• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Problem Locating Device

Hi,

I just got a subscription to this app tonight, and really like the features it offers, but I seem to be having a bit of an issue with the website being able to contact the device to issue commands.

I was testing out some of the features, and the first few commands I sent seemed to be processed reasonably quick.  After about the third request, I noticed it was taking quite a while (a test of the scream command took almost 5 minutes from the time I clicked the button on the site before the phone 'screamed').

Now, it seems to not be responding altogether.  When I click a command, for example 'locate', it will come up with the "We're trying to reach your device. Once we reach it, we'll update its location. If your device is offline, we'll try the command when it's back online."  message, and has apparently been trying to reach the device for close to an hour now.

During all of my testing, the phone is connected to the internet via my WiFi connection and the app is running, so I would think it should be able to find it fairly quickly.  That makes me worry that I may have even more trouble when it really counts and the device is actually lost and not on WiFi.

Also, since it may be related, the last command from the website that appeared to go through was a 'sneak peak'.  The picture was recieved back pretty quickly (less than a minute from requesting it - which was much faster than the first test I did). Even though the picture was displayed, the "Trying to reach your device" message was (and still is now - more than an hour later, even after having to re-login after being timed out a couple of times) still there as well.

I really like the idea of this software, so I'm hoping to get this cleared up.  Also, I should mention that I sent a few SMS commands to the device from another phone and they were all answered and processed within seconds.

What type of response time should I be expecting when I ussue a command from the web panel - on WiFi and normal 3G wireless data?  I'm assuming the current issue of being 'stuck' is just a glitch, but the earlier tests I had done seemed like they were taking longer than they should, given that there is an app running on the phone that could tell the web panel exactly how to contact it if it's network address changes.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to make sure I explained my issue thoroughly, and am also curious about the response time others are getting.

Thanks!

[Edited @ 2:32AM on 5/6 - Corrected a typo or two :P]

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Problem Locating Device

Hi,

I just got a subscription to this app tonight, and really like the features it offers, but I seem to be having a bit of an issue with the website being able to contact the device to issue commands.

I was testing out some of the features, and the first few commands I sent seemed to be processed reasonably quick.  After about the third request, I noticed it was taking quite a while (a test of the scream command took almost 5 minutes from the time I clicked the button on the site before the phone 'screamed').

Now, it seems to not be responding altogether.  When I click a command, for example 'locate', it will come up with the "We're trying to reach your device. Once we reach it, we'll update its location. If your device is offline, we'll try the command when it's back online."  message, and has apparently been trying to reach the device for close to an hour now.

During all of my testing, the phone is connected to the internet via my WiFi connection and the app is running, so I would think it should be able to find it fairly quickly.  That makes me worry that I may have even more trouble when it really counts and the device is actually lost and not on WiFi.

Also, since it may be related, the last command from the website that appeared to go through was a 'sneak peak'.  The picture was recieved back pretty quickly (less than a minute from requesting it - which was much faster than the first test I did). Even though the picture was displayed, the "Trying to reach your device" message was (and still is now - more than an hour later, even after having to re-login after being timed out a couple of times) still there as well.

I really like the idea of this software, so I'm hoping to get this cleared up.  Also, I should mention that I sent a few SMS commands to the device from another phone and they were all answered and processed within seconds.

What type of response time should I be expecting when I ussue a command from the web panel - on WiFi and normal 3G wireless data?  I'm assuming the current issue of being 'stuck' is just a glitch, but the earlier tests I had done seemed like they were taking longer than they should, given that there is an app running on the phone that could tell the web panel exactly how to contact it if it's network address changes.

Sorry for the long post, I wanted to make sure I explained my issue thoroughly, and am also curious about the response time others are getting.

Thanks!

[Edited @ 2:32AM on 5/6 - Corrected a typo or two :P]

Accepted Solution
Kudos1

Hi ScrobDobbins - Welcome to The Norton Community.

I have not used the remote web based features of the Norton Mobile

Security (NMS) app for a while, but hope they will work when needed. :)

The last time i came across the problem you are having when everything

from the web based control panel seemed to take for ever or did not work

at all was to uninstall NMS and download and install again from Google

Play.

Fixed the bugs i had. :)

As for the SMS features they always seem to work ok.;-)

Keep us posted on how you go.

Cheers.

Kudos0

Wow, thanks for the quick response.  I didn't even bother to refresh the page until just now because it's 3AM where I am and figured no one would be awake to see it :P

I just re-installed the app, and it immediately updated the web panel - all the "Trying to reach your device" messages were gone, and the location had updated.  I probably should have tried that before posting, but my gut was telling me that the problem was more on the web/networking side of things since the app WAS still answering SMS messages.

That's the good news.  The better news is that this time I'm getting responses from the device much faster.  Just a few seconds to get the location, and around 10-15 to get a picture back.  So I'm happy for the moment - I just hope this was a weird glitch that doesn't happen again, because I may not have the luxury of re-installing the app if I can't find my phone.

Also, is there a place for feature suggestions?  I like the idea of the sneak peek feature, but it seems that it could be difficult to actually grab a useful picture unless you get lucky with the timing.  Perhaps an option to select which camera to use for devices with more than one, and either a 'burst shot' that takes one picture a second for x seconds, or even the ability to take a short video would be nice.

Thanks again for the quick response!

Kudos0

No worries glad to help. :)

And it is great news that things are working much better after the

fresh install of NMS.

Still got the big ball of fire in the sky here Down Under. :) No one

is sleeping yet.

I agree that hopefully there will be  no more issues for you and NMS.

As for feedback there is a forum dedicated to that and you can find

the forum in the link below, hopefully the Norton Mobile Team will

see it and perhaps take the idea on board for a future update to

the NMS app.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Product-Suggestions/bd-p/Suggestions

Otherwise if you have any issues or questions in the future do not hesitate

to return to the Norton Community Forums as we will try to assist with any

of the Norton products.

Cheers.