• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

NIS 2013, Disk or Download Install?

My subscription(nis2011) expires Dec 16, and I bought NIS 2013 online(a lot cheaper than the autorenew price), before getting back to the forum and researching. I'm appalled at what I'm reading. I've been using Norton products for something like 20 years, and there have been a few problems along the way, but I don't remember anything like this. I don't like loading and reloading, and trying to straighten out my computers. ( my memory isn't quite what it once was) It's NOT fun any longer.

Since I've already purchased 2013, I'm going to give it a try. I'm thinking I read somewhere that installing the download would avoid some of the updating process. Is that correct? IF so, how does one go downloading to a folder, and then installing from the folder to the other computers(3).?

I'm on a 5 gig limited connection and need to conserve as much as possible. I still think Norton is the best,,just hope I still think that AFTER I install 2013   :)   Thanks for  any, and all help.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NIS 2013, Disk or Download Install?

My subscription(nis2011) expires Dec 16, and I bought NIS 2013 online(a lot cheaper than the autorenew price), before getting back to the forum and researching. I'm appalled at what I'm reading. I've been using Norton products for something like 20 years, and there have been a few problems along the way, but I don't remember anything like this. I don't like loading and reloading, and trying to straighten out my computers. ( my memory isn't quite what it once was) It's NOT fun any longer.

Since I've already purchased 2013, I'm going to give it a try. I'm thinking I read somewhere that installing the download would avoid some of the updating process. Is that correct? IF so, how does one go downloading to a folder, and then installing from the folder to the other computers(3).?

I'm on a 5 gig limited connection and need to conserve as much as possible. I still think Norton is the best,,just hope I still think that AFTER I install 2013   :)   Thanks for  any, and all help.

Kudos0

Hi,

Please make a backup of your ID safe first (if you use it).

You can download the installer from http://www.norton.com/nis20 and transfer that to a USB flash drive to install on your other computers.

Remember to run Live Update, restarting where required, until no more updates are available.

Cheers,

Dave

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 x2 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32 *** Norton Security with Backup v22.0.2.17
Kudos0

GDW

First thing -- you don't ahve to install NIS 2013/V20 to take adavantage of the lower price if you purchase.

In principle you can use the key to activate your existing installation which you indicate is NIS 2011 = V18 -- can you check and confirm this by looking under HELP or SUPPORT and About .... where you should find the Version ID in the format nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

I just said "in princlple" because there is a temporary glitch and the 2013 keys won't activate 2012 (and I presume earlier ones as well) but Norton OnLine Customer Support will gladly issue you with a compatible one if you contact them. We can give you the link for that when we know more about where you actually are with your NIS .....

If you do have NIS 2011 V18 I'd suggest either sticking with it or updating to NIS 2012 for which we can give you a link to a single installation file that will uninstall what you have and install an uptodate NIS 2012 / V19 but will not force the NIS 2013 V20 on you.

Don't use the Update Center or Automatic Download of New Version if you see either of those as links or you will get 2013 ...

So if you let us know if you do actually still have 2011 or if it was updated to 2012 already we can give you the additional information

Please tell us if you use the Identity Safe faciltiy and what version of Windows you are using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit ....

Hugh
Kudos0

gdw1945tx

If you want to stay with your current program and wait before upgrading to 2013, you can just enter the product key you purchased for the new product into your existing program.

Wait until the 14th or 15th of December, or you will lose your remaining time, then click on Renew from the main NIS User Interface. Then click 'I have a key or code'.

If the key is not accepted, this is a know issue,  you can contact Norton Support and they will issue you a key that will work with your existing product. The recommended way to contact them is via online chat. You will find them at    www.norton.com/chat

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Hi Hugh and Peter,

Nice to know that even the Guru's are not recommending to upgrade to NISv20. 

Cheers,

Dave

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 x2 *** Norton 360 v21.6.0.32 *** Norton Security with Backup v22.0.2.17
Kudos0

Wow !    Thanks for the replies. I'd forgotten how helpful this forum is. Been a while since I lurked here regularly.

I have four older systems. One is on w7 and is primarily a "game" computer which doesn't go online very often. I have MSSE running in it. A netbook with xp home, and two desktops with xp pro sp3, which are my "main" computers.

The netbook, and two desktops are on NIS 18.7.2.3 which expires 12/16/12. 

I didn't know I could use the new key to extend my current 2011 version. That would be the best solution for me I think.

Thanks,  Gary

Kudos0

Forgot to mention, all my xp machines are 32 bit. I don't use the ID vaults.

I'll probly leave the flight simulator W7-64 as is. Is there any advantagte to updating to2012(19) ?

Thanks again.                 

I  HATE  CAPTCHAS 

Kudos0

The CAPTCHA will disappear after a few posts.  It's there to prove you're not a robot.

NIS12 is lighter on system resources and has newer security features.

Kudos0

gdw1945tx wrote:

Forgot to mention, all my xp machines are 32 bit. I don't use the ID vaults.

