• All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Web Attack: Exploit Toolkit Website 4 Blocked by NIS

Hi everyone,

NIS has blocked above attack coming from ad.spreamedia.it

I have run NIS full scan and MBAM full scan: both clean.

Hope that’s enough…

At the time of the attack I was not on spreamedia site - I didn’t even know it existed ! -, I was 

instead Chrome browsing sites I visit very often,  so I wonder how it reached my pc.

Besides, Norton Safe Web gives it as “Safe Site”.  How is that possible ? Another User has just had this very same attack, see here:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Do-you-know-who-this-ad-spreamedia-it-and-exploit-toolkit/m-p/897077/highlight/true#M230025

Advices and/or explanations are most welcome. Thanks.

Rainbow_2

Windows XP HE, NIS 20.2.1.22, MBAM free version, Chrome, IE8, Firefox (all updated)

NO JAVA (uninstalled a few months ago and never missed it).

Replies

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Re: Web Attack: Exploit Toolkit Website 4 Blocked by NIS

As long as Norton blocked it you do not need to worry. This is why you have Norton on your system.

As to how the exploit gets onto a site you are visiting, that is up to the malware writers to tell you. That is what they do, infect web  sites. Norton Safe Web may not have had any reports of this issue with the site as the malware may have only been there for a day.

If you have Norton Community Watch enabled in your product, it will be reported to Norton and the Safe Web info will get updated.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Hi peterweb,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Yes, Norton Community Watch is enabled on my NIS, however Norton Safe Web should have known about this threat since the other User's post dated 01-22 (link in my previous post), obviously assuming NCW was enabled also in his/her product.  Anyway, hope it won't take too long for the update.

Regards.

_______

Windows XP HE SP3, NIS 20.2.1.22, MBAM free version, Chrome, IE8, Firefox (all updated)

Kudos0

I do not know how long a submission takes to be sent to Norton, analysed, and the appropriate lists updated and distributed via LiveUpdate.

Unfortunately, I cannot open the link in your first post. I just goes to the main Norton Community page. Maybe the post was removed for some reason.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Hi peterweb,

Thanks, I understand, so lets wait for Norton Safe Web Lists to be updated.

As to my link, you are right. I must have made a mistake.

If I click it, I get the warning "You are about to leave the Norton Community to visit a website outside of the Symantec.com ... etc. etc.".  I prefer not to click the "OK" button, so I don't kow what site it would take me to.

That was the first time I inserted a link, and the last one for the time being! Before, I must read again (once more!  the instructions hoping I understand where I went wrong.

Regards.

Replies are locked for this thread.