• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Where Is my Vault?

Where Is my Vault? Why was I not informed by popup this would happen? and How in the Seven Hells can I recover my data to load online????

I put my laptop into hibernate last night now tonight i find myself devoid of all of my login and card info with seemingly no way to recover it and with absolutely NO prompt this would happen prior to an update to the latest Norton 360.

Poor form Symantec, poor form.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Where Is my Vault?

To get you the best advice, would you give us some more information about your system:

What version of Windows are you using including Service Packs and whether 32 bit or 64 bit as well as the Norton 360 edition (Standard / Premier / Gold) and Version ID -- Help or Support / About is where that ID is, in the format of nn.nn.nn.nnn where n is a number.

If you have the COMCAST version of Norton 360 / Security Suite and not the normal retail version please be sure to tell us.

If you get any error messages please give the exact wording of them as well as any other background that could be helpful.

Please also say what internet browser you are using -- name and version number ...

Hugh
Kudos0

Regarding your last post:

Win7 Home Premium 32bit SP1

Norton 360 Premier (2012) updated to v20.2.1.22 via patch.

I did have an error message when applying the patch but I can't remember what it was now and Norton appeared to run a automatic fix on the error. Is there a way to recall it in some sort of log?

I'm thinking perhaps if I use a system retore point from before this update I can upload my vault and then upgrade to the newest version and hope that the error doesn't come up again???

Kudos0

Oh, lastly Firefox version 18.0.2. I used to have problems with the toolbar being removed from new versions of firefox but that was always fixed by 360 updates and NEVER made my vault contents disappear.

I was under the impression that even though 360 has now moved to online vault storage it would've been intelligent enough to at least ask if I wanted my old version vault uploaded to online to avoid this very problem.

Kudos0

I have just tried to use my other PC to get a copy of logins and they have disappeared too. I know for a fact that has not received an update in a few weeks. What the Hell is going on?

Plus Now my backup restoration will not accept my password.

This is now officially a farce Symantec. What the hell have you done with my data?

Kudos0

This is completely unacceptible in this day and age to have LOST ALL of my login data with absolutely no option to backup, restore, convert or otherwise.

Will you reimburse me if someone has taken my data? Or is able to in the future because it is lurking somewhere only a hacker can find?

Kudos0

If this doesn't get fixed to my satisfaction and soon you shall not be receiving anymore custom from either myself or anyone I happen to talk about this software. I will not be recommending Symantec products any further as they are increasingly becoming less and less reliable. Counter intuitive when considering updates are supposed to make things better, safer, more secure etc etc.

Kudos0

A reply sometime today would be nice.

Kudos0

I have also attem,pted to reinstall the old version of 360 from CD. Still no local vault info.

Kudos0

Andrew,

Thanks for the addtional information.

I would strongly suggest not doing a System Restore since it is known that this can break security programs -- not just Norton -- because the system ends up with a mix of old and new files that do not agree with what the security program has been tracking to detect malware invasion .....

Please don't do anything without some guidance from one of the gurus who knows Norton 360 and the Identity Safe vault since I am fairly certain that there is a hidden file of data that may restore what you need even in the V20/2013 version which does not provide the local vault unless installed on top of a version with it in place.

Please do not get impatient -- we are volunteers here and many of us are on different time zones -- but I'm flagging this thread for help from those with experience on this problem.

Hugh
Kudos0

Ok, apologies. But I'm sure you can understand my frustration. I have a great many logins and while I do have a backup from a month or 2 ago I can't even access that because for some reason Norton won't accept the password I'm fairly positive is the right one.

Though I've been hearing disturbing things such as Symantec knew this would happen, didn't tell anyone and did nothing to remedy the situation. Which in my book is deplorable.

Kudos0

andrewturner59 wrote:

I have also attem,pted to reinstall the old version of 360 from CD. Still no local vault info.

Hi andrewturner59,

Please tell us how you removed the old version of N 360 - which was in reality 20.2.1.22 the most current version?  Did you pop in the old cd and permit it to remove the older version or did it in fact not permit you to do anything tellikng you that you already had a newer version installed?

Please answer the question and also do not attempt  any more uninstall, reinstall or anything until we can figure out where you are at right now and which version of N 360 is installed at present.

Kudos0

Andrew,

You are not the only one to get frustrated with computers!

