• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos1

NSS Full System Scan and Other Tasks Stop Working After 3 Weeks...

I've have a recurring issue with Norton Security Suite. I have the latest version of NSS 20.3.1.22

After installing a fresh copy, after using NRT to remove all traces of the product before hand, I usually change the Full System Scan from 30 days down to 7 days. In the past, I've even set it to run at an exact time and day (for example, Friday night at 8pm). It would always run the first and second week. Come the third week of it being installed, no taks but Quick Scan, Auto LiveUpdater, and Pulse Update would run. Tasks like Norton Insight, PC Tuneup tasks, Insight Optimizer, and Full System Scan would stop running after it has been installed for three weeks.

This seems weird. Why would it just stop working after three weeks? So what I end up doing is un-installing, using NRT, and re-installing the product all the time just so I can get a functioning anti-virus product running. This absolutely should not be what I need to keep doing to be constantly protected.

Does anyone have a clue what is going on with it?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: NSS Full System Scan and Other Tasks Stop Working After 3 Weeks...

Hi BruiserBrody

The latest version is currently 20.4.0.40 but having the previous version shouldn’t cause any problems.

What happens if you try a manual full scan?

Can you check your history for scans as I have set auto scan to test for another person who was having a problem and noticed that the scan would run early or late and sometimes not at all and then would run on time.

Have you or have you ever had any other security software including any trial security software on the computer including Norton? 

Try running autofix by clicking the Norton icon, click support, click get support and let it run then restart the computer.  It should tell you if any items where fixed.  If you get an error message about MBAM then just click on skip on the error screen.

ATB

Intesec

Kudos1

intesec wrote:

Hi BruiserBrody

The latest version is currently 20.4.0.40 but having the previous version shouldn’t cause any problems.

ATB

Intesec

The Comcast supplied Norton Security Suite, NSS, has not caught up to the main stream Norton products. They are often a version behind, which has been a thorn in the side of Comcast users.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

I've noticed that if I unchecked "run during idle" it will run without issue. And in the past I have gotten it to run with manual full scan.

But what really makes no sense is that all these idle tasks run perfect for two weeks and then just happen to stop working. That to me, since it happens each and every single time I have to re-install the software, seems like a bug in the software or something. I mean, if it was my computer causing this issue, then it would happen all the time, not work fine for two weeks before hand, right? Seems weird.

And no, Norton is the only installed security software.

And I've done the autofix thing as well.

Kudos0

Hi BruiserBrody

A while ago I posted on this forum that Norton on a full scan was only scanning half the files, which I thought was a bug or something.  But Norton has what could be described as intelligence so it was skipping files that it knew there was no change or use of.  So as a test on the third week perform activities that are not your normal activities, download some data, uninstall and reinstall programmes, create new folders rename files and paste then into the folders, rip some music cd’s and so on.

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

BrusierBrody - is this by chance happening on a laptop?

Kudos0

No, regular PC. Windows 7 professional.

Kudos0

Another thing I noticed with full system scan. When it ran in the past, I've noticed that it no longer informs the user that the task is currently in progress. It use to have a side pop-in like all other background tasks letting you know it was performing the task.  Is this still supposed to happen and mine for some reason no longer did it, or is this just a feature that was removed in some recent upgrade?

Also, still this morning, nothing has changed as far as these tasks runnin.

And I just noticed that reply from intesec. I pretty much download something daily and delete things regularly, including yesterday and this morning, and no change with this problem.

Kudos0

This is still an issue. Does anyone have a clue how to fix it?

Kudos0

Hi BruiserBrody

Here’s some things you might like to try?

Can you check in your history to confirm what Norton tasks are being performed if you double click on the task in history it will open up a window with more detail?

I have NIS so don’t know the 360 path to insight protection that can be turned on or off also check to see if you can find notifications that can be turned on or off?

