• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos1

NIS 2013 Error 8506,421

I yesterday got the error 8506,421; Norton Internet Security was not getting opened then. I restarted the system and it was fine. Today I again got the same error and I restarted the system. Norton Internet Security is fine now. What should I do, not to get this error again?

Replies

Kudos1

Re: NIS 2013 Error 8506,421

I got the same error last night on NIS 2013 with my new Dell WIndows 7 Ultimate laptop.  I see a lot of complaints on the web regarding this error.  I was on contact ignore with support and downloading the NIS removal tool when it mysteriously cleared up. I was just about to renew my subscription and have reconsidered as a result.  Symantec seems to not be able to fix this issue and I won't use the product going forward if it can't be resolved, with something other than a reload. I have been using NIS 2012 on all 5 of my computers with no issues and downloaded 2013 from my Norton account for the new laptop.  It's been running for 2 weeks and already hosing up.  Are you Symantec folks reading this?

Kudos0

The Norton suggested fix is detailed here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=v80281719_EndUserProfile_en_us&lg=english&ct=united+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home

Please note this NRnR tool is different from the Norton Removal Tool, in that it wil uninstall and reinstall your product automatically.

Kudos1

I'm reading forums with people who've done reloads 4+ times with no resolution.  I have trouble going forward with a product that needs constant reloads to work normally.  Where is the error coming from?  I have NIS 2012 on a Windows 7 computer with no issues.

Kudos0

Hi db3058,

The error is grouped under a general heading of "Product encountering Conflict or file corruption".

Other suggested fixes I have seen incude:

Kudos1

With all due respect , instead of suggesting complicated fix it remedies (none of which work by the way, I've tried them all and don't use any other security software ) - ) How about giving us an update as to what Symantec's position is on this and what they  are trying to do to fix these serious issue which is affecting more and more people ?

Kudos0

In addition to occasionally losing the NIS icon in the task bar, I have now also received this same error (just once) and it cleared with a reboot. I am REALLY getting tired of all the problems I'm seeing with NIS 2013 (20.2.0.19).. twice losing the icon in the task bar and now this error.. grrr. I had no problems at all with NIS 2012. I've been using NIS for years and years and have always liked it, but this is becoming frustrating. I really dont want to have to run the NRnR, I've seen others being told to run it like four times, so it doesn't seem like that's the fix, so if it happens again I think I'll just reboot again to clear the dumb thing pending Norton getting a fix for this problem.

Kudos0

Hi betabloke,

I am suggesting what I have seen work in the past within this basic category of error "Product encountering Conflict or file corruption".  - no partilcular one has fixed the error all the time. 

I am a customer of Norton's,  the same as you are and volunteer my time in order to help other customers.  I have no magical connection to Norton to know what their position is.   

Kudos0

I paid Norton $99.99 to clear up my computer when I started getting this message and my IE stopped functioning.  Eight days later I am getting that same error message again but fortunately IE is working.  I have tried restarting the computer and it works for a few days and I get that error message again.  I have also used the removal tool to remove and reinstall the program but the same problem develops.  The problem seems to be with Norton.  I have the 2012 version and am losing patience with this.  What is going on Norton?  How about some type of reply to this message board.

Kudos0

Hi Zriffic,

What do the folks you paid the $99.99 to say about your problem recurring?

Kudos0

They recommended the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool.  It didn't work.  Last night I used the tool that removes and then automatically reinstalls the program.  Part of the reinstallation involved installing a patch.  This didn't happen before.  I hope it has something to do with the error problem.

Kudos0

Zriffic wrote:

They recommended the Norton Removal and Reinstall tool.  It didn't work.  Last night I used the tool that removes and then automatically reinstalls the program.  Part of the reinstallation involved installing a patch.  This didn't happen before.  I hope it has something to do with the error problem.

Hi Zriffic,

That tool is the NRnRT that tech support ran.

The Patch was for the Norton Toolbar add-on for Firefox 17.  You'll have to see if it cleared up the error or not - it could be involved in that the first attempted downlaod of the patch could have become corrupted and threw the error.

Let us know if it stays cleared up.

Kudos0

Hi 

Please open command prompt in the elevated mode and type fltmc and then hit enter, let us know what is the output you're getting.

command prompt in the elevated mode- Start->Program/All Programs->Accessories->Right click on command prompt and then select Run as Administrator.

Also please check your computer for Rapport software, if you've it installed then remove it.

-Shri
Kudos0

Here's what I get:

Filter Name                     Num Instances    Altitude    Frame
------------------------------  -------------              ------------  -----
BHDrvx64                          4                          365100         0
eeCtrl                                 4                          329010         0
SRTSP                               5                          329000         0
SymEFA                              5                         260600         0
luafv                                    1                         135000         0
FileInfo                                5                          45000         0

Kudos0

You need to contact customer support and have them remove ALL Norton components on your computer and them reinstall 2012 and 2013 or you will continue to get the same error.  I was in the same situation and now Identity Safe is not working properly.

Kudos0

Hi

Thank you for the information, Do you've Intel HD Graphics Driver installed?

Open Run(press Windows key + r)->type devmgmt.msc->click view->show Hidden Devices->Select Non-Plug and Play Drivers

-> please post a screenshot of the Non-plug and play drivers section.

-Shri
Kudos0

I don't appear to have the Intel HD Graphics Driver installed. Where do I look for that? Also, I don't appear to have any Rapport software installed. A reminder that this error has only occurred one time so far for me. Here are the screen shots for the Non-plug and play drivers section (there are so many I needed two captures):

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Windows systems often get confused with the infinite number of combinations of drivers and hardware.

