• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Unauthorized access blocked question

NIS2012
Vista Home Premium 32 bit desktop PC
Vista SP2

Hoping someone can help me understand what this all means.
I do not look at the NIS history as much as I did in the past. But just renewed my 2012 NIS subscription last night, so wanted to make sure all is working well.
So I find this entry in the history log, like 42 entries
Example
Unauthorized Access Blocked (open file)
Actor DFRGNTFS.EXE
Target C:\ProgramFiles\NortonInternetSecurity\Engine\
19.8.1.4\symevnt.sys

The actor in all 42 of these events is DFRGNTFS.EXE
The targets are all Norton related(engine, MUI, program data involving Norton)

I know it's blocked so good
I did google the DFRGNTFS and it seems its a windows disk defragmenter?
In my full NIS history I do not ever see this entry and I have had NIS 2012 for a year
Also read something about it runs when new software is installed.
But u did not install new software, that makes it concerning.

Last night I did update my NIS 2012 subscription and I also installed a Microsoft Vista update that came out 8/27/13 (KB280382)
But neither if those should have installed new software

Replies

Kudos2

Re: Unauthorized access blocked question

Hi, Yes, that's the Windows defragmenter. That it comes into contact with Norton files when doing its job is not strange at all. It would be strange if it didn't. And everything that does come into contact with Norton files and processes are blocked, and this log entry is written. Probably a Norton update that has to do with logging that suddenly makes it appear now when it hasn't before. Because it 100% certainly has come into contact with your NIS before, and been blocked.
Kudos0

Would anyone know if there were any NIS2012 updates yesterday that would spark this activity?
Kudos0

I'm a little concerned since I looked at my full NIS history and never see this warning.
I scanned the DFRGNTFS.EXE and it shows clean
Kudos3

Hi Calls,

No need to be concerned.

All is normal.

Did you launch a manual Windows defragmentation?

Keep in mind that if you let your pc idle for 20 or more minutes, the OS is performing some scheduled tasks and one of those is to defragment your HDD(S).

Go to Control Panel - Scheduled tasks and see how the OS is set to run the Defragmenter.

Hope this helps,

Kudos0

That's the thing I did NOT manually launch defragmentation. And my computer is on nearly 24/7 so there would be many times it is idle. Yet only this morning I see these entries. So if it runs even every 3 months when idle, it would be showing in the history log over the last year
Kudos0

Calls,

When u say 24/7, you mean working all day or there are times that it sleeps/hibernate??

If so, the defragmenter doesn't work when the pc is on standby/sleep or hibernation mode.

Again, do not pay much attention, as NIS blocked this process from accessing it's files.

Regards,

Kudos0

Hi Calls:

I believe Bombastus and Apostolos are correct - There's no need for concern.  I have Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 on my laptop and frequently see Windows Disk Defragmenter (dfrgntfs.exe) blocked in the Norton Product Tamper Protection section of my Norton History when WDD tries to defrag a Norton file.  I upgraded to NIS 20.x (NIS 2013) and still see these blocks.

Please note that I have prevented Vista's WWD from running on a schedule (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter | Run on a Schedule) and WDD will still occasionally run during system idles to defrag critical system boot files - see here for more information.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 23.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos0

Ok I know it's ok but some reason I'm just stuck on this issue.
I came home today and saw that @9:30am today more of these entries are in the log. but that could be due to me maybe interrupting the process earlier this am.
I see on another post that sometimes NIS uses the DFRGNTFS.EXE????
I looked in my Norton tamper logs and NEVER show these entries.
I checked when the windows defrag last ran and it was 9/7/13 not today
So just perplexed why now.
Thought it might be due to me renewing my subscription, but that's not it I don't think
Kudos1

Calls wrote:

I see on another post that sometimes NIS uses the DFRGNTFS.EXE????

Hi Calls:

Two possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head:

Do you have Insight Optimizer enabled at Settings | General | Norton Tasks | Idle TIme Optimizer?  I understand that Norton's idletime Insight Optimizer does indeed use WDD's dfrgntfs.exe for defragging - see AllenM's post here.  So if you have Insight Optimizer enabled, this would cause dfrgntfs.exe to run frequently during idles.  If I recall correctly, Norton schedules Insight Optimizer to start a new scan every time you install or update software.

