• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

360 won't open from the icon, or start menu

Recent purchase and activation of 360.  For some reason, the pgm won't open from the desktop icon or from the Start Menu.  If I choose certain Norton tasks from the Taskbar in the lower right near the clock, they will run, but the main pgm won't open.

I've tried the reboot suggestion, and if I attempt to open 360 just after a reboot, it will open very quickly, but then closes, and I can't open it again by just casually clicking from the desktop or Start menu.

I have tried uninstalling using the Norton uninstaller; after a complete uninstall, and a reinstall of 360, I can only click the desktop icon once...the application opens and closes in a 'flash.'  I am able to pick the individual tasks from under the main 360 application out of the Start Menu, or from the Taskbar, but, still unable to open the main pgm 360 from Start menu or desktop icon.

Any ideas?

Anyone else have issues not being able to open 360 after the install?

Thank you

Replies

Kudos1

Re: 360 won't open from the icon, or start menu

Hi hillsmi,

From the system tray iocon, please try to run Get Support and let us knwo what the resutls are.

Also if you can, run LiveUpdate from the system tray icon and reboot if requested and run LiveUpdate until it reponds "no updates found".

Did you have any antivirus program insatlled on the system prior to the initial install of Norton?  If so, what was it and did you use the removal tool for that product (over and above Norton removing it) prior to installing Norton?

We'll be waiting on your responses.

Kudos0

Yes, I did run Support from the system tray Icon, and the results were basically clean, without any problems reported.  I was directed to the uninstall program, which I did, and re-d/l and installed.

And yes, I have been able to run Live Update, only from right-clicking from the Sys Tray icon, or the sub-menu from the Start Menu, and yes, everything is up-to-date.

To my knowledge, there are no other active AV programs, once I installed Norton, I rid the system of the priors.

The system has been rebooted, and all seems to be clean and up-to-date, but as previously stated, when I try to activate 360 from the desktop icon, or through the Start Menu, the pgm will not come up.  I can only use the limited sub-programs via the System Tray, or the Start Menu; the main pgm will not start.

Kudos0

Hi hillsmi,

Thanks for the addtional information. 

I am curious which Version of N360 you are running.  Standard or Premiere and also the Version #.  It willbe difficult to tell the version number unless we know more about the installation.  Was it downloaded from Norton store, (or perhaps AMAZON) or was it purchased on a CD?  One thing you can try is via the System Tray Icon , select Check for New Version.  If there is one available, it will update to it and may even cler up you situation.

Please try that and post back.

Also please go to the Control Panel and see if there are any other security prograsm remainin besides Norton.  Also tell us which AV program (s) you had installed in the past - even if you "rid the system of the priors".  It is possible some remants are conflicting with Norton.

We'll be awaiting your responses. 

Kudos0

Posted in error.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Yes, 360 was d/l from the Norton store just a few days back.

Yes, it is reported as being updated, and current, according to Norton.  I run Live Update at least 2-3x / day.

Again, I have uninstalled with the Norton uninstaller, and reinstalled via the Norton downloader, but to no avail.

I previously had NAV installed, but when I d/l 360, Norton apparently removed NAV, prior to allowing the install of 360.

And from the initial install of Win7 64, Defender is on the HDD, but it is not currently turned on.  BUT, I did not have this issue of not being able to open the program from the Start menu or desktop icon when NAV was installed and active, it has only become an issue since 360 installed itself.

Kudos0

Hi hillsmi,

From the sounds of it, for some reason NAV remnants may be causing a conflict.  I would suggest you uninstall N 360 via the Control Panel,reboot, download and run the Norton Removal Tool, reboot, reinstall N 360.  After the install and activation, please run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until it responds "no updates found".

Please keep us posted.

Kudos0

Did as the previous post suggested; Uninstalled via CP, rebooted, d/l and ran Norton Removal and rebooted x3, used the Norton d/l to reinstall 360 and ran LiveUpdate until it couldn't do it anymore.

I even went so far as to run regedit between the final Norton Removal and the reinstall to manually search / find and remove the following entries from the registry prior to reinstalling 360; Norton, Symantec, NAV and antivirus, to which none were found.

I then proceeded to reinstall 360 from the website directly.

After the final reboot and letting the system settle, I clicked the Norton desktop icon, the pgm flashed on the screen for about 1/2 a second (literally), and then disappeared.

