• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NPE.EXE won't run.

On booting up, Nort popped an error up. I do not have the code any longer.

The error referred to Nort being unable to start because of a possible infection.

I followed it's trail of links, and downloaded  NPE.exe.

When done dl'ing, I ran npe.exe. Agreed to the agreement, and a window popped up saying I needed a newer version of NPE.exe.

I manually found a newer version, and ran that. Within 10 seconds, it popped a window saying it would have to reboot before it could do a rootkit scan.

I rebooted.

The only popup was the original 'do you want to run this file' prompt. I clicked Run, and nothing happened.

The 'run' window just sat there, doing nothing.

There was no scan, no other prompts. I left it for 5 minutes then closed the 'run' window.

I take it the npe.exe did nothing. If it did, it was done in a micro second. I have 5.5 Terabytes on several drives.

Did it do something?

I tried npe.exe again - nothing happens - nothing.

Rebooted, tried again - nothing.

re-downloaded, tried again - nothing.

i

oh yes, using Norton 360 Vista Home Premium with all updates, upgrades, patches, fixes, and Spack 2.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------~~ Will split atoms in exchange for ride back to home planet~~

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NPE.EXE won't run.

You should wait for Quads to see this thread.

Not sure if he will be able to help, as you have tried to run NPE. NPE has been known to cause more trouble than it fixes.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

No,

Do what you like or others say.

Good Luck

Quads

Kudos0

iNiC

What operating system and service pack are you using?

What version of 360 are you using? Support - About. Is it standard or premier?

Do you now or have you ever had another security program on your computer? If so, you will have to remove it with the removal tool for that program.

See if you can boot into Safe Mode and run a full system scan with 360.

Kudos0

Hello peterweb. Thanks very much for your interest and assistance.

To answer:

• My system is:

OS Name    Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version    6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description     Not Available
    OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
    System Name    XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    System Manufacturer    HP-Pavilion
    System Model    RK574AA-ABA a1730n
    System Type    X86-based PC
    Processor    AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, 2400 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date    Phoenix Technologies, LTD 5.07, 3/19/2007
    SMBIOS Version    2.4
    Windows Directory    C:\Windows
    System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume7
    Locale    Bouvet Island
    Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Time Zone    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory    3.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory    477 MB
    Total Virtual Memory    6.21 GB
    Available Virtual Memory    2.81 GB
    Page File Space    3.29 GB
    Page File    C:\pagefile.sys
  • 360 ver 20.1.1.2  doesn't say anything about premium or standard.  Was supposed to be the top of the line.
  • Yes. Had Norton NIS2013. Then using full Business version of AVG. I used their removal tool. Rebooted, installed 360 and got the error and link to run NPE. Then, NPE self-check indicated NPE was outdated! But it had a link to another NPE.exe. Ran that, and nothing happened. It blanked the screen for about 1 - 2 seconds and then nothing. No mem or drive activity other than the norm.
  • Been there, done that with the safe mode.

I have way too much TBytes to let 360 scan the whole thing. I unplugged all but the main boot drive, and ran it. The only thing that happened is I aged about 6 hours waiting :)  I've added more TBytes and now total about 12TBs and is about 85% used. So, you can see it would take a few days to get through it all.

My concern is, is 360 unable to do the rootkit thing, or is something blocking 360?

Thanks again

i

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------~~ Will split atoms in exchange for ride back to home planet~~
Kudos0

In view of Quads' comment - I would suggest you go to a Malware Removal Forum for assistance.  Quads is our expert , has passed on your situation and I feel you will get your best assistance through the following information that our old friend Delphinium supplied.

"If you decide to try another forum, here are some places where a real malware expert can work with you one-on-one in real time to dig these things out. Some of our best folks here have checked them out to make sure that they are capable, and competent to deal with rootkits and other nasties. Most of them handle tricky Windows problems as well."

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/
http://forums.whatthetech.com/
http://support.emsisoft.com/forum/6-help-my-pc-is-infected/

Kudos0

You could also try to run the NPE from the safe mode.

Kudos0

RMuruge wrote:

You could also try to run the NPE from the safe mode.

With all due respect.

It would be best to use the resources provided by Yank without trying anything else yourself.

They use the same rules in that you should not do anything yourself. Just follow their directions.

Kudos0

Quads reply, if supposed to be helpful, is exactly what I've been doing - asking for assistance.