Set the full scan to run every day and uncheck idle time then restart the computer, set the computer to never turn off as Norton will not wake the computer from sleep or hibernation check in the history to see if it does run?  I mentioned previously that a person was having a problem with schedule full scans and after asking them to do this there where no more post so I don’t know if it had any affect on forcing the Norton product out of a bug.

As you wrote, un-installing, using NRT can you clarify that the below process was used to remove Norton as it does seem to be a better way to remove Norton (see the link below) which if you haven’t done it like this you may like to try it?

Check post 8,10 and 11

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Norton-360-Premium-amp-Continues-Error-Message-8504-104/m-p/982279#M92708

To uninstall any security software use the windows add/remove programme first then restart the computer, then run the removal tool, then restart the computer. 

If you have run the removal tool for Norton then, reinstall Norton, run live updates as many times as it takes to get, no more live updates, restarting as required.

You might like to backup the personal data and you’ll need to backup or export in both formats your identity safe and any other users identity safe if it is used, before doing the above.

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

Quick scan, pulse updates, automatic liveupdates, and norton community watch are the tasks that run without issues.

The ones that don't run include full scan, insight optimizer, norton insight, windows temp file removal, internet explorer temp file removal. Those last two should've run last night but they did not. And I installed a new game this morning and insight optimizer should've ran after the computer went idle, but that did not either.

In the past when the Full scan did not run, I did a test where I set it so that it would run when it was not idle, and it does run. But then trying to go back so that it will always run during idle again, it will never run. But since quick scan always run during idle, I do not see why this is an issue in the first place anyways. It's so weird how it won't get triggered.

And yeah, I've used the add/remove Norton first. Then NRT. Including all the required restarts. Then the re-install and all the manual live updates until no more have been found and then one last restart.

Kudos0

So, as you can see, I haven't replied to this topic since the 16th. But I am back because the issue has returned.

Two weeks ago NSS got updated to 20.4.0.40 and immediately all tasks that weren't working started working again. Full Scan ran. Norton Insight ran. Windows Temp File Remover/Internet Explorer Temp File Remover ran. Even Disk Optimization ran the other day. Two weeks later, it stopped working, as I suspected it would.

Why does it continue to run two weeks in a row and then stop when I get new updates or when I do a fresh install? It makes no sense why it would stop working after two weeks right on que.

Someone must know of a fix. It's insane how it constantly does this.

Kudos0

No one has any clue how to fix this?

Kudos0

I may be missing something, but how do you have the Full System Scan scheduled at present?  What interval do you have it set for?

Also what do you have selected on the Automatic  Tasks Tab of  the Task Scheduling Settings?  Also how do you have the Scheduling Tab of the Task Scheduling Settings set?

I'm trying to get straight in my head how you have the scheduling set up - especially since you keep mentioning every two weeks.

Once I understand exactly how you have it set up I may be able to assist you.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

I may be missing something, but how do you have the Full System Scan scheduled at present?  What interval do you have it set for?

Also what do you have selected on the Automatic  Tasks Tab of  the Task Scheduling Settings?  Also how do you have the Scheduling Tab of the Task Scheduling Settings set?

I'm trying to get straight in my head how you have the scheduling set up - especially since you keep mentioning every two weeks.

Once I understand exactly how you have it set up I may be able to assist you.

Full System Scan: Run every 7 days, only during idle. in the past I have had it set to run during a specific day (during some re-installs I've set ot to Friday, another re-install I had it set for Saturday instead. And have set them to run at a specific time like say 7pm).

Automatic Tasks: IE Temp Files, Windows Temp Files, and Disk Optimizater all checked.

Scheduling: Automatic

The "every two weeks" thing is only when I either uninstall and re-install or if a new version of the software is downloaded via updater. As in, two weeks from the time I install the product, it will stop working. or two two weeks following a brand new update, the product will again start working as intended only to stop working two weeks later.

Kudos0

Thanks for the info - it appears all your settings are as they should be to do what you desire - however (you knew that was coming didn't you?) - it has been asked if you ever had any other Security Programs on your system other than Norton Security Suite.  I have to ask again - did you ever have a trial AV/security program installed (perhpas from the manufacturer), do you have any other securtiy programs currently installed - such as MBAM Pro, SAS Pro, Sybot S & D with Tea-timer enabled? 

