• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

How to unblock Ad Muncher

Days before I have downloaded and installed Norton 360. Since then, my Ad Muncher was blocked from stopping ads when visiting websites. Ad Muncher is a very good software to prevent ads. I sincerely hope you can advise the detailed steps of permitting Ad Muncher working in its usual manner and other security softwares such as MBAM etc.

Thanks for the assistance!

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to unblock Ad Muncher

Days before I have downloaded and installed Norton 360. Since then, my Ad Muncher was blocked from stopping ads when visiting websites. Ad Muncher is a very good software to prevent ads. I sincerely hope you can advise the detailed steps of permitting Ad Muncher working in its usual manner and other security softwares such as MBAM etc.

Thanks for the assistance!

Kudos0

Hi hakah

If you are sure that the programme is safe to do this you might like to scan it with Norton?  Then click the Norton icon, click settings, click network, click smart firewall, click programme control, check to see if the programme is there and its status on the RHS.  If it’s not there click add, browse for the programme double click on the programme, click apply, click ok and close all Norton user interfaces and then recheck the status in the programme control if it still isn’t working.

Regarding MBAM if it’s the free version and not the trial or pro version then many people are ignoring the compatibility warnings and Norton are looking into a fix at present.

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

Yesterday, there is auto fix message advising error encountered. It tried to connect to the server to search for solution for the problem but there is none. Error code of 8506, 421 was shown. Can you provide any information regarding this error message and any tool or software can be attached for solution of the problem? Thanks for the assistance!

Kudos0

intesec: Thanks for the Exclusion List guidelines. There is one question remaining, there is still a problem found on system tray of Ad Muncher Updater at Bottom Right Corner at desktop screen showning "Unable to check for updates". How can I have this icon functional again as normal working manner?

At the same time , is it possible to give me link for detailed working steps of Exclusion List setup to softwares in Traditional Chinese to  enable my family members easier accessible as they are not so good in English? Many thanks for your kind assistance!

Kudos0

Hi hakah

Regarding error 8506,421 there are three options below the third option is from Norton and uses the Norton power eraser which can have files needing deletion, that may then cause the operating system to fail so if you run it copy and paste the log files that it produces then create a new thread asking what should be deleted.  Choose not to delete any files.

You might like to backup your personal data and your identity safe if you use it.

Option 1

Have you or have you ever had any other security software including any trial security software on the computer including Norton? 

To uninstall any security software use the windows add/remove programme, then restart the computer, then run the removal tool for the specific version of the security software that is available from the security software’s main site, then restart the computer.  This process should be done for each security software to be uninstalled, meaning one at a time.

Uninstall Norton as above.

Reinstall Norton, run live updates as many times as it takes to get, no more live updates, restarting as required.

You might like to backup your personal data and your identity safe if you use it.

Option 2 this for NAV/NIS but it is a process to delete all Norton data.

Try these steps. It looks a bit complicated but it does work.

1. Download Norton Removal Tool. www.Norton.com/nrt

2. Go to Control Panel and uninstall NAV/NIS (choose delete all files option) then restart

3. Run Norton Removal Tool then restart again

4. Open Device Manager. Click "VIEW" then select "Show Hidden Devices"

5. Expand "Non-Plug and Play Drivers"

6. Uninstall NAVENG, NAVEX15, Norton Antivirus Settings Manager, Symantec Data Store to SymEvent (this includes all entries starting with Sym) Select "NO" when prompted to restart

7. Open Program Files folder, if you find Norton and Symantec Folder delete it

8. Delete temporary files (open "run" then type %temp%)

9. Restart system then download and re-install Norton

10. Run Live Update

Option 3.  You’ll need to copy and paste the below into the address bar on the browser.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v80281719_EndUserProfile_en_us

Open the Ad Muncher programme and locate update, click on it or something in that area.  Right click on the system tray icon it may give the option to update from there.

Norton software is available in Chinese but I think that the operating system may need to be in Chinese.

Can you produce screen shots or use the snipping tool (see help and support from the start menu) then edit the images using the paint programme with the recant information to guide the person reading the instruction through the process.  Or use the phone and if you and the other person have the Norton user interface open on the desktop you could talk them through it and if they filmed it you’d only have to it once and then email the film clip to the various relatives or do it yourself and film it.

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

inteset: Really thanks a lot for your detailed illustration on various options to helping solving my problem. I will advise you the results after testing at earliest convenience. Many thanks for the help!

Kudos0

Hi hakah,

Just read thru this thread and may be out in left field on this one - but is the block coming from the firewall or in fact being blocked by SONAR, Download Intelligence or perhpas even some auto scanning.

Perhpas if you go to Settings > AntiVirus > Scans and Risks Tab > scroll down to Exclusions/ Low Risks > please select Configure[+]one at a time for the  Items to Exclude from Scans and also Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR, and Download Intelligence and then slect the Help on each of those topics.  Once you read over what these options do, you can try to add AdMuncher to the Exclusion list - this should stop Norton from identifying it as needing to be blocked.  I would guess the Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect, SONAR, and Download Intelligence would be the one that would do it for you.

Like I said - I may be out in left field and neither of these will work - but worth a try rather before going thru the removal and reinstall and cleaning out the debris that was mentioned in a previous post.  actually I am not sure how a remove and reinstall could fix this blocking problem.

In regards to AdMuncher not working properly update wise - could it possibly need a reinstall of AdMuncher? 

In regards to Chinese - you might be able to reference the Settings and the Help sections for each area you desire your Chinese family to use - if they have a Chinese system.

Replies are locked for this thread.