• Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Could not load Norton Identity Safe - Chrome Error

Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64
Norton 360 Premier Edition 20.2.0.19
Google Chrome Version 24.0.1312.56

All of a sudden within the past day or so, the Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe will not load in Google Chrome. When
launching Chrome, or opening a new tab, there is the error 'Could not load Norton Identity Safe'. Previously all was
working fine. Nothing was changed, it just seemed to stop working. Running LiveUpdate confirms that I have the
current version and I have the latest updates. I attempted to resolve the issue via the AutoFix, but it found no
complications. I even went as far as uninstalling/re-installing Norton 360, but the problem still persisted. In an
effort to ensure there wasn't a problem or interference with any other extensions, I disabled all extensions but
the Norton Identity Protection 2013.2.1.36, however the problem still persisted. I upgraded Google Chrome while
troubleshooting to the current version, I was previously running 24.0.1312.52 when the problem started, but that
still hasn't fixed the issue. I'm at a loss as to why it would all of a sudden just stop working. Any guidance or
assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Could not load Norton Identity Safe - Chrome Error

I am having the exact same problem with NIS and according to your update program I have the latest version. As mentioned by the previous poster this has been going on for a couple of days now.

Kudos0

It must not have applied the patch since I re-installed, as I now have version 20.2.1.22. Nonetheless, still after once again bringing N360 to the current version and running LiveUpdate until 'No updates found' the problem still exists. Please note this is the same state it was in before I uninstalled/re-installed as I mentioned. Further guidance would be appreciated.

Kudos0

I too am suddenly having this problem.  I can't use Chrome or Firefox unless I disable Norton Identity Safe.  I ran live update and rebooted my computer but that hasn't helped.

FYI:

OS Name: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
System type: X86-based PC
Version: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

Kudos0

UPDATE:  I uninstalled/reinstalled Norton 360 and so far it seems to have corrected the problem with Norton Identity Safe.

Kudos0

Any further suggestions/recommendations for me since I am the original poster and my issue is still unresolved?

Kudos0

Apparently they are not going to answer your original post.

Kudos0

Windows 7 x64

Chrome v.24.0.1312.56

NIS2013 v20.2.1.22

I have been having the same problem for two days now. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling both chrome and NIS2013.

I have also tried to manually update my NIS product.

Nothing improved. The problem still remains!!!

Is there any way to fix it?

Kudos0

cjcostes wrote:

Any further suggestions/recommendations for me since I am the original poster and my issue is still unresolved?

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of N 360.

Plese remove the copy of N 360 you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&lg=english&ct=united+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Download a fresh copy and install:

www.norton.com/n360p_6 (Premiere Edition)

Once installation is complete, open N 360 and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Once totally updated, see if the Norton Tolbar and ID Safe load and don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data if it isn;t present.

Please keep us posted.

FYI - The Norton Removal Tooll clenas up any left over digital debris/corrput install/uninstall situations which mayhave occured if you did just and uninstall/reinstall.

Kudos0

@eeryelf

I have exactly the same environment:

Windows 7 x64

Chrome v.24.0.1312.56

NIS2013 v20.2.1.22

Norton Identity Safe loads without problems. You have reinstalled both Chrome and NIS and the problem still remains. Maybe the setup files are corrupted, have you tried to do a fresh download? Otherwise there must be some system-specific issues with your computer (?). Have you tried system tools like chkdsk and sfc /scannow?

Edit: I think yank's reply was more to the point.

__________________________________________NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] / Win7x64Pro SP1 & Win 8.1
Kudos0

I formatted my PC two weeks ago and everything worked smoothly. However I had everything checked. I checked the registry and done checkdisk. I used norton removal tool and I also uninstalled chrome as Yank said. Then I reinstalled nis2013 and then chrome. The problem still exists. 

It seems the problem started when my chrome updated to the latest version. 

I don't think it is a system specific issue due to the fact that other users experience this problem as well. With a quick search I found that some people address this issue outside this community as well.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

cjcostes wrote:

If you use Identity Safe for your Logins, please back it up (export) the data so it can be Restored (Imported) after you install a fresh copy of N 360.

