• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Windows 8 says Norton protection turned off

Hey all.  Just posted this on the Comcast forums and thought I'd post over here as well.  Hopefully you can help me.  I installed Windows 8 shortly after it was released last night and am having a problem with my Norton Security Suite provided by Comcast.  NSS shows that it is running in the system tray and has the green check mark to signify it is protecting me, yet the Windows Action Center says that Antivirus and Spyware protection is turned off and the firewall is turned off.  I thought this might be because I didn't do a clean install of Windows 8, but I even uninstalled the Norton Suite, ran the Norton removal tool and reinstalled and it is doing the same thing.  I have ran LiveUpdate and am up to date.  When I open task manager the processes (ccsvhst) are running just fine yet it still shows in Action Center that my protection is turned off.  Should I use something else for the time being or is it actually protecting me and this is a bug in Windows 8?  Thanks for any and all help.

Support>About shows I have version 20.1.0.24 if that is any help

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows 8 says Norton protection turned off

I'd like to point out that the OP is using the Comcast version and it has been compatible with Win 8 since  NSS version 6.4. 

Comcast has not received the 2.2 version as of yet, so that would be a non player in this case.  Once Comcast is updated to catch up to N 360, I would guess to be the time Norton may get invloled with working with it.

Kudos0

Hey all.  Just posted this on the Comcast forums and thought I'd post over here as well.  Hopefully you can help me.  I installed Windows 8 shortly after it was released last night and am having a problem with my Norton Security Suite provided by Comcast.  NSS shows that it is running in the system tray and has the green check mark to signify it is protecting me, yet the Windows Action Center says that Antivirus and Spyware protection is turned off and the firewall is turned off.  I thought this might be because I didn't do a clean install of Windows 8, but I even uninstalled the Norton Suite, ran the Norton removal tool and reinstalled and it is doing the same thing.  I have ran LiveUpdate and am up to date.  When I open task manager the processes (ccsvhst) are running just fine yet it still shows in Action Center that my protection is turned off.  Should I use something else for the time being or is it actually protecting me and this is a bug in Windows 8?  Thanks for any and all help.

Support>About shows I have version 20.1.0.24 if that is any help

Kudos0

Hi all,

I have the same problem. In installed an Windows 8 upgrade. I upgraded from Windows 7. Now Action Center is displaying that Norton Internet Securty and Wndows Defender are both turned off which is simply not true. Norton is running and has a green Status.

Kudos0

This is not only happening with Norton but with Emsisoft Anti-Malware too (my cousin has it installed).

Maybe in the next Windows update (or Norton's) things will be fixed.

Kudos0

Same here win 8 says norton protection turned off.

Kudos0

Well it is somewhat of a relief (I guess lol) knowing that I am not the only one with this problem!  Like you said, hopefully this gets fixed sometime soon.  Thanks!

Kudos0

On my Win8 machine with Internet Security, Action Center Shows it turned off,but it's not. On myWin8  machines with Norton 360, everythin shows as OK. Interesting.

Kudos0

Thanks all for this important info.  Rest assured, if your Norton product is reporting itself on and active, it's working.

It would be a big help to us if each of you experiencing this issue would try the following:

- Verify Norton is on (in the Norton UI)

- Verify that Norton is off in the Action Center (or Security Center), or that Norton is not present in the Action/Security center

- Open the Norton UI

- Disable your Norton protection (select 15 minutes in the dialog)

- Wait 1 minute

- Re-enable your Norton protection

- Does Action/Security Center properly report the Norton status?

thanks!

Kudos0

I tried the procedure requested by TomM.  After disabling and re-enabling Norton 360, Windows 8 Action Center still showed Norton 360 firewall and anti-virus turned off.  However, after rebooting Windows 8 the action center shows that Norton 360 firewall, virus protection and malware protection are turned on.

Kudos0

Ericlf wrote:

I tried the procedure requested by TomM.  After disabling and re-enabling Norton 360, Windows 8 Action Center still showed Norton 360 firewall and anti-virus turned off.  However, after rebooting Windows 8 the action center shows that Norton 360 firewall, virus protection and malware protection are turned on.

Welcome,

And welcome for the news. It continues to amaze me all of the problems that can be solved by rebooting. I try to do a cold boot [shutting down the power] at least weekly. I do enough warm booting moving between test drives to satisfy most of the update requirements for a reboot.

