• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

Full System Scan is disabling devices on new USB card

I recently installed a new VisionTek USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card (4 USB ports) in my Windows 7 computer. Everything went fine with the installation, and all the devices I plugged into it were recognized properly by my computer.

That is until I run the Full System Scan with Norton 360. Then the devices are no longer available to my computer.

I can plug those same devices into any of the original USB ports on my computer, and they work, and continue to work, even after running the Norton Full System Scan.

Is there some setting I can change in Norton 360, so that I can use the new USB card, without Norton disabling the devices?

Thanks,

Don Sepanski

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Full System Scan is disabling devices on new USB card

I recently installed a new VisionTek USB 3.0 PCI Express Expansion Card (4 USB ports) in my Windows 7 computer. Everything went fine with the installation, and all the devices I plugged into it were recognized properly by my computer.

That is until I run the Full System Scan with Norton 360. Then the devices are no longer available to my computer.

I can plug those same devices into any of the original USB ports on my computer, and they work, and continue to work, even after running the Norton Full System Scan.

Is there some setting I can change in Norton 360, so that I can use the new USB card, without Norton disabling the devices?

Thanks,

Don Sepanski

Kudos0

Hi dsepanski

The Norton scan may have deleted some of the driver information from the CD to check if this is the case.

Physically disconnect from the Internet.

Uninstall the device software (drivers).

Restart the computer.

Perform a full Norton scan and delete files found.

Install the software and restart the computer if requested.

Check the function of the device if it doesn’t work the device may be faulty, if it works ok then perform a full Norton scan and check to see what it finds export the results and check these and if you are sure you can go to quarantine and restore the file or files and exclude them from further scans if you’re not sure then repost the exported data here for a second opinion.

If you have any questions please repost.

If you could let Norton know about the problem file or files and where to find them, they can assess it for being a false positive, please use the link below.

https://submit.symantec.com/false_positive

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

Thanks for the reply and procedure to try.

I'll likely do this later today, and report what I find.

I'm glad to hear there's a way to exclude a file from being deleted by Norton. I'm sure this will be what I'll be dong, after I find out what the file is that Norton is deleting.

Don

Kudos0

I finally managed to find time to follow the procedure you listed.

I'm happy to report that the Full Scan did not disable my USB card, and that it appears, after quite a few days of overnight scanning, the Norton Full Scan is not removing the USB Driver files anymore.

Don't know why it stopped, it definitely was doing that from when I first installed the USB card. But now it's not, so at least for now I'm happy.

I hope it holds like this.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Kudos0

Hi Don,

Glad to hear you got it working !

<edit> FWIW - the mystery repair may have been a simple reboot!  I remain amazed at what a reboot can fix sometimes!

Kudos0

dsepanski wrote:

I finally managed to find time to follow the procedure you listed.

I'm happy to report that the Full Scan did not disable my USB card, and that it appears, after quite a few days of overnight scanning, the Norton Full Scan is not removing the USB Driver files anymore.

Don't know why it stopped, it definitely was doing that from when I first installed the USB card. But now it's not, so at least for now I'm happy.

I hope it holds like this.

Thanks for your help.

Don

There were some false postive issues that affected Windows system files being detected as bad. LiveUpdates have been issued to fix this and this could explain why it not longer gets removed.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Kudos0

Hi dsepanski  2

Thanks for posting as to how it worked out.

Just to add another possible explanation, orton collects the error information that it detects and sends it for analysis so in the time you first got the problem and then proceeded through the process Norton may have evaluated the file as a false positive and sent the information out in an update.

ATB

intesec

Kudos0

Another possibility, depending on what Norton 360 does under Full System Scan, is that the dreaded registry cleaner took out something that it should not have done.

From what I remember of N360 there is a kind of FixIt screen that comes up at intervals and wants you to let it do a full kit of things including opimizing the drive and cleaning the registry ?

Hugh

Replies are locked for this thread.