• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

WIN 8 COMPATIBILITY

I installed Norton 360 latest version on an AMD machine running previously Win 7 Home Premium. All fine and ok except 2 times when it goes to sleep (idle) it doesn't wake up, I have to switch it off by taking off the current and I loose the BIOS. The machine is unbootable, it is now back in the GeekSquad. Is it Norton???

Replies

Kudos0

Re: WIN 8 COMPATIBILITY

gdiloren wrote:
I installed Norton 360 latest version on an AMD machine running previously Win 7 Home Premium. All fine and ok except 2 times when it goes to sleep (idle) it doesn't wake up, I have to switch it off by taking off the current and I loose the BIOS. The machine is unbootable, it is now back in the GeekSquad. Is it Norton???

Hi,
If your computer does not boot anter a power off shutdown I would suspect the CMOS battery on the motherboard is bad. This is the thing that keeps the BIOS available when the power comes on and wants to know that to do and what resources are available. Nothing to do with anything of the software nature this one is strictly a hardware [battery] problem.

If you know what to do you can make that replacement yourself. It is a coin battery and susally available where batteries are sold.

Keep us posted

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Problem is (from surfing let's say Avast and Comodo forums) many AV get their WIN 8 certification but they cause say BSOD blue screens especially on 64 bits systems.I'm sure it's Norton's performing actions in the background (back-up) that cause the computer not to wake up when it goes to deep sleep, Geeksquad said they'll take out the sleep option and I'll try again)it's not the CMOS battery as they're able to reinstall Win 8 pro without changing it. I must say I downloaded and bought my Win8 from the internet, so let's hope the iso image isn't missing some files!
Kudos0

<< I must say I downloaded and bought my Win8 from the internet, so let's hope the iso image isn't missing some files! >>

Always a risk if you don't know that the supplier is reputable. Where did you download from?

Windows 8 has a powerful "repair" function built in but you need a disk for it and I guess it's not much point using the one you made if you think it might be OK.  You might ask the GeekSquad to run the built in System FIle Checker and if it asks for a disk to use one of theirs that matches. This is OK with Microsoft if you do have a valid licence yourself.

I'm running NIS 2013 on Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit and I don't have problems with booting up but I've never tried using the sleep mode.

Is there any particular reason that you do use that and not just shut down and start up -- it's worth the time since going through that cycle cleans up the system to some extent.

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks for answering. In fact I downloaded Win 8 Pro from Microsoft compatibility checker and it's internet. If I get the same problem in the future, I'll ask for your solution. I'll also go through cycles of restart-shut down instead of automatic sleep and wake-up. Real happy Norton 2013 works real fine on your 64 bits system. In fact, apart from that sleep thing problem, in worked fantastically well on mine except on a full scan it stopped on a microsoft folder in the user/roaming directory:I had to force reboot then upon starting a new full scan Norton re-started from where it left!. Not sure I understand why it stopped on that file and directory for ever! Apart from that, quick scans runned fine! Thanks!
Kudos0

Glad it came from the source <s> Although it is possible for such to be corrupted during download it shouldn't happen very often.

You know where to find us if you need help.

Hugh
Kudos0

Just to keep you posted, the Geek Squad of Best Buy finally gave me back my pc with Win 7 Home Premium OEM installed. They say HP desktops bought before 2011 are simply incompatible with Win 8 Pro Upgrade. So, it's not an antivirus affair in my case. Long live Win 7 for Productivity and features...!
Kudos0

long live window 8

Kudos2

Thanks for the update.

Frankly unless your PC has a touchscreen there is little that Windows 8 has to offer that Windows 7 cannot do just as well for the typical user so stick with something for which the computer was designed and which works. It will be supported by Microsoft for plenty of time yet.

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.