Keep us posted and as always

Stay well and surf safe

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Dick,

Nothing like shutting down at the end of the day and booting up next morning -- must be why I have so few (computer) problems <g>

Hugh
Kudos1

A similar issue was reported with Win 7 long back here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Windows-7-Action-Center/m-p/174416/highlight/true#M23400

It's worth to try the same suggestion here & let me know the results.

Thanks,

HarryP

Kudos0

Hugh
Kudos3

All, thanks for the tests and feedback.  We are working with Microsoft on this issue, but rest-assured, if NIS is in a green state, you're protected.  The issue has to do with the Secrutiy/Action Center reporting and some intermittent issues with that process.  We will continue to work on this, and hopefully have a fix in an upcoming patch (no timeframe yet).  And please remember to reboot your machines once-in-a-while :)

Kudos0

I have the same issue, it satrted this morning, i swictched off the protection for 15 mins, re booted, still have the same problem. I look forward to the patch be sent.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Try for full scan with your norton 360.

Kudos0

Hello GT37,

We need to get some information from you.

I've sent you a Private Message ( icon on the top right portion of the forums). Please check this when you get a chance.

Kudos0

I have Windows 8 Pro and Norton Internet Security 20.2.0.19

Norton icon is green... mas a red cross in the flag of Action Center

This is frustrating!

Help me!

I try this... but not worked!

1. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

2. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 /u WMIUTILS.DLL

3. Click OK.

4. Restart the computer.

5. Click the Start button, and then click All Programs > Accessories > Run.

6. In the Run dialog box, type the following text:

regsvr32 WMIUTILS.DLL

7. Click OK.

8. Restart the computer.

File Attachment: 
Kudos2

All, we are continuing to work on this in conjunction with Microsoft to better understand why status updates are not properly reflecting in Action/Security Center.  But please do note that as long as your NIS status is green, you are being protected.

Kudos0

Just to add to the symptoms, I have NIS not 360.  Version 20.2.0.19.  All is up to date, using Windows 8.  This all came loaded by HP and this is a new PC, only 1 week old.  Intel I7 processor, 12gm ram etc....

Computer starts up fine, but after time, I notice Windows Action Center's red flag and eventually Virus Protection, Firewall, and Spam all pop up saying that they are all turned off.  Norton of course still shows green and all OK.  Not sure when this happens,  and it could be after waking up from sleep mode.  Windows reboot and everything seems fine for awhile, but happens again after being on for awhile.

Kudos0

I had the problem go away last week after a Windows update, but tonight my IE10 froze solid, not responding. Now the issue has come back, mu  Norton 360 is all green, thankfully.

Kudos1

Hi

Please try the below steps.

1.Move your mouse to the top right corner to bring up the charm menu, now select search.

2.Type cmd.

3.Right click Run as Administrator, if you get a prompt select yes.

4.In the command prompt, type net stop winmgmt then hit enter->type Y for the asked question and keep the window open.

5.Move your mouse to the top right corner to bring up the charm menu, now select search and then type run.

6.Select run and type wbem in the search box and hit OK.

7.You can see a folder with the name Repository, right click and rename it to Repository.OLD.

8.Close that window and type net start winmgmt in the command prompt and hit enter.

9.Restart the computer once and check the Action center status.

-Shri
Kudos0

OK, since my previous post, I ran a Norton Update, and noticed that it loaded not only new definitions but asked me if I wanted to allow for a system update enhancement.   Once I did this, I no longer am getting the Windows Action Center notification.  Norton and Windows seem to be all good.

However, now when I click on History or Quarantine, nothing happens. Norton will not open these windows.  So I uninstalled and reinstalled NIS.  Worked fine all day.  Later I went to look at History and it worked.  Then went back to open History and Quarantine and Norton Froze up, someithing about a Symantec Framework stopped working.  Could not get the windows closed.  Windows Task manager could not close the norton program.  I had to reboot.  Now the History and Quarantine button don't work again.  Seems to me that these are connected if an update was pushed.

Kudos0

FYI, that enhancement was called a patch.....

Also, I noticed that after running an update, the window still shows no update have been performed in the last 7 hours, so it is not recognizing the updates.

Kudos0

Shri's solution above seems to have done the trick for me.

Kudos0

Didn't work for me :(, still same issue.

