• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Switching computers

I want to give my netbook to my son to replace a malfunctioning laptop. I have a couple of questions concerning the NIS Product Keys:

1) If my son chooses "Renew Subscription" and enters his own Product Key, will that automatically "free up" one installation for my Product Key?

2) If my son disposes of his laptop, how does he "remove" his Product Key from it to "free up" the installation for use on another computer?

Thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Switching computers

Jnazzaro wrote:

I want to give my netbook to my son to replace a malfunctioning laptop. I have a couple of questions concerning the NIS Product Keys:

1) If my son chooses "Renew Subscription" and enters his own Product Key, will that automatically "free up" one installation for my Product Key?

A new Product Key will start a new subscription period.  You will loose remaining days. Only removing the product will free up one install.  

2) If my son disposes of his laptop, how does he "remove" his Product Key from it to "free up" the installation for use on another computer?   Uninstall the product.

That said ...you can manage installs here  or your mynortonaccount or via Live Chat

NIS21.6 VistaSP2 FF33 IE9 Compaq A931NR
Kudos1

I'm assuming that your son already has a key for NIS that he can use -- it has to be for the same product and not for NAV or N360 to work on NIS but the years do not have to match although if he has a 2013 key and your installation is 2012 there have been some reported glitches that again the Norton OnLine Support will fix by giving him a new key.

When your son enters a different key that will behave like a new installation and wipe out any unexpired time ON THAT COMPUTER. It probably won't cancel the activation but there are two easy ways to do this:

1 -- Contact Norton OnLine Support via the CHAT link as below; this uses the computer keyboard not the phone and means that Norton can check the history of activations. They have a good reputation from users and have the tools to deal with activation and subscriptions.

2 -- You can install the Norton Management utililty by clicking on Account on the main screen and following instructions. With that you can deactivate an installation and give user friendly names to computers so that they are easily identified. This answers your second question <s> He should probably uninstall Norton when he disposes of the computer in order to remove the link to the MyNortonAccount that contains the information about your installations.

Note that since you activated with your email address and password that will apply to the installation on that computer so if you want to use an activation on a computer to replace the one you give him they will all be on the same MyNortonAccount -- up to you to decide if that's OK with you or not.

If you want to make that computer and its records independent of yours then probably the best bet is for him to follow Step 1 and ask Support to help him set up a new MyNortonAccount with his email address and password and use the "his Key" referred to in your message.

To contact customer support Click on this link https://www.norton.com/chat   and work on from there.

I hope that is clear but if not please shout ...

Please let us know how you get on ....

Hugh
Kudos0

Thanks for the info.

Some additional information:

1. I'm not concerned with losing days on "my" Norton Key. I plan to not use that Key in the future (I have another that's good for about 3 yrs and If I buy another computer some day I'll purchase another key.

2. My son has an existing key, and  I'd like the installation of his existing key to show up on his account. Is  the only way to do that by contacting Norton support? Any other ideas?

Thanks

Kudos0

Jnazzaro wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Some additional information:

1. I'm not concerned with losing days on "my" Norton Key. I plan to not use that Key in the future (I have another that's good for about 3 yrs and If I buy another computer some day I'll purchase another key.

2. My son has an existing key, and  I'd like the installation of his existing key to show up on his account. Is  the only way to do that by contacting Norton support? Any other ideas?

Thanks

1 -- OK Just to understand: you do have another computer apart from the one going to your son and it is protected with Norton?

2 -- So your son has a key for the same product as is on the computer already? Has he used it to activate any computers yet? Does he have a MyNortonAccount already?

When your son has the compter he should click on Subscribe/Renew or whatever it says and wait for the words Have Existing Key (or equivalent), enter the key he has and then he should make sure that he logs onto his existing MyNortonAccount  where he will see whatever he has listed there but not the one you are giving him and complete the activation there.

I'm not exactly sure of the sequence or the exact wording and it may depend on the Year version but it's along those lines.

He should not need to contact Norton OnLine Support unless something does not work, in which case let us know.

Hope that deals with it ....

Hugh
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:
1 -- OK Just to understand: you do have another computer apart from the one going to your son and it is protected with Norton?

2 -- So your son has a key for the same product as is on the computer already? Has he used it to activate any computers yet? Does he have a MyNortonAccount already?

When your son has the compter he should click on Subscribe/Renew or whatever it says and wait for the words Have Existing Key (or equivalent), enter the key he has and then he should make sure that he logs onto his existing MyNortonAccount  where he will see whatever he has listed there but not the one you are giving him and complete the activation there.

I'm not exactly sure of the sequence or the exact wording and it may depend on the Year version but it's along those lines.

He should not need to contact Norton OnLine Support unless something does not work, in which case let us know.

Hope that deals with it ....

Sorry I was vague. I'll try and explain better.

1. My son has existing product key used on a laptop that is ready for the scap heap (but still useable until he discards it)

2. I have 2 product keys. One of them is used on 3 of my computers, the other is used on the netbook I want to give him. I'm willing to just let that second product key expire after I give my son the netbook.

3. From your instructions, I now know how to delete the subscription for the netbook (my second product key) in my Norton account (using manage.norton.com).

4. When I give my son the netbook, I'd like for him to be able to -

a. Delete the subscripton (if necessary; I don't know how many computers  are currently using his product key) used on the laptop he's going to discard.

b. Enter his product key on the netbook and somehow have it show up on his account.

From your last post, it looks like, after  he enters the key, he will have an opportunity to log into his own account to complete the activation, which should result in both my and his accounts having the correct information.

I apologize if there's something I'm  missing about the  process. If things  don't go as planned, I'll probably contact Norton support (it actually wouldn't be that big of a deal if it turns out to be easier for me just to "carry" my son's subscription on my account, but I like to have things as orderly as possible).

Thanks

Kudos0

No problem ...

<<  4. When I give my son the netbook, I'd like for him to be able to -

a. Delete the subscripton (if necessary; I don't know how many computers are currently using his product key) used on the laptop he's going to discard. >>

I think he would do exactly what you do for Item 3 ?

<<  b. Enter his product key on the netbook and somehow have it show up on his account.

From your last post, it looks like, after he enters the key, he will have an opportunity to log into his own account to complete the activation, which should result in both my and his accounts having the correct information. <<

This sounds right but I'm not certain of what order entering the key and accessing the MyNortonAccount come up ....

If you both install the Norton Management utility then it should be fairly simple since it will show individual computers and the version of Norton installed on them.

And if all else fails then .... CHAT ....

Please let us know how it goes.

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.