• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

NIS 2013 Norton Toolbar Unselects Firefox Remember Passwords Options

Since upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2013, enabling the Norton Toolbar extendon (version 2013.2.0.18) causes Firefox's (version  16.0.2)  "remember passwords" option to be unchecked when I restart Firefox. Disable the toolbar, recheck the option, and restart Firefox and the option is checked.  This behavior is consistent on both a Win 7 laptop and a Win XP desktop.  This problem didn't occur with NIS 2012.  How can I get the Norton Toolbar to stop interfering with my Firefox setting?

Thanks,

Terry

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 Norton Toolbar Unselects Firefox Remember Passwords Options

tmorse wrote:

Since upgrading to Norton Internet Security 2013, enabling the Norton Toolbar extendon (version 2013.2.0.18) causes Firefox's (version  16.0.2)  "remember passwords" option to be unchecked when I restart Firefox. Disable the toolbar, recheck the option, and restart Firefox and the option is checked.  This behavior is consistent on both a Win 7 laptop and a Win XP desktop.  This problem didn't occur with NIS 2012.  How can I get the Norton Toolbar to stop interfering with my Firefox setting?

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry,

Have you gone into settings and verified that the option to "Turn off the browser's password manager" is set to "No"?

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

John: Where is that setting located? All I see is a simple Browser Protection on-off switch under Settings:Web:Browser Protection and no such setting under Settings:Web:Identity Safe.

Thnak you,

Terry

Kudos0

tmorse wrote:

John: Where is that setting located? All I see is a simple Browser Protection on-off switch under Settings:Web:Browser Protection and no such setting under Settings:Web:Identity Safe.

Thnak you,

Terry

Hi Terry,

Sorry about the late response - Sometimes work intercedes!

The option is located in "Settings" on the "Web", "Identity Safe" tab - and is accessed by clicking "Configure" on "Browsing Options" ...

Please post back to let us know if it addresses your issue.

Kind Regards,

John

Kudos0

Thank you, John.

I found it.  The bad news is, the setting was "no" (i.e., don't disable browser's password manager), but it is still disabling Firefox's password manager.  [As an aside, this may actually be a Win 7 issue.  The behavior may not be consistent under Win XP.]

Terry

Kudos0

Hi Tmorse,

Thanks for reporting this issue. We will look into it.

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

is this problem about to be repaired ever or what? I had have the same problem about two months and I have reported it at http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/360-PE-v20-x-amp-FF15-password-management/td-p/807834 but the problem remains
Kudos0

Any word as to an update that will resolve the 'remember password for sites' box automatically being unchecked? I know this has to do with the vault being open because it does not do it when its closed.

Kudos0

This problem is still current as at 11Jan2013 and it seems to apply to NIS Version 20.2.0.19 and also to N360 Version  20.

Choosing NO appears to have no effect

Choosing ASK also appears to have no effect. 

NIS and N360 just go ahead, in a cavalier fashion and turn off the "Remember Passwords" setting in Firefox with no notice or seeking of permission.

Kudos0

I just disabled it and wont use it again. I downloaded LastPass, it works perfectly and it doesn't interfere with Firefox options.

Kudos0

I also ended up to test LastPass and I think there will be no return to NortonIDSafe

Kudos0

Can't say about NIS2013 (I refuse to use it because of the forced cloud issue) but it seems as though the last round of updates has caused the exact opposite problem in NIS2012 with FF.  With the Norton add-ins enabled, the FF PM selects/enables and cannot be deselected (is grayed-out) and continually conflicts with NTB's PM functionality.

This sort of nonsense is getting really old...

Hey Symantec - Here's a thought for you to mull over...

For a change-up, how's about hiring programmers that actually know what the H they're doing!

Kudos0

avjohnnie wrote:

This sort of nonsense is getting really old...

Hey Symantec - Here's a thought for you to mull over...

For a change-up, how's about hiring programmers that actually know what the H they're doing!

'Course it is Mozilla that keeps introducing major changes to  the browser every six weeks....   All in all, I think the Norton programmers do a commendable job in keeping up with the changes on such a short turnaround time.  I have seen on other forums where some of Norton's competitors will not work at all with the new Firefox versions at the times they are released.

Replies are locked for this thread.