• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos1

Windows 8.1 and no compatibility.

I just installed windows 8.1 preview (via windows store) and I noticed that NIS just disappear. So I tried to install it again, but when launching installer, windows show notification about incompatibility. After ignorig this message NIS installer tells me that installer was launched using compatibility mode. I'd checked that in installer properties, but all compatibility options are disabled.

There will be any new installer to get NIS 2013 working?

Replies

Kudos1

Re: Windows 8.1 and no compatibility.

W8.1 Update 1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 and FF 32.0.2, TB 31.1.1, NIS2014 21.5.0.19 and N360 21.5.0.19, Android 4.2 with NMS 3.8
Kudos0

Do yourself a favor and don't use NIS with 8.1...it won't work.

I was using 8.1 and then discovered that NIS 20 wasn't compatible, so I tried the NIS 21 Beta and that was even worse! When I imported my Identity Safe data, none of it was actually imported, and worse, as I clicked through the settings, there were a lot of '<function> placeholder' everywhere! Absolutely nothing worked. I ended up going back to Win8 and NIS 20.

Kudos0

A55A551N-11B3P wrote:

Do yourself a favor and don't use NIS with 8.1...it won't work.

I was using 8.1 and then discovered that NIS 20 wasn't compatible, so I tried the NIS 21 Beta and that was even worse! When I imported my Identity Safe data, none of it was actually imported, and worse, as I clicked through the settings, there were a lot of '<function> placeholder' everywhere! Absolutely nothing worked. I ended up going back to Win8 and NIS 20.

Do yourself an even bigger favor and don't install the Preview of WIndows 8.1 unless you have a spare machine and time to play. If you install it on a working Windows 8 machine you will have problems when the final TM version is released and you want to install the real McCoy.

Hugh
Kudos0

yeah, no feces?

there isn't any real reason why NIS shouldn't work...it's not like I jumped from WIn98 to Win8, and from every review, it's supposed to be an update to the Metro-side of things.

but even then, the NIS 21 beta is absolute crap, even by beta standards.

Kudos1

@ A55A551N-11B3P

Win 8.1 Preview has been released. It's a beta version. The official release is scheduled for around late December of this year.

That gives 6 months for security vendors to work on compatibilty issues.

No security vendor supports beta versions of software. That's what beta testing is all about. Many, many changes will be made to Win 8.1 before it's released to the public.

Regards,

Win8.1 x64, NIS 21.6.0.32, AMD A6-5400K APU and 6GB RAM
Kudos0

Gee I didn't know that. Thanks, Sherlock. This isn't my first dance.

But while 8.1 is pretty solid, the NIS Beta is nowhere near that...it shouldn't even be called a beta...maybe it should be called "some fecal matter we through together over an LSD-fueled weekend".

Even MS will tell you that 8.1 = 8, only refined...i.e. the METRO side. This shouldn't have affected NIS at all.

Kudos2

<< ... there isn't any real reason why NIS shouldn't work...  >>

If you read the message Tony posted, Microsoft has said they will fix the problem in the next update to Windows 8.1 .

So it's not a question of NIS not working but of Microsoft dropping another one and preventing it from  working.

So please address all complaints to the management...... of Microsoft.

Hugh
Kudos2

A55A551N-11B3P wrote:

Even MS will tell you that 8.1 = 8, only refined...i.e. the METRO side. This shouldn't have affected NIS at all.

No, what MIcrosoft actually said was this:

Windows 8.1 Preview and Windows RT 8.1 Preview are stable and have been thoroughly tested, but aren't the finished product. Your PC could crash and you could lose important files. You should back up your data and you shouldn't test the preview on your primary home or business PC. You might also encounter problems like:

• Software that doesn’t install or work correctly, including antivirus or security programs.

• Printers, video cards, or other hardware that doesn’t work.

• Difficulty accessing corporate or home networks.

• Damage to some of your files.

You should carefully balance the risks and rewards of trying out the preview before you install it.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/preview-faq

Kudos0

@A55A551N-11B3P

And besides the fact that it's BETA : it's not only the Metro side, which has changed, there are also changes in good old Explorer and so on and so on...'under the bonnet' there is always more, than you see and MS will tell you.

Plse read some announcements and analyses on ZDNet and/or Techrepublic first, before you make such statements about 'only refined' and 'it should not have affected NIS at all'.

W8.1 Update 1 / W7-SP1 with IE11 and FF 32.0.2, TB 31.1.1, NIS2014 21.5.0.19 and N360 21.5.0.19, Android 4.2 with NMS 3.8
Kudos0

yeah that's funny because of all the apps I have on my system, the only one that broke was NIS. go figure.

Kudos0

yes, that's a standard disclaimer. it's the same thing they say about not using toasters while in the bathtub.

and if you pay attention, they are all over the place talking 8.1 up and how stable it is, etc.

Kudos0

really? because i didn't hear about any other apps busting. the kernal of 8.1 is not so different that it should break NIS so easily, but then again, Norton anything is always the easiest thing to break.

Kudos4

A55A551N-11B3P wrote:

really? because i didn't hear about any other apps busting. the kernal of 8.1 is not so different that it should break NIS so easily, but then again, Norton anything is always the easiest thing to break.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1_pr-security/81-internet-security-suites/349d556b-94ae-4900-a2e4-c3287590ad12

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Now-Working-to-Make-Security-Apps-Compatible-with-Windows-8-1-364240.shtml

Kudos0

Nice try, but even though that article states that 'some security apps", I find it interesting that Norton is the only one mentioned by name...twice.

And even if you still want to lay the blame at MS' feet, how can you explain the utter crap that NIS 21 Beta is? Does Norton fire the design team after it releases a product, and then bring in an entirely new team who then makes something nearly completely different?

