• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NIS 2013 - Installed and wont start....does nothing at all!

Just installed NIS 2013 for the umpteenth time and it wont start up.  Loads ok, downloads the updates, says its initialising and then says 'Installed' reboot your computer to start up.  Upon doing so, it never does start...even when I click the icon or use the norton tab from program files...nothing.  I have uninstalled using the removal tool, but that did a very bad job of removing everything, so I did it myself including removing the entries from the registry. My previous version, NIS 2012 was fine, but this thing is useless!  It also knocks out communication with the internet as well.  Cant see why that happens - no browser can work, no response to pings either.  I usually have to restore back with a system restore before I start all over again.

Im using Windows Vista home premium, SP2 32 bit.

Can anyone help me?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013 - Installed and wont start....does nothing at all!

Just installed NIS 2013 for the umpteenth time and it wont start up.  Loads ok, downloads the updates, says its initialising and then says 'Installed' reboot your computer to start up.  Upon doing so, it never does start...even when I click the icon or use the norton tab from program files...nothing.  I have uninstalled using the removal tool, but that did a very bad job of removing everything, so I did it myself including removing the entries from the registry. My previous version, NIS 2012 was fine, but this thing is useless!  It also knocks out communication with the internet as well.  Cant see why that happens - no browser can work, no response to pings either.  I usually have to restore back with a system restore before I start all over again.

Im using Windows Vista home premium, SP2 32 bit.

Can anyone help me?

Kudos1

Hi HeadScratcher,

Let's see if we can get you back on NIS 2012 and then you can deicde what to do from there - wither stay on NIS 2012 or when you are ready - try NIS 2013 again after some of the current situtions with NIS 2013 are ironed out.

You can go back to NIS 2012 by following these instructions. Then when you think 2013 has been updated enough for you, you can allow the upgrade.

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here www.norton.com/nrt

Download the NIS 2012 from www.norton.com/nis12

If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data. Do this in CSV format

Uninstall your Norton product via Windows control panel.

Reboot.

Run the Norton Removal Tool.

Reboot.

Run the NIS 2012 download..

Run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until LiveUpdate responds "no updates found".

If you use Identity Safe, try to log in. If it works you are done. If it does not, import your Identity Safe data.

Be sure to go into Settings - Computer - Updates and turn off the option for Automatic Download of new version.

Please keep us posted.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Hi Yank,

Thanks for your reply and guidance...which I followed, but to no avail!  Same problemo.  I tried other various suggested remedies but I just couldnt get it to work and my internet browser and home network connections were well and truly struffed!

I decided that I had only one last remedy....re-install the OS and take it from there.  After many hours of backing up and then reloading the OS, I installed a copy of NIS 2012 on my blank machine and it worked first time.  I have spent the rest of my time downloading three years of Vista updates and reloading packages, to be followed by reloading the data tonight!

Oh well...first time I have had problems with NIS for many a year, I guess it had to come sooner or later.

Many thanks for your efforts to help me - it was most appreciated.

Cheers!

Kudos0

Hi HeadScratcher,

You are welcome for the help and thanks for coming back with the solution.  I have taken the liberty to mark your last post as the solution so that it might help others.

Sorry to hear you had to revert to reinstalling OS, but glad to hear you got everything back to working properly.

Just a reminder: Be sure to go into Settings - Computer - Updates and turn off the option for Automatic Download of new version.   

Replies are locked for this thread.