• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos1

norton internet security windows 8 problem HELP!

I recently installed norton internet secyrity on my pc (windows 8). I encounter a very strange problem. I can't scan my computer for viruses. When i click on'' quick scan'' or ''full scan'' option ,nothing happens.  Any help??? 

Replies

Kudos0

Re: norton internet security windows 8 problem HELP!

I also have that problem sometimes, when I click on something is NIS2013 using Win8 Pro nothing happens...

Just restart and all is fine...

NIS2013 is a little bit wack... NIS2013 was much more stable imo.. maybe I'll try that one again tomorrow...

Kudos0

Hello I23bjcc,

Can you please help us in gathering the log files?

Here is how you can collect it:

1) Visit the below site:
https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080507162141EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

2) In the end, no files will be sent to Symantec automatically. You will be shown the location of the logs after you complete the form after hitting the "finish" button.
Let me know when you have the logs ready, I will help you to upload it.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Kudos0

I seem to be having the same issue, has there been a fix to this problem yet? 

Kudos0

Hello JeffreyComeau,

Can you help us in gathering log files for this problem? You can find the detailed steps in this post:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/norton-internet-security-windows-8-problem-HELP/m-p/850094#M223515

Vineeth

Kudos0

Where do i upload the log file?

Kudos0

Hello JeffreyComeau,

I sent you a private message with the steps to upload the log files. Please look for a yellow envelope on the top-right corner of any forum page, once you signed in.

Vineeth

Kudos0

I have this same problem.  Often I will want to run a scan and nothing happens when I click on a scan option.  Also it fails to start a scan if I right click on any suspect file in my folders.   I have to reboot the system and sometimes its back to normal and working again and other times it takes another boot up or shutdown to fix.     I have been with Norton for years and this is the very first time I have considered going to a different brand.  I feel that my Windows 8 system is not protected. If I cannot run a scan when I wish how do I know my system has or is being protected in the background????

The 2013 version for Windows 8 is buggy and the worst version I have ver used in all the years of owning your product.

My PC:

Windows 8 pro 64 bit.
3.16 core duo CPU

8GB ram

2TB H/drive

560Ti video card.

Norton Internet Security 2013 version 20.2.0.19 with all live latest updates.

Kudos0

I have also been having the same issue occurring intermittently but quite regularly on two pc's running WIN 8 Pro 64 bit and NIS 2013. This has been occurring since the first day of WIN 8 upgrade from WIN 7 on both pc's.

Sometimes I can initiate a scan and other times there is no response. Rebooting seems to solve the issue.

OK. Others are having this frustrating issue and it is occurring on both of the pc's that I maintain. Therefore it is not an issue with either of my pc's. It is a Norton issue.

Windows 8 has been in release for two months now. Come on guys, there has been plenty of time for you to find a fix.

Thanks.

Kudos0

I was told these forums are like a ghost town?  Does anyone know if anyone from the company reads these problems?

Should I open a new topic and repeat myself? 

Has anyone that posted here had any feedback from them on this serouis issue?

Kudos0

Where do i upload the log file?

Kudos0

Now Im worried.    I just spoke to a live chat person at Symantec about this problem and they were NOT even aware of it.
They knew nothing about it.   They believe all is well with their 2013 version??      Oh dear it maybe time to change to a differnt brand.

Kudos0

Hi

Please Remove your Display adapter(s) through Device Manager and then Restart the machine. Goto Device Manager again and scan for Hardware Changes and let windows reinstall the Display driver. Then Launch the Scan and other settings options in Norton and check.

Open Run -> Type devmgmt.msc -> Select Display Adapters and expand it -> Right click on the Display adapters and right click to uninstall them. If you have more than one uninstall them all and restart the machine.

-Shri
Kudos0

I got Norton Internet Security with my new windows 8 laptop and its only a 60 day subscription, I have 27 days left but i also have this issue i have for about a week it wont let me scan and when i manage to press fix now it opens a quick scan and intantly fails i have no idea what to do? help please

Kudos0

Have you tried to run AutoFIX?

