• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

missing NIS icon in system icon tray

NIS 2012 v 19.90.9
Vista Home Premium SP2

I run on a limited user account.
My PC in cable internet and internet cnnected 24/7
Last night Rebooted my PC. Normally when I log into my account, within 10seconds or so after login, the NIS icon with the green check mark will show in my system tray. Then usually another 5-10 seconds later the little windows icon that shows Windows internet connection (globe with computer? on it) will appear.

Well last night after logging into my limited user account, the NIS icon did not appear in the system tray, after about 15 seconds or so the Windows internet connection icon appeared and showed internet connection.
I was concerned since I did not see the NIS icon, after after trying to show hidden icons in the system tray.
I tried to open the NIS GUI from the dedktop shortcut, but it would not open. Fearing that I did not have NIS active, I went and rebooted my PC.
The same set of circumstances happened again. So I just shut my PC down.
Now I must admit that I did not leave the PC on more than 90 seconds on each of these attempts for fear that NIS was MAYBE not running.
Stupidly, I should have checked task manager to see if NIS was running, but did not. If I hhad I could have seen if NIS was on
So not sure if NIS was on/running or not despite the absence of the NIS icon in the system tray.
I waited a little bit (10 mins) and again started up my PC. this time the NIS icon appeared within 10-15 of logging in.
I was also able to open the NIS GUI from desktop short cut

However, my concern is:
1. why the NIS icon did not appear in system tray ?
2. Why the NIS GUI would not open?
3. Most importantly was my NIS on and running even though there was no icon in the system tray?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: missing NIS icon in system icon tray

NIS 2012 v 19.90.9
Vista Home Premium SP2

I run on a limited user account.
My PC in cable internet and internet cnnected 24/7
Last night Rebooted my PC. Normally when I log into my account, within 10seconds or so after login, the NIS icon with the green check mark will show in my system tray. Then usually another 5-10 seconds later the little windows icon that shows Windows internet connection (globe with computer? on it) will appear.

Well last night after logging into my limited user account, the NIS icon did not appear in the system tray, after about 15 seconds or so the Windows internet connection icon appeared and showed internet connection.
I was concerned since I did not see the NIS icon, after after trying to show hidden icons in the system tray.
I tried to open the NIS GUI from the dedktop shortcut, but it would not open. Fearing that I did not have NIS active, I went and rebooted my PC.
Now I must admit that I did not leave the PC on more than 90 seconds on each of these attempts for fear that NIS was MAYBE not running.
Stupidly, I should have checked task manager to see if NIS was running, but did not. If I hhad I could have seen if NIS was on
So not sure if NIS was on/running or not despite the absence of the NIS icon in the system tray.
I waited a little bit (10 mins) and again started up my PC. this time the NIS icon appeared within 10-15 of logging in.
I was also able to open the NIS GUI from desktop short cut

However, my concern is:
3. Most importantly was my NIS on and running even though there was no icon in the system tray?
Kudos0

Did you just receive the 19.9. update with these reboots?

It is possible that some of the update process was running at the startup.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

thanks peterweb

but no I had the upday at least a day or two before this, and had rebboted before
Kudos1

3. Hard to say, since you didn't check the Task Manager. In the Event Viewer, under the Windows Logs -> System tab, you should have entries at the corresponding times, and you could check for entries like "The NIS service was succesfully started" or "The NIS Service failed to start" or things like that, which would give you an indication.

Even if it did not start for some reason, that in itself would not be a security issue since you are behind a router which acts as a firewall, and malware doesn't appear out of nowhere just because you don't have an antivirus running. Of course, it is an issue if your security program doesn't start for some reason, but the point I am trying to make is that you wouldn't have been at risk of getting infected by that fact.

Kudos0

There are threads here that note the 2013 versions have an issue with the system tray icon taking up to 2 minutes to appear. The system is protected, it is just the icon and access to the interface that is delayed.

