• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Want to remove old Norton prior to new install

My Norton Virus protection seems to be damaged.  I had a run in with a bad installer from cnet.  Fun downloads and all sorts of bad stuff.  Anyway, I am running windows 7 on an hp laptop.

My problem is Nortons no longer starts automatically at boot time. It runs fine if I start it manually.  Since I am running the trial version  I thought my best approach would be to uninstall the current version, and then install the copy I purchased.  Ny question is how to do the uninstall?   Is add/remove programs sufficient?  Previously I've used an installer provided by Norton's.  If I need to use special uninstaller where can I get a copy?  Or should I be doing something else entirely?

Thanks!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Want to remove old Norton prior to new install

My Norton Virus protection seems to be damaged.  I had a run in with a bad installer from cnet.  Fun downloads and all sorts of bad stuff.  Anyway, I am running windows 7 on an hp laptop.

My problem is Nortons no longer starts automatically at boot time. It runs fine if I start it manually.  Since I am running the trial version  I thought my best approach would be to uninstall the current version, and then install the copy I purchased.  Ny question is how to do the uninstall?   Is add/remove programs sufficient?  Previously I've used an installer provided by Norton's.  If I need to use special uninstaller where can I get a copy?  Or should I be doing something else entirely?

Thanks!

Kudos1

John,

Which Norton product do you have Norton AntiVirus, Norton Internet Security or Norton 360? If the latter is it Standard or Premier? What Version ID are they? You can find this by clicking on Support / About where the Version is in the format nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

Please let us know before proceeding with what is below.

Norton has a couple of tools you can try:

Here is a link to the new Norton Remove & Reinstall tool that, like the older Norton Removal Tool, removes most Norton Products from your system, but the newer tool uninstalls the Norton products from your computer and reinstalls the latest version of your Norton security product. and it does this by going to your MyNortonAccount so it downloads and installs a preactivated copy so you don't have to bother with the key.

I'm not sure how it will react to finding a trial installation but it's worth trying.

NOTE -- If your purchased copy is 2012 that you want to get back to then don't use the Remove & Reisntall tool since it just may bring down the 2013 version which is very new and better avoided for the time being.

Note that it does not reinstall other Norton products you may have installed -- that you have to do manually and we can point you to the download point for the current versions.

This link Symantec Norton Removal Tool. will direct you to the older Symantec Norton Removal Tool which can be used if the newer Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool does not fix the problem.

Please let us know how you get on or if you have any queries ....

Hugh
Accepted Solution
Kudos1

JohnOzuk wrote:

Thanks!

1. You can use Norton Removal Tool available from the Norton site, this will uninstall and clean up all Norton products.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?version=1&product=home&lg=english&ct=united_states&docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&pvid=f-home

It will delete any other Norton product installed so be warned.

2. If you use NRT then you will loose the functionality of local identity safe but this may not be important to you

3. If you have copy that you purchased, then I presume it has not expired.

4. No need to install from purchased product since your key for hte product purchased will work for the new 2013 product

5. Just download and install from www.norton.com/nis20

Kudos0

Thanks!  Running 19.8.0.14 of Norton Internet Security.  Purchased CD reads Norton antivirus with AntiSpyware.CD has an 07/11 date so assume is 2012.  Can't see anywhere where that is indicated.

Kudos0

JohnOzuk wrote:

Thanks!  Running 19.8.0.14 of Norton Internet Security.  Purchased CD reads Norton antivirus with AntiSpyware.CD has an 07/11 date so assume is 2012.  Can't see anywhere where that is indicated.

Two different products NIS and NAV. If I can help further let me know. Not sure what you want to do now.

Kudos0

Cgoldman,

When I tried the link for 2013 got a web page indicating unexpected error had occurred.  Haven't done anything yet, just looking around.

Kudos0

Sorry, just type what I wrote in browser, rather than clicking on it. Then it works.

Kudos0

Sorry,

Thought I could have two solutions.  Figured working NAV was better than a suspect NIS, so went that route.  On first boot poped a box sayng no connection but works fine now.

Thanks everyone

Replies are locked for this thread.