton Internet Security, so you won't get any Safe Web (e.g., anti-phishing, blacklist) protection from malicious web sites if you switch to Safari.  This lack of Safari support has been going on for over 15 months.

I agree with you that it's wrong for Symantec to stop supporting some features for Snow Leopard, yet still sell the older software and subscription renewals for it.

It's ironic that Symantec, an alleged security company, even goes so far to tell Snow Leopard users to install a very old version of Firefox -- Firefox 3 -- just to be "protected" again, simply because the Mac team can't maintain the previous version that they still sell to customers.

If Symantec is going to stop supporting some Snow Leopard functionality (or NIS 4 in general), they should stop selling subscription renewals for NIS 4, instead of leaving loyal customers in the lurch without all the protection/features that the product had originally offered.

Kudos0

So any clue if you will be updating your contract with Comcast for a more recent version of NIS that supports current OS?

Kudos0

I am running OSX 10.7.5 and Norton 5 but still have the same issue.

Kudos0

Ryan,

Your post on Norton interaction with Mac OS 10.8 appears to be inaccurate.  I'm running off my Norton subscription with Comcast - which is Norton IS 4.2.0 (Norton Confidential 1.4.4 (3) Norton Anti Virsus 11.2.2 (3), Live Update 5.2.3) with Mac OS 10.8.2.  This product is the one Norton currently offers through Comcast and displays the same error message for Firefox 16.0.2 under OS 10.8.2 as reported under OS 10.6 and 10.7.  If there is a newer version 5 of Norton, supposedly available for free, that solves this problem then Norton and Comcast should provide the appropriate links to fix the issue.  As it is you are failing to support the most up-to-date version of the preferred browser for many of your customers, and providing inaccurate information on software that will fix the issue (We upgraded to OS 10.8 specifically because of this - I guess I shouldn't have trusted Norton to get the details correct but I did - and Norton did not.)

Sincerely

Steve Brown

Replies are locked for this thread.