Secondly, do you have Windows Disk Defragmenter set to run on a regular schedule (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk Defragmenter | Run on a Schedule)?  If so, the WDD in Vista uses low CPU priority and can continue to defrag using reduced resources (less CPU and disk read/write activity) even when your computer comes out of idle (see the Wiki article here for more info).  A manual full WDD defrag on my Vista machine takes almost 2 hours of uninterupted time if I leave my system in idle so I imagine that one of these automatic WDD backgound defrags scheduled with the Task Scheduler could take ages to complete.

I personally have both Insight Optimizer and regularly scheduled Windows Disk Defragmenter defrags disabled because I don't feel there's any benefit to having defrags running this frequently on my system.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 23.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos1

A third possibility is simply that Norton isn't free from bugs and it hasn't logged everything properly before.
Kudos0

First thank you all vey much for helping me to try and understand this.
I'm not trying to discount what y'all are telling me.
Just trying to see how it makes sense.
The part about NIS running optimizer after new software is installed - that concerns me since I do not see any new software. Yet at the same time I installed flash player just about a month ago yet no log such as the one I originally described.
Could it be that 2012 did not log this before?
Those who say that they see this all the time, was that true when you were using NIS 2012? Or just started with 2013?
Wondering if norton just recently added this logging to 2012? But why would they do that for 2012 when it's so old now?
Kudos0

I'm glad to see others post about this.  All 3 of my computers had an alarming (say 20ish) number of these "Unauthorized Access Blocked (open file)" messages in the last 24 hours.  On the XP machine, the culprit most often is "DFRGNTFS.EXE".  On the two Windows 7 machines, the culprit is "SVCHOST.EXE".  All medium risk, all blocked.

I was pretty alarmed to see all this activity, but the good news seems to be that it is all blocked, and all *looks* like Windows activity trying innocently to access Norton files.  But why now?  Was there a LiveUpdate push in the last few days that started making NAV log all these?   Should we expect more in the future?

Kudos0

drexxell wrote:

I'm glad to see others post about this.  All 3 of my computers had an alarming (say 20ish) number of these "Unauthorized Access Blocked (open file)" messages in the last 24 hours. 

This is just speculation, but yesterday (10-Sep-2013)  was Window's Patch Tuesday for September (which occcurs the second Tuesday of every month).  If you have Windows Updates set to run automatically, one of these updates could have triggered a defrag.

------------

Kudos0

I do have Windows Update set to automatic.  Is it common for them to to try an defrag?

Additional information:  Since this morning, I've been monitoring Norton's activity on my computers.  I'm in the middle of a full system scan on one of the Windows 7 machines.  On the other, I have just seen this: 

13 entries, back-to-back over about 2 seconds, listed as "Severity: Info" saying "Norton Community Watch Feedback", Status "Pending".  After those 13 entries are two more (also listed as "Severity: Info") saying "Norton Error Reporting Submission" within 2 seconds of each other.  When I open these two error messages though, I see a lot of info, and if I open "More Details" and look under "Advanced Details" one says "Severity: Low" and one says "Severity: High".

Would there be a relation between all of these and the high activity today?

Kudos0

Further to my previous post, I've gone back through my Norton Product Tamper Protection history and have also seen a large upswing of these blocks for dfrgntfs.exe, starting on 09-Sep-2013 @ 7:41:44 PM and continuing through to the present, so it can't have anything to do with Patch Tuesday.

It could be coincidental, but I currenlty have automactic LiveUpdates disabled on my system and only run my LiveUpdates manually once or twice a day, and noticed I ran a LiveUpdate on 09-Sep-2013 @ 7:41:38 PM.

Sorry, Calls.  I didn't really understand what your concern was until I saw drexxell's post.
------------

Kudos0

I re-started my system (full power down, not just a soft re-boot), ran another manual LiveUpdate, and haven't seen any of these dfgrntfs.exe blocks since.  I'll post back if they re-appear.

------------

Kudos0

Kudos0

Hi to all,

I have to say that I have automatic, (scheduled defragmentation), set to OFF.

I prefer doing this manually.

I do not have any related logs in NIS 2014 history.

Try this out and see if that solves the issue.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Kudos1

Hi Melen:

Are you running Win 7 or WIn 8?  On XP and Vista machines, the program being blocked is dfrgntfs.exe.  Your thread mentioned that the program being blocked on your machine is usually svchost.exe (the main Windows process that runs multiple Windows services like defragging, etc.), which is what drexxall reported seeing on his Win 7 machines.

