• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

ilivid

I am furious that Norton calls ilivid safe!!!  I wanted to watch a webinar and the thing downloaded without any real permission or terms of agreement etc.  It just took over my computer.  It changed my search browsers in IE, Mozilla and Chrome...it added toolbars and taskbars, it went in and reset my System Restore so I could not get rid of the junk that way and it also installed a bunch of programs under the words bando media, ilivid, datamgnr, searchqu and searchnu, even "searchresults" is used..  I uninstalled everything I could find but it lurked in my program files and I could not get rid of it without going to a tech wizard who had to go in the registry to remove it.   (These guys are really crafty, they morph and change their names...dates...all of it). I thought that was why I have Norton!  This thing is as malicious as it gets and Norton just says "Welcome!"  NORTON...shouldn't you at least put up a warning...like "downloading this will re-set your browsers, add junk to your task bar tool bar...go into your program files and lurk in every corner of your computer."  If this is not malicious I do not know what is!!!!!  Another suggestion is if such a download is needed to view anything it should only be able to go so far into the computer.  What about a time limit!?  

Again, I thought by having an anti-virus program it would stop known viruses....this thing has been around for awhile....wake up!!!!!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: ilivid

It is a PUP, so is not bad more just annoying to most users, although some users now and then appear and they want the program installed on their system.

Norton dies detect viruses, etc.,  Viruses are like Virut and Ramnit,   Ilivid is not a virus.

Ilivid can be uninstalled via the programs list, and / or use Adwcleaner

Quads 

Kudos0

Perhaps there should be a warning category for PUP's in the Norton anti-virus software...???  It would sure help to not be invaded and then spend all the time having to reset the whole computer after this "invasion" harmful or not.

Kudos0

Any time a website requires you to download and install some program, plug-in, or codec in order to view the site's content, it should be considered suspicious.  Never install anything that you did not specifically go looking for yourself.  A healthy bit of skepticism will protect you better than any PUP warning ever could (how many posts have we seen asking how to disable Norton in order to install some crazy thing or another?).

Kudos0

threaddy wrote:

Perhaps there should be a warning category for PUP's in the Norton anti-virus software...???  It would sure help to not be invaded and then spend all the time having to reset the whole computer after this "invasion" harmful or not.

I had thought of the Idea od a PUP class of detection,  after a PC in front of me couldn't get past the "Welcome" screen on startup and I found a conflict between the AV installed and the 7 PUP's installed (yes 7)

I used Safe Mode to uninstall the AV then back in Normal Mode, although still slow going, I removed the 7 PUP's, with all objects.

A PUP grouping, For example,

PUP.babylon

PUP.conduit

PUP.ilivid

PUP.Freeze.com

PUP.mywebsearch_funwebproducts

If Norton detects a PUP.[Program name] Norton pops up a dialog box telling the user Norton has detected PUP.[Program name] installed on the system (or being installed) and would you like 

(2 buttons)

a) No I want the program installed on my system

b) Yes, have Norton remove the program.

The a) option if click then has Norton also not detect that PUP.[Program name]  again in future

The b) option click then means Norton goes about removing the objects belonging to the PUP.[Program name]  in question including Drivers, Services, Files Folders,, Registry Keys (including uninstall keys) and so on, It could even be like Adwcleaner and reset the browser settings for search enging and homepage etc. as long as the browser is supported by Norton.

being a program (PUP) it is easy to remove the entries You could say basically Norton is uninstalling the PUP like Adwcleaner does.

Quads

Kudos0

In reply to SendofJive...thank you for your response however I do not think the standard" tsk tsk "response is appropriate in this particular case.  Norton rates this outfit as SAFE!!!  That is my horror.  It is like saying a burglar is safe to come in and ransack your home because he does not take anything of "value".  Well, I value my time and I did have to spend near $200 to get an expert to go into my registry because this thing cannot be removed with a simple delete. 

Kudos0

Absolutely!  There needs to be some kind of warning whenever there is a download (or anything else for that matter) that goes in and changes things in a computer.  As I said to sendofjive it is like welcoming a burglar in to ransack one's home but as long as he does not leave the house with anything in his pockets or harm anyone, he is considered "safe".

If adjustments are needed for some application could there be a one use only for the application while in use? 

There definitely needs to be a warning from Norton, explaining the results of downloading something that infiltrates the computer and changes settings.  Some people might want this thing lurking around, and they can proceed.

Your suggestions are excellent!

If Norton does not have this protection is there any other anti virus program that does have a PUP warning?  It seems it could be a very significant feature that many people would want, even if it would mean an upgraded package.

Kudos0

I just did a search on this forum on PUP's.  It seems there a lot of them out there.  I really wish some anti-virus company would deal with this!  As I said before, it could be an upgraded protection option.

Kudos1

Hi threaddy,

I see you also posted to the PCWorld forums about this issue.  Your comments about PUPs were important enough that your issue became the topic of the following PCWorld article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2016548/why-isnt-a-program-malware-if-it-installs-additional-unwanted-software.html

The author, Lincoln Spector's, remarks about PUPS are in agreement with many of the explanations about PUPs that have been posted here on the Norton Forums, both in this thread as well as in many others.

I'm glad to see that your concerns about PUPs elicited such a full discussion of them on the pages of PCWorld, where many more people may find this information helpful.

Kudos0

Thank you for the heads up.

Norton recently asked me if I wanted their safe search option and I checked "yes".  Then Google warned me that a program would remove it as my search engine and asked me if I was sure I wanted to do that. It  gave me the option to not change..  No, quite frankly I was not wanting my search engine messed with after all as I was unaware the Norton safe search would take out my google search.  Why can't this feature be available if there are any changes to ones settings with a download?  Just a little warning..."are you sure, this program wants to change...and describe the changes that are going to occur(well in ilivid's case...your whole computer)

Quad had some excellent ideas.

I would  love it if Norton could have an added level of protection as it detects changes...it stops those changes from going through and asks the user "are you sure"   When the user says yes the changes are allowed. This feature could be turned off if someone knows what they are doing and do not want the bother to answer all the "are you sure" questions.

Kudos0

If you go to the PC article that Lincoln wrote you will see there are a lot of unhappy computer users who hate the changes to their computers.  It would be a very nice feature to add a known PUP alert or some alert  when changes are about to occur. I would think any anti-virus program that offers this would generate good business.  It could be an upgrade to the standard package.

Hoping Norton tackles this problem and offers a solution.

Kudos0

Also had problems with ilivid download manager. It changed settings in my browser completely. After a long search on the internet, found another program - Free YouTube Download http://dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-Download.htm  The download goes smoothly now, the program contains no spyware or malware. You can try it as well. 

Replies are locked for this thread.