• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

How to completely uninstall Norton AntiVirus Version 10.00.00 in Windows XP computer dialup user

I had a new never used 2004 HP Pavilion a535w computer sitting in its original box in the back of my closet for years. This past Spring I set it up for the first time. It came with Windows XP Home and Norton AntiVirus 2004 installed on the system. Its renewal has long since expired so I wish to completely remove all traces of Norton A-V on my system including the registry. Looking in the Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs I see "Norton AntVirus 2004 (Symantec Corporation) Version 10.00.00" and "Noton WMI Udate Version 2005.1.2.20". The renewal date has expired and the virus definitions are from 12/18/2003. I am using a slow dialup connection with Netzero.

Would you please be so kind as to tell me step by step how to remove all traces of Norton A-V and WMI Update on my computer.

Thank you

Replies

Kudos0

Re: How to completely uninstall Norton AntiVirus Version 10.00.00 in Windows XP computer dialup user

Even though you are on dial up, you will still have to download the Norton Removal Tool. It is only 850 KB so should not be a problem.   www.norton.com/nrt

Start by removing Norton using Control Panel.

Restart your computer.

Run the NRT.

Restart your computer. 

Now check to see if there are any other Norton or Symantec products listed in Control Panel, and if so uninstall them from Control Panel.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Re: How to completely uninstall Norton AntiVirus Version 10.00.00 in Windows XP computer dialup user

Hi sweets

Set windows defender and windows firewall as your security then get updates and recheck for updates until there are no more updates restarting the computer as required.

To uninstall any security software use the windows add/remove programme then restart the computer, then run the removal tool for the specific version of the security software that is available from the security software’s main site, then restart the computer.  This process should be done for each security software to be uninstalled, meaning one at a time.

Norton removal tool.

www.Norton.com/nrt

You need to be using windows SP3 as that is the latest version for XP, you may also need to check your drivers are up to date by going to the computer manufacturers main website.

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

FWIW - Here is a link to information on an older version of the Norton Removal Tool:  It was called SymNRT in the old days.  BTW - the download you desire is on the Left.

http://download.cnet.com/Norton-Removal-Tool-SymNRT/3000-2239_4-87943.html

It does include the 2004 version of NAV that you have and does not mention the newer versions, so it might do the trick for you - in case what has been said previously does not work.

In regards to Norton WMI Updater removal - from most Google searches it looks like you have to remove a registry entry to totally get rid of it.  It appears it wil not remove via the Add/emove Programs, nor with the NRT. I'll give you the link - but I take no responsiblity for whathappens, s I havenot tried the procedure outlined and please bckup your registry prior to even opening it.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6471520_remove-norton-wmi-update-registry.html

Let us know how things go with all the suggestions you try.

Kudos0

Are you sure Norton Removal Tool is used for Norton 10? Do you have the link for its use on my particular version? Is the first step to remove both Norton 10 and WMI Update from the Control Panel's Add & Remove Programs? I was told  in another forum that NRT would not remove this version. Thank you 

Kudos0

Hi sweets - who is your queston intended for - since there are now two different versions of NRT mentioned in the suggestions?

If it is meant for me - the link I provided states in part and you stated you had NAV 2004 installed(which if memory serves me correctly was version 10)

Programs that SymNRT can remove:

• SymNRT removes these--and only these--Norton programs:
  • Norton AntiVirus 2004/2005/2006

and many others as outlined in the link.

Yes, you should remove both from the Control Panel - but I also understand from other information I have researched that the WMI probably will not be removed from Add/Remove Programs until the rgistry I referred to is removed. 

There is a difference between the older SymNRT (which I linked) and the most recent NRT which Peter and intesec linked. 

Kudos0

Hi again sweets - please double check your version (and year) of NAV.  I have done some more research and it appears that the Version 10 you are calling NAV 2004 is in fact NAV 2003.  It appears version 11 is the NAV 2004.

If that is the case, then you will need an even older version of the NRT called RNAV2003 which can be downlaod from here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/norton_antivirus_rnav2003.html

Once you figure out which version you have, you shld be able to tell which version of the remvoal tool you will need to use.

Please keep us informed.

Kudos0

Clicking on the support info for Norton AV in the Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs pane I get "Norton AntiVirus 2004 Version 10.00.00" for Norton WMI Update support info I get "Version 2005.1.2.20" What should I do to remove these completely please and is there any more info you need to determine this? Thank you

Kudos0

sweets,  if it is in fact NAV 2004, then the SymNRT is the one to use.  Thus you would remove NAV 2004 from Add/Remove Programs, reboot, run the SymNRT, and reboot.

