• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Norton 360 keeps crashing or disappearing

I am using Norton 360 version 20.2.0.19 on Windows 7.

The application keeps stopping/crashing/diappearing from notification areas/will not open.

This all started 2 weeks ago after PC had been off for 6 weeks (I was away).

Managed to uninstall/reinstall and run Power eraser which removed one bad file found.

A week ago, after another switch off, it happened again. Reinstalled once more.

2 days ago it broke down with an unspecified 'internal problem' during a JPG scan.

Again I have reinstalled but am now reluctant to switch off or perform scans.

Have I got a virus that has been missed? Is 360 corrupted? Is my hard disk on the blink?

Any ideas greatly appreciated, thanks.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton 360 keeps crashing or disappearing

Do a search for 'uninstall Norton', once found run the tool to completely uninstall Norton.

Reinstall Norton by logging into your account.

Brian

(Main thing is to uninstall completely)

Kudos0

Norton Power Eraser is an aggressive tool. You need to know what file it removed and whether this was critical or not.

You should download, and run malwarebytes and advise findings.

Kudos0

Many thanks for replies, sorry they raise more questions.

1) Complete Uninstall? Does not NRnR.exe do that? If I use 'Uninstall Norton' I guess I lose all my settings?

2) Malwarebytes? Is it better than 360 then? Do I have to disable 360 when running it?

Thanks again.

Kudos0

Update - Just ran Live Update and received a 'Patch' that has installed.

Dont't know if this is related to the problem or whether it has improved it yet.

Don't recall ever receiving an update labelled as a 'Patch' ever before so it's something new.

Kudos0

Rufford155 wrote:

Many thanks for replies, sorry they raise more questions.

1) Complete Uninstall? Does not NRnR.exe do that? If I use 'Uninstall Norton' I guess I lose all my settings?

2) Malwarebytes? Is it better than 360 then? Do I have to disable 360 when running it?

Thanks again.

Before responding to above, let me say that occasionnally it is worth manually executing liveupdate.

NRnR does the job intended by Norton. If you are asking if it removes ever entry of Norton, the answer is no and it is not intended to do so. This makes reinstallation easier.

You lose some settings but not sure what settings you have or refer to. You should always follow the online procedure. Make a backup exported copy of your vault, backup fiels etc.

Malwarebytes when downloaded and installed as the free version and not (repeat not) as the trial version of the full package i.e. do not accept invitation, does not impact on Norton. Malwarebytes can also be left installed and run periodically if desired. No two av scanners or packages are identical and one may well for example tidy up bits left after an infection that the other does not consider material or necessary. Malwarebytes is not a replacement for Norton and is not intended therefore to be "better" or "worse", they are different tools. You do not have to disable NOrton 360 whatsoever.

Kudos0

Hi Rufford155,

Please run LiveUpdate (rebooting when reuqested until you see the specific words "no updates found".  Once you see those words (and only then) are you fully up to date as far as Liveupdate goes.  BTW, the PATCH is expected whilel updating your program.

Let us now if there are any changes to your system, after doing that.

You asked:

1) Complete Uninstall?

A complete uninstall includes removing the Norton product via the ControlPanel, selecting the second option (remove all settings), rebooting, and then running the Norton Remval Tool and rebooting.

Does not NRnR.exe do that?

The Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool, uninsatlls your current version (actually using Option 1 - save settings) and then reinsatlls the most crurrent version of yor Norton product.  Note LiveUpdte stillneeds to be run to fully update yur system definition wise.  This tool is different from the Norton Removal Toolin thatit does not remove registry leftovers, etc.

If I use 'Uninstall Norton' I guess I lose all my settings

I'm guessing you are referring to a ControlPanel Uninsatll - once again, it depends on which option you choose - save settings or remove all settings.  Please bear inmind that not all settings are retained - your customized firewall settings come to mind as being lost.

Just saw that you have received another response while I was typing so - I'll defer to cgoldman!

Kudos0

I ran Malwarebytes quick scan - nothing found.

Everything seems to be working right now but I did have a crash on Windows Media Centre last night.

