• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Snap.do removal - Please help

I seem to have been targeted by the snap.do virus. I can't get rid of it from Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

I have ran Norton Scans and it does not pick it up.

Can anyone please advise me on how to remove it from my computer.

Thanks

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Snap.do removal - Please help

I seem to have been targeted by the snap.do virus. I can't get rid of it from Internet Explorer or Google Chrome.

Thanks

Kudos0

Go to this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

And use someone like myself who knows what is going on and trained in tools to deal with this

Quads

Kudos1

buryjo wrote:

Thanks

Follow Quads' advice. He knows the best route to take
Stay well and surf safe

DickWin7x64 SP1 current NIS V21
Kudos0

buryjo, snap.do it's not a virus, maybe a browser hijacker at worse. Technically, it's a rather persistent browser helper object, so I guess this is the reason why Norton does not pick it up, other antivirus products as well. Removal guide is available here (official Span.do site):

http://www.snapdoapp.com/faq/SnapDo/FAQ.aspx?lang=en

BUT for some reasons it's incomplete, maybe they don't want to lose users or maybe they think that snap.do removal is simple enough. IMHO they don't seem to be very honest :) Hopefully, this will help you:

http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2013/01/remove-snap-do.html

At least it's a lot more detailed than the official one. Cheers!

Kudos1

Download http://oldtimer(dot)geekstogo(dot)com/OTL(dot)exe and   Save to your computer  Desktop

Disable Norton / Symantec for say 30mins 

Start OTL by double clicking on the OTL Icon on your desktop.,  (In Windows Vista and 7 right click on the file and select  "Rin as Administrator")

Click the Scan All Users checkbox.

Change file age to 90 days

Press the 

An OTL.txt  and extras.txt will be created. To attach back in a post

Kudos1

They are My instruction, NOT yours to use.   

Users Ignore above post as they are my instructions but not posted by me, this is one reason why the forum is dangerous, users doing what I do, and other like me, but are not us.

Go to this forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

And use someone like myself who knows what is going on and trained in tools to deal with this

Do Not pretend to be me.

The Real Quads

Kudos0

Download http://oldtimer(dot)geekstogo(dot)com/OTL(dot)exe and   Save to your computer  Desktop

Disable Norton / Symantec for say 30mins 

Start OTL by double clicking on the OTL Icon on your desktop.,  (In Windows Vista and 7 right click on the file and select  "Rin as Administrator")

Click the Scan All Users checkbox.

Change file age to 90 days

Press the 

An OTL.txt  and extras.txt will be created. To attach back in a post

[Edit : removed hyperlink]

Kudos0

Sorry Buddy I am not Quads...    You are the real Quads I agree....  But the steps given above is not yours... It's mine...

Kudos0

A dangerous user as giving instructions, that is wht the forum is dangerous to infected machines at the moment.

Go to the board link above as it is protected from users giving instructions like above.

Why 90 days, and not 60 days or 30 days???

cos it is a copy.

Quads

Kudos0

The first post has been edited a lot, still a copy.

We have a dangerous user trying to do advanced pros.

Quads

Kudos0

a)  The first post here http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Winrscmde-High-CPU-Usage-Performance-Alert/m-p/867918/highlight/true#M83128 was edited from what I saw earlier which was the full copy of this post  

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Google-Search-Redirect-Problems/m-p/884934/highlight/true#M228212

The user has then cut it down in a major way then just altered the link which now is a direct .exe download, against Forum rules to direct download.

Quads 

Kudos0

Just by going a 90 day can you day it is copy paste? In OTL there is by default It will be 30 days... The other Option availalbe are 60 , 90, 180, 360..... So I preffer 90 because it will give us a little more details........  

Did I use your link to downlod OTL? 

Am I using your Scan now Button? 

Quads, if you wish you can assist the users in the Forum... If you are not doing it allow others to do it...   You are not the only one person doing Virus Removal, I hope you understand. 

Thank you.....

Kudos0

I also saw the full post before you cut most of the top off (edited now) which had  

ANY other user other than the thread starter is not to use any instructions, scripts or proceedures,  The work though in cleaning a system is individual and only for that system due to a number of factors.

Read all instructions properly

Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so. 

