The Identity Safe Portal is here!
If you’ve been keeping up with Norton products, you probably already know that Norton Internet Security (NIS) 2012 included new capabilities that gave you the option to store your Identity Safe Vault (passwords, credit card numbers, and other data) in the Norton cloud and share it between all your computers with Norton Internet Security 2012. Up until now, however, your Vault could only be accessed from a computer with Norton Internet Security 2012 installed.
Today we’re launching identitysafe.norton.com, a web portal which allows you to access your Identity Safe Vault from any web browser—useful, for example, when you’re at work, a café, or a friend’s house and can’t remember a password. With the portal, you can view your logins, cards, and notes in the browser just like you could from within Norton Internet Security. In this post, I’ll walk you through how to get started with using the Identity Safe web portal.
Creating an Online Vault
If you already have an online Vault, you’re all set to get started! Go ahead and skip down to the “Getting Started” section. Don’t worry if you don’t have an online Vault yet—we’ll walk through the whole setup process.
The Identity Safe web portal is read-only, which means you can view your Vault but not create or modify it via the website. You’ll need a copy of Norton Internet Security 2012 to create your online vault. If you have an older version of NIS and a valid subscription, you can upgrade to NIS 2012 for free by navigating to Support | Check for New Version in the product’s main window. Otherwise, you can get a free trial copy at: http://us.norton.com/downloads/trialsoftware.
To create an online vault in Norton Internet Security 2012:
- In the Norton Internet Security main window, click Settings:
- In the Settings window, click the Web tab:
- In the left pane, click Identity Safe:
- Under Identity Safe, in the Identity Safe Setup row, click Configure:
- At the bottom of the Set Up Identity Safe window, click the “Login to Norton Account” link:
- If you don’t have a Norton Account, click “Create New Account” and follow the instructions. Otherwise, login to your account.
- We now need to set a Vault password, which is different from your Norton Account password. The Vault password will secure your Vault so that no one other than you can access your data. If you forget this password, not even we can unlock your Vault for you! In the Create Password box, type in your desired Vault password. The password strength must be “Strong”. Click the “How to create a strong password?” link to learn more about creating strong passwords.
- In the Confirm Password box, type your vault password again.
- In the Password Hint box, type in a hint for the password. Make sure that the hint doesn’t reveal anything about your password to anyone but you.
- Check Store information online through your Norton Account (this option appears only if you have logged in to your Norton Account). This is important! If you don’t check this, your data will not be synced to the Norton cloud and will not be accessible via the portal.
- Click Create:
- In the Identity Safe Setup Successful window, click Done:
- You can now use the “Edit Cards”, “Edit Logins”, and “Edit Notes” links to add your data to your Vault. Norton Internet Security will automatically sync your data to the Norton cloud!
Now that you have an online Vault set up, open your browser and point it to https://identitysafe.norton.com.
- Click the “Sign In” button:
- You’ll be prompted for your Norton Account credentials. Go ahead and login
- If you logged into Norton Account successfully, you’ll now be asked for your Vault password. Enter it and click the Login button
- Welcome to the Identity Safe web portal!
You should now see your vault home page. Here you’ll find a list of all your vault items:
Navigating Your Vault
- You can switch between Logins, Cards, and Notes by clicking on the corresponding bars.
- There are also shortcuts on the left side of the page for quickly switching between the three types of items.
- For those of you with a large number of Vault items, we tried to make it easier for you to find what you’re looking for. In the upper left corner of the page, there are controls for:
- Switching between thumbnail and list views
- Filtering Logins by folder or website category
- Searching for items by name or title
Viewing Your Data
- Clicking on an item will pop up a dialog with the item’s info.
- To protect your private information from prying eyes, we hide your passwords and credit card numbers when your item dialogs are opened. Clicking on the “Show Password” or “Show Details” links will reveal your password or credit card numbers images.
If you’d like to copy your password or card number to clipboard, click on the clipboard icon next to the image, and then click the copy to clipboard link in the popup. Just remember to clear your clipboard when you’re done. For your convenience we also provide a link for clearing the clipboard.
That should be enough to get you started. If you have any questions or feedback, the Norton Users Forum is the place to voice them. We look forward to hearing from you!