If you get an error only once, and it does not re occur after a reboot, I would not be worried.

If it comes back, then you need to dig deeper.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Zriffic : -

You'll have to forgive me as I can see how you interpreted my remark as directed to you but that was NOT my intention -

I was typing hoping that someone from Norton/Symantec/Wherever , would read this thread and say something official - i wasn't referring to the end users like you who give their time to try and help people. it's just unfortunate that my post is below yours and it looks like that.

For what it's worth - I was plagued by this problem in Windows 8 until I iturned off User Account Control and now it seems to have stopped.

Kudos0

If it happens to me again I'm loading another virus software.  All the input from this thread is useful and something may actually work but I'm not interested in troubleshooting Norton software and trying to find the golden goose that cures it.  That is Symantec's job. I've been running NIS for 10 years, but I'm done if they can't fix a known issue that affects so many users.

Kudos0

Hi

Thank you for the screenshot. Follow Steps here->Delete the Norton folder under Program Data->Turn OFF UAC --> Set Boot Time Protection to Normal -->Run LU --> Restart-->Turn ON UAC. Let us know how it goes.

-Shri
Kudos0

Zriffic wrote:

I paid Norton $99.99 to clear up my computer when I started getting this message and my IE stopped functioning.  Eight days later I am getting that same error message again but fortunately IE is working.  I have tried restarting the computer and it works for a few days and I get that error message again.  I have also used the removal tool to remove and reinstall the program but the same problem develops.  The problem seems to be with Norton.  I have the 2012 version and am losing patience with this.  What is going on Norton?  How about some type of reply to this message board.

Please tell me you did not seriously pay $99 for help? Always ask on here as many people are extremely helpful and can solve the majority of problems. Some times they are out of users control and Symantec will have to fix things with in their program.

Kudos0

My last message was attemtpted to be for YANK not ZRIFFIC but this useless forum doesn't even allow you to edit your own posts once you leave the page . so I'll waste even more space on it attempting to get the message across, despite having originally clicked the "reply to this post" icon under YANK'S message -

:-

YANK

You'll have to forgive me as I can see how you interpreted my remark as directed to you but that was NOT my intention -

I was typing hoping that someone from Norton/Symantec/Wherever , would read this thread and say something official - i wasn't referring to the end users like you who give their time to try and help people. it's just unfortunate that my post is below yours and it looks like that.

For what it's worth - I was plagued by this problem in Windows 8 until I turned off User Account Control and now it seems to have stopped completely.

In understand how that isn't a solution for anyone who wants user account control turned on though.

Kudos0

ramshrii wrote:

Hi

Thank you for the screenshot. Follow Steps here->Delete the Norton folder under Program Data->Turn OFF UAC --> Set Boot Time Protection to Normal -->Run LU --> Restart-->Turn ON UAC. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks, Shri, but as I said earlier, it's only happened just the once so far, so I'm not about to start dicking around with my system just yet.. I'll wait and see if it happens again, but a reboot is certainly a quicker temp fix.. I'm really hoping Symantec is working on this problem and will release an update to fix it.

Kudos0

Hi betabloke,

No problem - no offense taken. I knew you were referring to my post and just tried to explain why I answered that way.  The volunteer comment was to let you know that you were communicating with another customer and not a Norton employee.

FWIW,  there are Norton employees (admins and mods included) who frequent these forums on a regular basis, not only to "police", but also to alert the teams at Norton of situations they see repeatedly.  I'm sure you have seen where someone posts that something is wrong and the reply is that it is a known situation and Norton is already working it.  Sometimes that initial report starts with another post that was flagged by an admin/mod.  There are not many posts (if any) posted that are not read by the admins or mods.

Kudos0

betabloke wrote:

My last message was attemtpted to be for YANK not ZRIFFIC but this useless forum doesn't even allow you to edit your own posts once you leave the page . so I'll waste even more space on it attempting to get the message across, despite having originally clicked the "reply to this post" icon under YANK'S message -

To edit  one of your posts, you need to click on the 'Options' link at the top right of your original post. Then click on 'Edit  Reply'. This is only available for about 1 hour after your original post. This is so the context of your post will not be changed after replys have been posted. When that happens, the thread can make no sense.

If you want to make sure your post is directed to the right individual, you can include their name at the beginning of your post or you can click on 'Quote' above the menu bar for the reply.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I have been using norton for a couple years I've now got the new one for 2013 and its completely destroyed my laptop and I can't do anything with it at all. Pretty bad that I've paid for a product to protect my computer and this error has come up but norton can't even fix it. A foot through my laptop would have been a cheaper way to break it. I can safely say I won't be using norton ever again!!
Kudos0

I am not sure what you are referring to Betabloke and am not offended by anything you've posted on this thread.  I have had no problems for 2 days so far since using the removal tool that automatically revoves and installs NIS at the same time.  I hope I didn't just jinx myself.

I just spotted your self correction. 

Kudos0

I had trouble opening NIS 2013 this afternoon and that did it for me.  I removed 2013 and loaded NIS 2012 from disk.  I have 72 days left on NIS 2012 and if I get any burps, I'll replace Norton with Kapersky going forward. Again I loaded it as the first program on a new computer 2 weeks ago with my remaining 5th license. I think 2013 is a flaky product and the lack of a positive response from the mother ship scares me away.  I don't want to re-up and get stuck for another year unless the issue is specifically addressed and user experience confirms that it's gone.

Hey Norton....Ralph is upset.

Kudos0

Five days since using NRnRT and I have had no error messages.  Hopefully this is it.

Replies are locked for this thread.