For the WMI, try to remove it from Add/Remove, and reboot.  If the entry remains in Add/Remove, follow the info in the link above for the registry removal.

Let us know how you get on. 

Kudos0

Isnt there a definitive way to determine which version NAV I have so that I can remove the product the right way? When I open NAV from the icon i read "virus definitions last updated 12/18/2003", which Im assuming is when it was loaded on the system. It clearly states its Norton AV 2004 and the Control panel states its version 10.00.00. I dont want to make any mistakes. Thanks 

Kudos0

You can post a screenshot of the main NAV window that you say clearly states Norton AV 2004.

Instructions to post screenshots can be found here
http://community.norton.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/Forum-Tip-How-to-post-screenshots-in-the-forum/m-p/254415#U254415

It is possible you updated from 2003 v10 to 2004 v11 but the entry in Control Panel did not get updated.

Kudos0

Hi sweets

I’d just like to mention that in the past it was recommended that the Norton removal tool be run twice and I assume that a restart between running it would be beneficial, I don’t know if what I’ve mentioned is related to the removal tools being discussed but some one who does know may post.

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

intesec wrote:

Hi sweets

I’d just like to mention that in the past it was recommended that the Norton removal tool be run twice and I assume that a restart between running it would be beneficial, I don’t know if what I’ve mentioned is related to the removal tools being discussed but some one who does know may post.

ATB

intesec

The recommendation to run the NRT twice was lifted with the 2012 version - it was normal practice to suggest to run the NRT twice with a reboot in between prior to that product - so in regards to both the RNAV and the SymNRT the double run would be the suggested normal practice. 

Kudos0

Was unable to capture a screenshot however under Help & Support for NAV was stated "Version 10.0.29.4 NAV 2004". Does this clarify things?

Kudos0

Yes, and I have done searches for Norton Antivirus 2004 version 10.0.29.4 and from what I see being discussed on the hits - that is NAV 2004 and the SymNRT should be the removal tool to use after removal from Add/Remove and a reboot.

Kudos0

So I'm to remove NAV 2004 first in the Control Panel's Add & Remove Programs, then double run SymNRT and then do the same for WMI Updater ? And that should do it?

Kudos0

No - you are to remove  NAV 2004 from Control Panel Add/Remove Programs, Reboot, then  dioubsle run the SymNRT with a reboot bettwen each run and after the second run.  That should clean out NAV 2004.

For Norton WMI Updater, remove it from Control Panel Add/Remmove Programs and reboot.  If it is not removed from Control Panel Add/Remove at that time, go ahead and follow the link for the registry removal which is here

That should do it!

Kudos0

Thank you all.Thak you for the clarification. I shall repost after doing so...

Kudos0

sweets wrote:

So I'm to remove NAV 2004 first in the Control Panel's Add & Remove Programs, then double run SymNRT and then do the same for WMI Updater ? And that should do it?

At the risk of further complicating life for you PLEASE follow the route that Yank gives earlier with a link on exactly how to edit the registry to remove the reference to WMI Updater

It should be safe to use the link in Yank's earlier message:

He prudently says he has no experience of it so can't vouch for it but I've seen the same procedure given as a working solution in the Wilders forums although without the detail of what to delete.

One point I would add is do not make a change to the registry without first backing it up which is done when you open it as described in Step 3 but first click on File / Export and choose a place you can get back to to save it to. Then follow the remaining steps in that article.

I hope that helps and not confuses.

Hugh
Kudos0

yank wrote:

FWIW - Here is a link to information on an older version of the Norton Removal Tool:  It was called SymNRT in the old days.  BTW - the download you desire is on the Left.

http://download.cnet.com/Norton-Removal-Tool-SymNRT/3000-2239_4-87943.html

It does include the 2004 version of NAV that you have and does not mention the newer versions, so it might do the trick for you - in case what has been said previously does not work.

In regards to Norton WMI Updater removal - from most Google searches it looks like you have to remove a registry entry to totally get rid of it.  It appears it wil not remove via the Add/emove Programs, nor with the NRT. I'll give you the link - but I take no responsiblity for whathappens, s I havenot tried the procedure outlined and please bckup your registry prior to even opening it.

Let us know how things go with all the suggestions you try.

Hi Yank,

The current NRT will work on NIS?NAV 2004.  Please see below.

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

That'll teach me to remember the old days and the old tools, do some research to help out and get proven wrong - time for supper anyway!   BTW - does it also work on 2013?  Must be an older writeup, prior to the 2013 products - maybe why I misssed it.