As of now, I still CANNOT open the main pgm 360 from the Start Menu, or the desktop icon (to be able to custom-configure any / all settings, if I so desire).  I am only able to start the sub-pgms by clicking them from either the System Tray, or the Tasks Menu after right-clicking 360 from the Start Menu.

I am not able to open the main 360 pgm at all (only the sub-pgms) from the icon, Start Menu, or System Tray.

This is not right!

I never had this problem with NAV in the past.  I've been using and running Norton / Symantec products for probably about 10 years now.

Kudos0

Do you use Tortoise SVN? If so, there is a known issue that is solved by updating Tortoise.

Kudos0

Hi hillsmi,

I am a bit confused at the moment (which some folks may say that is not hard to believe)!  

If you have updated N 360 to the latest version,  which is version 20.2.0.19 , which does away with the desktop icon for N 360, then it would appear you are clicking on an old icon that does not function any longer.  So your clicking on the desktop icon and nothing happening is an  expected result.

Have you tried what I suggested before -  via the System Tray Icon , to select Check for New Version.  If there is one available, it will update to it and may even clear up you situation.

I;m sorry if I missed it - but what is your operating system?  I am on Win 7 and my Start menu, and a hover over N 360 provides an open N 360 option.

I agree with what you are saying is not right, so please bear with us while we continue to dig deeper.

Kudos0

No, no tortoise.

Kudos0

Well then, I guess we are equally confused, because yes, I have checked for newer versions via the System Tray Icon, and previously, after I uninstalled all Norton / Symantec / NAV / antivirus, via the Norton Uninstaller, and manually searching the registry to ensure that there were no traces of any of the above remaining...It has, more than once, stated that I am using the latest version.

I am using Win7 Ultimate 64-bit.  And I too, have the Open Norton, to the right of Norton 360 off the Start, and System Tray menus, but, when I click Open Norton 360, it does nothing!

I reinstalled 360 via a direct d/l, and it still places the Norton icon on my desktop I never had an older Norton / 360, or any other Norton / Symantec icon on my desktop; it was placed there with this most recent purchase and d/l of 360, directly from the Norton site.  How do I check the version number, especially if I am unable to open the pgm?

So, that leads me to another question...If there is not supposed to be any icon to initiate the pgm, then how is one supposed to launch the pgm to change / customize settings?

If I am only able to start a few of the sub-pgms, then why are the other options available in the pgm if one is not able to access them, like me, being unable to open the entire pgm and browse around and make changes?  Has Norton taken it upon themselves to decide what and how the pgm is to be configured, and removed the icon from the desktop, only assuming that their preconceived settings are good enough for all?

Does Norton / Symantec monitor these forums?  Maybe this could be seen by one them, and a resolution brought forward.

Kudos0

I'm sorry, but I am running out of ideas/suggestions.  I dont think it would have anything to do with this situation - but are you on a Windows User which has admin rights?

A new shortcut can always be added to the desktop in order to open the N 360 program as can a shortcut for any installed program.   Are you sure the Norton Icon on your desktop is in fact not the Norton Installation icon - the one that contains the installation files.

Maybe if you  right click on the Icon, select Properties and highight/copy the Target entry, we'll be able to tell what the shortcut is.

The program is meant to be able to be enabled, via the System Tray Icon , the Start Menu, or actually thru Start > All Programs > N 360.

Yes, Norton monitors this forum and they (Norton employees) can be spotted by their user names in RED, others such as myself are volunteers who assist here.

Kudos1

I am having this exact same problem and have done exactly the same things as the orginal poster. I don't have to repeat because my situation is exactly the same.   I would like to access the controls in order to adjust the settings.  At this point it is not clear if Norton is running auto backups or if I have to do this manually. Is there a solution to this problem? 

Kudos0

Ok in my review of the forum it seems that not be able to open the program from the short cut was done on purpose in the newest versions of the Norton. Al I correct?  If so why did the responses to the original poster not know that.  Hope to hear something from somebody.  Thanks

Kudos0

Joette wrote:

I am having this exact same problem and have done exactly the same things as the orginal poster. I don't have to repeat because my situation is exactly the same.   I would like to access the controls in order to adjust the settings.  At this point it is not clear if Norton is running auto backups or if I have to do this manually. Is there a solution to this problem? 

Hi Joette,

I hear what you are saying - but stateing "Idon't need to repeat because my situation is exactly the same is not enough (at least for me) to go on.  You may have done the same things- did you get the same results?  What are the answers to the  unanswered questions we have asked of the OP in regards to your system?

