• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs
Kudos0

[CLOSED] ICE Virus in Windows 8 Laptop

How do I remove the ICE virus from my Dell Windows 8 (64bit) laptop?

Replies

Kudos0

Re: [CLOSED] ICE Virus in Windows 8 Laptop

[Instructions are for the thread starters system only, Not another users system]

Please Read  http://community.norton.com/t5/Malware-Discussion/Malware-Discussion-Board-Guidelines/td-p/961409

This is to make sure the user has seen the Guidelines before starting.  

Even other Malware Removal forums state like

"you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Removal Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.
From this point on the Malware Removal Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean."

Users have to realise these tools used can cause problems anyway, and if instructions are not followed, bigger problems can occur from deleting something that shouldn't be, the program has caused the system to freeze, the program jammed during the restart etc etc.  and so we use instructions to allow the tools to be in the correct location (so we also know) settings given so that items won't be automatically deleted, other programs disabled so things can be done without detection or conflict.

When the user follow instructions and things still go a little haywire, and it does happen, it is up to us to sort the extra problem out.

Confirm in Reply you have read and understand the Guidelines etc.

Quads

Kudos0

OK. Thanks. I've read the instructions.

Kudos0

Do you have more than one user account tou can logon to??

If NOT  Windows 8 is different when it comes to getting to the advanced menu compared to Vista and Windows 7, unless you have changed the BCD to add an entry.

Quads

Kudos0

No.  Just one user account on my laptop.

Kudos0

You will need a Flash Drive and to download a Program.

Quads

Kudos0

I have several flash drives.  How big?

Kudos0

Not much space on the Flash Drive is required, like less then 10mb usually.

Quads

Kudos0

Great.  I'll use a 120MB one then.

Kudos0

Please download http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/   You need to download the 64 bit version.

Transfer it on to the Flash Drive.

Quads

Kudos0

Does it install on my desktop computer?  Where do I find the file after I've downloaded it? Can I download it directly to the flashdrive?

Kudos0

After downloading FRST64.exe you need to transfer the file on to the Flash Drive.

You find it like every other file or document you download.

Quads

Kudos0

I get this message:  Unfortunately the page that you requested does not exist.

Kudos0

Sorry.  It's there.  I pasted the link into my browser.  That must have put my in the wrong place. I'll download it now.

Kudos0

I've downloaded FRST64.exe and transferred it to my flash drive.

Kudos0

It is not to be in a folder on the Flash Drive but on the systemroot of the Flash Drive (for instance  e:\frst.exe).

Then Plug the Flash Drive into the infected laptop.

Quads

Kudos0

It's not in a folder.  It's plugged into the laptop.  F12 gets me to the boot menu on the laptop.

Kudos0

What the Heck are you doing with F12??    

Quads

Kudos0

Nothing.  I haven't turned the laptop on.

Kudos0

The 2 easiest ways to get to the Advanced  Startup / Repair options with Windows 8   (Vista and Win 7 used F8)  is 

a) At the Windows 8 Start Screen, if it is not blocked By the Ransomware.  Screenshot below borrowed from Bleeping Computer showing part of the process

OR

b) The Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL  and at the same time as chooosing Restart from the 3 power options holding down the Shift Key

As Dell themselves put it  "Click the shutdown button, hold down the Shift Key and click Restart from the options provided."

Just depends which one you can get.

Quads

Kudos0

When I have tried to start the laptop, it does not go to the W8 Start screen but instead goes immediately to the ICE lock screen.  I'm not clear on option b.  Do I hold the keys as I try to start the computer? or after it starts and goes to the ICE lock screen?

Kudos0

Like with other ransomware (on Windows 7also) even with the Ransomware running the CTRL+ALT+DEL keys at the same time brings up a full screen options and power button,  but can be different colours, Light green,, dark greenish, blue, red, purple.  ICE Ransom is still in behind but the Screenshot below starts and goes over the top of the Ransom

When you click on the Power button in the lower right hand corner the options appear like above,  You hold down the Shift key on the keyboard as you Click Restart

Quads

Kudos0

Success! The options listed are Continue, Trouble Shoot, or Turn off.  What's next.