You are in very good hands with Yank now and please follow his suggestions (sometimes suggestions here are like "When you jump out of an aircraft it is suggested you pull the rip cord ..... <s>) .

<< Though I've been hearing disturbing things such as Symantec knew this would happen, didn't tell anyone and did nothing to remedy the situation.  >>

As someone said, "Don't believe all you hear and only half of what you see"

I'll be watching with interest to see how it all goes.

Hugh
Kudos0

Moved to own thread for better exposure.
Kudos0

Uninstalled via control panel and kept settings. Then popped in my cd to reinstall the older version of 360. Upon install and reopening vault stil no logins. I only tried this as others had had sucess with that method.

Kudos0

andrewturner59 wrote:

Uninstalled via control panel and kept settings. Then popped in my cd to reinstall the older version of 360. Upon install and reopening vault stil no logins. I only tried this as others had had sucess with that method.

Thanks for the info Andrew.  Now tell us if you are back on version 20.2.1.22 (Support > About from Main pageof N 360).  If not, please run LiveUpdate (rebooting when requested) until LiveUpdate responds "no updates found". 

Once you get there try to open your vault, see if you have any log-ins showing. 

Once we get that info, e'll go a bit farther trying to figure this out for you. 

I know, alot of questions - but please be patient with us as we need to gather all the info we can to assist you. 

Kudos1

Back to 20.2.1.22. No local logins still. Backup will not accept my password to import either.

Why did this happen in the first place? Surely there should've been provision to backup or upload logins during the update process to 20.2.1.22. A hell of a lot of people have lost their entiore vault contents just Like I have and no-one is getting straight answers as far as I can tell. Even a curtesy email before this update to say 'please back up your crap before the newest 360 version is applied to your machine because it will muller your data', would've been a tad inconvenient, but at least a complete vault wipe could've been avoided. You cannot tell me that beta testing of the 20.2.1.22 didn't bring up this very issue when hundreds of not thousands of people are affected in the exact same way.

I probably sound snotty in that last para, I'm not I'm just wanting a discussion with some form of satisfactory answer. Even if that answer is 'sorry, our bad, we **bleep**ed up and don't know how to fix it'. Not ideal but better than an info stone wall like the majority are getting.

Kudos0

andrewturner59 wrote:

Back to 20.2.1.22. No local logins still. Backup will not accept my password to import either.

Why did this happen in the first place? Surely there should've been provision to backup or upload logins during the update process to 20.2.1.22. A hell of a lot of people have lost their entiore vault contents just Like I have and no-one is getting straight answers as far as I can tell. Even a curtesy email before this update to say 'please back up your crap before the newest 360 version is applied to your machine because it will muller your data', would've been a tad inconvenient, but at least a complete vault wipe could've been avoided. You cannot tell me that beta testing of the 20.2.1.22 didn't bring up this very issue when hundreds of not thousands of people are affected in the exact same way.

I probably sound snotty in that last para, I'm not I'm just wanting a discussion with some form of satisfactory answer. Even if that answer is 'sorry, our bad, we **bleep**ed up and don't know how to fix it'. Not ideal but better than an info stone wall like the majority are getting.

Once lost, you'll need to revert to a 19.x (2012) version in order to reestablish your local vault.  After you've done so, my guess is that you'll be able to import your previous backup.

At that point you can then decide whether or not you want to try upgrading(?) again to the current 2013 variant - something I personally don't recommend doing (for obvious reasons) - that is, unless you're willing to consider switching to some other firm's web-form filler solution (i.e.: Lastpass, RoboForm, etc.).

Kindest regards,

John

Kudos0

@avjohnie

That's the most helpful thing I've heard all week.

Kudos0

andrewturner59 wrote:

@avjohnie

That's the most helpful thing I've heard all week.

So now andrew - it's time to tell us what you would like to do.

Do you want to try to retreive your logins using the version you have installed?

If so I would ask if you have tried to create an online vault or not?  Settings > Identity Protection > Identity Safe Setup> Configure [?]  I'm thinking that if you can create an online vault, it will pull in all the logins you already have.  Then you'll be able to log-in, Export ( in CSV) and save to a safe spot.  At that pioint in time you can revert to N 360  2012 and re-establish your Local Vault.

Or you could just revert and as John guesses be able to Import your previous backup.

The choice is yours - let us know what you decide.

Kudos0

Moved to own thread for better exposure.

Replies are locked for this thread.