Kudos0

At the risk of sounding stupid i dont know how to back up the registry..

Kudos0

"BTW - does it also work on 2013?  Must be an older writeup, prior to the 2013 products"

Yep, Norton AntiVirus 2003 through 2012, 20.x

Windows 7 x64 SP1 | NSwB 22.1 | MBAM Premium | MBAE Free | HMP.A 2 | SpywareBlaster
Kudos0

Dave - please give me a link so I can bookmark it to avoid being embarassed in the open forum in the future.

<edit> Sweets - sorrry for side tracking this thread!

Kudos0

yank wrote:

Dave - please give me a link so I can bookmark it to avoid being embarassed in the open forum in the future.

<edit> Sweets - sorrry for side tracking this thread!

I'm not sure what link you're after, www.norton.com/nrt works for me.

Kudos0

Hi sweets

I use mzbackup on the link below but there are other registry backup tools available that you may look for on the web.  A word of warning about cnet download it can have a lot of garbage bundled in the download.  

Download and install the registry backup tool, click on the icon to open it. Click in the circle to check create a full registry back up, type in the description box what you would like to call it, this is what you will see when you click on the restore registry button on the user interface, if you follow the path below then it will be the date it was created that will identify it.  My registry back up is about 30mb and takes about three minutes to create a back up, but I clean out my registry now and again, having said that I need to mention or there might be some heavy traffic from the big badges, that its not recommended to clean your registry.

C:\Program Files\Mz Ultimate Tools\Mz Registry Backup\Backups\16_07_2013

Seventh one down.

http://www.freewareplanet.net/registry.php?page=5

If you have any questions please ask.

ATB

intesec

Kudos1

Why do you need a third party registry backup  tool when regedit is part of windows and backup is built into it?

Hugh
Kudos0

In following the article  How To Remove WMI Updater  when opening the registry editor I click the Software tab under HKEY_CURRENT_USER I dont see Norton WMI Update anywhere on the left pane even before I attempted to remove it from the Control Panel. I checked in the Symantec folder there's two subfolders: Norton AV and Shared Technologies but Norton WMI Update is not there. Am I missing something?

This is just a guess but it could be that since I never actually was able to do an update because the subscription expired years before I set up this computer, that once I eliminate WMI Updater in the Control Panel that may be the end of it. It may not actually exist in the registry but what do you think?? Thank you.

Kudos0

Good morning sweets,

Here is some informatrion for you to use  to backup your registry - I do believe it is the detailed info forwhat huwyngr was referring to. 

If Norton WMI Updater is removed from Add/Remove Programs and does not show on that registry key - then I feel it is safe to say it is removed.

Kudos0

After downloading the 761 KB download of SymNRT from the CNET link provided here to my Desktop and removing NAV 2004 from the Control Panel I clicked Run for SymNRT and got this: "The version of Norton Removal Tool that you are using is expired" So that did not work.

The also provided this link:

http://www.symantec.com/nrtexpired

Which has three steps one of which deletes temporary files and the other has the download for the newere NRT removal tool, the third talks about correcting date/time which doesnt apply

Should i follow the steps described in the link above?? Thanks

Kudos0

Try the link that Krusty13 provided above. Choose the version for Norton Antivirus , Internet security or 360.

www.norton.com/nrt

Kudos0

Yes, you can follow those instructions - the Temp folder will be rebuilt as necessary upon restart.

The NRT in those instructions is the same version as the one Krusty13 & peterweb posted.  The cleaning of the Temp folder is just one addtional step that can be used in addition to the NRT which removes temp files that potentially affect a reinstall - thus a more in depth cleaning.

Kudos0

Thank you!

It appears after running the nrt posted in the last reply twice with a reboot inbetween, I no longer see not only WMI Updater in the Control Panel's Add & Remove Programs, (I never even clicked to remove it there), and in the Registry Editor's Software for HKEY_CURRENT_USER,  I no longer see Symantec, Norton or Shared Technologies.

http://www.symantec.com/nrtexpired

However when I type %temp% in the Run box I see many many files... some of them contain names including: "NAVLiveRe...", "NortonAntiVirus 20...", "SymNRT"... Do I delete ALL these files? Or do I leave this alone? Am I finished??

Thanks 

Kudos0

Yes, you are to Select ALL and then Delete - which will delete all those files - that is part of the total cleaning thatis accomplished above that cleaned y the NRT.