Nothing has been mentioned in the OP's posts in regards to backup - so that in itself  should warrant a new thread for that question - even if everything else is "exactly the same".

The more information we can gather within a thread addressing a single situation lends to a better chance of resolution, rather than adding other situations (backup as an example) to an exsisting thread.

Starting your own thread with all the info you can supply would enable us to better assist you as all your facts woukld be in one place and we would not have to assume all the answers/results of our requests are the same.

Kudos0

Joette wrote:

Ok in my review of the forum it seems that not be able to open the program from the short cut was done on purpose in the newest versions of the Norton. Al I correct?  If so why did the responses to the original poster not know that.  Hope to hear something from somebody.  Thanks

I'll admit I did not mention the desktop shortcut not being available in the most recent version in the first post I made in response to the OP, because at that point in time I felt it was more important obtaining other info in regards to a quick solution for the OP.  Just because I did not state it, does not mean I did not know it.

If you read this entire thread you will see I stated:

"If you have updated N 360 to the latest version,  which is version 20.2.0.19 , which does away with the desktop icon for N 360, then it would appear you are clicking on an old icon that does not function any longer.  So your clicking on the desktop icon and nothing happening is an  expected result."

Kudos0

Thanks for your refsponse.  My OS is windows 7.  When I try to open Norton all that happens is the blue circle comes up and nothing happens.  I can run programs manually but can not get to settings page.   I have done the Norton uninstall and reinstall. I transferred my norton subscription to my new computer a month ago that was downloaded with  a trial verson which was replaced through Norton with my current subscription.  Norton seems to be working because I get notices but I can not access my settings.

I had a technicain from the chat forum come to my destop and so a scan without any infections found and deleted the Malwarebytes but it still didn't work.  She transferred be to a supervisor and. I have been waiting for an hour.  I need to go now so I had to terminate the remote desktop.  Sure wish someone could get this resolved.

Kudos0

Here is the properties of the Norton 360 icon on my desktop, which was placed there via the installation of the direct d/l from the Norton site...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine64\20.2.0.19\uiStub.exe" >>>

but, you state that the icon should not exist, well, in this particular case, this icon, with the above version number of the pgm, was placed there during the installation of 360 through the direct d/l of the pgm, even after the machine was cleaned and cleared of all Norton / Symantec / NAV / Antivirus pgms, manually through the registry, and also via the Norton Unintaller.

So why, if the 360 desktop icon was done away with in v 20.2.0.19, is it present on my desktop as a result of the automatic install of 360 directly from their site?

And again, I cannot open the main pgm via any of the avenues that you mentioned >>> Sys Tray icon, Start Menu, or through All Programs; none of them work to open the main pgm Norton 360.

I am limited to the scant selections through the System tray, or the Start Menu sub-pgms that display if you go through one of those avenues.

Kudos0

Hi hillsmi,

Thanks for the info.

Can you give me an exact location of the "direct d/l of the pgm" that you used?  A URL would be vey handy. 

Also please go to the location C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine64\20.2.0.19\uiStub.exe and riht click on uiStub.exe and select Open - do you get the same result?  A flash and then the pgm disappears?

I have no idea why the desktop shortcut  appears - and am even more curious now since Joette also has simialr situations.

I have some "real-life events" coming up tonight, so I may not be back until either much later - or tomorrow morning - so do not feel I am abandoning ship!

Kudos0

The exact location of the d/l I purchased is from the Norton site.  I cannot provide 'exact location' as I d/l it after a purchase, but if you want, you can go to norton.com and proceed to Norton 360, and I'm sure you will find the URL you are seeking.

And as far as navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine64\20.2.0.19\uiStub.exe >>> when I right click that, it does nothing, absolutely nothing!!!

Kudos0

I am having the EXACT same issues. Thought it was ridiculous to renew for $79.99 when I could buy for $49.99. I uninstalled Norton 360 and purchased new Norton 360. Went through download and installation and the program will not open. I have a desktop icon, also. When I did the liveupdate, it said it updated 12 of 12 programs for 9.43 MB. 

