• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Chrome very slow on "new tab" page

Ever since installing Norton Antivirus (2013), Chrome has been extremely slow navigating away from the default home page (the one with the 8 frequently used website thumbnails). It's OK when you first open Chrome because the Norton toolbar isn't showing. Once you've gone to a website and the toolbar has appeared, Chrome becomes very bogged down on the thumbnail page (which will now have the toolbar showing). If you're patient, it will eventually right itself but, more often than not, it's quicker to quit Chrome and restart it.

Is there a solution to this, other than making your home page an actual website?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page


mzanker wrote:

Ever since installing Norton Antivirus (2013), Chrome has been extremely slow navigating away from the default home page (the one with the 8 frequently used website thumbnails). It's OK when you first open Chrome because the Norton toolbar isn't showing. Once you've gone to a website and the toolbar has appeared, Chrome becomes very bogged down on the thumbnail page (which will now have the toolbar showing). If you're patient, it will eventually right itself but, more often than not, it's quicker to quit Chrome and restart it.

Is there a solution to this, other than making your home page an actual website?

Thanks,

Mike


no problem opening a new tab using norton
is my pc spec Duo core E5500/ 2GB Ram/ Win 8 / NIS 2013

Core i3-2310M Sandy Bridge/ 4GB Ram/ Win 8 64 bit/ NIS 2013
Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page

It's not "opening a new tab" that is the problem, it's having the toolbar active on the "thumbnail" page. Something about the thumbnails is giving the Norton toolbar a hard time (or vice versa). The whole browser gets really sluggish on that page.

Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page


mzanker wrote:

Ever since installing Norton Antivirus (2013), Chrome has been extremely slow navigating away from the default home page (the one with the 8 frequently used website thumbnails). It's OK when you first open Chrome because the Norton toolbar isn't showing. Once you've gone to a website and the toolbar has appeared, Chrome becomes very bogged down on the thumbnail page (which will now have the toolbar showing). If you're patient, it will eventually right itself but, more often than not, it's quicker to quit Chrome and restart it.

Is there a solution to this, other than making your home page an actual website?

Thanks,

Mike


Give cohbraz's solution a try:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/norton-toolbar-extension-in-google-chrome/m-p/858274#M6521



NS 22 / Win7x64Pro SP1 & NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] Win 8.1
Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page


JohnDissident wrote:

Give cohbraz's solution a try:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/norton-toolbar-extension-in-google-chrome/m-p/858274#M6521




Thanks but already tried that. It makes no difference whether the built-in flash or the flash from Adobe's website is being used.

It's only this one thumbnail page - general web browsing is fine with no slowness at all.

Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page

OK, have you tried to avoid the thumbnail page by setting opening page to 'about:blank'?



NS 22 / Win7x64Pro SP1 & NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] Win 8.1
Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page


JohnDissident wrote:

OK, have you tried to avoid the thumbnail page by setting opening page to 'about:blank'?




Sure, that will work - but I *want* the thumbnail page as my home page :)

Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page


mzanker wrote:

It's not "opening a new tab" that is the problem, it's having the toolbar active on the "thumbnail" page. Something about the thumbnails is giving the Norton toolbar a hard time (or vice versa). The whole browser gets really sluggish on that page.


Hi Mzanker,

 

Something here seems very wrong. It sounds like you have the New Tab Page set to open at startup, which is Ok. The new tab page has the 8 frames (thumbnails), that show the most or last visited websites. That being said, by design, the Norton Toolbar should not show on this page.

 

Just like when you open Settings, Extensions, History, Plugins, etc. the toolbar doesn't appear on those pages either. That is also by design. The toolbar should appear on web pages only.

 

I have a standard web page set as my home page. When the browser is opened, the toolbar appears like it should. Most of the time I open bookmarks in a new tab like most do.

 

When I open the New Tab page, it opens showing the 8 frames like it should, and also not showing the Norton toolbar like it shouldn't. Soon as that tab is closed, the toolbar appears on the web page I'm on.

 

Try running Norton Autofix to check your Norton installation to see if there are any issues.

 

Click .. Support > Get Support to run the scan.

 

 

 

Ed

Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page

Hi Ed,

try setting the New Tab page as your home page. If you then go to a standard web page, then select the Home icon in the toolbar, you'll go back to the New Tab page but WITH the Norton toolbar.

If I set a standard web page as my home page then all is OK - when I open a new tab, I get the New Tab page but WITHOUT the toolbar, as it should be.

What would be nice is if the toolbar would disappear when going back to the home page when the home page is set to the New Tab page.

Mike

Kudos0

Re: Chrome very slow on "new tab" page


mzanker wrote:

Hi Ed,

try setting the New Tab page as your home page. If you then go to a standard web page, then select the Home icon in the toolbar, you'll go back to the New Tab page but WITH the Norton toolbar.

If I set a standard web page as my home page then all is OK - when I open a new tab, I get the New Tab page but WITHOUT the toolbar, as it should be.

What would be nice is if the toolbar would disappear when going back to the home page when the home page is set to the New Tab page.


Hi Mike,

 

Very true! I tested this with my Chrome browser today. I set the New Tab page as the home page temporarily. Restarted the computer and opened Chrome. The new tab page opened like it should being it was set as the home page. Also without the toolbar on opening.

 

Upon navigating to other websites, the toolbar appeared like it should. Upon returning to the temporary home page, the New Tab page, via the home button, the toolbar stayed in place which I find very odd. Simply because the new tab page is not a web page, so the toolbar shouldn't appear.

 

I've never run into this issue before or heard from anyone else, because most will have whatever web page as their home page. This is a first for me concerning Chrome. The best I can surmise is setting the new tab page as home, is the reason for the toolbar appearing, even though it shouldn't.

 

In addition, when going to other websites and back to the new tab page, I didn't experience any lag or bog downs, for what that may be worth 

 

In the end, I set my home page back. It's your choice, but maybe you might consider another page for your home page and avoid the problems.

 

 

 

Ed

Replies are locked for this thread.