• We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Do as the instructions ask nothing extra or run things twice
  • If I ask a Question just answer it, don't run anything unless it states.
  • Major steps used:

1. Find

2. Break

3. Destroy

4. Cleanup  (including system as a whole)

Please read every post completely before doing anything. 

• Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, these entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.
  • Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post. Please remember, I am a volunteer, and I do have a life outside of these forum, (sometimes )

• Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.

This redirect can be caused by different infections

Your link is against forum rules now as it goes to straight download a .exe on to the system, Symantec don't allow it, or didn't and that is why at times for downloads I had to tell a user to copy and paste the link and change the xx to tt.

There are reasons why malware removal forums that are really good, are protected, so the likes of you can't do this.

I will be doing malware removal in the future for the reasons shown in this thread and others, dangerous users jump in like this . the bold parts of the posts are alsl like mine, 

This a Dangerous USER

Quads

Kudos0

Just an update the user has now taken the image cropped down and placed it here hxxp://i45.tinypic.com/1o408x.png to then use the other site to link the image back into the post.

Hope, scripts don't get edited this much hahahaha.

Quads

Kudos0

Where are the mods here?

Quads abuses and post spams and mods do nothing to stop him?

Its time to ban Quads. 

Kudos0

a) The Mods have already been on this thread to break the link as it was against the forum rules 

b) Please look up the definition of SPAM, it does help to know what SPAM is.

Previous post

Dickevens wrote:

buryjo wrote:

Thanks

Follow Quads' advice. He knows the best route to take
Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Quads

Kudos0

shawn77 wrote:

Where are the mods here?

Its time to ban Quads. 

Hi,

The moderators and many others view the messages here. When we see problems they are reported. They are then reviewed and appropriate action taken.

Quads is, if not the best, among the best of the best removalists I am aware of. He has proven his knowledge of what computer infections are and how to SAFELY remove them.

He has discontinued attempting to help users here because of the very thing that is happening to this thread.

Cutting and pasting his instructions to a different user in an attempt to help this user seems, to me, to be much more abusive of Quads than to anyone else currently participating in this discussion. Had you the wisdom and knowledge that he has demonstrated here you would have been able to post your own work and been of true service to the user.

Under the circumstances, I stand my my advice to the user with the problem to go to one of the sites I listed and get expert help, without disruptive interruptions by anyone else. My advice to you would be to read and learn without interjecting comments where they seerve no useful purpose.

Kudos0

Snapdo is not adware or malware. That is why your malware and antivirus aren't picking up on it. I use it and have found it to have some helpful features. If you do want to uninstall it, I know they have a Help section on their website http://www.snapdoapp.com/faq/SnapDo/FAQ.aspx?lang=en and email support: contact@snap.do

Kudos0

dickevans wrote:

shawn77 wrote:

Where are the mods here?

Its time to ban Quads. 

Cutting and pasting his instructions to a different user in an attempt to help this user seems, to me, to be much more abusive of Quads than to anyone else currently participating in this discussion. Had you the wisdom and knowledge that he has demonstrated here you would have been able to post your own work and been of true service to the user.

Dick

You chewed out the wrong guy, shawn77 did not copy and paste Quads instructions, kuttus did.

Kudos0

kuttus did

I was much bigger when it first appeared (it was my full post that I linked).

Due to a user having the ability to edit their messages for 1 hour what I first saw is no longer as well I was telling him on this thead, whats what, he was editing the messages a handful of times, like a metamorphic piece of malware, so my posts early on do look a little weird now.

Quads

Kudos0

Kuttus states I have found he states "Working with a AntiVirus Company."  hmmmm not in RED so not Symantec, does you AV company not have their own site and rules (about being on other competing AV sites??

Quads

Kudos0

Turbo wrote:

dickevans wrote:

shawn77 wrote:

Where are the mods here?

Its time to ban Quads. 

Dick

You chewed out the wrong guy, shawn77 did not copy and paste Quads instructions, kuttus did.

Turbo,

Dick did not say shawn77 did anything with Quad's instructions.

He was dealing with Shawn77's statement on abuse and saying what was done (not stated by whom) was a greater abuse against Quads than anything Quads says here .... which in my opinion may be brusque but when people he is trying to help do precisely what he tells them not to do ........ I don't blame him for pointing this out and stopping trying to help.