Had to switch power off but windows started normally afterwards.

Still apprehensive about system stability.

Will keep the thread updated.

Kudos0

I suggest you check Malwarebytes is fully updated. Then run full scan.

If you switch power off you may cause problems - this is really never a good idea unless you absolutely have no choice.

I suggest you now run a full chkdsk. Open a command windows type chkdsk /f/r and when it says do you want to run on the next reboot answer yes. I believe this still works in Win 8. The check disk may take some time so dont reboot until you have spare time.

Kudos0

Malwarebytes is up to date and I ran a full scan - nothing detected.

The file tagged 'bad' and removed earlier by NPE was : 'cpuz135_x64.sys'.

There's lots on the web about this, apparently some sort of driver used by CPUID, whatever that is (CPU monitoring?).

There are suggestions that some malware disguises itself as this file especially if in a temp folder (don't know if it was).

Others declare that it is a False Positive by some anti-malware tools.

I don't believe it is an actual Windows file and my system doesn't seem any worse for removing it.

I haven't run CheckDisk yet as I'm loathe to restart or turn off.

Incidentally, NPE also found 17 other files it tagged as 'unknown'. These all had '.ni.' in the file name which I understand means 'native image' but I cannot find any of these on the PC. One of them was 'soluto.ni.exe' so I have uninstalled Soluto (it didn't do a lot!) Now I've found a Soluto folder still in Program Data (hidden) with loads of stuff in it. Can anyone advise if it's safe to delete?

By the way - Merry Christmas everybody.

Kudos0

Rufford155 wrote:

Malwarebytes is up to date and I ran a full scan - nothing detected.

The file tagged 'bad' and removed earlier by NPE was : 'cpuz135_x64.sys'.

There's lots on the web about this, apparently some sort of driver used by CPUID, whatever that is (CPU monitoring?).

There are suggestions that some malware disguises itself as this file especially if in a temp folder (don't know if it was).

Others declare that it is a False Positive by some anti-malware tools.

I don't believe it is an actual Windows file and my system doesn't seem any worse for removing it.

I haven't run CheckDisk yet as I'm loathe to restart or turn off.

Incidentally, NPE also found 17 other files it tagged as 'unknown'. These all had '.ni.' in the file name which I understand means 'native image' but I cannot find any of these on the PC. One of them was 'soluto.ni.exe' so I have uninstalled Soluto (it didn't do a lot!) Now I've found a Soluto folder still in Program Data (hidden) with loads of stuff in it. Can anyone advise if it's safe to delete?

By the way - Merry Christmas everybody.

CPUID you can check out at cpuid.com. It is a useful information tool which I use from time to time. If you dont know you dont need it.  32bit and 64 bit versions are available for download.

I cant advise on soluto except to say be sure it really makes a difference for you. If not I would try to avoid these type of programs.Often, as perhaps in this case, they do not fully uninstall.

It does not sound like you have a rootkit infection but that would be the only reason not to reboot surely

Kudos0

I have never knowingly downloaded anything from CPUID and cannot find anything else to do with it on the system so my feeling is that cpuz file removed by NPE in fact WAS a bad file.

I have now run a full system scan with Norton 360 itself which found 2 identical Trojans 'Webkit!html' which have been quarantined. They were in attachments to junk emails from 'message@tax.co.uk' which had only been moved from Inbox to Junk and never opened so I don't think they had compromised anything.

Incidentally, Malwarebyted had NOT found these.

Still considering CheckDisk on next restart.

Kudos0

I am out of the UK for a few weeks now and the offending PC is switched off.

Norton had been stable for a couple of weeks and I renewed my sub, but I never switched off, although I did restart.

I will update the thread when I return.

Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Here's an update as promised now back in UK.

While away my son-in-law, who is in IT, had a look at the PC without finding anything wrong despite trying several diagnostic methods and programs (not sure if he included checkdisk).

Anyway, after nearly a week all seems to be running fine so I'm just keping fingers crossed and will mark this as solved(!)

Two minor niggles have cropped up with 360 now which I'll start new threads for if I can't find a solution.

Replies are locked for this thread.