I've no idea what Quad's "No" refers to. Actually, none of it makes any sense. But forums have taught me that there are a few in every crowd.

UPDATE:

I UNinstalled N360 for the 5th time. Then ran sfc - no problems.

Closed and stopped everything from loading (msconfig), installed a fresh download downloader so I could download the program I need to install (makes no sense to have a downloader to download).

Reinstalled N360 and rebooted and it loaded. I checked about every hour and it stayed.

I Shutdown the comp, and it hung @ shutdown. I removed Norton again. (should make a bat file to do that).

I shutdown - again - but now, without N360, when  I Shutdown - it shuts down after about a 12 second delay.

I reinstalled N360, and did the reboot, but it hung on shutting down. And Norton would not show up - still.

I uninstalled it again. Manually shut down, rebooted, clicked Shutdown, and it shutdown.

CONCLUSION: Norton will not allow the comp to shut down on it's own. It takes a manual shutdown.

ANSWER to PROBLEM:

I put in too many hours with this problem so I installed AVG - no problems!

I wonder if I am allowed to sell my N360 that has about 325 days remaining - plus the other 23 licenses I can't depend on.

I will ask in a new thread.

i

Kudos1

Sorry for the trouble.

Try to create Norton Bootable Recovery tool in any other computer. Boot your computer using it & run a scan.

There are some cases where AVG drivers are still loaded even though you run the removal tool, and create conflict with Norton. For that, you may need to manually dig through the registry and remove the remnants of AVG before you install Norton 360.

You may also try the solution mentioned here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?ct=us&docid=kb20100421132825EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

Thanks,

HarryP

Kudos0

iNiC wrote:

UPDATE:

I UNinstalled N360 for the 5th time. Then ran sfc - no problems.

I uninstalled it again. Manually shut down, rebooted, clicked Shutdown, and it shutdown.

CONCLUSION: Norton will not allow the comp to shut down on it's own. It takes a manual shutdown.

I've gone over this thread again, and have a couple of ideas/suggestions.

You mentioned you had NIS on the computer before installing 360. When you are uninstalling 360, have you run the Norton Removal Tool from  www.norton.com/nrt  Because you changed products, there could be some remnants of NIS that do not work well with 360.

The computer not shutting down could be a recently identified issue with Nero Burning software and the BlueRay components. This can apparently be fixed by reverting to an earlier version of Nero. I have seen one user note that just reinstalling Nero worked, but just do not allow it to update itself for now. Norton is working on this issue.

Kudos0

when Quads says no   thats means he wont be helping you  with your PROBLEM

has you

A you have done your own thing with out waiting for Quads help

or B you have ues tools on your own  with out waiting for  Quads help

or he  could have other reson  on why he wont help you  

wounder if am forgeting any thing

Kudos0

DavidThomas88 wrote:

when Quads says no   thats means he wont be helping you  with your PROBLEM

has you

A you have done your own thing with out waiting for Quads help

or B you have ues tools on your own  with out waiting for  Quads help

or he  could have other reson  on why he wont help you  

wounder if am forgeting any thing

Waiting for Quad should be a note in bright red in large letters so we don't p**s Quad off by not waiting. Quad should know that Norton tech support suggested I try the stuff.  They didn't tell me to post my query here and then to wait until Quad replies, or not. And if not, then there should be a system  letting us know Quad will be ignoring us.Quad should get over being skipped over. Any way, never heard of "Quad", didn't when Norton messes up to go right to forums and wait to see, if at all, Quad is even willing to grace our posts with more than 'no'.

Doesn't matter. I got security working by uninstalling, and removing Norton, and installing AVG free edition. At least I know it's running. Now, all I need is to get some kind of decent refund or get Norton to sell the -stuff- I bought. I shouldn't have to.

Kudos0

" Quad should know that Norton tech support suggested I try the stuff. "

Exactly, so NO,  Symantec Techs have this not me,  the same principle as other Malware Removalists.

Ever had 2 Techs working on the same problem without knowing, then wonder what has gone wrong.

"Quad should get over being skipped over"   I don't care who grabs the thread, but it is their thread not mine, or in this case another Tech

If a system has not been played with and I have the thread I post more than "No" and read logs, script,  etc. That is more than No,

Good Luck

Quads

Replies are locked for this thread.