Kudos0

Ditto on problem..I am experiencing same issue. Tried reinstall, same result. Also experiencing Java problems with Windows 8. Not happy.

Kudos0

I now have got the same issue come back, my Laptop froze, i couldn't use it, had to power off, reboot, and then the dreaded red x appereared witht the same fault in the Action Centre. Over the last 2 weeks i have had nothing but problems with Norton causing my PC to crash. It stopped the Adobe XI installation causing me another headache, the anti virus then switched off and the only way i could rectify the problem was to uninstall Norton and the re install. Currently i am looking on the PC World website for a different Anti Virus as i am not happy with the reliability of Norton. There is no Virus on my Laptop, i have checked this whilst i had Norton Un Installed.

Update

I have run the instructions as mentioned above once more, and it hasn't cured the problem at all. So now it me makes want to purchase another anti virus software. I think I've wasted my money on Norton unfortuantly. How can i rely on a product that doesn't work properly.

Kudos0

GT37,

I'm not aware of anything in Norton applications that cause laptops to freeze -- that's much more frequently due to outofdate drivers or the specialized applications that so many laptop makers use.

Is this a laptop purchased with Windows 8 preinstalled or did you install WIndows 8? If so was it a clean install or an on-top upgrade?

On the Windows Action Center saying that there is no security application installed when there is, this is a Microsoft Windows situation that Norton are discussing directly with the Windows programmers since Norton is there and it is working normally to protect you regardless of what the Windows Action Center says.

Hugh
Kudos0

After disappearing (through two reboots), the problem has reoccurred for me.  I suppose it's reassuring to know it's merely a false alarm, but obviously it should not occur in the first place.  I wonder how long Microsoft and Symantec will kick the can back and forth before there is a solution.

Kudos0

Kudos0

Above pic is showing all **bleep** disabled and i can not enable it any more need help i dont like this !!!!

Kudos0

Hi there,

Thanks for trying to help us out with this frustrating windows 8 / Norton status messaging error.

Did as described in your post but the wmi could not be turned off.....and the repository not renamed due to this I guess... :-(

Got a prompt saying that another application was using this.

The strange thing is that when starting wmi, although it was reported not able to stop, the error message disappeared...  :-)

PS.

I got one other message on the way...I was asked to stop the Home server connector....which I did!  The Home server has also been reporting the firewall and the spyware off....

Now I am rebooting and praying.

NO, that did not work out..... The same problem is back again! Windows 8 is reporting the firewall and the spyware turned off, and the same do my Home server...Still Norton is reporting it on. **bleep**!

Anybody having any other ideas?

I will try the steps below once more in safe mode... still praying..

:-) Tore

ramshrii wrote:

Hi

Please try the below steps.

1.Move your mouse to the top right corner to bring up the charm menu, now select search.

2.Type cmd.

3.Right click Run as Administrator, if you get a prompt select yes.

4.In the command prompt, type net stop winmgmt then hit enter->type Y for the asked question and keep the window open.

5.Move your mouse to the top right corner to bring up the charm menu, now select search and then type run.

6.Select run and type wbem in the search box and hit OK.

7.You can see a folder with the name Repository, right click and rename it to Repository.OLD.

8.Close that window and type net start winmgmt in the command prompt and hit enter.

9.Restart the computer once and check the Action center status.

Kudos0

Tore,

I understand how irritating it is when a computer gives you an incorrect error message but it is an incorrect message rather than reflecting a real and dangerous situation.

Have you seen, earlier in this thread, this message from a Norton Staffer (names in red) stressing firstly that Microsoft and Norton are investigating the cause and secondly that if your system tray or other Norton icon shows green then you are protected despite what the Windows message says.

Hope that helps.

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks Hugh,

YES I have seen this...and you are right! It is more that is irritating than a danger.... I can see that form the Norton status reporting that everything is OK, is on and working.

However, I tried following the previous advise and step by step guide also in Windows 8 safe mode. It is not possible to rename, move or delete the Repository folder in Windows\System32\wbem....not with explore and not even in cmd with DOS commands...

I think I'll let it rest then...

Take care!

Kudos0

tkor,

That's my feeling -- if there were a simple solution we would have it already .... but getting Microsoft to change something .....

Hugh
Kudos0

So we have to complain on the Microsoft forums ?