Kudos0

I contacted live support and they took control of my desktop and tried several things including Autofix and the outcome was they were not aware of this fault.  The lady tried everyhting to fix it and could not, so she lodged a report. She was stunned to see that the program itself said there was nothing wrong but she could not run a scan or open settings until a reboot. Then within a few minutes the fault was back. I hope the problem is looked into now.   I have 130 days on my account before renewal, I hope they can fix it in that time or Bitdefender for Windows 8 is looking a maybe.  I hope I can stay with Nortons. But if I cannot run a scan when I need to whats the point of having it? 

Kudos0

I had exactly the same experience roughly one month ago that mfree45 just posted . Support took over control of my PC, ran Autofix and found no problem. He claimed to be aware of no issues like mine.

Just curious. Is anyone else with this problem also running Hitman Pro? Or Spyware Blaster? These additional security programs have always been compatible with NIS and have never caused any issues. Could this have changed with Windows 8? If we can find a commonality in relation to the no scan issue, it may help in determining the cause.

I have been using NIS for quite a number of years, but it may be time to move on. I am having this issue on two pc's. I don't see any response from Norton on this, so what else am I to do?

Kudos0

NIS 2013 just doesn't work (at least with Windows 8). Issues have been reported for months with ZERO response from Symantec. The problems seems to be connected to Sleep - after the computer resumes from sleep, nothing works. You can't receive e-mail, can't scan, can't use LiveUpdate etc.

By now it is evident that Symantec doesn't care - if they had, this would have been caught in testing - come on, 5 minutes of testing should have revealed this critical issue. Symantec can't be trusted, certainly noit with the security of my computer. I have thus uninstalled NIS from all my computers. Windows 8 has built-in antivirus, there's no need to suffer Symantec's extortion any longer.

Try a Norton-free experience - I have been enjoying it for the past year.

Kudos0

I have same problem with brand newWindows 8 computer and NIS. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times, each time it works once or twice and then won't work again.  So far, Windows 8 seems to be a horrible program, but did Symantec test the product with it at all?

Kudos1

arknu,

<< NIS 2013 just doesn't work (at least with Windows 8). Issues >>

That's too broad a statement -- I have it working with WIndows 8 with no problems and so do plenty of others.

Frankly I'm not surprised at people having problems with anything installed on Windows 8 ...... it happens every time with a new operating system and it's not necessarily the fault of the third party applications. Just think for a moment on how many permutations and combinations there are of hardware and software, let alone individual users, and for me it  would be a miracle if something does not show up as faulty from time to time.

If you are referring to the Action Center saying you are not protected then that is a Windows situation that Microsoft is trying to resolve in cooperation wtih Norton and the other security companies who are also experiencing it.

<< after the computer resumes from sleep, nothing works. >>

I've seen plenty of reports about this that do not relate to Norton ....

Hugh
Kudos0

I don't use the "Sleep" or hibernate  feature in my computer and I still have issues with the new 2013 version in Windows 8.

There must be a connection, not everyone has this scan problem.  Could it be a compatibility problem with something else on our computers?   Why don't we all get together and try and work it out for them.  LOL

I will list as much as I can and lets see if anyone else has similar.

My PC:

Duel core 3.16 Intel

8 GB ram 800mhz

nvidia 560ti card wit the latest drivers. (as of the 4/Jan/13).
Windows 8 pro 64 bit clean install. With all updates.
1x 120GB Intel SSD drive for windows.

1x 2 TB drive for page file, games and photo storage.
Asus Xonar D1 sound card.
Firefox 17 browser.
I use Java, quicktime for movies as well as DivX & VLC player.
Auslogics boostspeed for disk defrag on the 2TB drive.

Does anyone share any of the above?

Worth a try.

I have a second computer with windows 8,  all the same except it has bitdefender and it is working all fine.  So I know it is a unknown issue with NIS 2013.

Kudos0

Hugh,

That may be true - but I have now had 5 Windows 8 installs on vastly different computers with different software - and every single one has had this problem. That indicates a problem with Norton. As uninstalling Norton also fixes the problem, Norton seems to be the source of it.