And for other users who are not seeing this problem, here's a screenshot of my recent history showing that these blocks were occurring multiple times per minute around midnight last night before I powered off my system.

My system re-start this morning seems to have solved (or at least improved) the problem.  I've gotten a few "unauthorized access blocked" messages for svchost.exe and services.exe in the past hour, but these infrequent blocks are normal on my system.

------------

Kudos0

Thanks all for the feedback
I started noticing these 9/10/13 @ around 7:30am central U S time. I did not run Microsoft updates until today around 7:45am
So I don't think it has to do with Microsoft updates.
I did renew my NIS2012 subscription in the evening if Monday 9/9/13. Then noticed this the next morning.
Did anyone else renew a subscription before this started to show in the logs?
Or as brought up earlier, did norton just change the way they log things? But would they add that change to an older product like 2012?
Kudos0

Yes Win7, nowhere in my logs are there anything reported about "dfrgntfs.exe." Also its not only svchost.exe but iexplore.exe so this could hardly have anything to do with defragmentation.

Kudos0

The unauthorized blocked svchost warnings I have had before.
But it's these DFRGNTFS .EXE ones that are now concerning me
Are these files being misused to do harm?
Kudos0

And thus norton is blocking them ?
I scan this DFRGNTFS .EXE and its safe plus it's in the right folder system32.
So two main questions first one now being is there something malicious going on?
Or is norton just logging things different?
Kudos2

It is definitely not malicious.
Kudos0

My subscription was updated about a month ago.  In the last year I also updated the version of NAV on the two Win 7 computers (something like 6 months ago) but have been lazy about not updating the version on the XP machine.  So it seems to be version-independent.  It could be that some LiveUpdate they put out in the last 2 days is doing this.  I'm suspicious of the fact that it started happening to Calls withing a minute of a manual LiveUpdate run....

I've just run a full system scan on everything, and aside from a few tracking cookies, nothing was found.  Still watching behavior to see if these warning messages continue.

Kudos0

Ok I accidentally clicked resolved because my stupid smart phone.
How do I remove the resolved status because this surely is not resolved
Kudos0

To clarify mine started about 7:30 am on 9/10/13.
I did not do a manual live update prior to this logging. I renewed my subscription to NUS the night before and I ran a Microsoft update. But not a nortonanual live update
Kudos0

No idea...I just tried, but can't see how to "unresolve" it.

The behavior still continues on the XP machine. Just had a large set of these medium severity issue blocked.

On one of the Win 7 machines (laptop) I haven't seen it since 6:54 am this morning (Eastern time).  Since it seems to have come in waves around every 3 hours or so, this seems to be good news.  The other Win 7 (desktop) has had one medium level issue in the last few hours, but not the massive groupings.

Kudos0

Well yesterday 9/10/13 it started around 7:40 or so. I had to reboot my pc for other reasons . When I came home from work it showed the same logging at like 9:30 am. But that might have been a continuation of the previous defrag since I interrupted it by rebooting the PC
Kudos0

lmacri wrote:

Further to my previous post, I've gone back through my Norton Product Tamper Protection history and have also seen a large upswing of these blocks for dfrgntfs.exe, starting on 09-Sep-2013 @ 7:41:44 PM and continuing through to the present, so it can't have anything to do with Patch Tuesday.

Sorry, I have to correct a comment I made in message # 16.  The large jump in blocks for dfrgntfs.exe on my VIsta machine actually started on 10/09/2013 at 7:41:44 PM, which is actuaIly Tuesday 10-Sep-2013 (i.e., not Monday 09-Sep-2013), so I can't exclude a glitchy Windows Patch Tuesday update as the cause of the problem. I looked in my Windows Event Viewer and my system re-booted at at 6:45 PM after my Patch Tuesday updates were installed, which is about an hour before all the blocks started.

Good news.  I still haven't seen any seen any of these dfrgntfs.exe blocks since I powered off and re-started my machine this morning.

------------

Kudos0

Now when I renewed the NIS2012 subscriptions it was for 3 PCs one of which is my wife's laptop
I looked at the history on the laptop and it does not show this logging
Kudos0

lmacri wrote

Good news.  I still haven't seen any seen any of these dfrgntfs.exe blocks since I powered off and re-started my machine this morning.

