• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Cannot Uninstall Norton Online Backup Help!!!!!!!

Norton Online Backup came preinstalled on my new windows 8 laptop.  When I attempt to uninstall it, a window pops up that says "Please wait while windows configures Norton Online Backup."  The window stays open and runs and runs and runs endlessly.  If you cancel the windows, the cancellation runs endlessly.  The uninstall never gets beyond these windows.  A solution would be appreciated.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Cannot Uninstall Norton Online Backup Help!!!!!!!

Norton Online Backup came preinstalled on my new windows 8 laptop.  When I attempt to uninstall it, a window pops up that says "Please wait while windows configures Norton Online Backup."  The window stays open and runs and runs and runs endlessly.  If you cancel the windows, the cancellation runs endlessly.  The uninstall never gets beyond these windows.  A solution would be appreciated.

Kudos0

I just removed Norton Online Backup from my sister's computer.  I went to the following web address

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall 

click on the green RUN NOW button and follow the directions.  I got a popup at the bottom of the screen asking me to run or save - i just said "run".  It asked me to verify to allow Microsoft to update the computer - I accepted.  Then it asked to accept the license agreement.  Then it gives an option to automatically detect problems and fix OR to Dectect problems and let me select the fixes.  I chose the latter even though the first is recommended.  Then it will ask if you are having problems with Installing or uninstalling - select uninstalling. Not sure what other prompts will be provided but eventually the list of your programs will be displayed and you can choose what you want to uninstall. 

Hope this helps you as it helped me.

Kudos0

FYI - The computer I ran this on was Windows 7 - not 8. 

Kudos0

Hello Carl

You can also reach out to support directly at www.norton.com/chat. You likely have the product reminder installed and not actually Norton Online Backup. It's basically advertisement for you to signup for service and some cases to setup the service if it came with the PC.

Replies are locked for this thread.