• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

[FIXED] toparcadehits virus

I keep getting pop ups that have toparcadehits in the address. Also everytime I open my browser a toparcadehits page opens up at the same time that  my homepage does. It happens no matter which browser I use: firefox,IE, or chrome. I did a full norton scan and also tried the power eraser but ithey didn't  find anything. My operating system is XP with the latest service pack.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: [FIXED] toparcadehits virus

I keep getting pop ups that have toparcadehits in the address. Also everytime I open my browser a toparcadehits page opens up at the same time that  my homepage does. It happens no matter which browser I use: firefox,IE, or chrome. I did a full norton scan and also tried the power eraser but ithey didn't  find anything. My operating system is XP with the latest service pack.

Kudos0

[Instructions are for the thread starters system only, Not another users system]

Please Read  http://community.norton.com/t5/Malware-Discussion/Malware-Discussion-Board-Guidelines/td-p/961409

This is to make sure the user has seen the Guidelines before starting.  

Quads

Kudos0

Hi, I read the guidelines.

Kudos0

Download OTL http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/otl/   On to the Desktop

Disable Norton / Symantec for say 30mins 

Start OTL,  (Right click and from the menu choose "Run as Administrator")

Click the Scan All Users checkbox.

Change file age to 60 days

Press the 

An OTL.txt  and extras.txt will be created. To attach back in a post

Quads

Kudos0

The OTL will not download. It starts to say downloading then switches to a blank page that says "problem downloading page.

(I tried several times)

It finally downloaded.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Looks like we will NOT  be able use the Delete function with adwcleaner but  we can still just use the Serach function only to create a log I can use along with the OTL.txt log to script with later.

Read carefully

Download Adwcleaner http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/view.download/2   The Green Arrow  on to your desktop like OTLand run a scan (Search Button).  It will create a log after.

attach the log back here.

We also have another problem to sort out

Quads

Kudos0

I attached the adware txt.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

What of AVG did you or have you got on the system as It looks like only part of??

You also have McAfee

Quads

Kudos0

I had AVG for a short time years ago and Mcafee for a couple of years but I uninstalled both of them a long time ago.

Kudos0

Not properly done look

DRV - [2009/09/16 10:22:48 | 000,214,664 | ---- | M] (McAfee, Inc.) [Kernel | System | Running] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mfehidk.sys -- (mfehidk)
DRV - [2009/09/16 10:22:48 | 000,079,816 | ---- | M] (McAfee, Inc.) [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mfeavfk.sys -- (mfeavfk)
DRV - [2009/09/16 10:22:48 | 000,040,552 | ---- | M] (McAfee, Inc.) [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mfesmfk.sys -- (mfesmfk)
DRV - [2009/09/16 10:22:48 | 000,035,272 | ---- | M] (McAfee, Inc.) [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mfebopk.sys -- (mfebopk)
DRV - [2009/09/16 10:22:14 | 000,034,248 | ---- | M] (McAfee, Inc.) [Kernel | On_Demand | Stopped] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mferkdk.sys -- (mferkdk)

DRV - [2007/01/31 09:33:46 | 000,005,632 | ---- | M] (GRISOFT, s.r.o.) [Kernel | Boot | Running] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\avgarkt.sys -- (AVG Anti-Rootkit)
DRV - [2007/01/18 08:00:28 | 000,003,968 | ---- | M] (GRISOFT, s.r.o.) [Kernel | System | Running] -- C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\AvgArCln.sys -- (AvgArCln)

So we have to deal with them first.

Quads

Kudos0

Its probably obvious now that I don't know much about computers. How do I get rid of all this extra junk?

Kudos0

Can't have McAfee and Norton together (or AVG), Go to http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 and follow this part of the instructions on that page.

Download the MCPR tool from [Removed Direct link as per Forum Rules]

IMPORTANT: The MCPR tool is updated periodically when new products and updates are released. Always download a new copy of the MCPR tool before using it to uninstall your product.

