• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Cannot uninstall Norton security suite & Firefox will not work

I had to restore my computer to a previous day & now Norton doesn't work nor Firefox.  IE does but I never use it just firefox. The Norton was put on in Jan 2012 & it is the one from Comcast.net. It doesn't do anything except say C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Security Suite\Engine\5.2.2.3\uistub.exe   Unspecified error. I use win7 on a laptop & always use Firefox.  What do I do?  Thank you.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cannot uninstall Norton security suite & Firefox will not work

Hi cattyy,

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Norton since the System Restore?

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
Kudos0

When I try to uninstall from programs or from the link on Norton on my desktop, it does nothing..

Kudos0

Why does this say solved? It is NOT solved.

Kudos0

cattyy,

This thread has been marked as Solved, has your problem been corrected or was that an accident?

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
Kudos1

Alright, you probably clicked the "Accept as Solution" by accident. Otherwise there might have been a glitch. The forums seem to be acting up on me some today.

Kudos0

cattyy wrote:

Why does this say solved? It is NOT solved.

The 'Mark as Solution' button is close to the reply and kudos buttons, so you may have hit that by mistake while viewing the pages.

I have Unmarked the solution for you.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool to completely remove Norton then restart the computer. If this works, then redownload and install Norton from your Comcast account.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=en&ct=us

Kudos1

[Deleted]

Kudos0

Ok thank you much..

Kudos1

To add to SecurePC's comments

Be sure you choose the version of the NRT for the Norton product purchased from your service provider.

Also, I have seen posts by Yank, that you should decline the option to install Constant Guard before downloading the NSS.

Kudos1

Yes, Comcast will try to install other software along with Norton so be sure you to just get what you want to install.

Kudos0

Have tried that several times.  I get a window saying IE cannot display the webpage.

Kudos0

cattyy wrote:

Ok thank you much..

I have to ask...Could you be hitting the Solution button by mistake? There is now a 3rd solution given for this thread, and as a Guru I am able to change this when it is an obvious error.

Now I see my post is marked. I just want to know if I need to notify the moderators in case there is a problem with the forum software.

I will again unmark the solution, as I did nothing.

Kudos0

No I hit reply then type in the box then hit post. I am doing it wrong??

Kudos1

Hi cattyY,

Please go to the folowing link on the Comcast Forums' Norton FAQ's, follow the directions and we will get you straightened out.  Please be aware that you are 2 version upgrades behind and with the system restore, ther is no telliong what parts of Nortno y0u may or may not have left.  None the less the follwooing instructions and the notes I place after the link will get you back to running NSS.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-To-Uninstall-Reinstall-Norton-Security-Suite-after-a-problem/m-p/870735

Please note, there will be a popup for Constant Guard Protection Suite when you click on the lnk to download NSS.  Please click on the No Thanks Button and this will revel the Get It Now button which once clicked will download and install the basic version 20 of NSS.

Run Liveupdate (rebooting when reqested) until such tie as liveupdate responds with specific words "no updates found". B eadvised you may see a request to Apply a Patch prior to seeing the "no updates found".  If so, Apply Now and let it run.  If it does not return to NSS, please reboot.  In either case, please continue after the patch to run Liveupdates until your get the "no updates found".  The most current version of of NSS is version 20.2.0.19.

Post back with the results and or questions you may have. 

Kudos0

When I go to programs to uninstall it, it will not do anything except sit there & look at me.....  I am so upset & I don't know what to do.

Kudos0

cattyy,

Did you follow the instructions to run the Norton Removal Tool? This should be able to remove Norton from your system.

Kudos0

I mentioned in an earlier post that I get an error message that says IE cannot connect to the website.

Kudos1

Alright. Sorry, I didn't see the post.

Kudos0

Thats fine.. I appreciate all the help I can get!!

Kudos0

Alright, since Firefox isn't working, try downloading and installing Google Chrome. See if that will load the webpage for the Norton Removal Tool. If it does, then there is some problem with Internet Explorer that will need to be troubleshooted. If Chrome doesn't work either then the problem is likely something other than Internet Explorer.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

Kudos0

@ cattyy,

Ok - so you can't uninstall it via Add/remove programs (Program& Features).  This may be a result of the restore you did.

Please continue with the next step in the instructions which is in fact the Norton Removal Tool - one that will work for sure with NSS.  If you get the IE error again, let us know. 

In the mean time I know it is hard to follow instuctions from two people, so since someone else is assisting you - I'll back off for now.  Please understand it is not your fault - it seems to be recurring thing.

I see once again a "solution " has appeared.  I have cleared it twice already  myself.  Norton has been made aware of the solution problem.

Kudos0

Wait a second while I wipe my tears.  I get a message that says it cannot connect to the internet. 

Kudos0

I really don't know what to do now....

Kudos1

cattyy, Are you saying that the Google Chrome link won't work either?

Kudos0

Yes, it will not connect.

Kudos0

Hi cattyy,

What was the reason for doing a system restore?

Kudos2

Reboot your system and as it starts push the <F8> key over and over.

Tap, tap, tap, tap

When the boot menu comes up choose the option "Safe Mode With Networking".

See if you can now get online with one of the browsers.  If you can, go to this link and download the removal tool for the Comcast versions.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20091202133639EN&lg=english&ct=united+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Reboot to regular windows and run the removal tool.

Dave

Kudos0

catty,

Try Internet Explorer (No Add-ons):

Click Start and in the search box type "Internet Explorer".

There should be one called "Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)". Click on this one.

Try to load either the Comcast to get Norton [website for Norton Removal Tool], or, if that doesn't work, try www.google.com/chrome to download Google Chrome.

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&amp;D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
Kudos0

OMG, OMG!!!!! Thank you so, so very much!!!!!!!! It worked & now I need to install norton. Scared to do it, lol

Kudos0

Glad to hear. Let us know if everything works fine. Also, let us know if the web browsers are still giving you any trouble or not.

Win8.1 | NIS 21 | NSM | MBAM Pro | Spybot S&amp;D | SpywareBlaster | KeyScrambler Prem | Secunia PSI | TrueCrypt | CCleaner | JV16 PowerTools | PerfectDisk Pro// NIS Settings: Aggressive Heuristics / Aggressive SONAR / Aggressive Boot Time ~ www.needGod.com
Kudos0

Thanks to everyone for all the help!  Everything seems to be fine now.  You are ALL fantastic!!

Kudos0

cattyy wrote:

Thanks to everyone for all the help!  Everything seems to be fine now.  You are ALL fantastic!!

There were a lot of suggestions in this thread. Could you be more specific about which suggestion fixed your issue?

Replies are locked for this thread.