• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Can't get rid of ads by Browse to Save

Not sure how I got the virus, but I can't get rid of it. I'm on IE 9. Any ideas?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Can't get rid of ads by Browse to Save

Not sure how I got the virus, but I can't get rid of it. I'm on IE 9. Any ideas?

Kudos0

Several ways to do this. No doubt others will come in and direct you differently. Your choice.

When you get one of the adds there should be a link "l" to their website. On their website there should be a tab to uninstall.

(I havent checked this myself but this was the last info I had on this).If that doesnt work let me know if you care to.

Kudos0

I tried that earlier and it didn't appear to work, so I tried a bunch of other things and now the ads seem to be gone, although not sure exactly what I did to have that happen. I did uninstall IE9, though. Is there a way to check to see if the ads are actually completely gone?

Kudos0

Not that I know. Why not keep this thread open for a few days. That way, if it returns you can post for more help. Otherwise when it is time I believe you can mark the thread as solved.

Kudos0

It doesn't appear that they are completely gone. The ads will pop up on random words (If you hover over certain words, the ad will be shown). The words like that are blue, and I just had it happen. However, when I went back to the exact same spot where the word I saw was, it was no longer blue and the ad was no longer there.

Kudos0

I would suggest downloading and running AdwCleaner. You can obtain this from downloads from BleepingComputer.com.

Kudos0

I would suggest a scan using the FREE version of Malwarebytes. You can find it here http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I used the free version of malware bytes and ran a scan and removed all of those. That was when the ads had disappeared. I'm going to download a different malware tool and try it, then I'll download an adware tool and try it. Would this problem go away completely if I simply restored my computer to factory settings?

Kudos0

Tenholder42 wrote:

I used the free version of malware bytes and ran a scan and removed all of those. That was when the ads had disappeared. I'm going to download a different malware tool and try it, then I'll download an adware tool and try it. Would this problem go away completely if I simply restored my computer to factory settings?

What did Malwarebytes find? It would go away if restored because this is not a rootkit infection but I would not suggest this action in this case because Browse to Save is very basic and can be easily removed. Anyway it seems from what you said that the ads had disappeared after malwarebytes. There are staged procedures which cope with different variants. You only carried out the first stage I suggested.

Looks like you are following the instructions from the Guru, so not to confuse matters I will say goodluck and bye.

Kudos0

Dimension wrote:
What did Malwarebytes find? It would go away if restored because this is not a rootkit infection but I would not suggest this action in this case because Browse to Save is very basic and can be easily removed. Anyway it seems from what you said that the ads had disappeared after malwarebytes. There are staged procedures which cope with different variants. You only carried out the first stage I suggested.

Looks like you are following the instructions from the Guru, so not to confuse matters I will say goodluck and bye.

I'm trying both ways. Malwarebytes found over 20 threats, and I removed them all. I downloaded the adware tool so I can use it once this new scan from malwarebytes finishes up (wanna see if new threats are there now). I also downloaded a PC Utility Kit too. I'll post once the scans get done. Adware scan should happen somewhat soon.

Kudos0

Tenholder42 wrote:

I'm trying both ways. .

Not a good idea but your choice of course. Another user, Quads,  in this forum makes the following statement in some posts

"We  ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Do as the instructions ask nothing extra or run things twice" .

Glad you are getting there. Bye.

Kudos0

Tenholder42 wrote:

Dimension wrote:

I'm trying both ways. Malwarebytes found over 20 threats, and I removed them all. I downloaded the adware tool so I can use it once this new scan from malwarebytes finishes up (wanna see if new threats are there now). I also downloaded a PC Utility Kit too. I'll post once the scans get done. Adware scan should happen somewhat soon.

I would hold off on any utilities for now. See if your system is working now before looking for something that may not be there any more. You might make your system worse if you do not fully understand what the utilities are doing.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos1

Dimension wrote:

"Looks like you are following the instructions from the Guru, so not to confuse matters I will say goodluck and bye."

and

"Glad you are getting there. Bye."

LOL - So, now you are trying to impersonate Quads?  The one you bashed a few days ago?

Give it up please!

Kudos0

Didn't end up using the Utility Kits. Still waiting for malwarebytes to finish up.

Kudos0

And with this

"Not a good idea but your choice of course. Another user, Quads, in this forum makes the following statement in some posts "We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Do as the instructions ask nothing extra or run things twice" .

Copying me there to, but no where near me.

No logs for starters on say message 2 / 3,  not even a link for bleeping computer.

They say copying someone is the best form of flatery,   but in this case NOOOOOO!!  especially as a small group gave abuse to the user first before copying them.

Don't copy anything of mine or what I have stated anywhere, you don't deserve that right.

Quads

Kudos0

This is such an unfriendly forum. The comment was attributed to you and quoted out from a public forum. I cannot myself see what the issue is.

The rest is just so confusing. Maybe someone can explain the English to me.

Anyway, no offence was intended I simply tried to demonstrate that the user might consider one approach rather than trying to follow two or more alternative approaches.

So sorry.

Quads wrote:

And with this

"Not a good idea but your choice of course. Another user, Quads, in this forum makes the following statement in some posts "We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Do as the instructions ask nothing extra or run things twice" .

Copying me there to, but no where near me.

No logs for starters on say message 2 / 3,  not even a link for bleeping computer.

They say copying someone is the best form of flatery,   but in this case NOOOOOO!!  especially as a small group gave abuse to the user first before copying them.

Don't copy anything of mine or what I have stated anywhere, you don't deserve that right.

Quads

Kudos0

They are my instructions  I use, not yours,   do not use any of the instrctions that are mine for the thread I gave it as if you are pretending to do what I can do, when I can see you can't.

There are (or should I say was) reasons why malware removal threads by MR's like myself are like I had them,  you just found out by this why "intended I simply tried to demonstrate that the user might consider one approach rather than trying to follow two or more alternative approaches." 

Don't pretend to do what I do,  or use anything by me for users that includes grabbing attachment scripts and other fixes.

Oh and so it is known,  a thread had appeared on the web where a user ran a MBAM scan and remove any detections with Zeroaccess in the background  after the restart Windows would not startup, so tried recovery of different degrees,  Now the users system has everything mostly GONE, but part of zeroaccess survived.  

The System is stuck in the grand canyon of a hole.   That is what can happen when there is no logging and a user or helper does not know what they are doing or even looking at.

maybe someone else can try and explain to you.   DO NOT USE MY WORK!!!!!!

Quads

Kudos0

I came to this community as a good samaritan to provide help. I suspect I have far more IT qualifications than you. It is quite outrageous how you behave. You act as a bully. So this is my last post in this community. You need serious help I did not use your instructions I quoted them.

This community is clearly unmoderated. Your ranting posts do not help the user and are contrary to the guidelines. Yet the moderators take no action.

Kudos0

@Dimension

cooloutac is that you?

@Tenholder42

If you've run MalwareBytes AntiMalware twice until it shows zero results. But you want to be extra safe try SUPERAntispyware.

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security v.21.x
Kudos0

An IT Qual, means nothing in the MR field,  I have had to help companies, IT people and others in the past,  true IT people know what they cannot do, though I have come accross IT guys that think with the piece of paper they can do everything, they can't (reformat, refiormat.............)

Do not use my work, that is mine as I have worked out each thread with each step, script, fix and log.  NOT your work.  You are just a non MR copycat that is trying to be, After giving me stick about what I do,   but you can't do what I do.

That thread shows no step 1 log etc.    Just stop using my posts that were for other users where I remove malware.

Adwcleaner as of 3 days ago did not find browse 2 save.

Quads

Replies are locked for this thread.