Kudos0

Hello Peterweb,

I also have three family computers that take 1 minute for the icon to display in the system tray. During the one minute there are two processes running, ccsvchst.exe that are Symantec. I belive that we are protected during this delay of the icon but do you know for sure that we are protected at that time?  

My systems are Windows 7 sp1 64 bit. I run NIS 20.1.1.2                Thanks in advance for your replay.

Kudos1

peterweb wrote:

There are threads here that note the 2013 versions have an issue with the system tray icon taking up to 2 minutes to appear. The system is protected, it is just the icon and access to the interface that is delayed.

Calls is using the 2012 version which does not have this issue.

Kudos0

Lakes34 wrote:

Hello Peterweb,

I also have three family computers that take 1 minute for the icon to display in the system tray. During the one minute there are two processes running, ccsvchst.exe that are Symantec. I belive that we are protected during this delay of the icon but do you know for sure that we are protected at that time?  

My systems are Windows 7 sp1 64 bit. I run NIS 20.1.1.2                Thanks in advance for your replay.

You are protected.  See this post from Pieter

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Antivirus-2013-Icon-in-a-system-tray/m-p/811150/highlight/true#M217998

Kudos0

Bombastus wrote:

peterweb wrote:

Calls is using the 2012 version which does not have this issue.

Thanks Bombastus

I missed that.  I wonder if there was a change in 19.9 that brought some 2013 issues with it? 

No one else seems to have reported this yet.

Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

Lakes34 wrote:

Hello Peterweb,

You are protected.  See this post from Pieter

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Antivirus-2013-Icon-in-a-system-tray/m-p/811150/highlight/true#M217998

However, there is the EICAR issue...

Carmik has made postings to that regard - For example...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Antivirus-2013-Icon-in-a-system-tray/m-p/817578#M219214

Does seem to dispute Pieter's statement...

For those unfamiliar with the EICAR test file...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EICAR_test_file

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

I assume you have gone through all the given answers here. If you haven't, then do so. Otherwise, right-click any were on the taskbar> select Properties> Notification area tab. check the Network checkbox and apply changes. that's it and your problem will be fixed. what caused to the NIC icon to go missing can be anything which you probably haven't described here. You haven't mentioned about any unsual thing that happened to your computer during these two-three days. So I can think of all the possible reasons here: a virus infection, update, add-on, firewall etc. So I would say please try to remember what did you do which caused the icon to appear and then think of a possible action.

Kudos0

Calls wrote:
NIS 2012 v 19.90.9
Vista Home Premium SP2
[...]
Last night Rebooted my PC...
[...]
[...]
However, my concern is:

Did you reboot the computer because you were applying the October Windows Updates? If so, then that may explain the delay in the slow loading of NIS that you've experienced (note: pulling the plug after a 90 second delay under these circumstances is a little over zealous and effectively answers questions 1 and 2 above).

To confirm, open Norton System Insight, select '1W' (one week), go back a couple of days and check to see if 'trustedinstaller.exe' was running at the same time that you experienced the slow loading of NIS 2012, as per the screenshot below:

Even though you couldn't immediately open NIS during your short 90 second window of opportunity, you can clearly see from the screenshot above that the Norton's 'ccsvchst.exe' process was active during this period, thus addressing your question 3 above.

Kudos0

Thank you all for the feedback.

1. My inital reboot from where I had the missing Norton Icon in system tray, the reboot was not as a result of the reboot required for windows updates. I had rebooted for those about two hours earlier.
2. while I'm not sure what caused the icon to not appear in the normal time frame of 10 or so seconds, I'm pretty sure it is not malware related. Full system Norton scan a few hours later, did not indicate any problems found.
And when I rebooted the third time, the icon appeared within the usual 10 or so seconds after login

3. I did check the even log of windows and it does show that NIS was started during the initial reboot for the 2 times the icon did not appear in the normal 10 or so seconds
Kudos0

have not really had this issue any more so guess chalk it up to delay in the icon and my impatience.

Replies are locked for this thread.