• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

open online vault password problem

Hi

After downloading a new version of NIS when my subscription was renewed a couple of weeks ago I have had the same problem twice after a few days where i am unable to login to my online vault the first time i was prompted to uninstal and reinstall NIS using the NRnR which i did which now means i have used up all 3 of my installations  i am allowed as i also have NIS on my laptop which is running fine, it is just the main pc where i get the error message entered incorrect password on my open online vault,  i do not wish to uninstall again as it removes all passwords saved from the laptop aswell

i know what my password is as it works on the laptop i know it is case sensitve

any solution greatly apprectiated

Phil

Replies

Kudos0

Re: open online vault password problem

Hi

After downloading a new version of NIS when my subscription was renewed a couple of weeks ago I have had the same problem twice after a few days where i am unable to login to my online vault the first time i was prompted to uninstal and reinstall NIS using the NRnR which i did which now means i have used up all 3 of my installations  i am allowed as i also have NIS on my laptop which is running fine, it is just the main pc where i get the error message entered incorrect password on my open online vault,  i do not wish to uninstall again as it removes all passwords saved from the laptop aswell

i know what my password is as it works on the laptop i know it is case sensitve

any solution greatly apprectiated

Phil

Kudos0

Hi Phil,

First of all, any reinstall on the same system does not count as another install on your license.  If you reinstalled on your desktop and have it also installed on your laptop - you have used only 2 installs and you should be able to go to your Norton Account and see that you have only used two installs and have one remaining.

You should be able to go to your Online Vault via your laptop, select Vault Open > Settings from the drop down and then Export.  You can then Export your ID Safe data following the prompts and that will keepe you logins safe while you do the clean remove and reinstall that looks like it is needed.

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of NIS.

Plese remove the copy of NIS you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via (Add/Remove or Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Remvoal Tool once and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1&lg=english&ct=us

Download a fresh copy of NIS 2013 from here:

www.norton.com/nis20

Once installation is complete, open NIS and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Once totally updated, don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data if needed.

Please keep us posted.

Kudos0

Hi, thanks for answer i have done all that was suggested, in the add/remove programmes on my desktop i get the option to save passwords or delete completely i chose the first option, everything else i did as recommeded in the answer above

now when i go to open vault online password it says opening then i get an error message that says operation timed out check your net work and try again

should i redo but this time choose the second option in my desktops addd/remove programes or do you have any other ideas it is just the desktop i am having trouble with

the first time i tried to fix it myself must have used up the 3rd installation of NIS by using the NRnR tool as advised to in other answers i found to problem

windows xp if it makes any difference

Phil

Kudos0

Hi Phil,

I have seen where leaving settings behind on occassion does in fact not give you as clean a base to start from as if you removed all settings.

Have you in fact exported your ID Safe Data as requested?  If so, please try the following prior to going back and doing the uninstall, run the NRT and then reinstall again.

Open NIS, go to Settings > Web > Identity Safe > Identity Safe Setup.  Attempt to set up a profile using the same info as you use on the laptop. 

If no joy, then I would try the reinstall using the remove all settings options.

Let us now khow things go.

Kudos0

Hi

I have done all that you suggested in the end i ended up uninstalling completely and reinstalling. i can logon to my norton ok but i am still unable to logon to the vault in webbrowser on desktop pc  but i can on laptop all passwords are the same

any further ideas

thanks for your time so far

phil

Kudos0

philhunt wrote:

Hi

I have done all that you suggested in the end i ended up uninstalling completely and reinstalling. i can logon to my norton ok but i am still unable to logon to the vault in webbrowser on desktop pc  but i can on laptop all passwords are the same

any further ideas

thanks for your time so far

phil

Ok phil,

Let's get specific, you said "i can logon to my norton ok but i am still unable to logon to the vault in webbrowser on desktop pc" I take this as meaning that on the Norton Toolbar, you click on Vault Closed, the login screen comes up and you can log n to your Norton Account, but can not log into your Online vault when it asks for the password for that.  Correct?

When you click on Vault Closed on the NTB, does the logon open saying at the bottom that you are already logged on to your Norton Account or do you have to fill in the user name (email address) and password? 

You said you did all the things I suggested - so when you setup the new profile, did you use the same online vault password?

I know more questions than answers, but I want to make sure we are at the same place and taling about the same thing.