Windows 8 has been avaible in pre-release form for over a year (and I have been using it all the way). Symantec has had plenty of time to iron out any issues. That fact that they haven't done this is not encouraging. And let's just face it - this isn't the first time Norton has caused issues.

Kudos0

Ahh found this thread, yes I have had to use NRT now 5 times and still the problem exists, cant select full scan or custom scan goes ok after re-install until updates after re install NIS2013. and updates the problem comes right back also telling me its 23 hours out of date in live update, yet after manually running live update, installs updates, but still 23 hours out. Forget the tech chat, frustrating how it goes around in circles after 40 min waiting.
Kudos1

<< That may be true - but I have now had 5 Windows 8 installs on vastly different computers with different software - and every single one has had this problem. That indicates a problem with Norton.  >

Or with WIndows 8 .....

Which is known to be the case with the Action Center problem that is found with other security applications and that Microsoft is working to resolve ....

<<  And let's just face it - this isn't the first time Norton has caused issues.  >>

Or that Windows has caused problems -- only the other day they had to withdraw a critical update because it was faulty .....

I experienced the N 360 V3 situation where everyone was convinced that N 360 was the cause of a context menu crash .... until it was shown to be the result of a combination of a change made by Microsoft that Norton had complied with but that certain third parties had not and the combination of Windows plus Norton plus any of the other applications caused a crash but not if you removed Norton.

When the third party caught up with Microsoft and issued a patch to their program the crashes stopped.

One has to be very careful not to fall into the Post hoc Propter hoc trap .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Nortons & windows 8. I like both, I use both, I would like to have them both get along and play nice.
I dont care if it is Nortons fault or Microsofts fault.

The fact is the fault is a problem for some users and we would like as much help and feedback as possible to solve the issue.
I have used Norton for a very long time. I have 130 days left on this version before renewal. I can only hope the issue is found either by Nortons or Microsoft or by anyone who may find the anwser.

Hugh may I ask why you seem to come across as very Pro Nortons and rubbish Windows 8?
Im sorry if Im wrong but it seems to upset you that anyone reports a Windows 8 issue with
Nortons.

People often get very frustrated at persisted problems that happen with software.  This forum is one of the places one can visit to try and solve the problem either by sharing the information, finding others who have the same problem or by trying to make aware of a problem to Symantec.  Talk, debate but never argue is always best.  :)

Kudos0

I agree with mfree45's last comments.

I am not looking to point blame at MS or Norton. I don't even care which is responsible for the issues we are having. All know is that WIN 8 otherwise runs perfectly fine on my 2 pc's. NIS 2013 does not.

I posted here in hopes of some sort of response by Norton and the eventual resolution of this issue. But so far, nothing.

Kudos2

mfree45 wrote:

Nortons & windows 8. I like both, I use both, I would like to have them both get along and play nice.
I dont care if it is Nortons fault or Microsofts fault.

The fact is the fault is a problem for some users and we would like as much help and feedback as possible to solve the issue.
I have used Norton for a very long time. I have 130 days left on this version before renewal. I can only hope the issue is found either by Nortons or Microsoft or by anyone who may find the anwser.

Hugh may I ask why you seem to come across as very Pro Nortons and rubbish Windows 8?
Im sorry if Im wrong but it seems to upset you that anyone reports a Windows 8 issue with
Nortons.

People often get very frustrated at persisted problems that happen with software.  This forum is one of the places one can visit to try and solve the problem either by sharing the information, finding others who have the same problem or by trying to make aware of a problem to Symantec.  Talk, debate but never argue is always best.  :)

I'm pro Norton since I've used its products since Norton Desktop for Windows back in the days when I was using Windows for Workgroups 3.11 back in teh 1980's. I'm pro Norton since I started helping out in these Forums when they began and saw how they do care about users and within the bounds of necessary confidentiality talk honestly when things go wrong.

I've a long history of user support in forums such as these going back to the beginnings of Compuserve so I have excperienced working with different companies and Norton is one of the best and most open I've come across.

