• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

MoneyPak FBI virus. Green Dot

I managed to pick up a ransomeware virus, (MoneyPak FBI) which locked up my computer whenever I booted up. I was able to get it running by restoring to an earlier time, however I'm sure the virus is still lurking around in there. I could really use some help in getting rid of it. I have windows Vista on a Dell Laptop. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Replies

Kudos0

Re: MoneyPak FBI virus. Green Dot

I managed to pick up a ransomeware virus, (MoneyPak FBI) which locked up my computer whenever I booted up. I was able to get it running by restoring to an earlier time, however I'm sure the virus is still lurking around in there. I could really use some help in getting rid of it. I have windows Vista on a Dell Laptop. Thanks in advance.

Bill

Kudos0

Since asking for help you have changed your system

From,

I hate to beat a dead horse, but I picked up MoneyPak FBI GreenDot virus today and it takes over my computer when I try to sign on. Can't seem to find a way to get rid of it. Any help would be appreciated

To

Bill

Good Luck

Quads

Kudos0

First time on I hadn't been succesful restoring mine to an earlier time and was using my wife's computer to seek advice. I couldn't keep tying up hers and here I am on my own again, hoping to get this solved.

Kudos0

"First time on I hadn't been succesful restoring mine to an earlier time"

For other readers so they know,   I am not touching this system, it has been altered even after failures.

Quads

Kudos0

One of our computers caught this virus. I am running Norton 360 on all my machines, have been for years. The machine is shut down, have not touched it. Looking for help to fix this and get rid of the FBI Moneypak Virus.

Can you help explain the steps or assist via phone or?

I am running Windows 7, on an HP, Norton 360.

Respectfully

Gabe 

Kudos0

Gabe

You need your own thread

Quads

Kudos0

Hi,

Unfortunetly Norton hasn't got a program that will stop the infection from taking place or remove it. I haven't tried "Eraser" because they don't give enough information as to the consequences of using it. I can tell you that Malwarebytes' Antimalware program WILL detect and remove it from your computer. Figures because if you have an antivirus program from Norton they say to deactivate  Malwarebyte if it is already installed on your computer. They claim a conflict can happen. This is also known as the FBI Virus but it is actually a trojan. I will attempt to show a snapshot of the mess that Norton's Internet Security Suite missed and can't handle. It is what was detected and then removed  from my computer on 9/202012 using Malwarebytes program. Good Luck. Well it says my snapshot won't attach because it has a wrong extension, whatever that means. . Here is what Malwarebytes detects:  Trojan.Ransom.FGen it is listed as a file and also a Folder whatever that means. This is really the MoneyPak/ FBI/DNS Changer name as it appears to this program.

Kudos0

Go safemode, download and run Malwarebytes" Antispyware program. I guarentee it will detect and give you the option of removing it. It will be detected as Trojan.Ransom.FGen I just had my ISP people solve this one a few hours ago.. Norton doesn't detect or remove this threat. They do say in at least 6 places on their site that they DO remove it. NOT TRUE. Good Luck.

Kudos0

pord2548 wrote:

Go safemode, download and run Malwarebytes" Antispyware program. I guarentee it will detect and give you the option of removing it. It will be detected as Trojan.Ransom.FGen I just had my ISP people solve this one a few hours ago.. Norton doesn't detect or remove this threat. They do say in at least 6 places on their site that they DO remove it. NOT TRUE. Good Luck.

Norton does remove it, for some of the files, if I get the same file that is detected altered by a few bytes so that the file is no longer detected by norton then it gets passed, but it is still the same FBI Moneypak.

People that don't understand 

Quads

Kudos0

In safemode, download , install and run Malwarebytes' Antimalware program. I Got the @#^%# yesterday and this takes care of it. I already had the program on my computer but when I got Norton's Internet Security Suite they said to disable it because it conflicts with Norton products. It's FREE and detected the MoneyPak/FBI/DNS Changer crap as Trojan.Ransom.FGen on my computer. I promise this will get rid of it.

Dave

Kudos0

pord2548 wrote:

In safemode, download , install and run Malwarebytes' Antimalware program. I Got the @#^%# yesterday and this takes care of it. I already had the program on my computer but when I got Norton's Internet Security Suite they said to disable it because it conflicts with Norton products. It's FREE and detected the MoneyPak/FBI/DNS Changer crap as Trojan.Ransom.FGen on my computer. I promise this will get rid of it.

Dave

I don't need your instructiions,  maybe you need what one user has, which is FBI MoneyPak with Zeroaccess and MaxSS (own partition).

Quads

Kudos0

Ok I will try to figure out how to do that.

Thank you

Kudos0

Gabe 

Go to the Board that is your product and find the "New Message" Button

Quads

Kudos1

Quads, if you're going to constantly be a jerk, and never off any helpful advice to people with real problems, maybe you should find something else to do with your time than get on these forums.

Kudos0

You can disappear, no probs

I have removed 100's of infections here with people that, follow instructions and do as I asked.

"and never off any helpful advice to people with real problems,"

Good False Statement

As for FBI MoneyPak, look no http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic461124.html  NO SAFE MODE

hahahahahaha

I have systems to fix for users that follow instructions than someone just being a annoyance.

Quads

Quads

Kudos0

From another user, there are message similar around

Re: the trojans have attacked! gen, gen.2, zeroaccess, zeroaccess.bOptions 

08-13-2012 02:31 AM

Thank you so much quads! I've learned my lesson about shady websites, no more random clicking . I'm so grateful for your help and hope that the people you volunteer to help become better at reading carefully and understanding your directions and warnings. It's amazing to me, how many people all of a sudden think they know better (while waiting for your replies, I read through a ton of other threads you were working on to get an idea of what the process would be like). Yet, you continue attempting to help others, not knowing if they're going to be smart a**es or not. That is extremely admirable to me, knowing that I wouldn't have the will to keep volunteering if I came across so many people like them. You've not only saved my computer but the money I would have had to spend on geek squad or something instead of textbooks for my last year of college.

Anyway, Thank you again for volunteering your time!!

Kudos0

Hi,

Yes for sure it is a virus/rogue which sometimes wont even let you to log into Normal mode. But its easier to remove when you are in safe mode with removal tools.

Try this automatic removal tool:

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/ (download it in safe mode or install from USB drive)

Or use manual removal instructions :

Kudos0

Sorry I forgot to mention, that first of all try to do a system restore.

To start system restore from the safe mode command prompt proceed as follows:

1. Boot your Computer, during the startup  sequence constantly tap the F8 key on your keyboard

2. From menu select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt

3. If asked - log on as Administrator. If you have not set an administrator password then simply press Enter

4. The Command Prompt should now appear

5. Now type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe  or C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe and then press Enter

Replies are locked for this thread.