NIS 21B is so under-developed that there is no way it should even be released. I already know that ID Safe doesn't work in it, I wonder what else isn't? The AV? Malicious threat detection?

Kudos0

I put all of the beta problems on Microsoft. I have been doing Microsoft since 1985. They should know better than to give the app developers for a new OS better info so they have the tech details to build a working app. MS just did a 9 file update this AM to increase compatibility with Norton. MS failed miserably!!!! I think they are trying too fast to catch Apple in the tablet & desktop OS features.

SLOW down and do it right before you release what turns out to be junk science IT product.

John

Kudos1

JKiii wrote:

I put all of the beta problems on Microsoft....They should know better than to give the app developers for a new OS better info so they have the tech details to build a working app.

There actually is no problem.  Windows 8.1, like all betas, is a test version.  Other software does not need to be able to work with it.  Other software only needs to be able to work with the final release version.  The beta is out there so that the incompatibilities can be discovered and addressed so that when Windows 8.1 is actually released, these issues will have been ironed out.

Kudos0

To all,

I believe that this article will help with some of your questions.

Please read it carefully. Click Here

Best wishes,

Flavio

Kudos0

The latest version of Norton (2013: version 20.4.0.40)  have been made compatible with Windows 8.1

1- Please use the Norton Removal from the link: www.Symantec.com/NRT and perform it on the computer to remove any left over Norton files and folders.

2- On completion of the Norton Removal Tool, please restart the computer.

3- Now, download and install Norton (2013: version 20.4.0.40) on  the computer from your Norton Account or you can use the link : www.Norton.com/download and activate it with the product key.

4- Please run the LiveUpdates (ensure that the date/time are correct on the computer) until no Updates are left.

* The compatibility issues have been resolved with Windows 8.1 and Norton is completely compatible now.

Shree
Kudos0

Shrikant_H wrote:

The latest version of Norton (2013: version 20.4.0.40)  have been made compatible with Windows 8.1

1- Please use the Norton Removal from the link: www.Symantec.com/NRT and perform it on the computer to remove any left over Norton files and folders.

2- On completion of the Norton Removal Tool, please restart the computer.

3- Now, download and install Norton (2013: version 20.4.0.40) on  the computer from your Norton Account or you can use the link : www.Norton.com/download and activate it with the product key.

4- Please run the LiveUpdates (ensure that the date/time are correct on the computer) until no Updates are left.

* The compatibility issues have been resolved with Windows 8.1 and Norton is completely compatible now.

Where did you see this information posted. Last news I saw was that Windows 8 was compatible...not 8.1

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Ballistic wrote:

@ A55A551N-11B3P

Win 8.1 Preview has been released. It's a beta version. The official release is scheduled for around late December of this year.

That gives 6 months for security vendors to work on compatibilty issues.

No security vendor supports beta versions of software. That's what beta testing is all about. Many, many changes will be made to Win 8.1 before it's released to the public.

Regards,

FYI, Ballmer announced that the RTM of 8.1 will be August 2013 so your December release info is way off. It seems that like everything else Redmond has done to screw up Windows lately, it appears that they are also trying to force their security software on everyone by making Enhanced Protection Mode the default for IE11. If you are so naive that you believe that there will "many, many changes made to Win 8.1 before it's released to the public" then you are more ignorarrogant than your posts lead one to believe. You're also wrong in your  statement "No security vendor supports beta versions of software." If that were the case then the Norton 21 beta wouldn't work at all in the Win 8.1 preview. Do us all a favor and engage your brain, check your information BEFORE you post your replies.

Main PC: Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) - AMD FX-4130 3.8 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 1600 - NIS 2013 (21.1.0.18) - NU 16 - IE11, Firefox, Safari, Chrome 31
Kudos3

<< You're also wrong in your  statement "No security vendor supports beta versions of software." If that were the case then the Norton 21 beta wouldn't work at all in the Win 8.1 preview.  >>

Support and works are not the same. Something may well work under certain circumstances but if something goes wrong then you can't count on help from the source ..... although in fact one can see here that Norton does give help and does release supported versions as soon as it can be reasonably happy that too much is not still unknown territory.

One cannot count on RTM being flawfree from anyone.

And please don't use insulting language about other forum members especially in view of news like this:

Windows 8.1 will RTM in August, release ‘in time for the holidays,’ despite bug concerns 

At its Worldwide Partner Conference (WPC), Microsoft has announced that Windows 8.1 will RTM (release to manufacturing) in late August. If all goes to plan and it follows a similar trajectory to Windows 8, Windows 8.1 should have a release date in October or November — or, in the words of Brandon LeBlanc, a Microsoft communications manager, “just in time for the holidays!” It seems that, despite the sizable number of bugs in Windows 8.1 Preview, Microsoft is intent on pushing ahead with its new, every-year-instead-of-every-three-years rapid release cycle. Will this approach backfire, or will Microsoft have Windows 8.1 cleaned up in time for August?

Hugh
Kudos0

To install, set your computer to Boot in Safe mode re-boot your PC and rerun Norton Internet Security NIS install package and follow instruction. Worked for me.

Kudos0

Can't beleive the unrealistic expectations some have with beta software running on a beta OS.

Gee's O! Simple - don't use beta if stability, support, and performance is what you are after.  If you are after risk, instability, issues, flaws then knock yourself out and beta everything.

There's still a lot of development time available.  And besides, simple things such as a kernel version check, if it is built in NAV/NIS, could cause issues itself.  These major bugs and other issues could be caused by the most simplist of things that will be sorted by release date.

Chill your t1ts.

Replies are locked for this thread.