• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos3

Norton Toolbar HOTFIX - for Chrome 25 and FF18 issues

Dear Norton Community,

We are pleased to announce the release of a hotfix for the Norton Toolbar that addresses some major issues occurring with Google Chrome and Firefox 18. Please follow the directions in the below Knowledge Base article to download and install the hotfix, which is only for NIS/N360 20.3, and Identity Safe Standalone 2013.3.0.26:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/norton-identity-safe/current/solutions/v85656055_EndUserProfile_en_us

This hotfix addresses 2 major issues that have appeared recently:

- Fixes issue where Google Chrome 25 disables the toolbar (thread)

- Resolves problem where Norton Toolbar is missing in Firefox 17 and Firefox 18 (thread)

We are very interested in feedback on this hotfix. If you choose to run it, please reply to this thread with your results. If you encounter any problems, please be sure to include the following information:

- Norton product and full version

- detailed description of what steps you took

- detailed description of the error you experienced

- screenshots of any error messages you've seen

Thanks for your patience and your help.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Norton Toolbar HOTFIX - for Chrome 25 and FF18 issues

NIS Online 20.3.0.36 / Win7x64Pro SP1
Started HOTFIX_2013.exe, no screen messages appeared!
Task Manager: Process HOTFIX_2013.exe *32 / 2013 Chrome 25 was running
After a while I opened Chrome 25, now the Norton toolbar was visible without clicking the Norton button
Reboot, Chrome 25.0.1364.160: The toolbar is automatically displayed on every new tab I open.
Extensions/Plugins:
Norton Identity Protection 2013.3.2.10
Location: C:\Users\CQ\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\mkfokfffehpeedafpekjeddnmnjhmcmk\2013.3.2.10_0\npcoplgn.dll
Folder/Subfolders/Files, all of them with recent timestamp [13.03.2013 09:44]

Firefox 19.0.2: The toolbar worked flawlesly
Norton Toolbar 2013.3.0.26 / Norton Vulnerability Protection 11.1.1.5-3
I updated FF to v19 in February; I cannot tell how this hotfix work with v18
http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/Firefox-18-and-Identity-Safe-tool-bar-goes-away/m-p/913907#M8901

Chrome: I updated to Version 25.0.1364.172 (new version today)
The Norton Toolbar seems to work as expected. Excellent.

- detailed description of the error you experienced/ - screenshots of any error messages you've seen
As already told, I did not see anything, I dislike “hidden programs”.

NS 22 / Win7x64Pro SP1 & NIS 21 Online [non-English from ISP] Win 8.1
Kudos0

I ran the hotfix on the WinXP SP3 computer. Also this PC has NIS Online 20.3.0.36 installed. The program responded with: “The Hotfix has already been installed.”

I checked the LU log, an entry from last night (equals 12.03.2013 12:47PM PST) displayed "Norton Toolbar Add-on for Firefox/Reboot required”.

Chrome 25: Toolbar is automatically displayed.

Firefox 19.0.2: No problems

Kudos0

Well, this hotfix did NOT work for me.  Here are my details:

Norton Internet Security 20.3.0.36

Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Google Chrome 25.0.1364.172

Extenstion Norton Identity Protection 2013.3.0.26

Downloaded HOTFIX_2013.exe.  Ran HOTFIX_2013.exe.  After a while a window appeared and said "This Hotfix has already been installed."  Rebooted.  Started Google Chrome.  Toolbar still randomly doesn't appear and covers the top of the webpage. Norton Identity Protection extension version still 2013.3.0.26.  Close Google Chrome and re-start a few times, still no difference.

I didn't have any errors while installing the hotfix, however earlier this morning, before I even new about the hotfix, I did get a Norton Autofix error 3048,3 that had a Repair result of Installation-Success.

Kudos0

After some more investigation, I have discovered that of the 4 accounts on this machine, 1 of them actually did get the hotfix applied and has the Norton Identity Protection version of 2013.3.2.10.  The other three accounts (including mine, the account on which the hotfix ran) still do NOT have the updated toolbar however.

Kudos0

Unlike JohnDissident, the update for the Norton Toolbar Add-on for Firefox did NOT come in for me.  I am using Windows 7, SP1 64 bit.  I manually applied the fix.  So far so good (do not use FF or Chrome).

When in doubt, uninstall / reinstall :smileywink:Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit), Norton Internet Security 2013, Internet Explorer 10, SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

WLP wrote:

Unlike JohnDissident, the update for the Norton Toolbar Add-on for Firefox did NOT come in for me.  I am using Windows 7, SP1 64 bit.  I manually applied the fix.  So far so good (do not use FF or Chrome).

The update came in with LU on one computer, on the other one I had to start the hotfix manually. The instructions say “Follow the on-screen instructions to apply the hot fix”, but there were NO ON-SCREEN INSTRUCTIONS.

Kudos0

Neither. I have Windows 7 and ran Live Update. It installed the usual virus definitions, etc, sans the Firefox update. Though, I don't have Firefox or Chrome installed.
When in doubt, uninstall / reinstall :smileywink:Windows 7 SP1 (64 bit), Norton Internet Security 2013, Internet Explorer 10, SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

FYI, I was able to solve my problem and install the new toolbar on all 4 user accounts on my machine.  I first ran the Norton Removal and Reinstall Tool.  Then I ran LiveUpdate (which did not install the new toolbar).  Finally, I ran the hotfix.  This time the hotfix completed successfully and installed the toolbar in all user accounts.

Kudos1

This hotfix has now been released to all customers via LiveUpdate. Thanks for your help.

Tony Weiss | Norton Forums Global Community Manager | Symantec Corporation

Replies are locked for this thread.