Hugh
Kudos0

Can any one allow me to handle one virus case? All of you guys can strictly monitor my replays... Is it possible?

Kudos0

kuttus wrote:

Can any one allow me to handle one virus case? All of you guys can strictly monitor my replays... Is it possible?

Anything is possible. The better question might be can you clean the user's machine without doing any harm? Can you cite any qualifications to do so. I know I don't have the qualifications to do it, therefore I don't attempt it. Perhaps if you can prove your qualifications you would be allowed, maybe even invited, to participate in infected user machine cleaning.
Your call

Kudos0

kuttus wrote:

I have stayed fairly quiet in regards to Quads, his attitude, and am very well aware of his prowess - especially the part that he does all he can in order not to damage (or worsen) the state of the user's system.

kuttus,

What I am used to in regards to malware removal sites is that an individual - no matter how qualified they are as a malware removalist who desires to assist on that forum, comes on board privately to the admin/owner of the site, tells of his desire to assist and then goes thru a "interview" stating their qualifications, referencing some of their prior work (other forums they have helped in) and then it is up to the admin/site owner after a few test cases (previously solved infections - basically a sritten test so to speak)  checking their ability to use the various (and most up to date auxillary programs as well as writting corrective scripts etc.  Once the admin/site owner is satisified as to theit abilities - they are either pemitted to fnction on their site or told to hit the road - for the safety of the site's customers.

Perhaps you are going about this in the wrong way y just asking for a chance in the open forums.

Kudos0

Kudos0

"Perhaps you are going about this in the wrong way y just asking for a chance in the open forums."

The main reason I am asking for Permission is I am attempting to give instructions to remove virus from the last 1.5 yea. Whenever I give a replay to any virus issues our Virus Removal Expert in this Forum will tell don't follow him... "He is Fake". He don't know anything... Like that way..........   Then how come I can give answers to any users?   So First I need permission from  you guys you guys will not interrupt.  

You can see and check all of my replays.

Kudos0

I notice in those threads you miss things, and do things the wrong way around so that is why at times scripts find nothing, or the entry you asked is already gone,  You also appear to not quite see what you are looking at with FRST and OTL and that could also be why you are using them ummmmm the wrong way around.  But then again I remember you telling me some time ago, Anyone can use the tools, so you use that thought with tools so you jump in, I did have a chuckle when you used OTL with script and it didn't work at all. User said still the same.

Looking at it you have your own board on Malwaretips, fine I am not bothered with that forum, or that you are on Bullguard and McAfee.   Luck to have tour own board though don't know what sort of protections are on there, and are you not busy enough with 3 forums one with your own board and the fact you are with another AV company????

I am not as I wouldn't have the time to full multi forum (yes I have helped BC when I see a thread that they are stuck or something new), as it is I sometimes eat etc at the keyboard and go all night to try and keep up. Stuff trying to do more than one forum.

I can spot when things are wrong not to do (or for that matter) when my instructions are used. I know when not to use OTL, combofix, MBAM etc. as the infection(s) require a nother tool / step first as MBAM, Combofix etc can or will get stuck and screw things

Then again I do do the new and tough stuff, like when TDL appeared etc.

As to snap.do. redirect,  OTL is not required to remove it.

Quads

Kudos0

Sorry - as I said before a real professional would not ask for permission to practice their wares from the general membership of the forum- but contact the admins/mods tier in order to offer their assistance - and once they have permission would tread lightly to built the users(and admins) confidence in their abilities.

Sorry, but I guess I just have a different outlook on this than you do.

Kudos0

No yank.   :)   

Quads,  don't want any one else use his palce....    I think that is the reason he now allowing any one else... :P

-----------------------------------------

@ Quads,

There is lots of methods to remove Snap.do. I know we can remove it manually also.... Like remove from Add/Remove, Add Ons, Programs Etc...  How many methods do you want me to give?  I have Given OTL one so that it will be easy for the user to proceed......
 We can't predict how technically strong one user who asking as help..   You can’t tell using OTL we can’t fix Snap.do. Can you?

I know which tool have to use, when and where....