Kudos0

I'm currently having the same issue, I've been all over google for the last few hours and stumbled across this, I've done everything the same with no luck.......BUT...... After all the "scanning" and no errors found I started getting good ol "blue screen" every time I would try to run power eraser. I'm in know way knowledgeable when it comes to tech stuff anymore but decided to run in safe mode. It gives you the option to run a full sweep and so far it has picked up 3 viruses that had previously gone undetected. Still running lol. Not sure if when its done the problem may subside, but I figured I would register here and post my findings in hopes it may help. Good luck!

Kudos0

Oh, just finished ...... Looks like it found a Mr "Trojan. Gen.2" and a Mrs "hacktool" lurking around. And now to reboot?

Kudos0

Jonadz wrote:

I'm currently having the same issue, I've been all over google for the last few hours and stumbled across this, I've done everything the same with no luck.......BUT...... After all the "scanning" and no errors found I started getting good ol "blue screen" every time I would try to run power eraser. I'm in know way knowledgeable when it comes to tech stuff anymore but decided to run in safe mode. It gives you the option to run a full sweep and so far it has picked up 3 viruses that had previously gone undetected. Still running lol. Not sure if when its done the problem may subside, but I figured I would register here and post my findings in hopes it may help. Good luck!

The reason issues can be found in Safe Mode and not in standard mode is that the malware can hide behind running Windows processes. When the drivers are not loaded as in Safe Mode, they can no longer hide.

We wait to hear what happens after your reboot.

Kudos0

No dice thus far, still closed within seconds of opening? Though it didn't give me the blue screen this time around for the power erase.....again I wait....and drink..... This isn't even my computer lol. the girlfriend seems to think I have a clue what I'm doing?

Kudos0

Power erase just finished and said no errors found.... Back to square one I guess

Kudos0

hillsmi wrote:

The exact location of the d/l I purchased is from the Norton site.  I cannot provide 'exact location' as I d/l it after a purchase, but if you want, you can go to norton.com and proceed to Norton 360, and I'm sure you will find the URL you are seeking.

And as far as navigating to C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine64\20.2.0.19\uiStub.exe >>> when I right click that, it does nothing, absolutely nothing!!!

Thanks for the info,

Have you downloaded the program from Norton and saved it on you system and have used that same download for the reinstalls? 

Can you try to uninstall and  reinstall N 360 using one of the following links (dependent on if you are running Standard or Premiere edition of N 360)? 

N360 Standard - www.norton.com/n360s_20

N360 Premier - www.norton.com/n360p_20

Let us know the result.

Kudos0

edr321 wrote:

I am having the EXACT same issues. Thought it was ridiculous to renew for $79.99 when I could buy for $49.99. I uninstalled Norton 360 and purchased new Norton 360. Went through download and installation and the program will not open. I have a desktop icon, also. When I did the liveupdate, it said it updated 12 of 12 programs for 9.43 MB. 

Hi edr321,

Which version of N 360 did you purchase?  Was it an older version - say N 360 version 6 (2012 product)?  If so, the desktop shortcut was still created as part of that version's installation.

You need to continue to run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until it reposnds "no Updates found"  You need to receive that specific wording - or you are not totally updated.   

Kudos0

Right-clicking desktop icon allows me to select "Troubleshoot compatibility". I eventually get to uistub incompatible.

This is target:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Norton 360\Engine64\20.2.0.19\uiStub.exe"

Size of uistub.exe is165,272 bytes. Norton 360 won't open directly from hre, either.

Kudos0

I believe the install files were saved to the desktop?  Will have to recheck.

How do I know which vers, Standard or Premier, I ordered / downloaded?

Thank you,

Kudos0

@ edr321,

Please answer my previous question:

Which version of N 360 did you purchase?  Was it an older version - say N 360 version 6 (2012 product)?  If so, the desktop shortcut was still created as part of that version's installation.

Perhaps I should have also included - was it N 360 Standard or N 360 Premiere?  They require different product keys and one will not work with the other - curious if that is why incompatability is showing up.

Kudos0

hillsmi wrote:

I believe the install files were saved to the desktop?  Will have to recheck.

How do I know which vers, Standard or Premier, I ordered / downloaded?

Thank you,

Is it in your email that you received from Norton when you renewed?  Normally one could look in Support > About
 but you can't do that - makes things tougher.   

The Premiere version comes with 25 GB of Online sotorage for backup instead of 2 GB - perhaps you can remember that way.

Kudos0

Purchased last night. Invoice just says Norton 360.

Kudos0

edr321 wrote:

Purchased last night. Invoice just says Norton 360.