Kudos0

MMXMMX wrote:

So we have to complain on the Microsoft forums ?

Not really -- Norton and Microsoft are discussing the problem and will surely resolve it -- I will lay odds that if you raise it on a Microsoft Forum they will blame Norton <g>

Hugh
Kudos2

We are working with Microsoft on this issue.  It's actually not a high occuring problem, which has made it tough to track down.  But we're on it...

Kudos0

Apparently this problem hasn't been fixed - I just got a new Dell with windows 8 and it keeps throwing my Norton security off - I've installed 3 times ??? i get my Norton thru Comcast xfinity - never had a problem before

Kudos0

chitownterp wrote:

Apparently this problem hasn't been fixed - I just got a new Dell with windows 8 and it keeps throwing my Norton security off - I've installed 3 times ??? i get my Norton thru Comcast xfinity - never had a problem before

ctt

Could you please explain what you mean by << keeps throwing my Norton security off  >> ?

Do you mean it rejects it when you try to install the COMCAST version of Norton 360?

Or are you referring to the known situation where Windows Action Center insists there is no protection although in fact Norton security is running at it should?

With a new computer as you have the first thing you have to do is to uninstall any trial installation of a security application that comes installed on it and then clean up with a special tool available in most cases from the maker of the security application.

If you tell us what came as a trial installation and whether you uninstalled it we can advise you on how to go on from there.

But if it's the "no Protection" warning then that is being dealt with direct between Microsoft and Norton and when it's sorted out I'm sure we will be told.

PS Also have a look at this thread which deals with certain aspects of installing the COMCAST version that may be helpful to you but please answer here on what you mean.

Hugh
Kudos0

I'm in the same situation: I custom-built a Windows PC yesterday---got some good holiday sales on parts---and decided to experiment with Windows 8 on it.  I downloaded Comcast's security bundle that includes Norton 360 as well as something called "Complete Guard" that I promptly uninstalled.  Norton is reporting that all of its features are on and working normally, but Windows Action Center is reporting that the Firewall, Spam protection, etc. are all off.  I've rebooted several times during various software installations and nothing has happened yet.  I will try disabling and then re-enabling Norton as described earlier in this thread and let everyone know if it works.

Kudos0

The disable - wait - re-enable - reboot cycle seems to have worked, at least for now.  I will let you know if the message in the Notification Center comes back (I swear it wasn't there for a while yesterday).  But for now it seems like this resolved the issue.

Kudos0

time_fly wrote:

The disable - wait - re-enable - reboot cycle seems to have worked, at least for now.  I will let you know if the message in the Notification Center comes back (I swear it wasn't there for a while yesterday).  But for now it seems like this resolved the issue.

If it comes back I'd just live with it until Microsoft sort out what is triggering this since Norton assure us you are protected as long as Norton says you are!

Hugh
Kudos0

I had the same problem but i sloved it. Now my norton 360 and windows 8 works perfectly.  Just

Download and run the Norton Remove & Reinstall tool from link below or google it and your problem will be sloved.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20110217171332EN&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=en&ct=us

Kudos0

This solution is mentioned before on Norton Community http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/problem-with-windows-8/m-p/839384#M81400. It worked for me a short time, but the problem returned. The problem still exists.

Kudos0

Don't know if it is coincidence or what, but since I changed to a static IP I have not had this problem since, when I was DHCP got it every time I rebooted.

Kudos0

Hello !

I have been following this thread for quite sometime and I am too facing the same problem on Windows 8 Pro x64 with Norton 360.

Randomly, Windows reports Norton 360 as being disabled. I know that since my Norton is showing that all is working perfectly good, I shouldn't really worry, but this problem makes Windows do all sorts of things like sometimes activating other security systems which will ultimately conflict with Norton.

Also, I would like to add that static IP is not a viable fix for me since my computer has been using a static IP from the beginning and I am getting the problem nonetheless.

Reinstalling Norton does not help.

Hope you come up with a fix pretty soon!

Regards

Kudos0

Not exactly the same product (I have NIS 2013) but had the same issue. I tried all possible solutions, without success, until I scanned the integrity of my system files using the following solution

- open an elevated command prompt (admin) (Win key+X - command prompt admin)

- sfc /scannow

- restart computer (if integrity issues were found and fixed)

This completely resolved it for me!

Replies are locked for this thread.