Plese remove the copy of N 360 you have installed, using the Control Panel uninstall via Programs & Features.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool and reboot after it is completed. The NRT can be found here: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us&lg=english&ct=united+states&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home&entsrc=redirect_pubweb

Download a fresh copy and install:

www.norton.com/n360p_6 (Premiere Edition)

Once installation is complete, open N 360 and manually Run LiveUpdate as many times as necessary for it to respond "no more updates found". If a reboot is requested, reboot and then continue to Run LiveUpdate until it responds "no more updates found" and then reboot one last time.

Once totally updated, see if the Norton Tolbar and ID Safe load and don't forget to Restore/Import your ID Safe data if it isn;t present.

Please keep us posted.

FYI - The Norton Removal Tooll clenas up any left over digital debris/corrput install/uninstall situations which mayhave occured if you did just and uninstall/reinstall.

I attempted these steps, with the addition of a few more, and it still did not work. Here are the exact steps I performed.

1. Uninstalled Google Chrome from Control Panel.
  2. Uninstalled Norton 360 Premiere, with the option to remove all data, from Control Panel. Reboot.
  3. Ran Norton Removal Tool. Reboot.
  4. Ran CCleaner, both file cleaner and registry options. Reboot.
  5. Installed Google Chrome and ensured it was current version 24.0.1312.56. Reboot.
  6. Downloaded and installed Norton 360 Premiere from My Account at manage.norton.com. Reboot.
  7. Ran LiveUpdate until it was at current version 20.2.1.22 and ‘No updates found’, rebooting as needed after each patch/download.
  8. Upon launching Chrome once again there is the error 'Could not load Norton Identity Safe'.

Since it is the weekend and I have more time, I am going to spend more time on this and try more things. If you have more suggestions please let me know.

Kudos0

Hi All,

Try this steps.

1. Remove the Norton product thru program features

2. Install the standalone identitysafe from www.identitysafe.norton.com

3. If successful (export your logins thru the desktop use .dat and .csv)

4. Reset the password of the Identity safe from the stand alone product

6. Run NRT

7. reinstall your Norton product

8. sign in to the IU of identitysafe

9. import your logins back

This is a bit lengthy process, but works around 70% all the time.

Kudos0

dred_lukz29 wrote:

Hi All,

Try this steps.

1. Remove the Norton product thru program features

2. Install the standalone identitysafe from www.identitysafe.norton.com

3. If successful (export your logins thru the desktop use .dat and .csv)

4. Reset the password of the Identity safe from the stand alone product

6. Run NRT

7. reinstall your Norton product

8. sign in to the IU of identitysafe

9. import your logins back

This is a bit lengthy process, but works around 70% all the time.

Thank you for this suggestion. I attempted it, but unfortunately it did not resolve my issue. When I install the standalone it does recognize I have a current vault and I am able to log in and change the password. However, once I launch Chrome the same problem occurs. It works fine in IE though.

In an effort to isolate what caused the sudden issue, I also checked the Windows Update history log. The last update was for Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 on Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 for x64-based Systems (KB2750149), Installation date: ‎01/‎16/‎2013 18:51. I believe this was before the problem started, plus I don't believe this specific update has anything to do with the potential issue. All previous updates were 01/08/2013 or earlier which occurred before the existing problem.

I also worked on a spare computer. It had a clean install of Windows 8 x64 with all current Windows Updates. I installed a fresh copy of Google Chrome Version 24.0.1312.56 from the start. I again downloaded and installed Norton 360 Premiere from My Account at manage.norton.com; which was already at current version 20.2.1.22. I rebooted and ran LiveUpdate until ‘No updates found’, rebooting as needed after each download. However, even on the spare, clean install computer, upon launching Chrome once again there is the error 'Could not load Norton Identity Safe'.

After doing all this, I am only left with the conclusion that there is a problem or incompatibility with a latest upgrade/push between N360 and Chrome. As I initially said, all was working fine for months then the error just all of sudden occurred. With one of the last automatic LiveUpdate pushs, there was and is some problem, either on Norton’s side or Google’s. Until someone can show me proof otherwise there are too many other people with the same scenario and coincidental timeline. Also, I have uninstalled/reinstalled both products far too many times and in far too many different variations, not to mention on a completely different system, for it not to be system isolated and in fact product specific.

Kudos0

So what is being done about this? It appears to be nothing.

Kudos0

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Can you try and gather log files for this problem, so I can send it to the concerned team?

