• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Windows 8, Norton 360 always crashes

I'm using Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center Edition, Intel i5 processor, 8GB ram.  I decided to download and install Norton 360 from norton.com last night.  After initial installation of Norton 360, I ran LiveUpdate to get all the updates and the last batch of updates it restarted WIndows 8.  Now each time that Windows 8 starts, Norton 360 crashes where it shows the Symantec Framework crashing and Norton 360 goes away.

I also noticed that the Norton Security Scan is not compatible in Windows 8.  I downloaded Norton Security Scan from the free tools, and the installer shows a message is not compatible.

The Norton.com web site indicates Norton 360 is compatible in Windows 8.  I searched via Google for various keywords and phrases without ever finding any other problems like this one.  I have already ran Windows 8 Refresh and Resets many times on this system from other wireless connectivity issues.

For refernce of history, see:

http://mywindows8experiences.blogspot.com/

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Windows 8, Norton 360 always crashes

I'm using Windows 8 Pro x64 with Media Center Edition, Intel i5 processor, 8GB ram.  I decided to download and install Norton 360 from norton.com last night.  After initial installation of Norton 360, I ran LiveUpdate to get all the updates and the last batch of updates it restarted WIndows 8.  Now each time that Windows 8 starts, Norton 360 crashes where it shows the Symantec Framework crashing and Norton 360 goes away.

I also noticed that the Norton Security Scan is not compatible in Windows 8.  I downloaded Norton Security Scan from the free tools, and the installer shows a message is not compatible.

The Norton.com web site indicates Norton 360 is compatible in Windows 8.  I searched via Google for various keywords and phrases without ever finding any other problems like this one.  I have already ran Windows 8 Refresh and Resets many times on this system from other wireless connectivity issues.

For refernce of history, see:

http://mywindows8experiences.blogspot.com/

Kudos0

What have you actually installed? Which version? Did you buy the product or are you trialing? What AV software is currently installed and was installed at the time of the Norton install? If another AV product was installed and removed before installing Norotn, what procedure did you follow to remove that AV product?

Kudos1

I downloaded and installed the Norton 360 version from Norton.com.  Here is the link.  I did not see a version on the web site.  I already uninstalled Norton 360 for now in Windows 8.  I have not bought the product yet, just seeing if it would work.  The results so far indicates it will not work for now.

Windows 8 Pro has Windows Defender only as it came with Windows 8.  No other AV programs installed at this time.

Since there was remants of Norton 360 in Windows 8 after the Uninstall ran, I used the Norton Removal Tool on their web site.

I still have not found any further information on why Symantec Framework crashes and Norton 360 will not run afterwards.  I have to uninstall and re-install Norton 360, but then I get the same result.

Kudos0

So it sounds like you already uninstalled, used NRT, reinstalled and had same problem.

In that event I can only ask again has the machine ever had any other AV product installed?

I know you advised that no other AV programs installed at this time, but I am interested in what may have previously been installed and whether any clean up tools should have been used or not.

Kudos0

Windows 8 has not had any other AV product installed.  Only Windows Defender exists as it is part of Windows 8.

I downloaded and ran the Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tools.  When this ran, a dialog window showed that I must run this tool using a support Windows operating system (i.e. Windows XP through Windows 8).  I am running Windows 8 Pro x64 and I cannot get this to run.

With all my Windows 8 problems, including the wireless network connectivity issues, I created a blog to document these problems about Windows 8.  I previously posted the link to this blog.  I never had this many problems when I ran Windows XP and Windows 7.  Windows 8 is a different operating system, and it seems unstable so far.

Kudos0

Sorry I cannot suggest anything and hope that someone else comes along with an answer or proposal such as providing crash dumps. I do however note that you say "Windows 8 has not had any other Av product installed " . Is this a fresh PC on which the only operating system ever installed is Windows 8?  Most commercial PC's seem to have at least a trial version of AV installed. Anyway, I guess readers will assume that no other AV product was installed under Windows 8.

Kudos0

This is an ASUS laptop that has Windows 8 on it.  There is no pre-installed third-party AV program.  Only Microsoft Defender exists in Windows 8.  This laptop pre-install of Windows 8 has no programs pre-installed.

I ran another Windows 8 Reset on the system where I started over on Windows 8.  I have not tried installing Norton 360 again.  I would like to know why it would not run after installing all of the updates.  I did find another thread where Norton 360 fails to run, but I am not sure if it is relating to Windows 8.

I appreciate your effort and assistance. Thanks.

Replies are locked for this thread.