• All Community
    • All Community
    • Forums
    • Ideas
    • Blogs

Not what you are looking for? Ask the experts!

Kudos0

Upgrading from NIS 2013 to 2014 kills Internet Connection

The facts:

Upgraded Norton Internet Security 2013 to 2014 without problem on two Windows 8 (64-bit) computers. But on computer number 3, the upgrade results in a broken Internet connection -- unable to connect to the Internet. It generates the Norton errors 8505 and 129 (can't connect to Norton's servers). The peer-to-peer network connections work just fine. This computer, like the others, is connected via ethernet, not wireless. All three desktop computers are configured nearly identically in hardware and software.

Per Norton's instructions, I uninstalled NIS 2014 using the Norton Removal Tool, rebooted, and installed NIS 2013 -- and the Internet connection worked just fine. But upgrading to NIS 2014 again resulted in a dead Internet connection once again.

Even after uninstalling NIS 2014, rebooting, and installing NIS 2014 from the full download from Norton instead of using the Norton Downloader, NIS 2014 killed the Internet connection.

Help! Any idea of what could be causing this behavior? I've built, upgraded, or brought back from the dead about 70 Windows computers, but this problem has me scratching my head. Thanks for what I hope will be the forthcoming help.

Replies

Kudos0

Re: Upgrading from NIS 2013 to 2014 kills Internet Connection

The facts:

Upgraded Norton Internet Security 2013 to 2014 without problem on two Windows 8 (64-bit) computers. But on computer number 3, the upgrade results in a broken Internet connection -- unable to connect to the Internet. It generates the Norton errors 8505 and 129 (can't connect to Norton's servers). The peer-to-peer network connections work just fine. This computer, like the others, is connected via ethernet, not wireless. All three desktop computers are configured nearly identically in hardware and software.

Per Norton's instructions, I uninstalled NIS 2014 using the Norton Removal Tool, rebooted, and installed NIS 2013 -- and the Internet connection worked just fine. But upgrading to NIS 2014 again resulted in a dead Internet connection once again.

Even after uninstalling NIS 2014, rebooting, and installing NIS 2014 from the full download from Norton instead of using the Norton Downloader, NIS 2014 killed the Internet connection.

Help! Any idea of what could be causing this behavior? I've built, upgraded, or brought back from the dead about 70 Windows computers, but this problem has me scratching my head. Thanks for what I hope will be the forthcoming help.

Kudos0

Hi dlauber:

I've seen this type of thing happen before with previous versions of NIS - see baldeagleuk's post here.  It will likely require a more aggressive wipe of the old NIS 2013 files using the Norton Removal Tool.  There is a link in that thread on instructions for performing a wipe, and the new NIS 21.x (NIS 2014) offline installer can be found at www.norton.com/latestnis.  If your wizard asks you if you are planning to re-install NIS, be sure to answer "No" since this will wipe additional residual NIS 2013 registry settings and user profiles that might be causing the problem.

You should also read the comments in that post about previous installations of other security software (e.g., McAfee).  If you fall into that category post back before proceeding with the clean re-install and let us know what other security software you have (or even had) on your problem computer.

Let us know if you have any questions before proceeding.

------------
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 23.0.1 * IE 9.0 * NIS 2013 v. 20.4.0.40
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Kudos2

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.
Accepted Solution
Kudos0

Success. lancea's solution wasn't the one for me, but it pointed me in the right direction. Turning Network iControl off in Asus Suite II restored the Internet connection. Thank for you pointing me to lancea's solution.

Kudos0

Glad I could help.

When I saw that solution, I was fairly sure it might help a number of users.

Things happen. Export/Backup your Identity Safe data.

Replies are locked for this thread.