1. Windows 7 and Windows users, right-click MCPR.exe, and select Run as Administrator.

2. When you see the User Account Control dialog box, click Yes.
  3. At the McAfee Software Removal screen, click Next.
  4. At the End User License Agreement (EULA) dialog box, click Next to accept the agreement.
  5. When prompted, type the Captcha information, which is case sensitive, to validate to application security, and then click Next.
  • If you have Family Protection installed, type your Administrator user name and password and click Next.
  • If you cannot authenticate, follow the on-screen instructions to obtain an uninstall code. If you do not have Family Protection installed, you will not receive this authentication prompt.
  1. When you see the message CleanUp Successful, restart your computer. Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until after the restart.

Quads

Kudos0

I ran the MCPR tool twice but it won't take everything off. I got an "uninstall incomplete" message both times after running the program and restarting the computer. I attached the cleanup log.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I did not say to run any tools twice

Quads

Kudos0

I ran the tool once and got  a "incomplete uninstall message. So I restarted the computer and did it again just to make sure I did it right. I never got the success unistall message.

Kudos0

Do you not get it,

I did not say to run any tools twice

Quads

Kudos0

Ok

Kudos0

Do you remember what year AVG you had installed??

Quads

Kudos0

I think it was installed in 2006.

Kudos0

2012 and before,  So I would say on this page  http://www.avg.com/ww-en/utilities

You need to run the third one down  in the list  

AVG Remover(32bit) 2012
(avg_remover_stf_x86_2012_2125.exe)

Quads

Kudos0

Kudos0

I will have to get those 2 objects later,  Create a new log.

Disable Norton / Symantec for say 30mins 

Start OTL,  (Right click and from the menu choose "Run as Administrator")

Click the Scan All Users checkbox.

Change file age to 60 days

Press the 

An OTL.txt  and extras.txt will be created. To attach back in a post

Quads

Kudos0

I ran the OTL

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Read carefully

Download Adwcleaner http://general-changelog-team.fr/fr/downloads/view.download/2   The Green Arrow  on to your desktop like OTLand run a scan (Search Button).  It will create a log after.

attach the log back here.

Quads

Kudos0

I ran the adwcleaner

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I have checked the log,  this time start Adwcleaner and click the delete button the PC will be restarted at the end,  Adwcleaner will create a new log. To attach back

Quads

Kudos0

clicked delete and created the log

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Has the "Arcade Hits" stopped??

Quads

Kudos0

No, unfortunately it is still there.

Kudos0

Download this and run it on the desktop.   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

It will create a log after.

Quads

Kudos0

When I opened the browser just now the "toparcadehits" page didn't appear. Maybe it is gone now.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

The aol safety toolbar, is no longer available so maybe someone on the net is creating variants for their own use.

Do this Please, go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737  and run the Fix it. (button)

Quads

Kudos0

The AOL toolbar is still there and functionally correctly, the junkware didn't delete it.

I clicked the fix it button. The IE browser is working properly again also. Thank you very much for all your help.

Kudos0

JRT only took the object required not all of AOL.

On with step 4 check and clean up whole system.

Please read carefully and Slowly, Notice all the settings listed below to check before starting the scan.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the  button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on  to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the  icon on your desktop.
  • Check 
  • Click the  button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check  and DON'T (NO) check Remove found threats (reason for this is we don't want something deleted and then Windows won't load).
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • Attach the resulting log in your next reply

The scanner screen gives me the option of downloading the results to a .txt file

Quads

Kudos0

The scan took 7 hours but its is finally done.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Ok, Start  Adwcleaner and click  Uninstall and Uninstall   ESET Online Scanner V3 if it is listed nd just Delete JRT.exe

I just have to spend time using the OTL, Adwclerner and ESET logs to create a script to clean this all up using OTL.

Quads

Kudos0

Disable Norton for say 30 minutes or more

Start OTL (like before),   under   Copy and paste the custom script attached which you open in for instance in Notepad, (include the : at the start of :OTL and all the way to the end / bottom)  and run the script. (Red Run Fix Button)

The output log, should be placed in the  C:\_OTL\MovedFiles folder after.

Quads

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

I copied your file to the OTL.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

How is you system running now??

Quads

Kudos0

Everything is running good. The browsers are back to normal and things seem to be  running faster. Thank You very very much for all your help!

Kudos1

Disable Norton

Start OTL again but this time click the Black CleanUp button, then make sure the C:\_OTL folder is deleted.

After that you are free to go on your merry way.  You are now fixed / Solved.

Quads

Kudos0

Thread now locked

Quads

Replies are locked for this thread.