Here is how you can collect it:

1) Visit the below site:
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-core/current/solutions/kb20080801181832EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
2) In the end, no files will be sent to Symantec automatically. You will be shown the location of the logs after you complete the form after hitting the "finish" button.
Let me know when you have the logs ready, I will help you to upload it.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Kudos0

OK ran that and collected the logs. Ready for the next step.

Kudos0

Hi,

Can you try this suggestion,

Remove and Reinstall of Norton Identity Protection plugin in chrome.

To remove Identity Protection plugin

1.Open Chrome and type chrome://settings/extensions in address bar

2.Click on recycle bin icon to remove for Norton Identity Protection

Follow below steps to add Norton Identity Protection plugin into chrome

1.Open N360  engine folder ( e.g.C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\<20.x.x.x>) X is the product version.

2.Go to "exts" folder and copy the chrome.crx file to  any other location

3. Open that file with WinRAR or 7Zip and extract all the contents to any folder.

4.Open Chrome and type chrome://settings/extensions in address bar

5 select  "Developer mode" using check mark  and click on "load unpacked extension"

6.Browse to the folder where you have extracted all the contents and Click OK

7.Now you will have Norton identity protection in chrome.

Check the issue again.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Senthil

Kudos0

Hello rozeguy,

I sent you a private message with the steps to upload the log file. Please look for a yellow envelope at the top-right corner for any community page.

Thanks!

Vineeth

Kudos0

Internal server error on Norton side if you log on to Norton web sit and try to log on there it will give you a internal server error at least it did for me

Kudos0

All of a sudden within the past day or so, the Norton Toolbar/Identity Safe will not load in Google Chrome. When
launching Chrome, or opening a new tab, there is the error 'Could not load Norton Identity Safe'. Previously all was
working fine. Nothing was changed, it just seemed to stop working. Running LiveUpdate confirms that I have the
current version and I have the latest updates. I attempted to resolve the issue via the AutoFix, but it found no
complications. I even went as far as uninstalling/re-installing Norton 360, but the problem still persisted. In an
effort to ensure there wasn't a problem or interference with any other extensions, I disabled all extensions but
the Norton Identity Protection 2013.2.1.36, however the problem still persisted. I upgraded Google Chrome while
troubleshooting to the current version, I was previously running 24.0.1312.52 when the problem started, but that
still hasn't fixed the issue. I'm at a loss as to why it would all of a sudden just stop working. Any guidance or

Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi,

Can you try this suggestion,

Remove and Reinstall of Norton Identity Protection plugin in chrome.

To remove Identity Protection plugin

1.Open Chrome and type chrome://settings/extensions in address bar

2.Click on recycle bin icon to remove for Norton Identity Protection

Follow below steps to add Norton Identity Protection plugin into chrome

1.Open N360  engine folder ( e.g.C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Engine\<20.x.x.x>) X is the product version.

2.Go to "exts" folder and copy the chrome.crx file to  any other location

3. Open that file with WinRAR or 7Zip and extract all the contents to any folder.

4.Open Chrome and type chrome://settings/extensions in address bar

5 select  "Developer mode" using check mark  and click on "load unpacked extension"

6.Browse to the folder where you have extracted all the contents and Click OK

7.Now you will have Norton identity protection in chrome.

Check the issue again.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Senthil

Senthil,

Thank you for this suggestion. I attempted it, but was not able to complete it. I was able to delete the current extension with no problem. However, I was not able to install/unpack the extension per your direction.

I found the extension in my directory, C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton 360 Premier Edition\Engine\20.2.1.22\Exts\Chrome.crx.

I copied the file to my Desktop. I then extracted the contents to a new Desktop folder as shown below:

However, upon trying to unpack the extension in developer mode I receive the following error:

To reinstall the extension I just used the standard method of drag/drop the extension to the extensions page. Unfortunately, the extension will still not load though.

Kudos2

After exhaustive searching, I finally found out what the problem is. Ultimately both Norton and Google are either going to be pointing fingers at each other or need to work together to fix it.