I'll probly leave the flight simulator W7-64 as is. Is there any advantagte to updating to2012(19) ?

Thanks again.                 

I  HATE  CAPTCHAS 

CAPTCHAS will dissappeat after a few more posts.

I can not remember the exact changes, but there will be some additional program features that can enhance your computer's security.

If you want to try the 2012 version, you can download it from here   www.norton.com/nis12

Kudos0

gdw,

<<  The netbook, and two desktops are on NIS 18.7.2.3 which expires 12/16/12. I didn't know I could use the new key to extend my current 2011 version.   >>

I forgot the moste important part about using a new KEY -- it wipes out any unexpired time on the installation it is used on so only use it near the end -- say a couple of days -- before the end of the subscription.  It is reported that Customer Support are very good at adding lost time back in but it's a concession and so best not to ask for it if you can avoid it by waiting.

The clock does not start on the unused KEY until you activate with it the first time.

Remember also that all further activations run out on the anniversary of the first activation.

You say you have 4 older systems but we are talking about a 3 PC KEY so how are you covered on the 4th?

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks a million, I think I'll do the 2012 update. I reeeally appreciate the help.   Gary

Kudos0

Krusty13 wrote:

Hi Hugh and Peter,

Cheers,

Dave

For me it's not so much a recommendation to delay but a making aware of why one might want to (although that did not come up here) and how to do it.

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks Hugh. The other computer I use for flight sim, and very rarely go online with it. I just use microsoft security essentials.

So far so good.

huwyngr wrote:

gdw,

<<  The netbook, and two desktops are on NIS 18.7.2.3 which expires 12/16/12. I didn't know I could use the new key to extend my current 2011 version.   >>

I forgot the moste important part about using a new KEY -- it wipes out any unexpired time on the installation it is used on so only use it near the end -- say a couple of days -- before the end of the subscription.  It is reported that Customer Support are very good at adding lost time back in but it's a concession and so best not to ask for it if you can avoid it by waiting.

The clock does not start on the unused KEY until you activate with it the first time.

Remember also that all further activations run out on the anniversary of the first activation.

You say you have 4 older systems but we are talking about a 3 PC KEY so how are you covered on the 4th?

Kudos0

Gary --

When you have have the 2012 installed you may want to go into Settings / Computer / Updates and turn OFF Automatic Download of New Version -- it does not automatically install a next generation when it becomes available (2013 in your case) but it downloads the files in idle time and if you are not going to use them you might as well not download them and then if you upgrade later you can get the latest.

This does not affect the updating of definitions and engine updates for 2012 .....

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Gary --

When you have have the 2012 installed you may want to go into Settings / Computer / Updates and turn OFF Automatic Download of New Version -- it does not automatically install a next generation when it becomes available (2013 in your case) but it downloads the files in idle time and if you are not going to use them you might as well not download them and then if you upgrade later you can get the latest.

This does not affect the updating of definitions and engine updates for 2012 .....

Ya, I had read that, but I need all the reminders I can get.  :)     Thanks

Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Krusty13 wrote:

Hi Hugh and Peter,

Cheers,

Dave

For me it's not so much a recommendation to delay but a making aware of why one might want to (although that did not come up here) and how to do it.

I never said you recommended not upgrading.  I said you never recommended to upgrade.

Kudos0

Krusty13 wrote:

huwyngr wrote:

Krusty13 wrote:

Hi Hugh and Peter,

Cheers,

Dave

I never said you recommended not upgrading.  I said you never recommended to upgrade.

I'm with Hugh, in that I am not discouraging the upgrade, but pointing out that there are still teething pains and suggest that the users may want to delay the upgrade.

I have personally done the upgrade, and so far have not been stung by the issues listed here. (Now I've done it   )

Kudos0

I decided to stay with NIS 2011 for now. I haven't had any major problems with it, and this is the simplist solution. I used my cheap 2013 Box prod key to renew. Thanks for the tip on that. Didn't know I could do that. I appreciate the help on this forun, many thanks to all. 

Kudos0

gdw1945tx wrote:

I decided to stay with NIS 2011 for now. I haven't had any major problems with it, and this is the simplist solution. I used my cheap 2013 Box prod key to renew. Thanks for the tip on that. Didn't know I could do that. I appreciate the help on this forun, many thanks to all. 

If you decide you want to go to the next version -- 2012 / V19 -- let us know since we can give you a link to the free upgrade file that will take you to that level but not to 2013 / V20 which you would get if you used the Update Center or New Version query.

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks Hugh, I may do that later. I'm about to hit my 5GB limit on my connection for this month. :(       .......Gary

Kudos0

gdw1945tx wrote:

Thanks Hugh, I may do that later. I'm about to hit my 5GB limit on my connection for this month. :(       .......Gary

Or if you have a friend with a better connection you can download the file and put it on a thumbdrive or CD ....

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.