Is there any other program installed or do you have your "Power Options" set so that the system never achieves Idle - but goes into hibernation/sleep and the scheduling can not work because it is not in Idle? 

You'll say why does it work for 2 weeks before messing up if it does not go into Idle?  After a clean install of the program one of the taksk have been accomplished - in other words you start with a clean slate - as all your tasks will show as Never on the Norton Tasks Check.  So perhaps the first two weeks after the clean install things "appear to be working" - but actually only a baseline is being set as the intial tasks are performed.  Ofc ourse it is weird that it always takes 2 weeks to complete the intial tasks - but whio knows.

I think I have given you enough to check for the time being. and feel free to "Quote my post" and write in your answers with in the quote if that is easier.

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Thanks for the info - it appears all your settings are as they should be to do what you desire - however (you knew that was coming didn't you?) - it has been asked if you ever had any other Security Programs on your system other than Norton Security Suite.  I have to ask again - did you ever have a trial AV/security program installed (perhpas from the manufacturer), do you have any other securtiy programs currently installed - such as MBAM Pro, SAS Pro, Sybot S & D with Tea-timer enabled? 

----No other Antivirus' installed. I am certain there was a trial during the first time I used the computer but I did a complete uninstall. I should state that this issue hasn't always happened. In the first couple of years of it's install, it has been perfectly running. It's only within the last several months that it happened.

Is there any other program installed or do you have your "Power Options" set so that the system never achieves Idle - but goes into hibernation/sleep and the scheduling can not work because it is not in Idle? 

---My computer never goes into hibernation, sleep, monitor shut off, or screen saver. Nothing of that sort.

You'll say why does it work for 2 weeks before messing up if it does not go into Idle?  After a clean install of the program one of the taksk have been accomplished - in other words you start with a clean slate - as all your tasks will show as Never on the Norton Tasks Check.  So perhaps the first two weeks after the clean install things "appear to be working" - but actually only a baseline is being set as the intial tasks are performed.  Ofc ourse it is weird that it always takes 2 weeks to complete the intial tasks - but whio knows.

---I am not really sure what you mean here. But basically, let's say I did a clean install this morning. Every single task that should run will run. The next day, all the daily tasks like update, pulse update, norton community watch, norton insight, they will all run. 5 days from the initial setup, IE Temp Files/Windows Temp Files will run again. 7 days from initial setup, Full System Scan will run again. 10 days from initial setup, IE Temp Files/Windows Temp Files will run again. 14 days from initial setup and Full System Scan will run again. Then sometime after this I will notice that Norton Insight will stop working. And when the IE Temp Files/Windows Temp Files should be running 5 days after the last time it ran and it will not have run. Then 7 days from the last Full Scan and that won't have run either. Is this clearer?

I think I have given you enough to check for the time being. and feel free to "Quote my post" and write in your answers with in the quote if that is easier.

Kudos0

Well, OK - you seem to have the runs down to a science - which I do not and BTW - my systems do not run the same as you say yours do.  My temp file cleanups do not run every 5 days that I am aware of - but I have run the manually today - just to see when they do run again.

I am really curious as to where you found the information on the schedule ( 5 days for temp, 7 days for Full Scan etc.)  I now for a fact that my Automatic Full Scan does not run but once every 30 days (notice I said Automatic - not scheduled).  The checked tasks from the Task scheduling page also run when the Automatic Full system scan runs - so my temp files are never cleaned other than 30 days - when the Automatic Full System Scan runs.

Sorry if I seem  to be a non-believer in what you are saying, but if I rememebr correctly the Automatic Full system Scan went from 7 days to 30 days with version 20 about 8 or so months ago.  That would cause the selected Automatic Tasks to only be done every 30 days as well - if I am thinking correclty.