The problem is Chrome is suddenly requiring elevating UAC in order to run the extension. As I mentioned in previous posts, if when Chrome is normally run neither the standalone nor the N360 version of NIS would load. However, when Chrome is run with elevated UAC by selecting ‘Run as administrator’ both load and perform as expected. This is not a solution however! This ’fix’ would have to be performed every time, which is a hassle, but more importantly by running Chrome at this constant elevated state all the time is a security risk! An actual solution needs to be determined. It worked before so what changed for it to suddenly not work? Was it the recent Norton patch or Google version upgrade? Let me explain just what I found while trying to find the root of this problem.

Google Chrome typically installs itself in the default user folder in Windows.

For Windows XP, it’s

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\

For Windows Vista, it’s

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\

For Windows 7, it’s

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\

The reasoning why Chrome is not installed in the Program Files directory is that installing in the user folder allows the installation even when the user is not an administrator. It also helps to keep the browser’s settings, like extensions, personalized for each user. Also, if a user is or is not an administrator those privileges and rights are inherent to the user account. Keeping all that in mind, now look at how and where Chrome is installed in Windows 8.

For Windows 8 it seems to have changed because it is now

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\

or

C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\

This directory is used regardless of which installer I tried; the standard online installer, the offline single user or the offline multi-user. However, user specific data such as settings, cache, sync data and extension information is stored in the typical path C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\. I do not know why Google made this change in Windows 8, but for whatever reason appropriate UAC adjustments need to be made. Obviously user specific settings are being stored, but there seems to be a problem with the UAC settings. Like I said, ultimately Norton and/or Google need to work this out to resolve this issue.

Kudos0

OMG you are a genius! I ran Chrome as administrator and the toobar loads and runs just fine! Thank you for figuring this out.

Kudos0

rozeguy wrote:

OMG you are a genius! I ran Chrome as administrator and the toobar loads and runs just fine! Thank you for figuring this out.

No problem. It took a long time to finally figure it out. However, keep in mind this was just determining the problem and running Chrome like this is not a fix and can potentially lead to even more severe security issues. I don’t know if running Chrome at the elevated UAC just so NIS can load is worth the risk. Hopefully Norton will see my post and can determine an actual fix.

Kudos0

Thank you for doing the research. I've been scratching all over my butt to solve this problem since last 2 days. Identity Safe works fine in IE, but whatever the hell happened to it in Chrome!!! Now I know. I don't think Google will do something about it. Over to Symantec. I am so sick of these issues coming up time and again I am thinking of Bitdefending my system June onwards, which is when my Norton sub runs out. I don't want a bloody antivirus to consume so much of my life. I've better things to do.

Kudos0

My Norton Toolbar has disappeared in Chrome (v 24.0.1312.57).

I have tried senthilkumar's solution in #19. I get the error described by cjcostes (post #22).

I have started Chrome with elevating UAC according to cjcostes advice. Did not work. I have deactived UAC; did not work.

How can I regain the toolbar?

Have I lost some protection?

__________________________________________NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] / Win7x64Pro SP1 &amp; Win 8.1
Kudos0

JohnDissident wrote:

My Norton Toolbar has disappeared in Chrome (v 24.0.1312.57).

I have tried senthilkumar's solution in #19. I get the error described by cjcostes (post #22).

I have started Chrome with elevating UAC according to cjcostes advice. Did not work. I have deactived UAC; did not work.

How can I regain the toolbar?

Have I lost some protection?

Did you re-add the extension after deleting it from senthilkumr's steps? You have to manually add the extension back, short of reinstalling your entire Norton product again. I know this seems self-explanatory and I apologize if you remembered to, but this is the only thing I can think of. If you have, then you may want to try some of the other provided suggestions in this thread, like uninstall/reinstalling NIS.

Kudos0

What I did:

a) Started Chrome with elevating UAC

b) Deactivated UAC (and rebooted), then reactivated UAC (and rebooted)

c) Performed senthilkumar's steps, 1 to 6.

I got the message about the manifest_version key. The manifest.json file was not in accordance with developer.chrome.com/extensions/manifestVersion.html.

I have added the missing line ("manifest_version": 2,), but I am not sure WHERE to add the line. I have NOT tried the modified manifest.json.

In stead: I uninstalled Chrome, I downloaded a fresh copy of ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe from http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?standalone=1 and reinstalled Chrome. The result: Chrome v 24.0.1312.57 and a working Norton toolbarv 2013.2.1.36!!!!!

