• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Does NIS 2013 work?

I've used NIS on my XP PC for some years without any problems. Two months ago I was offered a free update to NIS2013 by Symantec.  After numerous attempts to install it never worked.  I did four separate LiveChats with Symantec Support where they repeated the uninstall and reinstall.  Didn't work.  Then I saw the problems others reported on this forum about problems with NIS 2013, so I went back to NIS 2012 and its been fine.

Now my licence runs out in a month and I'm wondering if the bugs in NIS 2013 have been fixed, or is it still a work in progress?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Does NIS 2013 work?

I've used NIS on my XP PC for some years without any problems. Two months ago I was offered a free update to NIS2013 by Symantec.  After numerous attempts to install it never worked.  I did four separate LiveChats with Symantec Support where they repeated the uninstall and reinstall.  Didn't work.  Then I saw the problems others reported on this forum about problems with NIS 2013, so I went back to NIS 2012 and its been fine.

Now my licence runs out in a month and I'm wondering if the bugs in NIS 2013 have been fixed, or is it still a work in progress?

Kudos0

Hello MyUser1

Welcome to the Norton Commmunity

I am using NIS 2013 with my xp pro computer without any problems. I would say it depends on which parts of the program you use. I have had certain parts of the program disabled since I started using the program when System Works was discontinued because I have no need for those parts. I am using what I consider to be the main parts of the program.

Success always occurs in private and failure in full view.
Kudos0

Great, which version of the NIS are you currently using?

The main problem I had was that shortly (anything from a 1 day to 1 hour) after installing NIS disappeared from the tray in the bottom right hand corner.  Initially I could restart it from the START menu but it then forced me to do the reinstall again; eventually it  disappeared from START but was still there because you could see it from ControlPanels>AddPrograms.   At the time Symantec said it was bug that they were aware of and each Support Staff re-assured me that it had been fixed.

What did you mean when you said "it depends on which parts of the program you use"?  Which parts of the program still have an issue.

Kudos0

Did they or you ever run the Norton Removal tool (this is not remove-reinstall tool) between de-install and install?

W8.1 Update 1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 and FF 32.0.2, TB 31.1.1, NIS2014 21.5.0.19 and N360 21.5.0.19, Android 4.2 with NMS 3.8
Kudos0

Yes I ran NRT twice and then on each of the four LiveChat installs the Symantec Support person ran it too.  I then found on here many users complaining of the same problem.  So I used NRT to remove it and re-install NIS2012, not a problem since.

Replies are locked for this thread.