Hopefully someone else can jump in and m,ake some sense out of this situation - as I am at a lose at the moment.  It may be why you received  little help in the past month or so.  Sorry I wasn't more help.

Kudos0

I found this info, on the temp file cleanup, because when they finish running, a side pop-in thing shows up on the right hand corner informing me of "PC tuneup" and I noticed it ran every 5 days.

As for 7 days for full scan instead of 30, I manually changed that in the AntiVirus config setup when I noticed it was changed, as you said, during one of the updates. I like things done weekly and not after a month. It runs automatically every 7 days, though. I do not click manual to run it.

I've never noticed the checked tasks from the task scheduling page running at the time when automatic full scan runs. Never happened for me.

Kudos0

- WIndows 7 64-bit

- Norton 360

- IE10

I've had somewhat similar issues with the Scheduled Tasks as it possibly relates to full-system scans.

I run a nightly full-system scan and until a few weeks ago, the checked Scheduled Tasks ran during, or immediately following the full scan.

I had a problem with Norton's compatibility with IE10 regarding one segment of the "remove tracking cookies" option within the full-system scan options. 

The option was working ok with IE9 but when I recently loaded IE10, the "tracking cookies removal" was removing all of my browser usernames & passwords from my frequently-visited 'net page sites.

The guys on the forum gave me the fix for that by suggesting I change the "tracking cookie removal" action to "ignore" within the full-scan option choices in 360.

That fixed the IE10 username/password removal issue but at the same time I changed that option, the Scheduled Task "Tuneup" actions began to behave differently than previousy noticed prior to making that change with the full-scan actions.

I changed the "remove tracking cookies" option back to "Remove" and monitored the "Tuneup" part of my overnight full scans for a few days.  I had to re-enter all of my username/password into in IE10 but I wanted to see what effect, if any, that this would have with the "Tuneup" Tasks.

It had no effect so I returned my full-scan "tracking coolie" option to "Remove".

Bottom line is that, since I had changed that option within the full-scan option page, the "Tuneup" tasks haven't been as consistent, not running after every scan, but they do run periodically so I'm ok with that.

I have the Tuneup Task frequency set to "Automatic", the same as my initial 360 install.

Something interesting with this is that I have a Toshiba Laptop, similar to the Desktop, WIndows 7 64-bit, IE10, Norton 360, running overnight full scans.

The Laptop continues to run the Tuneup Tasks during or right after the scan completes since I see the Sys Tray Tuneup pop-up msg box appearing like I used to see on my Desktop PC.

Kudos0

- Windows 7 64 Bit

- Norton 360 Ver 20.4.0.40

- IE10

How ofen does the Disk Optimizer (Defrag) run within the "Tuneup Tasks"?  Will it trigger the Optimizer action based on the HDD % of fragmentation?  

Here's my screencap from the last time it ran on my PC.

Kudos0

So, this morning I noticed that Norton Insight ran for the first time in nearly two weeks. I was surprised to see it run.

I accidently interupted the Full System Scan which also happened to run for the first time since July 27th. However, since then, even with multiple idle times, it has yet to restart the process. Why is this? In the Norton Tasks window, it shows it as canceled.

This is another reason why the "norton is performing a background taks: full system scan in progress" or whatever it use to say, needs to be brought back. I do not understand why that feature was ruined. I'd obviously not have interrupted the process if some sort of reminder was left on the screen to indicate it was running like every other background task. It's weird that it was even removed in the first place.

Anyways, why won't full system scan resume the process and finish scanning now?

Kudos0

Try running the full system scan manually, then watch to see when the next full scan takes place.

Kudos0

So today, while Norton Insight ran yesterday morning, it did not run this morning. So everything looks to be back to being broken again. Full Scan has yet to run again. And I also downloaded Firefox 23 this morning, so Insight Optimizer should've run today, but it has not.

Kudos0

I had exactly the same problem a while back--full scan wouldn't work and neither would backup. I thought the problem was solved and I tagged it as so.  I did that because automatic backup and full scan started working with a newer version of Comcast NSS.  Well it has been a few weeks and it has stopped working.