I do not know whether this is a Norton issue or a Chrome issue. I should like to hear senthilkumar's comment to the faulty manifest declaration.

__________________________________________NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] / Win7x64Pro SP1 &amp; Win 8.1
Kudos0

And yes. There is yet another solution. Uninstall Chrome. Install Firefox. That's it. Everything working now. I really think Chrome has peaked and is now heading into oblivion. IE is beginning to take back its share from Chrome.

Kudos0

Hi Johndissident,

In recent Chrome versions, Manifest version 1 was deprecated and the Manifest version 2 added in latest version.

"manifest_version": 2, needs to be added to  manifest.json to load extension, but background.html needs "manifest_version": 1 or lower. Chrome need to fix this issue

Those steps will work for Chrome 18 or lower.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi Johndissident,

In recent Chrome versions, Manifest version 1 was deprecated and the Manifest version 2 added in latest version.

"manifest_version": 2, needs to be added to  manifest.json to load extension, but background.html needs "manifest_version": 1 or lower. Chrome need to fix this issue

Those steps will work for Chrome 18 or lower.

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks,

Senthil.

Senthil,

Thanks for the response on why the extension won't load via developer mode. Is this also the root reason for the UAC issue, and ultimately the main subject of this thread?

Kudos0

Thanks, Senthil. According to your first edition of your reply, I added the line "manifest_version": 2, in manifest.json. This time I did not receive the error message, but a question: “Add "Norton Identity Protection"? It can: Access all data on your computer and the website you visit." I pressed <Add> and the extension screen was displayed, Norton Identity Protection 2013.2.1.36 was enabled, but there was an error message telling that "'background_page' requires manifest version of 1 or lower." (As described in your edited reply.) The toolbar was still not working. 'background.html' is a Symantec property?

I did several tries with uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling using the off-line installer ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe. I had success with this method the other day, but now it did not work. The setup package gave me a warning about something like “Your profile was not opened in a proper way...”, but the setup completed it's task, Chrome was reinstalled but without Norton Toolbar. I rebooted, ran Autofix; still not working. I tried to run the installer 'As administrator'.

Since ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe should be an off-line installer package, I was not connected to Internet. Again I uninstalled Chrome, restarted ChromeStandaloneSetup.exe but NOW WITH LOCAL NETWORK ENABLED. This time the profile message was not displayed! I rebooted, no Norton extension, I ran Autofix: “1 item repaired”, but no details!

However, Norton was back as an extension. And the Norton Toolbar worked!

There must be something weird with the Chrome setup.

Kudos0

Senthil,

I also modified the manifest.json file as John did and likewise did not get the error, but NIS is not loading or functioning. Here is a picture of the extension error.

Kudos0

Hi Cjcostes,

As I said in previous post, We have those issues while adding extensions manually into chrome.

The issues are,

Even if add manifest_version": 2 into manifest.json,this will load our extension in chrome, but it will not work since background.html needs "manifest_version": 1 or lower. 

Regarding UAC issue, The issue seems to be  occuring when we have  other extensions like Acrobat XI Pro.

More information available in this link http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/pAQV7-Yea2g

Do you have any extensions added in chrome?

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Even if add manifest_version": 2 into manifest.json,this will load our extension in chrome, but it will not work since background.html needs "manifest_version": 1 or lower. 

What is the meaning of “background.html needs manifest_version 1”? This file is created by Symantec? It's header reads:

// PROPRIETARY / CONFIDENTIAL.

// Use of this product is subject to license terms.

// Copyright © 2010 Symantec Corporation.

// All rights reserved.

Can the user modify this file in any way?

Are Symantec going to update background.html?

BTW, I think cjcostes is very well aware of the post at the Google forum 

Edit: 

Re cjcostes's post #11 about the Google Chrome folder: On my computer with Win7x64Pro Chrome.exe is installed in c:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application

Kudos0

senthilkumar wrote:

Hi Cjcostes,

As I said in previous post, We have those issues while adding extensions manually into chrome.

The issues are,

Regarding UAC issue, The issue seems to be  occuring when we have  other extensions like Acrobat XI Pro.

More information available in this link http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/pAQV7-Yea2g

Do you have any extensions added in chrome?

Thanks,

Senthil.