Dave.

Kudos0

That is why we are doing little steps, with me finding screenshots to,   Windows 8 is different, although the F8 legacy option like XP, Vista, Windows 7 can be switched on.

Quads

Kudos0

Now you are at this screen

Choose  Troubleshoot Then you will have this screen

Choose Advaned Options Then you will have this screen

Choose  Command Prompt  Then you will have this screen 

Now we are at a similar point as we would be with Vista and  Windows 7 ready to use FRST that is on the Flash Drive

Quads

Kudos0

Making progress.  I'm on the same screen.

Dave.

Kudos0

Read all Fisrt to understand the steps.

• In the command window type in notepad.exe (or Notepad) and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64.exe) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Transfer the log to be able to Please attach the log in  your reply back.

Quads

Kudos0

Here's the text file attached.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

This should be enough to break ICE, but files will still be on your system and the services have to be looked at etc.  This should just get you to be able to load the Desktop for the rest 

Download the script attached, needs to be the same file name as well (fixlist.txt), Copy across to flash drive, so that fixlist.txt is next to FRST64.exe on the Flash Drive  DO NOT DRAG AND DROP to download the script,  it won't work for FRST

NOTE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on that particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system

Do Like previously to start FRST without Windows loading like we did when we first used FRST on the Flash Drive. (there is a difference stated further down)

• In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe or e:\frst64.exe and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • The tool will make a log on the flashdrive (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply (attach).

Quads

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Fixlog.txt attached.

Dave.

File Attachment: 
Kudos0

Now you should be able to load Windows Normally without the ICE Ransom also loading, so now you can see the Desktop.

Quads

Kudos0

Many thanks. I assume running antivirus and utilities is in order.

Kudos0

Did you not understand what I said

"This should be enough to break ICE, but files will still be on your system and the services have to be looked at etc.  This should just get you to be able to load the Desktop for the rest "

Quads

Kudos0

Allright.  Maybe I didn't understand your cryptic message.  Please be more explicit.  Is there something in particular that I should do?

Dave.

Kudos0

Download TFC http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/  and place it on your Desktop. Close your browsers  Then run TFC. It will say when it is finished.

That should clear out the rest of the caches and temp folders. in doing so Delete the Ransomware's backup .dll file.

Quads

Kudos0

Will TFC delete the Ransomware dll files or do I need to find them to delete them myself?

Kudos0

I already stated

"That should clear out the rest of the caches and temp folders. in doing so Delete the Ransomware's backup .dll file."

I have aleady moved the .exe and deleted registry data,  the .exe is moved into a Quarantine folder on your system

"C:\Users\David\AppData\Local\Temp\juucsehegvvdrxusd.exe => Moved successfully."

ICE group should have also altered a Windows service.

But if you don't want to do as I say that is fine, you can go and you can keep everything as it stands now.

Quads

Kudos0

I don't see any .dll file that looks like Ransomware.  I'd like to do exactly what you are asking but I don't understand if TFC deletes the Ransomware files or whether I need to search for them to delete them myself.

in doing so Delete the Ransomware's backup .dll file

Does this mean in doing so TFC willDelete the ...

or

Does this mean in doing so YOU must Delete the...

Dave.

Kudos0

You are not doing as I asked.  

This is easy

I wish you good luck with your system,   I have explained and you are not doing as instructed so I am finished.  You can deal with the rest.

Bye

Quads

Kudos0

I have run TFC.  Is there something more that I should do? Please don't leave without answering my question.

Kudos0

It is as simple as this.  We tell users (who asked for help) what to do with each step, dependent on what they have ans what OS.  and we then also tell the user when all is done and they can go on their merry way (all fixed).

Quads

Replies are locked for this thread.