I've checked all the settings and have the latest updates. Backup and full scan don't run on multiple machines.  There is definitely a problem.  It is strange that they ran for a while and then stopped.

Kudos0

Have you checked that your system date and time are correct?

Kudos0

Yes my system date and time are correct.  Has anyone here been using NSS and seen the scheduled full scan and automatic backup work regularly for more than a few weeks? 

Kudos0

mjohnsonn wrote:

Yes my system date and time are correct.  Has anyone here been using NSS and seen the scheduled full scan and automatic backup work regularly for more than a few weeks? 

I just checked my NSS (20.4.0.40) running on a Win 7 desktop and I show Full System Scans being done close to every days for the last 3 months - that's as far back as mu history goes, as I cleared it back in April.

I have had Backup disabled ever since I first installed NSS about 3 years ago (whenever Comcast switched to Norton from McAfee) - only because it did not suit my needs (no full image cpability).

FWIW, I also have a Win 7 desktop running NIS (20.4.0.40) and the full system scan runs every 7 days (as shown on my 4 months worth of Scan History).

Just curious, have you tried to create a Custom Scan on your NSS?  I have one set up on NIS - to scan only C: drive every Wed night while I am bowling.  I'm thinking that you could set up a custom scan if you really wanted your drive(s) scanned on a set schedule.  Just rememebr the Tasks listed on Taks Scheduling will not run at the same time as the Custom scan.

Kudos0

mjohnsonn wrote:

I'm running Norton 360 so it may not be the same setup as with NSS but I've been running nightly Full Sys Scans since January with no issues.

I don't run Backup in Norton.

I also run a nightly MBAM full scan.

Kudos0

BruiserBrody, did your stuff ever start running again?  The last full scan on my system ran on 7/30 and the last backup was on 8/4. 

I'm not certain how to set up what you are calling a "custom scan" with NSS.  Under "Full System Scan" I am using the menus to set things up.  It doesn't work on two different machines.

I can't believe the OP and I are the only ones having this problem.  The full scan and backup should run.  I'm guessing plenty of Comcast users just install the software and leave it alone thinking things are running.

It's really odd that things ran for a few weeks with both this version of NSS and the previous one and then just stopped.

Kudos0

@ mjohnson,

Custom Scan:

From the main page of NSS, select TASKS > Run Scans.  Under Computer Scans, select Custom Scan > GO.  On the next page close to the bottom left, Click on the Create Scan.  On the Scan Items Tab make(Add) your selection of Drives, Folders, or Files. when done selecdting, click Next.  On the Scan Schedule Tab, set up is basically the same as what you are using for the Full System scheduled scan.  The select Next and on the Scan Options Tab, make your selection (FWIW I use the Default setttings) Save and then see if it runs as scheduled.

What you say about Comcast users may be true, and for that reason other than running a LiveUpdate manually as soon as I boot up every morning, I leave NSS alone to do it's things, so that I can see what those less tech savy may also be experiencing.  I must admit, even though I am doing that, I have not had any protection problems occur.

Kudos0

mjohnsonn wrote:

BruiserBrody, did your stuff ever start running again?  The last full scan on my system ran on 7/30 and the last backup was on 8/4. 

I manually ran Full Scan on the 10th, so if the two week deal holds true, it may run this Saturday night, we'll see. But Norton Insight last ran on the 8th so again, two weeks would be this coming Thursday the 22nd.

But I did install stuff this weekend and Insight Optimizer never ran even though that last ran three weeks ago. Same with the PC Tuneup tasks, those haven't run since July 27th.

Kudos0

LOL!  Tonight I get a little message from Norton popping out over by the notification area.  It says that my backup hasn't been run lately and suggests that I run it.  Yea NFS!  I know that.  Neither the full scan nor backup run automatically the way they are supposed to. 

