• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

360 v6 - Metered Network Settings

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I'll apologise before I bore folk with my question :-)

Okay, I've just installed Norton 360v6 with over 200 days remaining on the licence on a new Windows 8 desktop (HP) and this has brought up a Fix Now pop-up window, metered network settings and I do note I'm not the first! However only a few days ago I installed the same software on a laptop (Sony) with the same Windows 8 and it didn't result in the same way. I note that the loading on the laptop which came with McAfee installed and desktop which is posing the problem came with a short term Norton installed.

So I'm sure this is this RIGHT place for a straight forward answer.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: 360 v6 - Metered Network Settings

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so I'll apologise before I bore folk with my question :-)

Okay, I've just installed Norton 360v6 with over 200 days remaining on the licence on a new Windows 8 desktop (HP) and this has brought up a Fix Now pop-up window, metered network settings and I do note I'm not the first! However only a few days ago I installed the same software on a laptop (Sony) with the same Windows 8 and it didn't result in the same way. I note that the loading on the laptop which came with McAfee installed and desktop which is posing the problem came with a short term Norton installed.

So I'm sure this is this RIGHT place for a straight forward answer.

Kudos0

I have asked this post be moved to the Norton 360 board for better exposure.

If I understand you correctly, the laptop that is giving this error message also has McAfee installed? I would also guess the short term Norton you say is also on the laptop is probably Norton Internet Security.

If this is the case you need to remove both of those from  the laptop before installing Norton 360. If you have more than one security program installed, the two (or more) programs fight for the system resources and can give you strange problems or even crash your computer.

First you need to fully remove McAfee using the Consumer Products Removal Tool from McAfee found here  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

Then you should use the Norton Removal Tool to remove the short term Norton and your current install of 360. You will find that here   www.norton.com/nrt

Now you will have a clean machine to install your copy of Norton 360.

Try this and let us know how it works.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Peterweb, many thanks for your answer firstly, sorry for confusing the forum, I'll have another go.

The laptop which had McAfee on it when bought new, works fine... it's the desktop (HP) which came with a short term Norton on it out of the box, which is presenting the problems.

So I've confused you, but hopefully I did take the Norton short term off, before I installed the last of 3 licenced copies on the desktop. Seems a bit strange that the HP was supplied with a Norton software on from the begining, out of the box.

I will report what's going on.

Regards

TheImprover

Kudos0

I don't know whether this makes any difference to the outcome, but the version of my 360 is - 6.4.0.9

As far I am aware I do keep updates on auto.

Regards

TheImprover

Kudos0

Now I'm certain that I removed the short term Norton as it was already installed on the desktop... here is question 2. If I uninstall 360 v6 is this regarded as a 4th install, am I going to run out of chances with a 3 licence buy?

Regards

TheImprover

Kudos0

TheImprover wrote:

Now I'm certain that I removed the short term Norton as it was already installed on the desktop... here is question 2. If I uninstall 360 v6 is this regarded as a 4th install, am I going to run out of chances with a 3 licence buy?

Regards

TheImprover

Hi,
If the total number of computers doesn't exceed your subscription number there should be no problem. You can use Norton Management to clear unused subscriptions so that you can do a reinstall on an active system. If you don't have/want to use the program you can contact customer support

http://www.norton.com/chat

and they can fix things for you

Keep us posted

Dick Win7x64 SP1 current NSBU
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Well looks as if that's the right way to go http://www.norton.com/chat

Took a little bit longer than anticipated, but it's good at this moment, so thanks to dickevans and peterweb.

There does appear to be a bit of a conflict between Windows 8 and 360 or possibly the PC manufacturer, no point in laying the blame though.

Regards

TheImprover

Replies are locked for this thread.