Kudos0

Hi

ok regarding your questions in order

number 1, correct unable to logon to vault all it does is syncing with a timer,  all other logons ok, i am able to login to identity safe

number 2, it asks for my online vault password i then get a timed out message

number 3, used same passwords, in fact once i entered my email address  the system knew i had a vault password and i could not see anywhere how to re enter a new one, i did manage to reset the logon password to the original same password that was it then

its getting late in ireland now so i will have to continue tomorrow

many thnks phil

Kudos0

Thanks Phil,

Have a good kip - see ya tomorrow!

Kudos0

ya hopefully get it sorted i cant see how it all works perfectly on laptop but it wont accept/recognise the vault password on the desktop, if you can think of anything else to try,

Kudos0

I have the same problem with the stand alone version of Norton Identity Safe. When I click on Vault Closed on the toolbar I get the window to open the vault.  It says that I am already logged into my Norton Account.  I type in my vault password and it times out.  even if I log out of  my Norton Account and then log back into it and type in my vault password, it times out. 

To bad there isn't way to keep passwords local so one doesn't have to rely on the vault.

Kudos0

nragone,

You can maintain a local vault by installing NIS/360 2012 instead of 2013. It gives you the option to go local or to the cloud.

If you begin with 2012 and upgrade to 2013, you will still have that option.

John E.
Kudos0

nragone exactly the same here ever since i updated to NIS 2013,

jeck123 thanks maybe i can change installations all i know is its a pain

phil

Kudos1

I  have come to the conclustion that Indentity Safe went from a great program to a peice of crap.  I had it installed along with Anti Virus 2012.. Work a few days, then wouldn't connect to the vault.  It was suggested that I upgrade anti virus to 2013 because it was a free upgrade and it might be more compatible with Indentity Safe.  I did that, but it still wouldn't connect to the vault.  I then unistalled Identity Safe and reinstalled it, which is a real pain because you have to run update and then reboot at least three times before you get a version of Indentity Safe that works in Firefox.  Again, it worked for a few days and then wouldn't connect to the vault.  I then decided to run the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool.  It wouldn't work, said I hade WinFax Pro installed.  I didn't.  I found the fix to that problem was to run Regedit and delete all instances of Delrina.  I ran the Norton Remove and Reinstall tool, it ran, but near the end got an error message, which had me run the Norton Removal Tool.  I ran it, rebooted, reinstalled Norton AntiVirus 2013, Ran Live Update until there were no more updates.  I then installed Indentity Safe, ran Internet Explorer and ran Identity Safe's update, requires a reboot after each update.  After the 3rd reboot, after I logged into Windows, the Indentity safe installatiion program ran, said it was uninstalling something and then required a reboot.  After the reboot and then logging into Windows again, the Installation program ran, but this time had an  error related to something called a DING Installer.  Kept saying it couldn't find something.  I had no choice but to exit the installer.  I ran Internet Explorer only to find that Indentity Safe was gone.

I have been a beta tester for Symantec for well over a dozen years and I think this is the first year that I wasn't invited to Beta Test NIS, N360, and Anti Virus, so sad.

Kudos0

Same problem here.... Norton Techs can't ID the issue. Recommend NRT.exe ...

But I'm sure I'm S.O.L.  

NIS was a good product but whoever spec'd the cloud version really screwed up... Very poor execution of a password manager.

I've wasted 15 hours on three computers. I'd ask for my $$ back but I'd rather make their lives miserable and have them fix the crappy product they foisted on us. 

DO YOU HEAR US NORTON/SYMANTEC MANAGEMENT????    Users have lost many hours without compensation or resolution and YOU fail to admit the product need to be fixed....

Kudos0

Hi Phil,

Sorry for the delay - I was hoping you would post a decision as to what you wanted to do - continue to try to get 2013 working properly or revert back to NIS 2012.

Anyway, here's the info for the revert:

You can go back to NIS 2012 by following these instructions. Then when you think 2013 has been updated enough for you, you can allow the upgrade.

Download the Norton Removal Tool from here www.norton.com/nrt

Download the NIS 2012 from www.norton.com/nis12
If you use Identity Safe, backup/export your data. Do this in CSV format
Uninstall your Norton product with Windows control panel.
Reboot.
Run the Norton Removal Tool.
Reboot.
Run the NIS 2012 download..
Run LiveUpdate (rebooting as requested) until LiveUpdate responds "no updates found".