I can run them manually sure and that's probably good enough.  I just think Symantec needs to apply a little more work to the Comcast version.  I have two machines on which this stuff doesn't work.  One is a 32-bit laptop with Windows 7, the other is a pretty new i7 64-bit desktop.  I find it hard to believe that there aren't a whole bunch of Comcast customers getting similar results.

Kudos0

Ful System Scan should've run today but it did not.

I am wondering if since I interrupted it that one time a few weeks back, and ran a manual scan two weeks ago caused it to be broken even more so now. That's the only answer I have to why it won't run again like it usually does ever two weeks.

None of the other tasks have run after two weeks either.

Why hasn't there been someone from Norton ever bothered to reply to this topic? Clearly there is something broken with it if someone else has the exact same issue I do. It's not something wrong with my computer since then I'd be the only one with the issue. But that's not the case.

This has been going on far too long to be left unlooked by an engineer or someone...

Kudos0

Hi BruiserBrody

What happens if you set the scan to daily, set the computer to never turn off and uncheck idle time?

There is a BIOS clock that is different to the computer clock and is run off a battery (CMOS) if the battery needs replacing the bios clock will slow and this will show as the clock in the task bar slowing down.  If you set the clock using the web to the second and then check in a week to see if it is losing time, if it is losing time then the computer clock being out can cause problems with the Norton product.

While your looking at the clock can you check on the computer clock that the following are correct?

The time?

The day?

The month?

The Year?

The time zone?

To check the above click on the clock in the task bar, on the dialogue box that opens click on, change date and time settings.

ATB

intesec 

Kudos0

BruiserBrody wrote:

Why hasn't there been someone from Norton ever bothered to reply to this topic? Clearly there is something broken with it if someone else has the exact same issue I do. It's not something wrong with my computer since then I'd be the only one with the issue. But that's not the case.

This has been going on far too long to be left unlooked by an engineer or someone...

Hi BruiserBrody,

I do not know why someone from Norton has not replied.

Have you contacted Norton Support and have them get involved with the troubleshooting of this situation - even if it is just to draw attention this this thread?

I've read thru the thread again and the only thing that I can think of is, that the Windows Task Scheduler used to be used to set up the scheduled Norton Scans (Full and Custom IIRC).  I am just curious if there is a possibility that there is still a scan scheduled in Task Scheduler that is somehow interferring with the schedule you have set in NSS.  I have no idea how or evenif it could interfer - but going totally out in left field with this - let's say Task Scheduler wants to start a scan, Norton Tamper Protection blocks it and as a result somehow or other the scheduled scan you set gets the timing messed.  Pretty far out - but it doesnlt seem like too many other ideas floating around and it would eliminate that possibility.  Also would explain why not many other users are experiencing it.

I am going to ask a Norton employee for some assistance - but have no idea of their work schedule, so please be patient.

Kudos0

intesec wrote:

Hi BruiserBrody

What happens if you set the scan to daily, set the computer to never turn off and uncheck idle time?

ATB

intesec 

Nothing happens if I change it daily. Same situation I am currently in. And for the "uncheck idle time part, that part will always cause the task(s) to run if I uncheck them. I've mentioned that before. It's weird how it will run fine if that is unchecked but if I leave it, nothing will run. Quick Scan, auto updates, pulse updates, norton community watch will all run during idle time. So I do not see why these other tasks are having trouble triggering when that button is checked to "run during idle time only."

As for the clock, all this is correct. It is never slow.

yank wrote:

BruiserBrody wrote:

Hi BruiserBrody,

I do not know why someone from Norton has not replied.

Have you contacted Norton Support and have them get involved with the troubleshooting of this situation - even if it is just to draw attention this this thread?

I've read thru the thread again and the only thing that I can think of is, that the Windows Task Scheduler used to be used to set up the scheduled Norton Scans (Full and Custom IIRC).  I am just curious if there is a possibility that there is still a scan scheduled in Task Scheduler that is somehow interferring with the schedule you have set in NSS.  I have no idea how or evenif it could interfer - but going totally out in left field with this - let's say Task Scheduler wants to start a scan, Norton Tamper Protection blocks it and as a result somehow or other the scheduled scan you set gets the timing messed.  Pretty far out - but it doesnlt seem like too many other ideas floating around and it would eliminate that possibility.  Also would explain why not many other users are experiencing it.