After looking at the Special Offers available I would guess it is the Standard version.  Although I did not see N 360 offered for $49.99 (that was the offered price of NIS)?

Kudos0

Hi again-

I am around today and will be following this post to see if there is any resolution or something I should do to correct this problem.  On reboot this morning I had an error message but was able to start up as usually but still not able to open the program.  The main page comes up for just a flash and then disappears.  I believe I have the standard version and the target information is the same as the others.  Hoping for a resolution here.  Thanks.

Kudos0

Joette wrote:

Hi again-

I am around today and will be following this post to see if there is any resolution or something I should do to correct this problem.  On reboot this morning I had an error message but was able to start up as usually but still not able to open the program.  The main page comes up for just a flash and then disappears.  I believe I have the standard version and the target information is the same as the others.  Hoping for a resolution here.  Thanks.

Hi Joette,

Can you tell us the exact wording of that error message?  Was it a Norton error?  A screenshot would have been helpful.

Here's some info on screnshots if you need it: 

http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/td-p/254415

@ ALL - since this thread now has three folks following it and posting, I'll do my best to keep each of your situations straight - but please let me know if I start confusing who did what and got which results! 

Kudos0

I'm sorry I didn't keep track of the error message but it wasn't from norton.  It came up as soon as I turned on my computer before windows even opened and then went to the black screen asking to open windows normally or repair.  I clicked repair and the error message came up and shut down my computer.  I turned it on again and the black screen came up and clicked open normally which it did without any problem.  I will shut it down and see if it comes back up and let you know. 

Kudos0

Ok I just restarted my comp and there was no error message.  When the Norton technicians were on remote desktop yesterday they opened a program call VRQ that scans at start up that now is open and scans at start up, not sure how to get rid of this.  It found a malicious trojan and said to run a full scan.  I clicked on the norton icon and the Norton page came up for a few seconds and disappeared then a warning message came up that said Could not access web services at http://www-secure. some features of the application may not function. Then I checked my norton program to run a full scan and realized I can't do that.  So I am thinking I don't have full protection from Norton.  What should I do?

Kudos0

Hi

Do you have a Recovery Disk for your computer or an Operating system Disk? 

If yes, then proceed with this: Download and run the FixTDss tool from here -> Once you're prompted to do a restart -> Restart and then do not Fix if you get a prompt that MBR is infected post the result in here.

-Shri
Kudos0

I've only got 2GB, so my version was the Standard.

Kudos0

Am following the Standard link now...will follow instructions, and post back with result.

Kudos0

Okay,

I followed the link for the Standard version...The pgm uninstalled completed from my system, rebooted.  After reboot, I manually searched the registry for the following terms; Norton / Symantec / NAV / Antivirus...none were found.

I then proceeded to log into my Norton account to re-d/l, again, 360 purchased on 11/9 and downloaded directly from the Norton site.  The link that I d/l from is here... https://webdl.symantec.com/?SASSERVER=lcdls.symantec.com&LNG=ENG-USA&BINARYTYPE=10&USEDM=1&TRANSID=%2F629236210%2FDEMRtV0D9PAQB69R876200GKJ6HX%2FhFjxvAAATrCXwF5g%2F7qgcJTYF%3Flatest%3Dtrue%26LNG%3DENG-USA%26overrideParameters%3D%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E%252F%2526%257E

The Installer displayed that I am 'Now Protected' and that 360 was successfully installed.  When I went to 'Explore Norton 360' from the flash screen left behind by the installer, the main pgm menu 'flashed' on the screen for about 0.5 seconds, then disappeared.

The Installer again, installed a Norton 360 Icon on my desktop, with the following Properties... "C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine64\20.2.0.19\uiStub.exe"

There is a Norton Installation Files folder on my desktop as well.

When I click the Norton 360 Icon to open the pgm, it again, as explained many times before, does absolutely nothing!

When I choose Norton 360 from the Start Menu, and click Open Norton 360, it does absolutely nothing!

When I right-click the Norton icon in the System Tray, and click Open Norton 360, it does absolutely nothing!

So, to sum up again, I have uninstalled about six times now, manually made sure there are no traces of any Norton or Symantec products on my HDD, and reinstalled as many times.  The installer places a Norton 360 Icon on my desktop with the following Properties..."C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360\Engine64\20.2.0.19\uiStub.exe"

I still am unable to open the pgm to change / configure the pgm to my liking, should I want to.  All I am able to do is open the scant sub-pgms from the System Tray and the Start Menu.  I cannot open the entire pgm.

