• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Issue with Norton Identity Protection and chrome

This is bizarre behaviour but i've narrowed it down to the identity protection extension for chrome and if I disable this my problems go away.

The issue is that when I'm using chrome I find that text fields such as the search at the top of yahoo mail are disabled. I cannot type in them. HOWEVER, if I open a new tab, close it again and then try type in the text box, it works! 

Also say if I search for a webpage and click on it, opens in new tab, I cannot scroll down the page. Again if I open a new tab and close it again and go back to the page I can then scroll it. It's like as if whatever script is being used by the identity protection is blocking the basic javascripts of the website from running. It's annoying so i've simply disabled the extension.. which brings the question.. whats the point in having it? Be nice if it was fixed as I like the idea of the identity protection and anti-phishing.

Regards

F

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Issue with Norton Identity Protection and chrome

This is bizarre behaviour but i've narrowed it down to the identity protection extension for chrome and if I disable this my problems go away.

The issue is that when I'm using chrome I find that text fields such as the search at the top of yahoo mail are disabled. I cannot type in them. HOWEVER, if I open a new tab, close it again and then try type in the text box, it works! 

Also say if I search for a webpage and click on it, opens in new tab, I cannot scroll down the page. Again if I open a new tab and close it again and go back to the page I can then scroll it. It's like as if whatever script is being used by the identity protection is blocking the basic javascripts of the website from running. It's annoying so i've simply disabled the extension.. which brings the question.. whats the point in having it? Be nice if it was fixed as I like the idea of the identity protection and anti-phishing.

Regards

F

Kudos0

I have seen this exact same behavior. Pages load and are blank until I open a new tab. Then, if I go back to the original tab, the page has appeared. I have also seen the no scrolling issue.

If I close the Norton toolbar in Chrome (by clicking the little "X" on the far left side) these behaviors seems to go away and my browing returns to normal. Give this a try and let us know if it fixes the problem.

Kudos0

In most cases the open a new tab is a nice workaround; thanks!

Ed_in_OR wrote:
If I close the Norton toolbar in Chrome (by clicking the little "X" on the far left side) these behaviors seems to go away and my browing returns to normal. Give this a try and let us know if it fixes the problem.[

Yes, maybe this solution resulted in normal browsing, but I focused on how to bring the toolbar back. The extension was still activated. I tried Norton Autofix to no avail. I uninstalled Chrome and re-installed. Still no toolbar. I tried the toolbar button 'Norton Secured' (upper right corner). At last I restored an image backup of drive C:. The toolbar is back, the browser freezes occasionally, then I open a new tab...

The problem seems to not be quite new. There has been crash problems in NIS 2012 according to a post from 'PieterV, Symantec Employee' in May 2012.

A couple of users are not fond of NIS 2013 and want to revert to 2012. I have been running NIS 2013 only for a week. I should like to tell I am very comfortable with this product. Loads and shutdowns very well, low load on system resources, favorable update procedures. The most important issue: I rely on the protection; I can leave my computer unattended. (For several years I have used another brand of internet security system, well-known and with good test results, but since this summer there have been a lot of crashes and protection turned off due to “license problems”. I reinstalled the app several times, formatted the drive, reinstalled Windows. I was not the only one with these issues...)

So, I am very pleased with NIS 2013. The browsing problems seems to be my only issue. It affects both Chrome and IE9, they use the same Internet services?; Firefox 17.0.1 seems to work well. That is a bit ironic, me previous AV/IS vendor has problems with the FF toolbar plug-in, that is why I changed to Chrome. Now I have converted to NIS and I have some problems with Chrome, but not FF.)

NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] / Win7x64Pro SP1 & Win 8.1
Kudos1

<< Yes, maybe this solution resulted in normal browsing, but I focused on how to bring the toolbar back. The extension was still activated. I tried Norton Autofix to no avail. I uninstalled Chrome and re-installed. Still no toolbar. I tried the toolbar button 'Norton Secured' (upper right corner). >>

Hi John,

You may have found out the way to bring the toolbar back after hiding it, is to click the Norton icon at the upper right of the browser, next to the Customize button. Under normal circumstances this always works. Many users of Chrome have been having toolbar issues since upgrading to the 2013 version of their product. It affects different users in different ways. Some are having the problem, others are not.

I occasionally hide the toolbar for short periods of time to have more space, but not to improve browsing. Running NIS 2012 I have no issues using Chrome or the toolbar.

Ed

Kudos0

Edjr60 wrote 

Hi John,

You may have found out the way to bring the toolbar back after hiding it, is to click the Norton icon at the upper right of the browser, next to the Customize button. Under normal circumstances this always works. Many users of Chrome have been having toolbar issues since upgrading to the 2013 version of their product. It affects different users in different ways. Some are having the problem, others are not.

I occasionally hide the toolbar for short periods of time to have more space, but not to improve browsing. Running NIS 2012 I have no issues using Chrome or the toolbar.

Ed

Finally I have tried again. May be I had some finger-trouble the other day.. Today the Close/Reopen Norton toolbar works flawlessly in Chrome. And in Firefox and Internet Explorer (with a bit different approach).

Shame on me....

Kudos0

JohnDissident wrote:

Shame on me....

I am not sure.

My Chrome is now automatically updated to v 24.0.1312.52 m. Now I am NOT able to reopen the toolbar.

Kudos0

Reboot = Solved!

A reboot seems to be wonderful cure...

Kudos0

JohnDissident wrote:

Reboot = Solved!

A reboot seems to be wonderful cure...

Hi John,

Generally if you manually update Chrome by clicking the Customize Icon > About Google Chrome, after the update to the new version, you will be presented with a small window telling you to relaunch Chrome to finish the update. You just click the Relaunch button on the small window that appears to relaunch the browser. It's a good idea to restart the computer also, even though Chrome doesn't prompt you for that in the case of a manual update.

In the case of an auto update, I received mine the other day to version 24.0.1312.52, again Chrome doesn't prompt you, but you need to reboot anyway. I'm running NIS 2012 and didn't encounter any toolbar issues.

Ed

Kudos2

finbarrhall wrote:

Regards

F

Try this and see if it fixes the freeze/hang issue, until a more permanent fix comes along:

1) Open Chrome and type "about:plugins" in the address bar.

2) When the plugins page opens, click Details in the upper right side of the page.

3) Near the top of the page will be 2 files for Adobe Flash Player.

4) Find the file with the location that ends in Pepper Flash or pepflashplayer.dll.

5) Click Disable for this file and restart the Chrome browser.

6) Go to: get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and download the latest version of Flash Player. (Ignore the message about Chrome having a built-in player)

7) Once it installs, restart Chrome.

Corey

Replies are locked for this thread.