• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How to perform silent uninstall of Norton Safe Web Lite/Identity Safe

Due to the fact that Norton Safe Web Lite is automatically upgrading to Norton Identity Safe without our consent, and all indications are that we must completely disable internet access to Norton to prevent the password saving feature, we are looking for a way to to easily uninstall both these toolbars from our environment.  While I've located the command used to initiate the uninstall process (i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\NortonInstaller\{92622AAD-05E8-4459-B256-765CE1E929FB}\NST\LicenseType\2013.4.0.10\InstStub.exe /X /ARP" for Identity Safe) I've been unable to locate a switch which allows for a silent (that is, does not require our end user interaction) uninstall.

Is there a switch that allows system administrators to silently uninstall Safe Web Lite/Identity Safe on all workstations?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to perform silent uninstall of Norton Safe Web Lite/Identity Safe

Due to the fact that Norton Safe Web Lite is automatically upgrading to Norton Identity Safe without our consent, and all indications are that we must completely disable internet access to Norton to prevent the password saving feature, we are looking for a way to to easily uninstall both these toolbars from our environment.  While I've located the command used to initiate the uninstall process (i.e. "C:\Program Files (x86)\NortonInstaller\{92622AAD-05E8-4459-B256-765CE1E929FB}\NST\LicenseType\2013.4.0.10\InstStub.exe /X /ARP" for Identity Safe) I've been unable to locate a switch which allows for a silent (that is, does not require our end user interaction) uninstall.

Is there a switch that allows system administrators to silently uninstall Safe Web Lite/Identity Safe on all workstations?

Kudos0

Someone else with scripting knowledge may help with your specific request.

In the mean time, how many systems are you talking about? Would you be able to use Remote Desktop to go into the systems to do the uninstall?

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

Someone else with scripting knowledge may help with your specific request.

In the mean time, how many systems are you talking about? Would you be able to use Remote Desktop to go into the systems to do the uninstall?

300 workstations, so Remote Desktop would be a last resort type thing.  What about a hack-ish way to disable the plug-in?  For example, disabling the ccSvcHst service, or something like that?  If there isn't a silent uninstall method, is there a way to easily disable the add-in?

Kudos0

Group Policy Editor maybe?? Sorry, I only know about it, not how to use it.

Kudos0

peterweb wrote:

Group Policy Editor maybe?? Sorry, I only know about it, not how to use it.

Unfortunately, even to perform the uninstall through Group Policy, I would need to know what switches to provide to have it automatically and silently uninstall.

Anyone else have any experience/knowledge of how to perform a silent uninstall?

Kudos0

Try posting in the Tech Outpost board in the forum. You will probably find more tech oriented viewers there.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Tech-Outpost/bd-p/Tech_Outpost

Replies are locked for this thread.