If you use Identity Safe, try to log in. If it works you are done. If it does not, import your Identity Safe data.

Be sure to go into Settings - Computer - Updates and turn off the option for Automatic Download of new version.

Please let us know how things go

Kudos0

Since I ranted (above) I thought I ought to, at least, report what I did to fix the messed up situation on my machines.

I have NIS2013 (20.2.0.19) on 2 subscriptions (NIS on 4 computers, I/S on 4 mobile devices)
My passwords were all backed up to a .dat file(locally) and my 'vault' was functioning in the cloud/web.

1. Downloaded nrt.exe

2. Ran nrt.exe (without previously removing NIS)

3. Re-booted

4. Followed Nortons instructions after the re-boot 

a. login to your Norton account

b. download the software again.

c. re-install 

d. ya-da ya-da....

Everything works properly on all computers after doing this ~ 20 minutes on each box.   

All Support had to do from the beginning was recommend this... Instead I:

1st time... waited in a chat queue for over an hour - with no resolution, 

2nd time... listened to Support BS that I should wait 24hrs because they were having server problems

3rd time ... endured the same crap as 1 and 2 only to be told to do what I finall did.

Thanks Norton Support.... You'll get better .... When the Mayan predictions come true?

Kudos0

Yank, sorry busy period with chrimbo and all that been in uk since 22 just got back to day with give your suggestion a go and let you know a gazilliion email to go through first well it seems like it   luckily i only only have the dsektop to sort out as all is running fine on laptop

Kudos0

No problem philhunt, we would have liked to be in the UK also visiting my wife's brothers and sister - but we did get to talk on the phone to them.  when you ctach up, take your time and give it a try.

Kudos0

Hi Yank i did as you suggested but the nis 2012 link is not a link to download that version, not being pc techy savvy i dont really know what it is but i know it is not a download link, so i have reinstalled nis 2013 online vault still not working but at least my desktop is protected and hopefully the norton developers who want paying each year will sort this problem out and release a fix but let everyone know via email or other means, otherwise AVG for me and save 60 odd euro a year, and i mentioned all that has happened in the feedback why are you leaving us form, thank you for your help all along the way, and a very happy new year

The mayans were correct in a way, skynet became self aware and broke norton

Phil

Kudos0

Hi philhunt,

Below is what I see when I click on the link I provided for NIS 2012:  The actual download occurs and you have the choice of running it from there, Save it, or Cancelling it.  Plese note, I shrank the length of the screenshot - it normally takes the whole page.  Also it will flash yellow and few times and eventually stay yellow to draw attention to itself.  Did you se something different?

Kudos0

yank yes that is the file i got i saved it to my desktop anyway, my confusion is it does not say it is nis 2012 just this nis-esd19-5-2enexe i have the options to open, run as, etc do i just open

the style it appeared was different aswell just a security warning bar across top of browser

phil

Kudos0

Yes Phil, you can just open the file you saved on your desktop and it should run the installation.  The 19.5.1.2 is the version number of the NIS you are downloading and EN is for english.  It is the 2012 product, but the version ws really 19, as the 2013 products are version 20.

Kudos0

Hi Yank, explained nicely thanks, tell me do you know if the developers at norton are aware of this problem as it appears to be not just me and are they intending an update/fix for it because if so i would keep nis 2013 installed because i would have thought a company like norton would be quick off the mark to find a fix

many thnaks

phil

Kudos0

Phil,

There are numerous problems with the 2013 version of the Online Vault, some the same as yours,others a bit different. 

Norton has been working on the entire ID Safe function for the 2013 version - logging into the vault, browser conflicts/freezes, etc. 

We just have to be patient, adn hope that the release of a fix is sooner rather than later.  IMHO, it will be fixed - just have no idea of when.

Kudos0

yank thats good as do like 2013 nis as all passwords etc go onto both pcs saves a lot of messing around hope they find a fix soon, for now i will stick with 2013 and keep on updateing as norm, one day it will work

thank you for all your help and  happy new year

phil

Kudos0

You are most welcomed Phil and you have a great new year also.

Kudos0

I think Norton (Symantec) would have been smart to leave in the option to have a local vault.  At least that when when there are problems like this, we have an option other than don't use it.  I know that Symantec is located in California, so I assume that their Online Vault is as well.  What happens when California has another earthquake which knocks out power, which means no online vault?

Symantec do us all a favor and put back the option for a local vault.

Replies are locked for this thread.