------------

Unfortunately a full power-down of my XP and restart doesn't resolve it.  I got a huge blast of them a few minutes ago on there. 

Still quiet on the two Win 7 machines (as far as no major 20+ medium "unauthorized access" warnings) for the last 3.5 hours (desktop) and 6.5 hours (laptop).  The laptop hasn't been rebooted since the 6:53 am set.  I did reboot the desktop, but not a hard shut down like the XP.

Will breathe easier if I go a full 24 hours quiet on them though...

Just wish this wasn't happening on 9/11...that isn't helping my nerves at all.

Kudos0

Calls wrote:
Ok I accidentally clicked resolved because my stupid smart phone.
How do I remove the resolved status because this surely is not resolved

Hi Calls:

Log into the forum, navigate to message # 13 which is currently marked as the solution, click on the Option link in the top right corner and choose "Unmark as Accepted Solution".

Kudos0

Exactly how many warnings do you have? I counted 25 here.

Kudos0

I counted up about 45 of the DFRGNTFS
No I'm at work so I don't know what my pic is doing
Kudos0

I have the same problem right now. Nine of the entries are saying "community feedback: pending" and there's two mentioning "Norton error reporting submission". I've already did a full system scan and found nothing. On top of that, when I ran disk defragmenter manually 20+ entries showed "Unauthorized access blocked (open file). This problem didn't start until yesterday evening for me. 

Kudos0

Melen wrote:

Exactly how many warnings do you have? I counted 25 here.

Hi Melen:

I counted 96 in total - 16 between 7:41:44 PM and 7:42:38 PM on 10/09/2013 (yesterday) and 80 between 12:08:22 AM and 12:11:23 AM on 11/09/2913 (today in the early morning).

In every case, the actor was C:\Windows\System32\dfrgntfs.exe (actor PID 2244).  The Norton files reported as the target varied but almost every one was located in a subfolder of  C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_20.1.0.24\.

I changed my power settings to keep my system in continuous idle mode for a few hours this afternoon and still haven't seen any more of these frequent blocks for dfrgntfs.exe, but dfrgntfs.exe didn't run during the extend idle so I can't confirm that a background idletime defrag will trigger these blocks.

EDIT:

I don't know if it's relevant, but I always have Norton Community Watch (NCW) disabled and there are no recent entries in my Norton Error Reporting (NER) history.  That might be why I'm not seeing the same NCW and NER errors as others have reported in this thread, but these errors might simply be related to a temporary connection problem with the Symantec servers last night that prevented NCW from sending data back to the servers.

------------

Kudos0

lmacri wrote:
The Norton files reported as the target varied but almost every one was located in a subfolder of  C:\ProgramData\Norton\{0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7}\NIS_20.1.0.24\.

I googled {0C55C096-0F1D-4F28-AAA2-85EF591126E7} and in my case it looks like the Norton extensions for my Firefox browser (coFFPlgn.dll, IPSFFPl.dll) might have been the intended target of dfrgntfs.exe for many of these blocks.

------------

Kudos0

I've checked my Norton history to find more of these entries regarding the "unauthorized access blocked" which DOES concern DFRGNTFS.EXE. I'm too lazy to count them all but I can clearly see theres over 60 of them in all. The first wave of these entries didn't start until Sept. 9, 2013 in the evening. That was monday. Windows Update didn't start its tuesday patches yet...Everytime I used disk defragmenter, this would start and it is trying to access Norton's files. I have my defragmenter setting off and only use it manually. Windows Update isn't set to automatic but I have it telling me when an update is available. I'm starting to think something's been recently changed.

Kudos0

Hi LMarie2013,

It's very strange, I have the same settings as you more or less, in my case WU is disabled & also the notifications and I have NIS optimizer set to off.

I've checked 5 mins ago in NIS History and I have NOT a single entry concerning DFRGNTFS.EXE.

Regards,

Kudos1

SendOfJive has posted a comment in Melen's thread here that everyone might want to read.