Kudos0

"Cannot delete ~DFD3AF~ : Access is denied"

When I tried to delete ALL these temp files 44 out of the 97 files went to the Recycle Bin 53 would not delete. None of the NortonAV and SYMNRT files got deleted. They are still there in the temp box. So now what...??

Thanks  

Kudos0

Are you using an account with admin priviledges?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298345

<EDIT>  This is the link that the What if this doesn"t work? at the bottom of the instuctions you were following takes you to:

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080512150253EN_EndUserProfile_en_us?entsrc=redirect_pubweb&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1        I do belive that is a different key than what you were referred to before.

Kudos0

Administrative priviledges? I dont know, will have to check... But what I did was to delete the files individually... all but three files I was able to send to the Recycle Bin. I got rid of all files containing NAV and SymNRT. Should I be able to get rid of all these files??  When i go back to this Temp folder at various times, there are always new files in there.

Again, should i be able to delete all files in there?? I no longer have any NAV or SymNRT files in there..

There is no longer any SymNRT to be found in the Registry Editor

I was able to eliminate all NAV and SymNRT files singly and none have returned. Is it possible some of the files I dont have access to or are denied from deleting are necessary and in use??

Kudos0

As long as you got all the Norton related files as you mentiond deleted - you should be fine.  I mentioned the Temp file will rebuild itself - that's the new files it is adding - you should be done. 

Kudos0

Yes i dont see any  WMI Updater, NAV or SymNRT files in the registry editor, temp files accumulating or in the Control Panel. I guess I'm done?? Anything else to check??

Kudos0

Off the top of my head - it sounds like you are good to go.

Kudos0

sweets wrote:

"Cannot delete ~DFD3AF~ : Access is denied"

When I tried to delete ALL these temp files 44 out of the 97 files went to the Recycle Bin 53 would not delete. None of the NortonAV and SYMNRT files got deleted. They are still there in the temp box. So now what...??

Thanks  

Often when you try to clear your temp directory, there are files that Windows or some other application are using. These cannot be deleted while in use. Try rebooting your computer and do not start any programs except Windows Explorer to try to delete the files in Temp directory.

If you do not want to bother, that is fine too, as these files are not related to your original question of uninstalling Norton.

Be sure you have installed some kind of security software before going on the internet.

Kudos0

Sweets,

I don't think I've ever gone into the temp directories direct to clean out files -- I've either Right Mouse CLick selected the drive and Disk CLean on the Properties TAB and let it list what it thinks can go; then select or deselect of I differ OR I run CCleaner's Cleaner mode ( I deselect anything to do with Fonts since Windows 7 on is especially fussy and doesn't want people messing there and I deselect Cookies if I have many sites that automatically log me in and I don't use Identity Safe).

I don't recommend that anyone use an automatic registry cleaner (that CCleaner and N360) include unless they really have a problem that they have reason to believe is registry connected and have a backup.

Hugh
Kudos0

Is it allright to install an earlier version of a free Anti Virus program? The latest versions Of Avast, Avira and Microsoft A V are such huge downloads it would take literally several days to install on my dialup computer. I dont have access to anyones high speed connection either. I was thinking specifically Avast 5 of a couple years ago... Would I be able to update antivirus definitions with an older version of a free AV program? Thanks

Kudos0

sweets wrote:

Is it allright to install an earlier version of a free Anti Virus program? The latest versions Of Avast, Avira and Microsoft A V are such huge downloads it would take literally several days to install on my dialup computer. I dont have access to anyones high speed connection either. I was thinking specifically Avast 5 of a couple years ago...

As a computer owner, you are free to install whatever you are comfortable with. An older version may not protect you from the latest kind of  threats.

Another option might be to order a disc from a reputable source.

Would I be able to update antivirus definitions with an older version of a free AV program?

That is a question you would have to research from the company you choose. Norton does update definitions for older products, but with a free A/V the support may not last as long.

Thanks

Kudos0

FWIW - NAV 2013 no defs download is only 62.7 MB - just slightly larger than the Avast 5 Free (somewhere in the neighborhood of 52 MB)  you are talking about.  Of course there is a cost involved and also you would have to run the updates to get the definitions installed.

Kudos0

I have a CD with Avast 5, just wanted to know if I could get adequate av protection from an older version

Kudos0

sweets wrote:

I have a CD with Avast 5, just wanted to know if I could get adequate av protection from an older version

That should work fine. Just be sure you update the definitions to protect you from anything that might try to get into your computer via CDs, thumb drives, or your Dial up connection.

Replies are locked for this thread.