• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

phony emails from my Yahoo contacts

Recently I began getting phony emails from people in my Yahoo email contacts list.  The subject line is always "Hi" and when I open the email, it says something like "check this out" and then it gives a link to some website I'm not familiar with.  I never clicked on the links, I just deleted the emails.

Norton 360 indicated there were no problems with my computer security.  I'm trying to understand if my computer itself has been "hacked" (whatever that means), or if it isn't my computer that's been hacked, it's my Yahoo account somewhere out there in Cyberspace.  I just did a Full Scan with 360, it said it found 93 problems and resolved all of them. 

Can anyone address whether my computer itself was compromised by this problem?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: phony emails from my Yahoo contacts

stephenjo wrote:

Recently I began getting phony emails from people in my Yahoo email contacts list.  The subject line is always "Hi" and when I open the email, it says something like "check this out" and then it gives a link to some website I'm not familiar with.  I never clicked on the links, I just deleted the emails.

Norton 360 indicated there were no problems with my computer security.  I'm trying to understand if my computer itself has been "hacked" (whatever that means), or if it isn't my computer that's been hacked, it's my Yahoo account somewhere out there in Cyberspace.  I just did a Full Scan with 360, it said it found 93 problems and resolved all of them. 

Can anyone address whether my computer itself was compromised by this problem?

Welcome,
It sounds like your address book in your yahoo email account has been compromised.

I would also expect that your contacts are getting similar emails from you.

To resolve this, we're going to close the barn door after all of the animals have departed.

First, change your yahoo email password. Use a STRONG password so it will be harder to crack next time. Then change all of the security question responses. This will remove any attempt at creating a backdoor into your account. After that you might want to consider using an email client like thunderbird, it's free. Copy your address book into your local client and delete it on yahoo.

This will put your address behind your Norton smart firewall. It wil also scan your incoming emails for problems.

You might want to email your contacts and tell them what happened and apologize.

Keep us posted

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

Hi stephenjo,

How many separate contacts are you getting these messages from?  Would these contacts be in each other's address books?  If you are receiving thesemessages  from the contacts, rather than sending them to the contacts or having them bounce back, then the problem is probably on their end, not yours - especially if none of your contacts has complained to you about receiving spammy messages from "you."

Kudos0

I've gotten these phony emails from three of my contacts in the last two or three days.  I haven't heard from any of them that they're getting phony messages from me.  At least two of the three are in each other's contacts (they know each other well).  So perhaps you are right, the problem may be on one of their ends, rather than my end.

I did change my password and security questions, as another post suggested.

Kudos0

Yes, it does sound like one of your friends' email account was compromised and their address book was harvested.  The spammers are likely forging the names they obtained from the contact list in the "From" fields of the messages they are sending, so that the email appears to come from people you know (even though the messages are not actually being sent from their accounts).  Since you were also in the contact list, it is possible that your name may also be used - so don't be too surprised or worried if some of your mutual contacts get some of this mail that appears to come from you.  It does not sound like your email account was hacked, and your computer is almost certainly not involved - so there is nothing really that you need to do or even could do.  Spammers generally abandon spoofed addresses rather quickly, so this should largely resolve itself in a short time.

Kudos0

I have just had the same problem.  Phony emails have been sent to all the people to whom I have sent emails from my Yahoo account.  These are more than the number of people in my contacts list.  None of these phony emails have appeared in the Sent folder.  My computer has not been compromised since I have two other email accounts which have not been used.

I have changed my password now.  However, it would seem that this is a Yahoo problem not a user problem.  Could this be so?

Kudos0

Compromised email accounts are pretty common and can happen for a number of reasons, so the following may not be applicable to your situation, but Yahoo does have a problem at the moment:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2026798/email-attack-exploits-vulnerability-in-yahoo-site-to-hijack-accounts.html

Kudos0

Thank you, SendofJive.  This would seem to be exactly the problem.  I would imagine that logging out immediatley would also help to solve the problem.  Thanks again

Kudos0

indeed, thanks to all for your help.  That explains it.

Replies are locked for this thread.