I don't rubbish Windows 8 to my knowledge (and I know some oldtimers elsewhere who do) but as the saying goes "It takes two to tango" so just because something nasty happens when I install a Norton product in Windows it is not necessarily the fault of Norton -- look up Post hoc Propter hoc in Google and you will see what I mean. I gave an example of how misleading this could be with Norton 360 bacvk when V3 came out.

It so happens that a part of my University degree was in logic and so I tend to recognize errors in conclusions drawn from occurances that can have other explanations. I offer the alternatives not because they are right but because they may be right.

So you are wrong when you think I am against Windows 8 (or any version of Windows for that matter) if I point out to people who demand perfection of Norton that Microsoft does not achieve it with Windows either ..... I have Windows 8 on my desktop and if I post that I have not had a certain problem (just as other users do) it does not mean  that those who post problems they encounter are wrong.

What we all post does help Norton much more than anything any one person or group posts.

I completely agree with you that it does not matter, from the user's point of view, whether the problem is due to Microsoft or to Norton but it sure as heck matters to whoever has to solve it and it is totally illogical to blame Norton or to expect Norton to fix a problem if the cause lies in someone else's software. Whereever it is you can be sure that Norton wants to resolve it just as much as users do.

And I agree with your last paragraph completely.

Hugh
Kudos1

houtexguy wrote:

I agree with mfree45's last comments.

I am not looking to point blame at MS or Norton. I don't even care which is responsible for the issues we are having. All know is that WIN 8 otherwise runs perfectly fine on my 2 pc's. NIS 2013 does not.

I posted here in hopes of some sort of response by Norton and the eventual resolution of this issue. But so far, nothing.

My reply to mfree applies to your points which I fully understand as I hope you do mine.

Norton have responded, some while ago, telling us about the situation with Microsoft and that they will tell us more when there is more to tell.

As I have tried to explain, it is out of their hands except to the extent that they, and other security application companies, are working with Microsoft to resolve it but the only people who can change what Windows does is Microsoft.

And there is no point in Norton trying to modify the Norton products until they know what it is with Windows that causes the incorrect information to be given. Otherwise if they do alter something then when Microsoft do whatever they have to do that will break Norton again .......

Hugh
Kudos0

.. again with the its all "Microsofts fault" story?   LOL  LOL

The only Computer I own with NIS 2013 & Windows 8 is the one with the NIS 2013 problem.

Other PCs I own are working fine, one has bit defender for windows 8 and is working fantastic.

If I buy a car and its working fine and one day I buy a set of mud flaps that dont  really fit or work correctly for my new car how is it the cars makers fault and problem?   The people who made the mud flaps need to look at the problem and fit their product to the bigger product not the other way around. 

But of course in this real world story it is all Microsofts fault.   My toaster is not working correctly this morning I think its Microsofts fault.   LOL     ;)      hey I gotta blame some one !  LOL

Kudos1

You mean it isn't all Microsoft's fault? <g>

Actually I have not said it is. What I have said is that it is false logic to assume that because something happens after you add something that it is automatically the fault of the second item.

Look up Post Hoc Propter Hoc ....

And read what happened here when Norton 360 V3 was released and contect menu access crashed applications like Windows Explorer ... and stopped when you removed N360 ......

The trigger (not the fault of) was an inconsistency between the level of updating of a third-party application after Microsoft delayed implementing a new protocol they distributed but Norton adopted it. As soon as the third party updated their application the fault disappeared.

Life is more complicated than mud flaps .....

Hugh
Kudos0

Life needs to be simple like mudflaps...   We would not need support forums  LOL

Kudos0

Is there anyone running windows 8 and norton 2013 without this issue?  I have 6 computers all very different, different makes, different ages, some 32 bit, some 64 bit and every one of them has this issue with Norton 2013 and Windows 8.

I have used Norton since 2001 and not had these problems before.  It is obviously a compatibility issue between windows 8 and Norton 2013 but I can't see anywhere that Norton are looking into the issue or even any sign of any fixes.