I have done everything that a couple of you have suggested I try, but there has been no solution / resolution.  One states that with the newest version of 360, it removes the icon from the desktop, that is untrue here >>> even after completely wiping my system of all traces of Norton.  One suggested that the icon is probably left over from some previous version, but no, not if I uninstalled, and manually searched and removed all traces of Norton from the HDD.

I have checked for Latest Version via right-clicking through the System Tray, and it responds back stating that I am already running the latest version.

I have run Live Update to no end, showing that all is up-to-date, and that all is well.

Upon reboot, after the complete uninstall, reinstall, update, and version check, I get the blue screen of death, very fast, so I am unable to see the error.

I rebooted into Safe Mode, and am now in the middle of running a complete system scan using the newly reinstalled N360; so far, all it has found is some tracking cookies.  I will continue to update.  I may end up having to use a Restore Point (I really don't want to do that), and reinstall N360 yet again.

This is really getting frustrating.  In the past with NAV, I've never had ANY problems.  This N360, not supposed to have an icon, but it gave me one, and not being able to open the pgm, which I think I should be able to to, from either the desktop, System Tray, Start Menu, or All Pgms, is just absurd.

And now?  I've got a blue screen upon boot up, and can't access my system?  It seems as though N360 has corrupted my system, and no one seems to be able to resolve, or give any advise that I can use to have a successful outcome.

Kudos0

Hi hillsmi,

Please do what we ask you to do - no more and now less.

You stated:

I followed the link for the Standard version...The pgm uninstalled completed from my system, rebooted.

At this point you should have continued with the install from the link I supplied you,(which uninstalled the N 360) rather than doing all the other things and getting the downloader involved in the process again.  I provided the download link specifically to avoid using the download manager which may in fact have  a problem.   The link I supplied would have uninstalled, asked for the reboot and then continued with the installation of N 360.

Since you elected to use the Norton Account and the download manger, you bypassed the troubleshooting step I was trying to accomplish.  You have uninstalled and reinstalled umberous times - that's why I tried to present a different method in hope of it working as I have seen other problems over the last couple of days using the d/l manager. 

I know you are frustrated, but if you could do what we ask, and not add anything or do anything your way rather than the way we suggest, it might go easier to help us troubleshoot and understand what is going on with your system.

Kudos0

Okay,

I will try the link for the Standard one more time, and see if that does anything.

I am going to pay particular attention after the install, because I do not recall it asking for a reboot, and a reinstall.

But, per your suggestion, I will follow that link to uninstall, and reinstall, and report back with findings.

Thank you.

Kudos0

I too am frustrated and quite honestly afraid to do what you are asking.  An employee asked me to do some process that requires my recovery tool which I assume will delete my programs and am very nervous to do this because I don't think the problem is with my computer but with your product.  After Norton did a remote desktop and never got back to  me leaving this new program on my machine that yesterday did not find any virus and today upon reboot did (I did not use my computer for anything else after the Norton remote desktop).  So I have been  waiting and watching what hillsmi is doing and it seems to me he is following your instructions properly. 

By the way I too got the norton desktop icon and I think you are referring to the desktop gadget that is no longer available with the new version according to this sight.  I will keep watching this thread for updates to see if anyone has success. 

Kudos0

Choose which?

Plan to reinstall, or

Remove all user data?

Kudos0

hillsmi wrote:

Choose which?

Plan to reinstall, or

Remove all user data?

Plan to reinstall.

Kudos0

And, after, it will automatically direct me to install?

If it does not, for whatever reason, what avenue or URL should I go to to reinstall 360.

Thank you.

Kudos0

hillsmi wrote:

And, after, it will automatically direct me to install?

If it does not, for whatever reason, what avenue or URL should I go to to reinstall 360.

Thank you.

You sound like you have doubts. 

Actually the same URL should work and skip the unistall as no other Norton product will be detected since you already had it removed.

Kudos0

d/l of the Standard link you provided got to the end, and then said it couldn't be d/l.

So, am trying to d/l it again, and let it run through the paces, and will see if it will prompt 1. an attempt at an uninstall, and 2.  an installation.

Will report back.

It is currently at 35%, but crawling, even with a 3MB DSL d/l.

Replies are locked for this thread.