Senthil,

Yes I do have other extensions installed. As I mentioned in earlier posts, in order to alleviate the possibility of the issue being other extensions I disabled/deleted all other extensions. I already saw that thread you linked. Actually I am one of the contributors in that thread that is why I was able to determine the problem was a UAC issue. As far as Acrobat XI specifically, during my troubleshooting I uninstalled Acrobat. Then I proceeded to uninstall/install Chrome and N360, clean the registry and reboot as needed. So Acrobat was was never in the picture.

Kudos0

So no more details or assistance? Or is this going to be pushed of as a second party issue, i.e. Google, Adobe, Non-Norton?

Kudos0

nice information. thank you for sharing it.

thanks

packersm

Kudos0

John Dissident's solution (uninstalling Chrome and installing it using the stand-alone version) worked for me after accidentally uninstalling Norton Toolbar.

What didn't help was:

1. Uninstalling and reinstalling NIS;

2. Adding the extension manually (Norton staff should really stop recommending this as a fix because it simply doesn't work).

3. Uninstalling Chrome and reinstalling it with the downloader, since even though it restored the Norton Protection icon next to the address bar, it led me to the OP's error.

However, following John's recommendation (#33) after step 3 resolved my problem.

I hope this can be useful to other people out there.

Cheers!

Kudos0

I take my last post back: after shuting down my system for the night and powering up again today, NIS reverted back to the "Could not load Norton Identity Safe" nag message.

If anyone from Norton staff could post a fix that would be great.

Kudos1

Marventus wrote:

I take my last post back: after shuting down my system for the night and powering up again today, NIS reverted back to the "Could not load Norton Identity Safe" nag message.

If anyone from Norton staff could post a fix that would be great.

As you can imagine, I’ve been working on this for a while – both trying to determine just what the actual problem is and ultimately what is the fix. As I put in a previous post, the problem or cause of the error and NIS not loading is Chrome is requiring elevating UAC in order to run the extension. However, this is not the root or cause of the problem.

I completely wiped the system I’m having the problem on and installed all the software on it (including all the ones in questions, i.e. Windows 8 x64, Google Chrome, Adobe Acrobat XI, etc) back in Nov. It ran fine without error until the time I posted this thread. Between then and now something changed. Either the N360 patch/push, the Chrome upgrade, a Windows update, something else, or the interaction between any or all of them, who knows. Whatever it was, that is what the root problem is. However, I haven’t been able to isolate just what it was or when it occurred since both Chrome and N360 are several patches/upgrades past the version when the problem started. Also, just as I figured once it was determined to be a UAC issue no further support was provided, by Symantec or Google, and the problem was even deflected to another program.

The only way I was able to resolve this issue was first I did a Refresh (I’m running Windows 8 x64), which essentially wipes the OS of everything except for personal settings and data. Then I installed Google Chrome at the current version 24.0.1312.60. Then I installed N360 Premier Edition 20.2.1.22 from the start, with the Chrome extension Norton Identity Protection 2013.2.1.36. It only had to run LiveUpdate once before it was current. I then installed Adobe Acrobat XI, since it was brought up that Acrobat may be the cause of the UAC issue. Afterwards, upon running Chrome there was no error and NIS works as before. I ended up just starting from scratch and wiping clean, since a refresh leaves some old data.

Although I fixed the problem, one should not have to go to this extreme to resolve an error. I regularly work with multiple vendors and have to get and provide incident reports. It’s far more beneficial if all parties involved work together and troubleshoot to determine what the problem is in order to fix it in a timely manner instead of finger pointing at each other.

Kudos0

Norton needs to fix this. This is ridiculous that we have to go through all these hoops to make this work. Here is a fix for you, when my renewal comes up guess what...I am out.

Kudos0

Norton, are you going to do something about this or continue to putz around with a bunch of solutions that don't work?

Kudos1

The only fix that works for this is running Chrome with admin privileges, as it was suggested by cjcostes. However, I don't consider this a permanent or even an acceptable solution at all, but it will get you out this pickle.

Kudos0

cjcostes wrote:

Welcome,
it would appear that you have the latest version of Chrome but not of 360. I'd suggest running live update until the program tells you that you have downloaded and installed all of the updates. Then I would reboot and run it one more time.

Keep us posted

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21

Replies are locked for this thread.