Kudos0

AVockins wrote:

Is there anyone running windows 8 and norton 2013 without this issue?  I have 6 computers all very different, different makes, different ages, some 32 bit, some 64 bit and every one of them has this issue with Norton 2013 and Windows 8.

I have used Norton since 2001 and not had these problems before.  It is obviously a compatibility issue between windows 8 and Norton 2013 but I can't see anywhere that Norton are looking into the issue or even any sign of any fixes.

have you tryed too downgrade too 2011 or 2012  and see if that fixed any thing  ?

Kudos0

AVockins wrote:

I'm running Win 8 (upgrade from Vista) & although I can run scans & I don't receive the notification that I don't have av/protection on the computer I do have other problems - mainly with the Online vault. I've had the time out error, the wrong password error (even though I can log in fine on the win 7 machine) & yesterday I found that if I added an entry to the online vault using either win 7 or win 8 the other machine didn't pick up the change, managed to fix these but for how long.

Virginia/Doctor9fan.Windows 8.1 64bit, Kindle Fire HD, iPhone 5s.
Kudos0

Another example of interoperability problems can be found in this thread.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Win-XP-BSOD-from-SYMEFA-SYS/m-p/841518/highlight/true#M222951

Users were blaming Norton for this problem, when in fact it was determined that it was an updated Nero Burning file for BluRay that was the cause of the problem. See sanshultz's (Norton Employee) response in that thread.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Win-XP-BSOD-from-SYMEFA-SYS/m-p/841518/highlight/true#M222951

As everyone here is having the problems listed in this thread, then if everyone could list absolutely every file and driver on their system, we might be able to find the culprit. This goes back to Hugh's point about the infinite number of combinations of hardware and software that has to all work together. I am amazed anything works.

How many people have Win 8 and Norton 2013 that are not having any problems.

I have been on both sides of this kind of problem. I have had a problem that no one else has, and I have not had problems that many do.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Peter,

Just to round off --

<< How many people have Win 8 and Norton 2013 that are not having any problems. >>

Me too! I don't use it very often but I have not had the Action Center problem.

Hugh
Kudos0

Hello all,

Did anyone get a chance to gather log files as mentioned here? if you have gathered it, please let me know.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Kudos0

Had to remove NIS 2013 from brand new Windows 8 computer. I just had Dell walk me through reactivating Windows Defender.  Better than nothing I suppose, and the inability to scan was the equivalent of nothing. Now I would like a refund, or at least an extension of my NIS license for as long as it takes Symantec to figure this out.

Kudos0

tjilaw wrote:

Had to remove NIS 2013 from brand new Windows 8 computer. I just had Dell walk me through reactivating Windows Defender.  Better than nothing I suppose, and the inability to scan was the equivalent of nothing. Now I would like a refund, or at least an extension of my NIS license for as long as it takes Symantec to figure this out.

For refunds or extensions you would have to contact Support. The best way is via online chat at  www.norton.com/chat

Kudos2

I think this problem is related to Windows 8's fast startup feature. I was also having this issue with my 2 pcs, then tried this solution on one of them, and the problem is gone.

Windows 8 comes with fast startup enabled by default. This may be a good feature but your computer actually doesn't turn off completely, so it restarts a bit faster, like restarting from hibernate in Windows 7. Fast startup doesn't effect restarts, so Norton works normally after a restart, but not after a non-complete shutdown.

To turn off fast startup;

-Go to Control Panel, Power Options

-Select "Choose what the power buttons do" from left side.

-Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable".

-You'll see "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" at the bottom with a tick in it. Disable it, and try Norton for couple days to see if the problem still exists.

On my other pc, I had to go back to NIS 2012, and there is no problem with fast startup, but the 2013 version seems to have problems with this feature.

Kudos0

Restarting solves the problem - when I can get Windows to restart. It hung when trying it today.

An option to do a full shut down on the power menu would be helpful, but that's probably far to complicated.