I am going to ask a Norton employee for some assistance - but have no idea of their work schedule, so please be patient.

I checked and there is nothing in the Windows Task Scheduler.

And thanks for the help in getting a Norton employee.

Kudos0

Hi BruiserBrody,

I had sent you a PM on the 8th of August. Please reply when you have time.

Thanks, Kumar
Kudos0

I sent you back a PM, Kumar.

Kudos0

So did you folks work this out via PM?  If so please post your solution or results.  Thanks.

Kudos0

No way this problem is only happening to two of us.  Let's hope Symantec is working hard on the task scheduling parts of NSS for an upcoming release.  It's a bit of a mess right now.

Kudos0

mjohnsonn wrote:

No way this problem is only happening to two of us.  Let's hope Symantec is working hard on the task scheduling parts of NSS for an upcoming release.  It's a bit of a mess right now.

I know, right?

I am still waiting to hear back from them, by the way. It's been over a week and I haven't heard one thing back from them yet.

Kudos0

And still no update on this. Why is it taking so long?

Kudos0

Hi BruiserBrody

Have you considered upgrading to v21.0.1.3 you can always roll back if you don’t like it but some people have some positive comments about it check the link below.  If you do, can you repost for the process for a clean installation?

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/NIS21-AWESOME/td-p/1016951

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

intesec,

Norton Security Suite has not been upgraded to version  21, so BruiserBrody can not upgrade at this time. 

Kudos0

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks without a single reply back from Norton about this. I've sent a PM once a week to the guy who first contacted me, and he has not replyed back with any updates at all. How can this possibly take a month to figure out? It is insane.

Kudos0

Figured I'd post this here too. I really don't understand how it's taking this long. he continues to ignore my PMs it seems as he won't return any of them with some kind of status update to this case.

One day this might be fixed, who knows. But the fact I am not being kept in the loop at all with some kind of update is annoying.

Kudos1

Hi Bruiser....I feel your pain. My computer started acting strange one day (so many ways to describe here)but I posted my problem under " protected Mode" not showing in the space right above the taskbar. That disappeared,the computer took 9 secs. or more to right click something to look at "properties",IE8 not responding etc. I had the Comcast version of NSS version 20.4.0.40 (I'm guessing because I deleted it yesterday) but I know for sure it was 20.4.???. To make MY story short I looked through the community here and saw a lot of people (experts) recommending to uninstall then reinstalling NSS.So,I uninstalled everything from that NSS except for things in the Identity Safe Vault and other files and settings I wanted to keep (they give you the option to remove EVERYTHING or to keep stuff you still want). I did all that and when the install was finished it said I now have Comcast's ***NSS Version 21.1.0.18***.  Well,now instead of my comp. running slow to a crawl...it now takes about .01 secs to open a file compared to 9 secs! EVERYTHING is faster. I did like the previous version's "vault" theme better but this is HEAVEN compared to how it was 2 days ago.I hope I'm not boring the people who already may have read something similar in the community but I just thought I would put my 2 cents in for what it's worth.Good Luck! 

Kudos1

Hi All,

Yes Norton Security Suite version 21.1.0..18 is available from Comcast.  It can be download from the following link and installed over the top of your current installation.  I would advise running an Export of your Identity Safe Data (saved to a USB device or external HDD) prior to doing the upgrade.  If asked if yu desire to save your settings while the download removes your current NSS, select YES!

http://constantguard.comcast.net/norton?cid=NET_33_601

After the installation and Activation is complete, run LiveUpdate (rebooting if requested) unti LIveUpdte responds with the specific words of "no updates found".  You will be totally updated at that point in time.

Any questions- you know where to find us!

Replies are locked for this thread.