I'm sure that the large number of  "unauthorized" blocks that some of us are seeing is unusual, but not dangerous.  The purpose of Norton Product Tamper Protection is to prevent outside programs from making changes to your Norton product.  The primary objective is to prevent malware from turning off Norton's antivirus protection and attacking your computer, but it also prevents any outside program like Windows Disk Deframenter from performing any read/write/delete of Norton files.  As SendOfJive mentioned, Symantec might have recently added some additional Norton files that fall under the umbrella of Norton Product Tamper Protection that has triggered these large number of blocks.

@LMarie2013:

Welcome to the Norton forum.

Is your Windows OS XP or Vista?  To date, everyone in this thread who has seen dfrgntfs.exe as the primary program being blocked is an XP or Vista user.  That's likely because as of Win 7, the Windows svchost.exe process runs a service called defragsvc for defragging (see here).

------------

Kudos0

Imacri,

Can you please disable this service in XP via services.msc and/or scheduled tasks and see if the issue persists?

See also if you can disable it in regedit.

You can always run disc defragmenter on-demand whenever you wish.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Kudos1

Hi again,

Maybe the boot optimization tool running in Vista is the culprit.

It runs if the system is idle for 10 mins and also when booting.

Try to disable it by following this:

1.  Open the Windows Registry (Run > regedit)  (AS ADMIN).
2.  Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction
3.  Change the "Enable" key from Y to N

REBOOT your pc.

Let me know if it works.

Regards,

Kudos0

Apostolos wrote:

Imacri,

Can you please disable this service in XP via services.msc and/or scheduled tasks and see if the issue persists?

See also if you can disable it in regedit. You can always run disc defragmenter on-demand whenever you wish.

Hi Apostolos:

As mentioned in message # 10, I have always had Insight Optimer and scheduled defrags with Windows Disk Defragmenter disabled.  I also have automatic Windows Updates disabled.  I'm aware of the Windows XP and Vista idletime defrag of important system boot files that can only be disabled in the Windows registry (see message # 8) and this is likely what triggered these blocks on my Vista machine in the first place.

Since this unusual behavior seems to have resolved itself on my machine when I re-booted this morning  (message # 17) I'm not the best person to be disabling services and registry keys to see if it fixes the problem, but someone else might want to give it a try.

I might try a manual Windows Disk Defragmenter tomorrow when I have a few hours just to see if the blocks re-occur (they did when LMarie2013 ran a defrag, so this wouldn't surprise me) but I'm not overly concerned at this point - I'm just posting my observations for other users just in case there's some common factor that might explain why these blocks happened in the first place.

------------

Kudos0

@ Imacri

It's Windows Vista SP2 that I have. It really DOES sound like something has been added. When I see this large number of "unauthorized" blocks, it is alarming only because I don't understand too much of it. Maybe I'm just being a worrywart. I do agree with what SendofJive is saying though.

Kudos0

Ok just to add. When I came home from work today I looked in recent NIS history and saw the DFRGNTFS.EXE
Entries again. Seemed to happen around 9:30am
So is the thought on this that NIS is triggering the running of DFRGNTFS.EXE? And in turn DFRGNTFS.EXE is attempting to reach norton items?
It would seem off that disk defragmentation would be going on daily.
Can a norton staffer let us know if there was a update that would trigger the running of DFRGNTFS.EXE?
Kudos0

Also I appreciate the work arounds but I really don't want to be messing with settings and the registry
Kudos0

Also if its just a new way norton logs, would disk defrag be running everyday
Kudos0

Calls wrote:

So is the thought on this that NIS is triggering the running of DFRGNTFS.EXE? And in turn DFRGNTFS.EXE is attempting to reach norton items? It would seem off that disk defragmentation would be going on daily.

Hi Calls:

I don't think you definitively answered my questions in message # 10 about whether you have Norton's Insight Optimizer enabled and whether you have Windows Disk Defragmenter set to run on a regular schedule.  If the answer to either question is Yes then there will be certain days where your Vista dfrgntfs.exe is active over an extended period of time, and at some point your defragger will likely be blocked by Norton's Product Tamper Protection when it attempts to defrag a protected Norton file.  The frequency of Insight Optimizer defrags will vary from machine to machine and will depend on how often a user updates or installs new software on their system.

See here for more information on Norton's Insight Optimizer.

------------

Kudos0

"Can a norton staffer let us know if there was a update that would trigger the running of DFRGNTFS.EXE?"

Exactly, time for someone at Norton to comment in this thread. I saw the same entries today in my log.

Replies are locked for this thread.