Regards

Bushy

Kudos0

I no longer have the problem with system center not correctly reporting that Norton is active.  I did have the problem for many months.  I tried the various solutions on the Norton board--some of them worked but only for a short time,often until the next restart.  As a result of another error on my Windows machine, I used the system reset option in Windows 8.  This reset Windows 8 maintaining my 'metro' applications and settings but removing all desktop applications and settings.  I then reinstalled Norton and was surprised to find that it works perfectly.  This may not be a great option for many but it's worth a try as long as you have desktop application disks/setup files.

Kudos0

I'm running into the same issue with scans not working properly. Sometimes, if I try to do an Insight Scan of a single file, it works, but states that it scanned 14 files.  This is obviously incorrect.

Usually what happens after a few days is that it stop scanning. Norton prevents me from opening MS Office files and downloading and running any executables, because the scan doesn't start properly.  If I use the Insight Scan on any file, Norton hangs at Initializing Scan.  Rebooting usually fixes the problem, but I have to do a hard stop, and a dirty boot - I suspect Norton is preventing the reboot.

I have recently had the Action Center errors, but that only started this past week, and for now has cleared up.

I've run the Microsoft Sysinternals tool Procmon, but I don't see anything that is really different when I have the problem, and when I don't.

I do have a case open with support, which is more frustrating than the actual problem. It took working with Level 1 on three different occasions to get them past the idea it was a virus or bad install.  I've already uninstalled and re-installed using the Norton Uninstall Tool. Support keeps asking me to download the Logmein client so they can access my machine remotely, and unfortunately, the support people are not technical enough to understand that I cannot download and run an executable when Norton is having this problem. If I uninstall Norton, and then download and run the logmein client, the problem will be gone for a few days.  Finally, I find it absolutely unacceptable that their support wants to remote in a start changing computer settings in order to figure out the problem - after I keep telling them I cannot download and run their Logmein Client. I have no idea what settings they want to check, because the won't tell me - just that the want to access my system. My constant response to them is:

1. I've been in IT for over 15 years, if they need to check something, they can tell me what to check, and I will do so.

2. You don't solve problems in IT by making a bunch of random changes to the system and hope for the best. You look at the application and OS logs to find the problem, and make informed changes based on those logs.

So far, support has been unable to tell me where Symantec keeps the logs.

I intend to keep working with support to resolve this issue, as frustrating as it may be. I would like to resolve this in the next couple of weeks though, or at least identify the problem so a fix can be developed. If I have to, I will switch to one of the free A/V products. There are several that have very good results against known viruses in the wild, and since malware writers test their new malware against A/V software to make sure the malware isn't detected, I'm not that worried about loosing any heuristic protection.

Kudos0

connellyt wrote:

I'm running into the same issue with scans not working properly. Sometimes, if I try to do an Insight Scan of a single file, it works, but states that it scanned 14 files.  This is obviously incorrect.

Usually what happens after a few days is that it stop scanning. Norton prevents me from opening MS Office files and downloading and running any executables, because the scan doesn't start properly.  If I use the Insight Scan on any file, Norton hangs at Initializing Scan.  Rebooting usually fixes the problem, but I have to do a hard stop, and a dirty boot - I suspect Norton is preventing the reboot.

I have recently had the Action Center errors, but that only started this past week, and for now has cleared up.

I've run the Microsoft Sysinternals tool Procmon, but I don't see anything that is really different when I have the problem, and when I don't.

I do have a case open with support, which is more frustrating than the actual problem. It took working with Level 1 on three different occasions to get them past the idea it was a virus or bad install.  I've already uninstalled and re-installed using the Norton Uninstall Tool. Support keeps asking me to download the Logmein client so they can access my machine remotely, and unfortunately, the support people are not technical enough to understand that I cannot download and run an executable when Norton is having this problem. If I uninstall Norton, and then download and run the logmein client, the problem will be gone for a few days.  Finally, I find it absolutely unacceptable that their support wants to remote in a start changing computer settings in order to figure out the problem - after I keep telling them I cannot download and run their Logmein Client. I have no idea what settings they want to check, because the won't tell me - just that the want to access my system. My constant response to them is:

1. I've been in IT for over 15 years, if they need to check something, they can tell me what to check, and I will do so.

2. You don't solve problems in IT by making a bunch of random changes to the system and hope for the best. You look at the application and OS logs to find the problem, and make informed changes based on those logs.

