• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Toolbar missing in Firefox

Good morning!

I ran Live Update last night and got an update that required a restart. I did so . This morning when I logged on, my Norton Toolbar is missing. in Firefox. It is still present in IE.

Can anyone help and tell me why it's gone? I use it to log in to Identity Safe and I need it back ASAP.

Thanks for any help.

I have Norton 360 v.6.4.1.14, Firefox 18.0.2, Vista Home Premium.64 bit.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Toolbar missing in Firefox

Hi Carolinagirl,

Run Live update repeatedly  until it shows "no updates found" and reboot the system whenever it requires.

In FF-> go tools ->Addons ->Extensions-> Enable Norton Toolbar  addons if it was disabled and Restart FF then check the behavior again.

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos0

Thanks for the reply, Senthil.

I ran Live Update like you requested, rebooted, and followed your instructions, however, the Toolbar is not disabled.

Kudos0

Toolbar might be in hidden mode.

In FF,Go to  menu-> Click on view->Toolbars-> Check Norton toolbar with ticmark.

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos1

One more thing that may help...when I right click in the area where the toolbar is supposed to be, Norton Toolbar is NOT in the list of options. The Navigation Toolbar and Bookmarks Toolbar is there but no Norton.

Kudos0

Sorry but we eem to have replied at the same time. I tried that and it is not even listed in the options..it's like Norton Tolbar has disappeared.

Kudos0

Can you provide the screenshot of FF->Addons->Extensions?

Regards,

Senthil.

Kudos0

I am sorry for some reason I can not get it to attatch. I have to go now and will be gone for a few hours but I will check this thread as soon as I return. Thanks for all of your help.

I will try more when I get home later this morning.

Kudos0

Okay, it's back! I logged on when I returned home and the Norton Toolbar has returned!

Strange but I'm not complaining!

If I knew what caused it to return, I would post a solution but just as it disappeared, it reappeared on it's own.

Thanks so much for your willingness to help me. It is appreciated.

Kudos0

It's gone again! What is going on here?

I had to shut my PC down and when I rebooted, the toolbar is missing again!

Here is the  screenshot that you asked for earlier.

Kudos0

CarolinaGirl wrote:

It's gone again! What is going on here?

I had to shut my PC down and when I rebooted, the toolbar is missing again!

Here is the  screenshot that you asked for earlier.

Same here see other post  ref :- toolbar

Kudos1

I saw that post also. I didn't want to post there because of the different versions of Norton. I believe this thread was started first and I didn't want to interfere with that one.

I have 360 and I believe the person that started the other thread had NIS.

Kudos0

CarolinaGirl wrote:

I saw that post also. I didn't want to post there because of the different versions of Norton. I believe this thread was started first and I didn't want to interfere with that one.

I have 360 and I believe the person that started the other thread had NIS.

Apologies....I was being lazy and did not want to reprint my reply to that post.....Incidently I too have 360

Kudos0

No need to be sorry, minddrifter. 

I appreciate your reply and am glad to know that I'm not the only one with 360 that's having this problem.

Coincendently, Firefox 19 has been released but I am a little leery to d/l it until this problem is solved or will it solve the problem if I go ahead and d/l Firefox 19. I see no posts about Norton Toolbar compatibility with Firefox 19.

Edit: scratch that  last sentence, I see the post about the compatibility with the new Firefox.

Kudos0

I am using Firefox 19.0 and Norton Toolbar no issues here.

But you shouldn't have to update to Firefox 19.0 for Norton Toolbar to work.

If it keeps disappearing it sounds like something is preventing Firefox from saving your settings. Or Firefox isn't being closed correctly allowing time for settings to save. Do you exit it by clicking "X" or do you just restart your PC/laptop?

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit / Norton Internet Security v.21.x
Kudos0

I close the browser completely by clicking on the "X".  When I logged on first thing this morning, it was gone, when I closed the browser and logged on again after an hour or so, it was there. I had to uninstall a program that I didn't need anymore so I closed the browser again, ran ATF, rebooted and it was gone again. I rebooted yet again and now it's there.

I wouldn't think that it's how I am closing the browser, it has to be something with Norton. This is just my best guess as I'm no techie. Also, I'm not the only one, it seems, to be having this issue.

I did not have this problem until I ran Live Update last night and whatever update I received, required a restart. Last night after the restart, the toolbar was there, this morning, nothing.

Kudos0

You mention logging off and onto Windows. Do you have multiple Windows accounts? If so, I wonder if the other users having issues have the same.

Also it seems like the one commonality is Firefox 18.0

Kudos0

It's pointing more towards being a problem with the version of Firefox. I bet if you updated to Firefox 19.0 your problems would disappear.

Most likely this is something Symantec needs to address. Sounds like a mistake was made in this Norton Toolbar update in regards to Firefox builds 18.x and 17.x

Kudos0

I have FF18.0.2 and FF19 with NIS2012 and the toolbar is missing in FF18.0.2 but is OK in FF19. It does apear in add-ons and enabled on both versions of FF. I always install new versions of FF in its own directory but use the same profile, then remove the older version after using the new version for a while.

Jim

Kudos0

Thanks for your input, PhoneMan.

Hi SGFC,

You mention logging off and onto Windows. I'm not sure I know what you mean by this but ,I primarily use Firefox for my browser but I also have IE9. I never use it though, unless there's a problem with Firefox. When I logged on this morning and the Norton Toolbar wasn't visible in Firefox, I opened IE to see if it was visible using it. It was.

If this is a problem with Firefox 18, I can't help but wonder why it just started when I have had FF18 since Jan. 8, and 18.0.2 since Feb 5?

Kudos0

This problem is due to the update for Norton Toolbar just released.

So far we know Norton Toolbar works fine with Firefox 19.0. With Firefox 18.0 and probably 17.0 there is this disappearing Toolbar issue.

Like PhoneMan said everything works fine with Firefox 19 but not 18.

So either you could install Firefox 19 or wait until this issue is corrected by Symantec via LiveUpdate.

Kudos0

Okay, I updated to Firefox 19. We'll see how it goes. (fingers crossed)

Thank you all for your time and advice.

Kudos0

Let us know if it doesn't work.

Kudos0

Will do!

Thanks again!!

Kudos0

Just throwing my 2 cents in on the topic ... I was running FF17 and ran into the same problem.  Win 7 x64.   After the update, the toolbar would appear/dissapear from reboot to reboot.  Note this was FF17 and NOT FF18.  I updated to FF19 and so far the problem has been resolved.

I'm not exactly happy will updating to FF19 so quickly as I I like to wait unitl the release looks stable ... but so far so good, and the toolbar is back in working order.  Seems to be an issue with FF17/18

Kudos2

UPDATE:

Hi All,

Sorry for the issue you are facing.

We are able to reproduce the issue and tracking with a defect. The issue is toolbar  not appearing in  every alternate reboot and we are facing this issue only  in FF18.x and FF17.x .  Please try upgrading to latest version(FF19)(if you haven't updated) since we will not see this issue in FF19

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Senthil.

Kudos0

Happened to me for the first time in FF19. Fix?

Kudos0

Hi All,

We have released a patch to fix this issue.

See more information from this thread http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Norton-Toolbar-HOTFIX-for-Chrome-25-and-FF18-issues/m-p/926323/highlight/true#M9493

Thanks,

Senthil

Replies are locked for this thread.