Kudos0

For the moment users with malware now and then are PMing me instead for first and don't or won't for a fair few post on the open forum for their own system protection, I just send them to a safe site, as for the moment this is not safe.

"as I said before a real professional would not ask for permission to practice their wares from the general membership"  I wonder why the likes of Bleeping Computer block general membership from Malware Removal Oh I get it they are not "real Professionals"  Poor Bleeping Computer etc. 

Oh what the heck. I will just keep redircting the infected system / user to a protected board to use the trained Pro's Considering I get asked to help from people including Guru's with malware etc. I know where I would go.

If I have a problem with Norton Ghost and the HDD not playing ball, Not malware so I will as BrianK or DaveH, I think there is another.  For Mobile Phones I will ask looks like Andmike, smithy and Disted2 and they are not my area so ask someone who's area it is.

"as I said before a real professional would not ask for permission to practice their wares" hahaha I will take Syamtec's wares and give it alway over and over  can I Symantec please??  Oh hang on "as I said before a real professional would not ask for permission to practice their wares"  what about I  copy the Mona Lisa  "as I said before a real professional would not ask for permission to practice their wares" So I will be right.

Quads

Kudos0

I tihnk you have to c a Doc..... Not only I.....

Kudos2

Has there been a change in the purpose of this community?

I was under the impression that it was for the support of Norton products

There are no provisions at this time to support malware removal correctly - just ask Quads

There are no provisions to certify who is and who isn't qualified to provide services.

In light of all that it might be better if this thread were ended without further attempts to point fingers or remove malware. There are sites designed to do just that and they do it well. I vote for letting them do their thing while we do ours here - which is support Norton products.

nuf said

Kudos0

dickevans wrote:

In light of all that it might be better if this thread were ended without further attempts to point fingers or remove malware. There are sites designed to do just that and they do it well. I vote for letting them do their thing while we do ours here - which is support Norton products.

nuf said

Yep

Quads

Kudos0

Dick said 

Has there been a change in the purpose of this community?

I was under the impression that it was for the support of Norton products

There are no provisions at this time to support malware removal correctly - just ask Quads

There are no provisions to certify who is and who isn't qualified to provide services.

nuf said

Dick
Win7x64 SP1 current NIS V20  +1 on that. At least with Quads out of the picture, there should be no confusion......
Windows 7 64 Bit Sp1 NIS V 21.5.0.19
Kudos0

huwyngr wrote:

Turbo wrote:

dickevans wrote:

shawn77 wrote:

Where are the mods here?

Its time to ban Quads. 

Dick

Turbo,

He was dealing with Shawn77's statement on abuse and saying what was done (not stated by whom) was a greater abuse against Quads than anything Quads says here .... which in my opinion may be brusque but when people he is trying to help do precisely what he tells them not to do ........ I don't blame him for pointing this out and stopping trying to help.

Hugh wrote:

He certainly did.

His use of the the word you in the cut and paste part of the message clearly indicates that he is addressing someone in particular, since no one other than shawn77 is quoted or named, he had to have been addressing him.

Kudos0

Turbo

<<   He certainly did.

His use of the the word you in the cut and paste part of the message clearly indicates that he is addressing someone in particular, since no one other than shawn77 is quoted or named, he had to have been addressing him. >>

I fully understand why you are saying this and it's a reason why I hate what I call lthe blog structure where messages are not threaded so that they show as replies to a person and the system does not incorporate the name of a person you reply to automatically.

And one can't even assume that a message is a reply to the one above it because while typing this someone else can post a message that may or may not refer to something you said .....

This whole discussion is such a pointless mess that if I misread something then I misread someething but I interpreted the "you" as separate from the cut and paste which you correctly said was not shawn.

I'm lucky that over on Compuserve we have a true threaded message system and replies are linked to the person being answered and automatically include the names of both parties .....

It also greatly reduces backquoting .......

Hugh
Kudos0

I have posted on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ and I am waiting for a response. Thank you to everyone who has commented

Kudos0

Kudos0

Thanks for the link Quads -- nice to be able to follow progress.

Hugh
Kudos0

buryjo wrote:

Thanks

Welcome,
You might try a malware removal scan. There are several available. Just do a Google search.

Keep us posted

Replies are locked for this thread.