So far, support has been unable to tell me where Symantec keeps the logs.

I intend to keep working with support to resolve this issue, as frustrating as it may be. I would like to resolve this in the next couple of weeks though, or at least identify the problem so a fix can be developed. If I have to, I will switch to one of the free A/V products. There are several that have very good results against known viruses in the wild, and since malware writers test their new malware against A/V software to make sure the malware isn't detected, I'm not that worried about loosing any heuristic protection.

Hi

Uninstall the Display adapter from device manager and then restart the computer, go to device manager and scan for hardware changes. Allow the display adapter to install. Restart the computer and then check the scan.

-Shri
Kudos0

I installed NIS on my first computer (Windows 8 laptop) and it worked fine. Later I installed it on my second computer and for the first day it was fine. When I turned on my computer the next day it said my computer was at risk so I click on fix now. It said it was fixing Auto-Protect, SONAR Protection, Antispyware and Email Protection. When it finished it didnt fix it and it said Fix not complete, because of this (I think) it wont let me scan properly. When I try to scan (Quick scan) it just says Problem detected and that my product is inactive and it says Error during scan. Can some please help me with this problem. Thanks.

Kudos0

connellyt wrote:

This scan result can be correct. Some files are a container for multiple versions of a document as one example. So what looks like one file would be scanned as if it were a folder with multiple files.

p

Kudos0

I'm not sure that it is the case with the files I'm scanning that they are containers for multiple files. There is no "Previous Versions" tab. Also, it's the same two files I'm scanning each time. One is a MS Word document that has nothing in it. The second is an Excel spreadsheet with minimal text.  

On the Word document, sometimes it scans as 1 file, sometimes as 13. On the Excel, sometimes it scans as 14 files, sometimes as 1. It's seems to alternate between those two numbers for each file.

Kudos0

connellyt wrote:

I'm not sure that it is the case with the files I'm scanning that they are containers for multiple files. There is no "Previous Versions" tab. Also, it's the same two files I'm scanning each time. One is a MS Word document that has nothing in it. The second is an Excel spreadsheet with minimal text.  

On the Word document, sometimes it scans as 1 file, sometimes as 13. On the Excel, sometimes it scans as 14 files, sometimes as 1. It's seems to alternate between those two numbers for each file.

I'm trying to find previous posts on this. It is correct but I cannot remember how to show you. I'll post back if I can find it.

It is nothing to worry about.

Edit  Found the post I was looking for.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Microsoft-Word-Document-Scan-and-Malwarebytes/m-p/733340/highlight/true#M205302

Kudos0

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

peterweb wrote:

I'm trying to find previous posts on this. It is correct but I cannot remember how to show you. I'll post back if I can find it.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Microsoft-Word-Document-Scan-and-Malw...

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'm glad that's normal, and I didn't know about the .docx files being combinations of files.

Hopefully the problem with the scans not initializing will be resolved soon as well.

Tom

Kudos0

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Shri wrote:

Hi

Uninstall the Display adapter from device manager and then restart the computer, go to device manager and scan for hardware changes. Allow the display adapter to install. Restart the computer and then check the scan.

-Shri

________________________________________________________________________________________________

I have completed the steps you have suggested, and I will let you know if I experience the issue again.  It usually occurs every few days.

Thank you for the help.

Tom

Kudos0

connellyt wrote:

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

peterweb wrote:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Microsoft-Word-Document-Scan-and-Malw...

Thanks for the link to the thread. I'm glad that's normal, and I didn't know about the .docx files being combinations of files.

Hopefully the problem with the scans not initializing will be resolved soon as well.

Tom

As you are in IT, can I assume you have run a chkdsk /r to check for bad sectors? Scan issues have been caused by HD issues.

Replies are locked for this thread.